PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Inc. rips TimVP posts!

Pages : [1] 2

obijuan
05-15-2012, 04:24 PM
(Email TimVP at [email protected]!)

I was reading the scouting report on ESPN by John Carroll of Scouts Inc. and he blatanly ripped TimVP's posts!

One of the biggest problems for the Spurs in this series will be their ability to defend the smaller perimeter players of the L.A. Clippers. Besides Tony Parker the Spurs struggle to defend on the perimeter. Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe, Randy Foye, and Mo Williams are extremely quick and talented scorers.

Perhaps the biggest weakness of San Antonio's defense is the ability to defend small guards. Outside of Tony Parker, there's no one on the team who is above average at defending such players. More bluntly, everyone else is either bad or really bad at defending small guards. Unfortunately, the Clippers have four small guards who can play in Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe, Mo Williams and Randy Foye.

Bledsoe and Williams will cause problems for the Spurs bench players such as Gary Neal who is a defensive liability and Manu Ginobili. Ginobili is an aggressive defender especially against players with size and strength but he will struggle to defend the speed of the Clipper guards.

When Parker is on the bench, Gary Neal is going to be a major defensive liability no matter who he's defending. Manu Ginobili has done a much better job defending size than speed this season. In this series, Ginobili is going to be forced to defend smaller, quicker players who can score. If you've been following along this season, you know that's not a good thing.

Popovich will be forced to utilize Patty Mills in this series in order to help limit the effectiveness of the Clipper guards, especially those that come off the bench.

Mills is far from a great defender but his skillset on that end could be useful against the Clippers. He can pressure the basketball and guard against speed, two traits that could be in high demand. If Neal can't hang on offense or defense, Mills will be the next in line. Personally, I think he's going to get a shot at some point. Let's hope he's ready.

The pace of the game will be an important factor in this series. The Spurs want to get out and run for easy baskets. They like to create early opportunities for themselves that they can exploit. The problem for the Spurs in this series is that the Clippers are the slowest paced team still left in the playoffs. Chris Paul has the ability to control the pace of games and not allow the Spurs to play up and down.

Not only do the Spurs run for easy buckets, they run to create mismatches that they can then exploit in their early-offense sets. The bad news is that the Clippers are going to splash some cold water on that strategy. Not only are they the slowest paced team still alive in the playoffs, Paul is without question the game's best player at controlling the pace of games.

During the regular season the Clippers averaged 91.8 possessions per game. In order to defeat the Grizzlies the Clippers slowed the pace down even more, with less than 90 possessions per game. The Spurs on the other hand averaged 95.1 possessions in the first round of the playoffs versus the Jazz. However, they will struggle to speed up the pace of the game with Chris Paul in the game.

In the regular season, the Clippers played at a pace of 91.8 possessions per game. To beat the Grizzlies, they dropped that number to under 90. The Spurs, conversely, averaged 95.1 possessions per game and they've played at the league's fastest pace so far in the playoffs. However, it's going to be next to impossible to speed up this series with Paul at the helm of the Clippers.

The Spurs have lost only one time since late February when they had at least 95 possessions in a game, so it is imperative that the Clippers slow the pace of each and every game in this series.

And that's unfortunate because the Spurs have lost only one time since Feb. 22 in games that have had at least 95 possessions.

Almost every time the Spurs took the court this season they had an advantage with their team’s depth. They can put ten players on the court and not worry about a letdown of production. However the Clippers are the one team that match the Spurs depth and in a series where the Clippers are coming in banged up and somewhat fatigued it will be extremely important that their bench delivers. The Clippers have ten players that they can throw on the court who can contribute. This was extremely obvious in their Game 7 against Memphis on Sunday when along with Chris Paul, Eric Bledsoe, Mo Williams, Nick Young, Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin won the game for the Clippers in the fourth quarter.

Against almost every team in the NBA, the Spurs have a decided advantage when it comes to depth; San Antonio rolls ten deep and there's nary a letdown when the bench unit is on the court. Keyword: Almost. The Clippers very well could be the only exception to that statement still alive in the championship race. They too have ten players who can contribute on a nightly basis. In Game 7 against the Grizzlies, their bench of Eric Bledsoe, Mo Williams, Nick Young, Reggie Evans and Kenyon Martin basically won the game by playing remarkably well down the stretch.

The Clippers have a closer and his name is Chris Paul. In the playoffs it is imperative that a team have a player with the skills to make plays in the fourth quarter and down the stretch of games. Chris Paul is one of the most dangerous closers in the game because he can beat opponents with his shot or a pass.

There's a lot of talk about who the best closer is in the NBA. While there are a lot of great players in this league who step up in money time, I think Paul is the most dangerous all-around threat late in the game. He steps up under pressure and can beat you with a shot or a pass.

Paul is a fourth quarter player. His produces more in the fourth quarter than any other 12 minutes of the game. Chris Paul is fourth in the NBA in clutch scoring averaging 4.0 points per game in the clutch.

The stats agree: in the clutch, Paul averaged more than 40 points and eight assists per 48 minutes. He was also far more productive in fourth quarters than any other quarter. In a close playoff game, he's not a guy you want to see on the opposing team, to say the least.

And there's more........i just got tired of copying and pastinggg :lmao

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nbascouts/post?id=1081

Original posts by TimVPs
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197027
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197069
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197097

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 04:26 PM
:lmao

Should I send ESPN a cease and desist letter?

Sense
05-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Holy shit :lmao

I've always respected LJ's threads and analysis but I never thought ESPN would cop them..

btw another example of a great find by a gnsf

dylankerouac
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
That is ridiculous.

dylankerouac
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
This guy should lose his job!

Spurtacus
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
:lol

timtonymanu
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
:lol What a tool!

