PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with our defensive efforts in game 1

angelbelow
05-16-2012, 05:13 AM
I happened to miss the first quarter, probably for the best since the Clippers scored 29 points on 50% shooting.

But for the rest of the game I was very happy with our effort. We played elite D during certain stretches and maintained above average defense through out the game.

-Parker and Green's defense on Chris Paul was spectacular. They defended Paul closely in 1v1 situations and zoned him towards the help defense. During the regular season, CP3 was limited to 33% FG when Parker was on court. Today he was 27% when Parker was on the court.

-The Clippers were 0-6 in post up situations. Not too surprising since Jordan, Martin, and Evans lack anything resembling post offense. (2-20fg overall in the painted area)

-Although Diaw is a solid defender, he has his weaknesses. One of them is defending athletic bigs who can face up. Against Blake, so far so good.

-Outrebounded them 47-34.

-Bledsoe taking 16 shots is a good sign, despite him shooting 62% and scoring 23 points. Clippers won't be able to beat us if they rely on one of their younger and inconsistent players.

-While Bledsoe was able to do damage, we were able to severely limit Foye and Williams. They combined for 6 points 1 assist 0 rebounds. As long as we limit 2 of the 3 we have a great shot at sweeping this series.

Improvements:
-Transition basketball. Against Utah we allowed 11.25 FGA opportunities at 44% FG on fast break situations. The Jazz don't really have explosive finishers, the Clippers do. They scored 17 fast break points on 7 for 10 shooting tonight. Limiting our turnovers (18 tonight) is a fine start for improving our transition defense.

AussieFanKurt
05-16-2012, 06:47 AM
They are only just an above average team and spurs are a very good team, it's not surprising

Agloco
05-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Meh,

When opposing players miss open 5-10 footers on a consistent basis, it makes any defense look good. I think the final outcome was more a product of an off night by Paul and a few others. We cant bank on him missing shots like that for the entire series.

Whisky Dog
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
If you watch Paul's shots most of them were contested. He also got blocked a couple of times from behind so that plays on his min as he's trying to get his shot off. He'll make contested shots at times, but he'll also do this too. I disagree he got wide open looks.

MI21
05-16-2012, 10:14 AM
If you watch Paul's shots most of them were contested. He also got blocked a couple of times from behind so that plays on his min as he's trying to get his shot off. He'll make contested shots at times, but he'll also do this too. I disagree he got wide open looks.

All of the Spurs defenders on Paul did a fantastic job of not falling for Paul's trickery when he would get around them and slow up. He gets to the line a lot using that hesitation and gets a lot of and 1's from it too.

I was impressed by Green not falling for it in particular considering he is usually good for at least one boneheaded foul per game.

jiggy_55
05-16-2012, 10:16 AM

Yep, agreed. A few shots he had to take over the outstretched arms of Duncan, Splitter and even Diaw and he did get blocked from behind once or twice (Kawhi got him once) . We forced him into a bunch of uncharacteristic turnovers, so we have to be ready for him to be much better in Game 2, as will Parker.

BoricuaCJA
05-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Yep, agreed. A few shots he had to take over the outstretched arms of Duncan, Splitter and even Diaw and he did get blocked from behind once or twice (Kawhi got him once) . We forced him into a bunch of uncharacteristic turnovers, so we have to be ready for him to be much better in Game 2, as will Parker.
Green also blocked him once from behind.

Manu-20
05-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Spurs defense has been great since the playoffs started much improved from the regular season. All that rest the spurs had sure came in hany becuase they were able to setup a very good game plan for the clippers.

angelbelow
05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Green also blocked him once from behind.

Kawhi had a nice block from behind as well. We really did a great job crowding him. I think Timvp made the point that in 2010 we strategically dared Nash (similar injury to Paul) beat us and he did just that (swept by Suns :depressed).

Spurs defense has been great since the playoffs started much improved from the regular season. All that rest the spurs had sure came in hany becuase they were able to setup a very good game plan for the clippers.

They have been pretty good so far but they also played the Jazz, one of the worse playoff teams in recent history. This series against the Clippers will better test our defensive consistency.

z0sa
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Paul makes the Clipshow run. The Spurs will most likely keep the same defensive gameplan as Game 1 throughout the series, which is shut Chris Paul's PnR down with lots of attention to Paul and let guys like Griffin, Jordan and Butler beat you.

Manu-20
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
They have been pretty good so far but they also played the Jazz, one of the worse playoff teams in recent history. This series against the Clippers will better test our defensive consistency.[/QUOTE]

Well its true that the jazz weren't ready for the playoffs they did average about 100 points in the regular season but the spurs deftinley had something to do with that number never happing by packing the paint and living with thier jump shooting since they were a bad overall shooting team anyway. Now this series agaisnt the clippers we could really start to see how good they are on the defensive end as you said, but looking at yesterday and how chirs paul wasn't getting any open looks for the most part and Griffin struggling a bit I would say its fair to say the spurs D has improved since the regular season.

angelbelow
05-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Well its true that the jazz weren't ready for the playoffs they did average about 100 points in the regular season but the spurs deftinley had something to do with that number never happing by packing the paint and living with thier jump shooting since they were a bad overall shooting team anyway. Now this series agaisnt the clippers we could really start to see how good they are on the defensive end as you said, but looking at yesterday and how chirs paul wasn't getting any open looks for the most part and Griffin struggling a bit I would say its fair to say the spurs D has improved since the regular season.

Well put, our defense has been steadily improving since we traded RJ and added Jackson and Diaw.

IMO, even if Griffin were healthy, I'm not convinced that he has a big impact on this series. He doesn't really have a polished offensive game.. poor post offense, poor free throw shooter, poor mid range shooter etc.