PDA

View Full Version : Clippers dig deeper to reach daylight

boutons_deux
05-14-2012, 08:17 AM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — I've got your grit and grind here, Memphis, and they are wearing Clippers uniforms.

The Grizzlies were supposed to be the better team, with fans holding up "Believe Memphis" towels and a newspaper columnist here detailing the intangibles early on that would separate Memphis from L.A.

But while the columnist moves on now to write about the minor league baseball team here or the town's best bowlers, the Clippers have already landed in San Antonio — and with no need of a plane to get them there.

The Clippers were the tougher team when it really counted, oozing with determination and digging deeper when everyone had them buried after Game 6.

I didn't even pack clothes for San Antonio, never being so wrong and absolutely thrilled now to look so silly.

As often as the headlines go sour in professional sports, what a kick to hear Coach Vinny Del Negro walk through the locker room singing, "It's a miracle."

Del Negro stopped to crack: "I just got a text from Mike Eruzione."

Everything, including ABC-TV's pregame concentration on Memphis, was stacked against the Clippers. And yet inside the Clippers' locker room Chris Paul made sure everyone knew he had already booked a flight to San Antonio for his wife and son.

"And I didn't want them going there without me," he said.

Memphis has its mottoes; the Clippers have their leader in Paul.

But maybe this series never gets this far if it isn't another veteran in Caron Butler who opts to play with a broken hand and no pain medication.

Maybe it was the third time, or the fourth, that he got his hand whacked, but all Butler can remember is that he could not feel the fingers on his hand as he went to shoot free throws.

"I'm going to be crying all the way to San Antonio," he said to the courtside media, and that was with two quarters still to play because he believed his team was going to prevail.

When he did come out of the game, he walked the sideline with Del Negro. At one point he got in the face of Paul asking for more.

And then he was screaming, "Yes, yes, yes," the game almost over, hugs all around.

"To get that win and embrace all the fellas, the pain was well worth it," said Butler.

How painful might the results have been?

Instead of maybe coaching his last game with the Clippers, Del Negro was taking congratulations from team President Andy Roeser and a telephone call as well from owner Donald Sterling.

"It's a good step forward for the franchise, and I appreciate their support," said Del Negro. "But it's all about the players; they did this."

Del Negro did not hear from Clippers General Manager Neil Olshey after the game; Olshey spent a good deal of time during this series with Memphis lead assistant Dave Joerger. Maybe Joerger needed some consoling.

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&id=2112958&postId=2112958&postUserId=7&sessionToken=&catId=6219&curAbsIndex=1&resultsUrl=DID%3D6%26DFCL%3D1000%26DSB%3Drank%2523 desc%26DBFQ%3DuserId%253A7%26DL.w%3D%26DL.d%3D10%2 6DQ%3DsectionId%253A6219%26DPS%3D0%26DPL%3D3

spurspokesman
05-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Very touching stuff. Now let's end there movie. Roll Credits "spurs in 5 "

Sec24Row7
05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
:lol Del negro doesn't hear from Clips GM after game...

timvp
05-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Thank the basketball lord that Pop doesn't give us a play-by-play about who texts him after games.

Jimcs50
05-14-2012, 08:32 AM
I thought Vinnie did a great coaching job in this series.

He deserves another year no matter what happens in SA series.

There were a lot of unrealistic expectations in the preseason after the Paul signing IMO. If they had Billups in the lineup, they would have been the 3 seed for sure.

100%duncan
05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — I've got your grit and grind here, Memphis, and they are wearing Clippers uniforms.

The Grizzlies were supposed to be the better team, with fans holding up "Believe Memphis" towels and a newspaper columnist here detailing the intangibles early on that would separate Memphis from L.A.

But while the columnist moves on now to write about the minor league baseball team here or the town's best bowlers, the Clippers have already landed in San Antonio — and with no need of a plane to get them there.

The Clippers were the tougher team when it really counted, oozing with determination and digging deeper when everyone had them buried after Game 6.

I didn't even pack clothes for San Antonio, never being so wrong and absolutely thrilled now to look so silly.

As often as the headlines go sour in professional sports, what a kick to hear Coach Vinny Del Negro walk through the locker room singing, "It's a miracle."

Del Negro stopped to crack: "I just got a text from Mike Eruzione."

Everything, including ABC-TV's pregame concentration on Memphis, was stacked against the Clippers. And yet inside the Clippers' locker room Chris Paul made sure everyone knew he had already booked a flight to San Antonio for his wife and son.

"And I didn't want them going there without me," he said.

Memphis has its mottoes; the Clippers have their leader in Paul.

But maybe this series never gets this far if it isn't another veteran in Caron Butler who opts to play with a broken hand and no pain medication.

Maybe it was the third time, or the fourth, that he got his hand whacked, but all Butler can remember is that he could not feel the fingers on his hand as he went to shoot free throws.

"I'm going to be crying all the way to San Antonio," he said to the courtside media, and that was with two quarters still to play because he believed his team was going to prevail.