Cant_Be_Faded
05-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Rofl holy crap that's almost verbatim

Floyd Pacquiao
lol thats fucking bullshit!!get him timvp

NASpurs
timvp's pen name is John Carroll on ESPN. Now we know.

sa_butta
WOW, the similarities are uncanny.

Spursmania
05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
WTF? That's ridiculous...:lol

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Plagiarism, intellectual property, copyright, blah, blah, blah.

Sense
05-15-2012, 04:33 PM
timvp should work for espn :lol

TimmehC
05-15-2012, 04:34 PM
:lol espn
:lol making people pay for "insider" to read timvp's analysis.

EVAY
05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
This guy should lose his job!

Well, at a minimum, he should give a big piece of his paycheck to LJ.

VBM

trendsetter/sets trends

timvp
WoW.

Venti Quattro
Someone is going to get banned.

sehui
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
can we just revoke ESPN's rights for the NBA, and just make NBA exclusive on TNT?

TDMVPDPOY
sue em, if you cant afford the legal case, u can always sell SR

Sec24Row7
Thats incredible... that should give LJ that guy's job.

Cant_Be_Faded
What are the laws in regards to intellectual rights to stuff posted on a free online forum?

Can the material posted be fair game to plagiarize?

Jayem
05-15-2012, 04:37 PM
maybe timvp copied him?

Sense
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I wonder what his sn is..

Trainwreck2100
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
can we just revoke ESPN's rights for the NBA, and just make NBA exclusive on TNT?

send it back to nbc

timvp
05-15-2012, 04:39 PM
maybe timvp copied him?

:lol Good one.

Libri
05-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Should I send ESPN a cease and desist letter?

If it was EN I'm sure you would have done it already. Am I right?

Slomo
05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
What are the laws in regards to intellectual rights to stuff posted on a free online forum?

Can the material posted be fair game to plagiarize?

I'm no expert, but one of the guiding principles of open source materials is, "do with it whatever you want, just don't claim your the author when your not" or in other words, name your source.

So he should have named LJ as the source - which I don't think would be beneficial for his career...

Venti Quattro
:lol Good one.

LJ, you should start finding John Carroll in Spurstalk and ban him.

VBM
This would make a solid Deadspin article with the love they have for ESPN and all...

bus driver
maybe timvp copied him?

was going to say something, but good point :wakeup

Sense
maybe timvp copied him?

? Just look at the dates of both.

Mugen
05-15-2012, 04:41 PM
approve my John Carroll troll asap!

NASpurs
LJ, you should start finding John Carroll in Spurstalk and ban him.

I think he posts under the name "lefty". Ban lefty either way.

thispego
maybe timvp copied him?

crc21209
:lol Damn, even more evidence that timvp is a fucking bad ass. Nice job. :tu Well, now we know that some of the guys at ESPN come to SpursTalk...

timvp
05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah unless time travel is possible, my ish was up first.

bus driver
? Just look at the dates of both.

even a better point

Trill Clinton
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/bertstare/grand/is_this_real_life101.gif

Venti Quattro
I think he posts under the name "lefty". Ban lefty either way.

I'd actually lose even more respect for ESPN if I found out that lefty made that article.

Slomo
05-15-2012, 04:43 PM

ESPN pulled a Buddy Holly

bus driver
Yeah unless time travel is possible, my ish was up first.

so u going to collect from espn? dont let them steal your shit

Kori Ellis
Hilarious.. especially hilarious since the guy is an ex-NBA coach.

Beanzamillion21
05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh man. This is what JaVale McGee was talking about today. Nobody wants to actually do work in reporting anymore, they just want to jack everyone else's shit and/or assume things.

G-Nob
I hope some fronts his ass out in the comments or message board over at espn. Timvp is being way to easy on the guy.

Sense
John Carroll is shitting his pants reading this..

spurs1990
This needs to go viral. Timvp's magnanimity notwithstanding, Carroll will and should have the devil to pay for this.

NASpurs
05-15-2012, 04:45 PM

:lmao should we start checking the 'N Sync forums again for plagiarism?

Sec24Row7
05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Hilarious.. especially hilarious since the guy is an ex-NBA coach.

:rollin

Trainwreck2100

more like the guy Carroll went to, to write that is shitting his pants

GSH
I've seen writers "borrow" before, but I don't rememer anything that blatant. You really should insist on attribution, LJ. Not to punish the guy who claimed credit, but for your own reputation as an analyst and writer.

TD 21
05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Well let's face it, if you're looking for quality Spurs related content on the internet, you won't find no better. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find close to as good. This isn't just run of the mill fluff, this is actual in depth commentary and detailed analysis.

timvp
I edited my initial post in this thread :stirpot:

Trainwreck2100
not to mention the bullshit that this is an insider article that people have to pay for.

Libri
05-15-2012, 04:48 PM

He'll just make up an assistant and blame it on him.

NASpurs
05-15-2012, 04:48 PM
That's what pisses me off more. People are actually paying for this kind of information at ESPN and they're getting blatant plagiarism.

Sec24Row7
05-15-2012, 04:49 PM
I've seen writers "borrow" before, but I don't rememer anything that blatant. You really should insist on attribution, LJ. Not to punish the guy who claimed credit, but for your own reputation as an analyst and writer.

For sure... if someone doesn't want to watch the spurs that is fine... but ffs... if you are going to have to write about them... don't steal the work of someone who does... and knows them inside out.. give them credit...

I would be getting a huge kick out of an ex-NBA coach stealing my stuff though... hah

VBM
05-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Where's the ESPN ombudsmen when you need them?

Sec24Row7
05-15-2012, 04:51 PM

CIA :pop:

spurs1990
05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
not to mention the bullshit that this is an insider article that people have to pay for.

Exactly. Essentially wins the case because the material is considered provided from an informers pov. The bastard can't claim his info was "common knowledge."

