PDA

View Full Version : What MMA Fighter do the 2012 Spurs remind you of?

Stringer_Bell
05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Fairly simple topic, tbh. I'm just hyping myself up for the game tomorrow, my first playoff game in any sport, and I thought this would be a fun discussion. :flag:

I'd liken this season's team to Dominick Cruz. I know people either like him or hate him (much like the Spurs), but from a strictly fighting perspective you can't talk shit about what he's been able to do against EVERY dude he's faced while Champion. It's all about the disciplined pace and the technical offensive arsenal. He doesn't have to be flashy, just effective and constant. Like Cruz, the Spurs dictate where the fight goes and the longer it lasts the better.

I also thought about comparing the Spurs to BJ Penn's LW Championship run when he was beating the shit out of everyone with no remorse, but Penn ended up losing to a more technical/quicker fighter and I don't think the Spurs are in danger of facing any team BOTH technical/quicker then they are.

ace3g
05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
With teams still trying to figure out how to gameplan for the Spurs unorthodox 10 man playoff rotation, the media still critiquing them for being old, boring, and not flashy, and still relying on fundamentally sound basketball to win games; I'd compare the 2012 Spurs to the Machida "era".

Machida had that unorthodox style with the influx of fundamental Karate that threw off his opponents. He wasn't a flashy fighter but still had the punching power to finishes off champions (Rashad). Machida is also a respectable fighter (not much trash talk).

shyne
05-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I gotta go with JDS. Humble, and quiet but carry a big stick.