When he did come out of the game, he walked the sideline with Del Negro. At one point he got in the face of Paul asking for more.

And then he was screaming, "Yes, yes, yes," the game almost over, hugs all around.

"To get that win and embrace all the fellas, the pain was well worth it," said Butler.

How painful might the results have been?

Instead of maybe coaching his last game with the Clippers, Del Negro was taking congratulations from team President Andy Roeser and a telephone call as well from owner Donald Sterling.

"It's a good step forward for the franchise, and I appreciate their support," said Del Negro. "But it's all about the players; they did this."

Del Negro did not hear from Clippers General Manager Neil Olshey after the game; Olshey spent a good deal of time during this series with Memphis lead assistant Dave Joerger. Maybe Joerger needed some consoling.

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&id=2112958&postId=2112958&postUserId=7&sessionToken=&catId=6219&curAbsIndex=1&resultsUrl=DID%3D6%26DFCL%3D1000%26DSB%3Drank%2523 desc%26DBFQ%3DuserId%253A7%26DL.w%3D%26DL.d%3D10%2 6DQ%3DsectionId%253A6219%26DPS%3D0%26DPL%3D3

Oh hell yes, they did.

Dex
05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Thank the basketball lord that Pop doesn't give us a play-by-play about who texts him after games.

:lol You think Pop actually texts?

I can just see him struggling with T9 like an old curmudgeon.

Mr. Body
05-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Pop gets texts from his fave sommelier after games. Nothing else.

This sounds like a team very happy to be here. Hope they don't have the time to regroup for the next game tomorrow.

And... Memphis was the better team. Someone posted on realgm or somewhere how they lead LAC almost every quarter of the series, yet still managed to lose. A lot of this is on Memphis, although having the best player on the court by far really helped the Clips.

therealtruth
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Pop gets texts from his fave sommelier after games. Nothing else.

This sounds like a team very happy to be here. Hope they don't have the time to regroup for the next game tomorrow.

And... Memphis was the better team. Someone posted on realgm or somewhere how they lead LAC almost every quarter of the series, yet still managed to lose. A lot of this is on Memphis, although having the best player on the court by far really helped the Clips.

Exactly. Too much Chris Paul. He won several games down the stretch. The Spurs will want to avoid close games.

boutons_deux
05-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Specter of Spurs curbs Clippers' celebration

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Clippers' Game 7 celebration started in bits and pieces on the court Sunday as the clock wound closer and closer to zero.

Chris Paul barked "Let's go! We goin' finish it!" with 30.2 seconds left in the game.

Caron Butler screamed "Yes, yes, yes!" as the final ticks ticked away.

And when it was finally over, Mo Williams walked by the scorer's table, muttering "Big win right here, man," immensely pleased that the Clippers had won their first Game 7 in franchise history.

"This was one of the best series this year by far, hands down," center Reggie Evans said afterward.

It was a good thing players got to the celebrating early, because there was little time for that after Sunday's 82-72 playoff victory over the Memphis Grizzlies. A date with the top-seeded San Antonio Spurs looms Tuesday night.

"Different type of team, different type of series," Coach Vinny Del Negro said after the Clippers' dramatic upset. "San Antonio has played as well, if not the most consistently, of anybody throughout the year. They've won championships for a reason. They're not going to beat themselves."

But they are favored to beat the Clippers.

San Antonio took two of three from Los Angeles during the regular season, including a three-point overtime victory in February. The Clippers nabbed the most recent matchup, beating the Spurs by 12 on a night the team did not have guard Tony Parker.

Among the Spurs' many advantages: a week of rest, and home court. Considering that the Clippers just stole two wins in Memphis, Del Negro was not so concerned about the latter.

"We've been a pretty good road team," he said. "Our demeanor is pretty good in terms of handling situations."

Players said Sunday that they sense growth, even after just one playoff series. Guard Randy Foye said the team learned from its mistakes in a Game 6 loss at home and did a better job staying composed when Memphis made a late charge in Game 7. Veteran center Kenyon Martin said that with each game, this young team is learning.

"The thing about Game 7 of a series, if you didn't learn anything from Game 1, then you don't deserve to be here in the first place," Martin said. "I think guys really, really embrace the moment."

Del Negro called the Spurs "deep and experienced," and players said they anticipate a more mental, potentially less physical battle against their coach's former team.

But win or lose in Texas, Del Negro said the season has been "a huge turning point for the franchise."

"There's a direction now to go," he said.

And that direction, at least for now, is southwest.

http://mobile.latimes.com/p.p?m=b&a=rp&id=2115129&postId=2115129&postUserId=7&sessionToken=&catId=6219&curAbsIndex=0&resultsUrl=DID%3D6%26DFCL%3D1000%26DSB%3Drank%2523 desc%26DBFQ%3DuserId%253A7%26DL.w%3D%26DL.d%3D10%2 6DQ%3DsectionId%253A6219%26DPS%3D0%26DPL%3D3