G-Nob
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
This would make a solid Deadspin article with the love they have for ESPN and all...

Done. Already reported.

Sense
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Can you really accuse someone of plagiarism if the sentences and words aren't exactly the same ?

I'm just wondering... if Carroll thought this through..

Cant_Be_Faded
05-15-2012, 04:55 PM
We should email bomb espn
anyone have an email link?

Floyd Pacquiao
05-15-2012, 04:56 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1y1blQenw1rn6s30.jpg

Spurfect21
Dude get that fool. At the very least his reputation as a writer has gone to shit. But hopefully this gets out he can be fired for sure

G-Nob
Can you really accuse someone of plagiarism if the sentences and words aren't exactly the same ?

Creditability is what Carroll should be more concerned with.

timvp
05-15-2012, 04:57 PM
The fact that it requires Insider access is pretty lame, tbh. I didn't realize that at first.

05-15-2012, 04:57 PM
timvp probably won't have many legal options but he can definitely get carroll fired.

polandprzem
05-15-2012, 04:58 PM
ohhh come on

BlairForceDejuan
05-15-2012, 04:59 PM
ESPN gonna ESPN.

ESPN, making you constantly wonder how such clowns keep their jobs in this economy since 1942.

TacoCabanaFajitas
05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
The fact that it requires Insider access is pretty lame, tbh. I didn't realize that at first.

Lawsuit! tbh

dylankerouac
05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Says he went to school at Dickinson College:

http://espn.go.com/nba/coaches/_/id/69/john-carroll

Maybe he needs his degree rescinded.

TheSkeptic
05-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Idk. I was always taught that even if you're explaining something in your own words you're still supposed to list a source either in text or as a reference at the end.

Ex. In his article "XYZ" (date of publication, required info, etc.), AuthorName put forward...

Although since it looks like the entire article is basically summarizing Timvp's thread, I'm not even sure if that would salvage this particular situation tbh. :lol

I'm thinking he should've quoted Timvp, done a little work on Synergy, and then given some commentary from there? As long as he's honest about not really watching the Spurs and is clearly explaining that his predictions are based on the stats that could've been a decent read still imo.

polandprzem
05-15-2012, 05:02 PM
I wonder how many NBA boards timvp's are there?

Probably ESPN got 30 of them

Kori Ellis

The fact that WE pay for Insider to read a guy who is ripping off your writing is HILARIOUS.

vander
We should email bomb espn
anyone have an email link?

or we could keep our cool about it and be classy Spurs fans.

polandprzem
05-15-2012, 05:03 PM
naahhhh a coincidence

:p:

:fight

ALVAREZ6
05-15-2012, 05:04 PM

should i send espn a cease and desist letter?

yes!!!!

Fuck espn.

Sense
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Whether it was him, or someone else giving him timvp's post, someone should have done a little research on these forums.

TheSkeptic
05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
or we could keep our cool about it and be classy Spur fans.

How is letting ESPN know that one of their writers has failed in his duties a bad thing? He's making people pay for information that's available for free.
To compound matters he didn't even have the class to list his reference and add his own commentary.

I know that online content writers are underpaid and I get that he was probably trying to beat a deadline. In terms of professional courtesy, however, not listing your source like that is in poor taste.

G-Nob
05-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Anyone else disappointed this guy obviously isn't watching a lot of spurs games? I wanted some real analysis from another opinion.

Paranoid Pop
05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Well let's face it, if you're looking for quality Spurs related content on the internet, you won't find no better. In fact, you'll be hard pressed to find close to as good. This isn't just run of the mill fluff, this is actual in depth commentary and detailed analysis.

Agreed, I don't agree with timvp on everything but the quality of the takes from him but also some others like Bruno is pretty much the best you can find regarding the Spurs. 48moh has some nice writing (they're probably the best for "stories") but for pure substance and in-depth analysis, ST is where it's at. Easily the best Spurs website bar none.

chazley
05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Wooow fuck him, where do we complain at?

vander
05-15-2012, 05:14 PM
How is letting ESPN know that one of their writers has failed in his duties a bad thing? He's making people pay for information that's available for free.
To compound matters he didn't even have the class to list his reference and add his own commentary.

I know that online content writers are underpaid and I get that he was probably trying to beat a deadline. In terms of professional courtesy, however, not listing your source like that is in poor taste.

timvp can confront him/ESPN if he wants,

Spurs fans would just come across as a bunch of whiny butthurt children :madrun:madrun:madrun

foodie2
05-15-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm a librarian and my husband is a professional writer. We both take copyright and plagiarism very seriously. We both think you should at the very least report this to ESPN.

Spurtacus
05-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Someone should take a screen shot before ESPN or Carroll takes the page down.

Also,

ESPN Twitter:
@ ESPN_FanCentral

"Press Related Inquiries" (only direct email I could find that was kind of relevant):
[email protected]

Contact ESPN Directly (for the United States):
http://espn.go.com/espn/contact?lang=EN&country=united%20states

Spurtacus

Budkin
This is one of the most egregious article plagiarisms I've ever seen... cease and fucking desist.

GSH
05-15-2012, 05:17 PM

Yes, absolutely. Making insignificant changes to sentence structure doesn't change a thing. I just picked one pair of quotes at random, from the OP (below). They are more than close enough to be considered plagiarism.

Like I said, though, hurting the guy who took credit for the article doesn't help LJ. Getting attribution does. (Or... maybe getting a little pay from Scouts, Inc. :D)

From the Article:
During the regular season the Clippers averaged 91.8 possessions per game. In order to defeat the Grizzlies the Clippers slowed the pace down even more, with less than 90 possessions per game. The Spurs on the other hand averaged 95.1 possessions in the first round of the playoffs versus the Jazz. However, they will struggle to speed up the pace of the game with Chris Paul in the game.

Originally Posted by TimVP:
In the regular season, the Clippers played at a pace of 91.8 possessions per game. To beat the Grizzlies, they dropped that number to under 90. The Spurs, conversely, averaged 95.1 possessions per game and they've played at the league's fastest pace so far in the playoffs. However, it's going to be next to impossible to speed up this series with Paul at the helm of the Clippers.

Paranoid Pop
05-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I think this should be resolved between the guy and timvp. Maybe he could recommend timvp to espn or something. More productive than ruining the guy's career and not getting anything in return.

Spurminator
05-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Did they actually number it like that and everything?

edit: nm, I just saw the article posted

MannyIsGod

:lmao x 308430483

Trainwreck2100
Did they actually number it like that and everything?

no

jaffies
05-15-2012, 05:22 PM

timtonymanu
05-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm deleting the full article from here. We don't need anyone saying all of you didn't pay for that access.

Thanks.

DBMethos
Too fucking funny. :rollin

Sense
Yes, absolutely. Making insignificant changes to sentence structure doesn't change a thing. I just picked one pair of quotes at random, from the OP (below). They are more than close enough to be considered plagiarism.

Like I said, though, hurting the guy who took credit for the article doesn't help LJ. Getting attribution does. (Or... maybe getting a little pay from Scouts, Inc. :D)

From the Article:

Originally Posted by TimVP:

Yeah that's what I thought... you don't even have to read all of it to know it's saying the exact same thing...

haha I used to do this shit in high school, and even I did a better job at hiding it than him.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Thats just too damn blatant for it to be coincidence. LJ does put together the most detailed Spurs reviews and previews on the net. 48MOH is up there too, but I prefer to read it here as I often forget to check my RSS feed.

I don't think anything could be considered plagerism since its all just open material and information. Its just shady as fuck and a shit thing to do.

DMC
05-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Thats just too damn blatant for it to be coincidence. LJ does put together the most detailed Spurs reviews and previews on the net. 48MOH is up there too, but I prefer to read it here as I often forget to check my RSS feed.

I don't think anything could be considered plagerism since its all just open material and information. Its just shady as fuck and a shit thing to do.
40MOH would go ballistic if ESPN stole their shit though. They are quoted frequently on that site already. It would be way too apparent.

Slomo
The fact that WE pay for Insider to read a guy who is ripping off your writing is HILARIOUS.

Kori Ellis
The guy obviously didn't know anything about the Spurs series, so he cheated. What's funny is if he would have just asked, then we would have said sure...just add your own commentary and link back to SpursTalk, giving timvp credit.

But since, he had to do it on the sly and think no one would be the wiser...

...well, there are usually repercussions for such things.

The_Worlds_finest
TL;DR mad props to Timvp. Fuck off espn. Spurs have this in the bag, I cant wait for bitch ass griffen to try and do "the stare"

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Absolutely it's still plagiarism. You can't take someone else's opinions and thoughts, slightly reword them and try to pass them off as your own.

GSH
05-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Now watch ESPN sues because the insider crap is posted here.

An old lady who is terrified of the dentist finally has to get some work done. She sits down, and as the dentist leans over her, she reaches out and grabs him by the balls, and says, "Okay... we're not going to hurt each other, are we?"

Somehow I don't think there is any worry about ESPN this time. Especially since posting "their" material is really just re-posting Timvp's material.

Spurtacus
05-15-2012, 05:31 PM
I pay for insider for rumors and fantasy sports stuff. Also ESPN Mag. I rarely read the articles.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Everyone who Tweets, please re-tweet this:

https://twitter.com/#!/koriellis/status/202526677488771073

MannyIsGod
05-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Absolutely it's still plagiarism. You can't take someone else's opinions and thoughts, slightly reword them and try to pass them off as your own.

Can't you though? Because I see that shit all over the internet in so many ways. I thought that if it wasn't some original idea - and I don't think news reporting counts in that manner - then it wasn't plagerism?

WeNeedLength
05-15-2012, 05:34 PM
He coached the Boston Celtics in 2004? :lol

I want to see where this goes..

Sense
05-15-2012, 05:35 PM

On it.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Can't you though? Because I see that shit all over the internet in so many ways. I thought that if it wasn't some original idea - and I don't think news reporting counts in that manner - then it wasn't plagerism?

I think that you'd have to draw the line on whether it's "news reporting" .. timvp wasn't saying "the score was 86-84"... he was going his analysis/opinions of the players/matchups. Anyway, it's not like it's going to be a heavy lawsuit. :lol

I just find the whole thing hilarious, and would LOVE to hear the guy's explanation.

obijuan
05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi I updated the original post with links to TimVPs threads...what esle should I do???

Can I get my user name unsilvered? :) :)

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Retweeted to my 11 followers. Time for ESPN to bow before my social media empire!

Seriously though, this is some fucking bullshit.

foodie2

It is plagiarism. Especially since he is getting paid for it.

angelbelow
Eh.. I don't have much of a problem with that. It's better than the horse shit they normally churn out.. This is one of those rare instances where the Spurs are portrayed correctly by media outside of San Antonio.

The ethics of the situation is shitty though.

spurs1990
Anyone remember Jason Blair? Espinoza purports to be the new York times of sports. Evidently journalistic fraud falls into their model.

TimmehC
05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm deleting the full article from here. We don't need anyone saying all of you didn't pay for that access.

Thanks.
Oh, the irony.

MannyIsGod
05-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I think that you'd have to draw the line on whether it's "news reporting" .. timvp wasn't saying "the score was 86-84"... he was going his analysis/opinions of the players/matchups. Anyway, it's not like it's going to be a heavy lawsuit. :lol

I just find the whole thing hilarious, and would LOVE to hear the guy's explanation.

Thats probably a fair line to draw. Opinion and analysis isn't really news.

Its always funny when the internet catches people in the act like this.

jestersmash
05-15-2012, 05:40 PM

No, you can't.

If it's clear that you're reading another article and simply paraphrasing it and you don't give credit to the original source, it's plagiarism.

Plagiarism isn't just limited to copy/pasting exact quotes/sentences/paragraphs without properly sourcing the information. Paraphrasing large quantities of text without giving credit is also plagiarism.

Ex. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Opal_Mehta_Got_Kissed,_Got_Wild,_and_Got_a_Lif e#Sample_passages

timvp
05-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Uh oh. I just got a call looking to confirm this.

:stirpot:

foodie2
(860) 766-2000 ESPN PR department.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8430766_contact-espn-sports-writers.html

Kori Ellis
Get ready for .... to hit the fan soon. :lmao

timvp
05-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi I updated the original post with links to TimVPs threads...what esle should I do???

Can I get my user name unsilvered? :) :)

If you will, edit your post again and include an email address: [email protected]

I don't need people calling me right now, tbh :lmao

MannyIsGod
05-15-2012, 05:45 PM
It is plagiarism. Especially since he is getting paid for it.

No, you can't.

If it's clear that you're reading another article and simply paraphrasing it and you don't give credit to the original source, it's plagiarism.

Plagiarism isn't just limited to copy/pasting exact quotes/sentences/paragraphs without properly sourcing the information. Paraphrasing large quantities of text without giving credit is also plagiarism.

Ex. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Opal_Mehta_Got_Kissed,_Got_Wild,_and_Got_a_Lif e#Sample_passages

Thanks. I knew it was wrong, but I guess was using a definition of plagiarism that was too narrow.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Who called you? SAEN? LOL

clambake
05-15-2012, 05:47 PM
when you're ready, call brian panish.

Kori Ellis
:lmao @ people calling I thought we were freakin' unlisted. :lmao

NASpurs
:lmao ruh roh. Shits about to get real.

Cant_Be_Faded
Kori bout to go on tha warpath
And when she's finished?
It's gonna be a bloodbath.

GSH
05-15-2012, 05:48 PM

I'm no expert on it, but I do remember that they have a harder time enforcing it if neither of the sites (the one copying, or the one copied from) are commercial websites. But if either one charges a subscription, or runs any sort of paid advertising, it changes things.

I remember reading about a few cases where websites copied someone else's material, and only wound up in big trouble because the lawyers found some way that the site owner was receiving compensation. They weren't making a profit or anything, but just the fact that there were some funds coming in put them into a different situation. But, as I recall, they had been asked to take down the copyrighted material first, and refused.

foodie2
05-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Well, at least this is something to do while we wait for the game to come on.

sa_butta
05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
:corn:

IWantsACuatro
05-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Bahahaha

Reminds me of something along the lines of "Smart people cite other's work. Geniuses steal."

IronMaxipad
http://i.imgur.com/bstb9.gif

benefactor
Wow...this is just...wow.

Beanzamillion21
If you will, edit your post again and include an email address: [email protected]

I don't need people calling me right now, tbh :lmao

TimVP Got's a game 1 to watch!!! :flag:

Looking forward to them grades tonight, keep that phone on silent!

IWantsACuatro
Kori bout to go on tha warpath
And when she's finished?
It's gonna be a bloodbath.

She's about to take him to the bank...the blood bank.

Sense
05-15-2012, 05:52 PM
This is more exciting than the trade deadline...

What? we have a game tonight? What game?

sa_butta
05-15-2012, 05:55 PM
And all this originating from a gnsf. What are the chances?? LOL

Ginofan
05-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Retweeted for you Kori :)

It's been a while since I've actually been logged in, but I read all time time. That's some crazy shit, hope they blow the whistle on this guy!

mbass
05-15-2012, 05:56 PM

Thanks.

It's plagerism and unethical and the writer should be fired -

I wonder if the writer has copied other articles that timvp has written. It would be interesting to find this out.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Retweeted for you Kori :)

It's been a while since I've actually been logged in, but I read all time time. That's some crazy shit, hope they blow the whistle on this guy!

Thanks Mandy. A few places have called/emailed us about it. So I'm sure the guy will hear something soon.

TheSkeptic
05-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I'm no expert on it, but I do remember that they have a harder time enforcing it if neither of the sites (the one copying, or the one copied from) are commercial websites. But if either one charges a subscription, or runs any sort of paid advertising, it changes things.

I remember reading about a few cases where websites copied someone else's material, and only wound up in big trouble because the lawyers found some way that the site owner was receiving compensation. They weren't making a profit or anything, but just the fact that there were some funds coming in put them into a different situation. But, as I recall, they had been asked to take down the copyrighted material first, and refused.

Interesting. In light of the fact that these guys are charging for their insights, then it looks like there's a precedent there then.

Thanks for finding that out. Do you know what the results were in those cases? Link, compensation, etc.?

By the way I think OP should be bolded. This is an amazing thread. :lol

Splits
05-15-2012, 05:58 PM
What a jerkoff. In all honesty though, LJ has to be feeling pretty good about himself. For the largest sports network in the country steal his takes and then charge for the... WoW. Just wow. Like it or not, ESPN has no choice but to can thIs guy. I mean, his actions are completely off limis, and I don't care if some bonehead on a shitty blog wrote the original, this is a pure violation of journalism ethics 101. Dude is done

Sense
05-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks Mandy. A few places have called/emailed us about it. So I'm sure the guy will hear something soon.

Spurstalk spread it fast? or you emailed? Just wondering.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Spurstalk spread it fast? or you emailed? Just wondering.

Someone read about it here and called, and some others emailed.

Mr.Nate
05-15-2012, 06:00 PM
We should report it on Daily Dime Live. might get to ESPN faster.

VBM
05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
By the way I think OP should be bolded. This is an amazing thread. :lol

Talk about setting the bar for getting bolded. The rest of us GNSFs are screwed. :lol

Dex
05-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Talk about setting the bar for getting bolded. The rest of us GNSFs are screwed. :lol

And this is exactly why there should never be a Post Count limit to starting threads.

Sense
05-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Someone read about it here and called, and some others emailed.
Ah I see....

Well I thought this was going to be a long day because the game is at 8:30... but this is just as entertaining :lol

We should report it on Daily Dime Live. might get to ESPN faster.

I don't think ESPN wants Insider customers to know the writers are copying the content.

xellos88330
05-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Wow, just wow. Timvp's analysis of the Spurs is usually spot on. I like to argue with people when it comes to basketball, but it is hard to argue with someone who is most likely right or shares the same opinions as yourself.

Go get your peice of the pie! Fuck ESPN!!!

ElNono
05-15-2012, 06:04 PM

Done

ElNono
05-15-2012, 06:05 PM
tbh, banning tacker should render this moot... :lol

TheSkeptic

:lol What can you do? OP deserves props.

timtonymanu
Well, at least this is something to do while we wait for the game to come on.

THIS :lol

Sense
05-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Out of all the teams, it's funny ESPN tries to screw over the Spurs fan.

ElNono
05-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Wow, did you guys see the new insider article by David Thorpe?

Should Pop rest the big 3 Sunday? (insider.espn.go.com/nba/story?id=7933162)

VBM
05-15-2012, 06:07 PM
OP = the ghost of marvin zindler.

This is right up there with slime in the ice machine.

http://deliciousfruit.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/ktrk-072907-marvin3.jpg

BoricuaCJA
05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I posted this on Facebook.

benefactor
05-15-2012, 06:09 PM
And all this originating from a gnsf. What are the chances?? LOL
The greys have heard my pleas...and have responded with vigor.

IWantsACuatro
Really, I've lost all respect for ESPN after this. There are huge data searches they can filter articles through before publishing to make sure there isn't plagiarism.

Shameful.

Splits

OP has instant legend status. What a find. Probably a longtime lurker like most who visit the site. Catch of the year.

rasho8
05-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Retweeted

ElNono
05-15-2012, 06:10 PM
tbh, he should've waited until the Final Prediction post...

ElNono
05-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Word spreading around...

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1181288&p=31809292

Cant_Be_Faded
05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Eric B has retweeted it five times

VBM
05-15-2012, 06:13 PM
The greys have heard my pleas...and have responded with vigor.

:lol I refuse to answer the call of your thread, Facto. I will continue to strive for mediocrity in order to spite you.

:flag:

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Well the people who need to know, now know.

Now we wait.

VBM
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM

Now we wait.

Next thing we know, we'll see a Spurs version of the HEAT Index on the ESPN homepage. timvp's about to hit the big time!

JMarkJohns
05-15-2012, 06:16 PM
To be honest, this happens quite frequently, where message board topics and even posts are used, slightly reworded, and written around only to be passed off as network or local sports writers own content.

Doesn't surprise me that Spurstalk has some of its content ripped. Now, if it was posts from DOG, then I might be surprised. This? ...

TheSkeptic
05-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Now we wait.

That kid in your avy is as cute as a button. Simply adorable. :)

Do they give you any hints about what's going to happen?

benefactor
05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
:lol I refuse to answer the call of your thread, Facto. I will continue to strive for mediocrity in order to spite you.

:flag:

You sir, are an exception to the grey rule....much like TDMVPDPOY is an exception to the bolded rule.

Dex
Doesn't surprise me that Spurstalk has some of its content ripped. Now, if it was posts from DOG, then I might be surprised. This? ...

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/447/hello-yes-this-is-dog.png

Kori Ellis
That kid in your avy is as cute as a button. Simply adorable. :)

Do they give you any hints about what's going to happen?

Thanks, that's our youngest daughter.

We'll see :lmao

Spurtacus
Should Spurstalk come up with some rules on copyright infringement on the forums? This particular issue might be bringing more eyes upon this forum and putting us under a microscope. Not really sure if such a thing exists for internet forums tbh.

Obstructed_View
05-15-2012, 06:21 PM
We've long suspected that many media people come to ST for their Spurs info because they don't actually bother to watch the games or follow the team. This is just further evidence of that.

rasho8
05-15-2012, 06:22 PM
They should have taken one of sequspurs terrible posts tbh.

DJB
I'm a librarian and my husband is a professional writer. We both take copyright and plagiarism very seriously. We both think you should at the very least report this to ESPN.

Agreed. This is ridiculous. I'm all for email bombing ESPN.

JMarkJohns
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/447/hello-yes-this-is-dog.png

bark bark bark bark bark!

Splits
05-15-2012, 06:24 PM
They should have taken one of sequspurs terrible posts tbh.

Next up on BSPN: Fuck yo team clown

TheSkeptic
05-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks, that's our youngest daughter.

We'll see :lmao

Aw. She's very cute. :)

Pfft! I'm hoping for headlines like what happened when that other ESPN writer was fired over the Jeremy Lin thing. Timvp could be the next high profile Spurs analyst over there. :D

Heaven knows that ESPN needs better coverage of our team anyway.

Edit: Or as high profile as a Spurs oriented writer can get in any case though. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what difference that would make in the end.

JMarkJohns
05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Also, it seems it's not ESPN who's at fault here. The writer is for ScoutsInc, and his content is picked up by ESPN via their INsider, which, in and of itself, is a form of stealing, much of the time taking free information from local publications and charging for the centralized access to it.

If you're going to email anyone, email ScoutsInc.

However, these are almost impossible to prove. Might scare the person from doing it so blatantly next time, but it's not going to "stop" it.

Kuestmaster
05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Go get him timvp and kori

NASpurs
05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
We should go after Jeff McDonald next. We know you're here!

Obstructed_View
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Also, it seems it's not ESPN who's at fault here. The writer is for ScoutsInc, and his content is picked up by ESPN via their INsider, which, in and of itself, is a form of stealing, much of the time taking free information from local publications and charging for the centralized access to it.

However, these are almost impossible to prove. Might scare the person from doing it so blatantly next time, but it's not going to "stop" it.

Hey! Nice to see you around! :toast

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM

Scouts Inc. is part of ESPN. But it doesn't matter. We didn't need to email any of them.

loveforthegame
05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
This is crazy. Glad you guys were notified and are taking action.

angelbelow
Haha.. I just read the whole thing, definitely worse than I thought. I just assumed he took a few points here and there and drafted up a preview but some of that stuff is literally word for word. Inexcusable on an ethical level.

TheSkeptic

Oh so Insider is basically a news feed. That's a little bit different from straight up stealing since it looks like ESPN was giving credit back to Scouts Inc. Plus they do get exclusives from guys like Hollinger so it's probably a mixture of both.

Thanks to the dates, I think Timvp and Kori will be able to prove it if it comes to that. They could also check when the file was created to get a better idea of whether or not the writer plagiarized.

SpursWoman
05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
That's nuts ... but considering LJ has posted these brillant playoff match up analysis for years, this can't possibly be the first time his work has been lifted.

Well, maybe not quite as thoroughly lifted. :lol

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
That's nuts ... but considering LJ has posted these brillant playoff match up analysis for years, this can't possibly be the first time his work has been lifted.

Well, maybe not quite as thoroughly lifted. :lol

Writers take stuff from here all the time. But they don't usually take it so blatantly and excessively in one article. :lmao

JMarkJohns
05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Scouts Inc. is part of ESPN. But it doesn't matter. We didn't need to email any of them.

For whatever reason I misunderstood and thought ScoutsInc was Scout.com, which is a FoxSports.com feeder site for college and recruiting info. Oops...

Still, whatever emails are sent need to be as specific as possible. Name the person, name the provider, not just the more well-known source of content.

This really isn't anything new for ESPN.

TheSkeptic
05-15-2012, 06:35 PM

McDonald isn't stealing anything from anyone. In fact, grabbing content would probably help him get his news sooner. I mean, he got out-scooped by the Salt Lake Tribune when the Spurs changed their starting line-up. For crying out loud...

manufan10
05-15-2012, 06:36 PM
:lol That's insane.

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
For whatever reason I misunderstood and thought ScoutsInc was Scout.com, which is a FoxSports.com feeder site for college and recruiting info. Oops...

Still, whatever emails are sent need to be as specific as possible. Name the person, name the provider, not just the more well-known source of content.

This really isn't anything new for ESPN.

No, Scouts Inc was bought by ESPN for $18 million in 2006.

Seeking additional content for its many media platforms, ESPN has purchased Scouts Inc., a Boston sports scouting information company, for around $18 million.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2006/01/20060116/Media/ESPN-Keeps-Scouts-Inc-On-Its-Team-Through-Acquisition.aspx

pgardn
05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
This is nothing close to a big surprise. These ESPN guys have to cover a whole bunch. There is no way they think and watch the Spurs more than many of the people on this board.

So you got Timvp, who can write solidly about a team he watches very closely, why not.

And its an insult to Timvp to claim his insights into this game actually made it to a NATIONAL news organization. ESPN is just not that good. Now if a sports writer for the Knicks from the NY Times had taken Timvp's stuff on the Knicks, then that would be big time. And if this guy is an ex coach, its even more understandable that he would seize without credit.

Otherwise, no surprise. This is a fairly pervasive tactic. And hard to prove in court. I have read a significant number of ideas on this site much more in depth than anything you are going to find on ESPN concerning the Spurs.

These sites like ESPN have to put stuff out quickly and in very large volume.

NASpurs
05-15-2012, 06:38 PM
McDonald isn't stealing anything from anyone. In fact, grabbing content would probably help him get his news sooner. I mean, he got out-scooped by the Salt Lake Tribune when the Spurs changed their starting line-up. For crying out loud...

I agree with you, the guy sucks when it comes to breaking news. I just want him gone either way. He tried to replace Ludden and has done a terrible job.

TimmehC

Tim Griffin has "borrowed" heavily from various Spurs blogs in the past. But he's not as blatant about it, and usually at least adds some of his own material.

Edit: I don't think McDonald plagiarizes anyone, just to be clear.

manufan10
This guy probably IS Tacker.

Andthentherewas21
05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Great work done by the OP. One of the main reasons I joined up on ST is because of LJ's articles so it's a credit to his analysis that he would be plagiarized so blatantly. That being said, there should be some action taken against the writer, if only some apologetic letter from ESPN about the incident. I doubt it will benefit Timvp in any discernible fashion, but it is the principle of the point.

TheSkeptic
05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
I agree with you, the guy sucks when it comes to breaking news. I just want him gone either way. He tried to replace Ludden and has done a terrible job.

There it is. :lol

I just wish there was some way to get Timvp or some other good poster access.

JMarkJohns
No, Scouts Inc was bought by ESPN for $18 million in 2006.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2006/01/20060116/Media/ESPN-Keeps-Scouts-Inc-On-Its-Team-Through-Acquisition.aspx

Thanks. Don't know why I misunderstood. I know personally scouts and administrators for Scout.com. Same for Rivals.com. Just read Scout and ran with it.

Definitely not the same entity.

Spurtacus
http://deadspin.com/5910612/former-nba-coach-plagiarizes-spurs-message-board-for-espncom-column

spyder
05-15-2012, 06:47 PM
http://deadspin.com/5910612/former-nba-coach-plagiarizes-spurs-message-board-for-espncom-column

:lmao:lmao Dudes getting called out..:lol

rasho8
05-15-2012, 06:47 PM
The heat is coming now. Lol.

benefactor
05-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Boom.

Andthentherewas21
05-15-2012, 06:49 PM
This better not delay the Spurs-Clippers Game 1 Grades tonight!

Sense
05-15-2012, 06:51 PM

:lol that's too awesome..

it's on the main page.

td4mvp21
05-15-2012, 06:52 PM

Oh shit :rollin

DMC
05-15-2012, 06:52 PM
This better not delay the Spurs-Clippers Game 1 Grades tonight!
You can read them on ESPN if you have Insider.

timvp
05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
I sincerely hope the guy doesn't get fired. If you're reading this, ESPN, don't can him.

Thanks.

IWantsACuatro
05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Cover story on deadspin now. lol.

Mr.Nate
:lmao:lmao:lmao

lurker

BanditHiro
I sincerely hope the guy doesn't get fired. If you're reading this, ESPN, don't can him.

Thanks.

timvp the merciful

Small Fundamental
05-15-2012, 06:55 PM
I'd like to laugh at this. But it's disgusting that the dude is getting paid for the work of another.

NRHector
05-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks.

hey they might call you for a job offer if he gets fired

DMC
05-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Make him do the Culby rodeo for two days then have him do a 500.00 bet against Kool. That will show him.

manufan10

Thanks.

:tu

Ginofan

Thanks.

You're too nice LJ. Hopefully he gets some type of reprimand.

Spur|n|Austin
Wow!

ElNono

Thanks.

manufan10
05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Make him do the Culby rodeo for two days then have him do a 500.00 bet against Kool. That will show him.

Have him spend a whole day watching Naruto with lakaluva.

Obstructed_View
Sometimes Twitter and Facebook suck, and sometimes they can get results really fast.

DMC
Have him spend a whole day watching Naruto with lakaluva.
Cruel and unusual punishments are outlawed in this country.

Sense
05-15-2012, 06:58 PM
timvp the merciful

But seriously... it shows what kind of person LJ is as opposed to Carroll.. who didn't care to make money off of his "work".

Obstructed_View

Thanks.

With all due respect, I hope they don't listen to your advice. It's theft, pure and simple.

ShoogarBear

Small Fundamental

Thanks.If he intentionally did take your material then he deserves to be fired. Let another up and comer get paid for really doing their homework.

Drachen
This makes me very happy

DMC
guess the number of pages this thread goes.

manufan10
05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Cruel and unusual punishments are outlawed in this country.

:lmao Forgot about that.

Manu20
05-15-2012, 06:59 PM
WOW.....LJ if you get hired by ESPN can I have free insider?? lol

spurs1990
05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Just rereading Obiwan's recaps, this example sticks out as irefutable evidence. Sentence by sentence Carroll and his henchman simply reworded. Its almost stupid to believe they could pull this off. :lol

John the Pilferer

TimVP

NRHector
05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
guess the number of pages this thread goes.

hopefully until justice is serve

Kori Ellis
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't want the guy fired either. But, timvp takes a lot of time to write the stuff that he writes for SpursTalk. It's not like it was "just a message board post." He spends hours re-watching games, researching, etc. He's been offered plenty of paid sports writing jobs over the years, but he does it for SpursTalk because he wants to keep it his passion, not make it his work.

So though I do think this whole incident is kind of funny, I think that it sucks for anyone to have their hard work ripped off and passed off as someone else's.

Jared Franklin
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I guess this is payback for all of those times people posted full insider articles.

Despot
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks.

Probably a moot point, if he is plagiarizing, he probably can not write worth a damn, so what will he do now that he has been called out. And Im sure that you are not the first person that he copied off of.

Anyways..... How does this go forward knowing how everyone criticizes ESPN for having horrible takes now that Timvp is a published author?

Sense
05-15-2012, 07:04 PM
I don't want the guy fired either. But, timvp takes a lot of time to write the stuff that he writes for SpursTalk. It's not like it was "just a message board post." He spends hours re-watching games, researching, etc. He's been offered plenty of paid sports writing jobs over the years, but he does it for SpursTalk because he wants to keep it his passion, not make it his work.

So though I do think this whole incident is kind of funny, I think that it sucks for anyone to have their hard work ripped off and passed off as someone else's.

Completely agree....have you gotten John Carroll's email from the tweet? Or are you not worried about it anymore?

I would love to hear what he has to say about this.

100%duncan
Sue det bitch, LJ.

bthewigwam
Isn't the fastest way for espn to know about this to leave comments on the article so the mod's know? I only see one comment currently. I'd leave a comment but I get the access from a friend and don't want to involve them in any way.

Spurtacus
05-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Thanks.

But lead editor for all new ESPN San Antonio would be a nice I'm sorry gift to you.

WeNeedLength
I guess this is payback for all of those times people posted full insider articles.

What's up John Carroll? :lol

Kori Ellis
Isn't the fastest way for espn to know about this to leave comments on the article so the mod's know? I only see one comment currently. I'd leave a comment but I get the access from a friend and don't want to involve them in any way.

ESPN knows about it.

ClingingMars
05-15-2012, 07:06 PM
logged in to say I'm not surprised at all b/c timvp is that good at what he does.

lefty
05-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Plagiarism, intellectual property, copyright, blah, blah, blah.

Go get him please

Libri
05-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Maybe that's what he was thinking, "it's just a message board." How could he not realize that he could get caught, especially since SpursTalk is a high traffic forum.

Shastafarian
05-15-2012, 07:12 PM
ESPN knows about it.

I'm surprised it's still up on their site. Especially after deadspin caught on.