PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan says he could be around for at least two more years. :(

flipcritic
05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm sad already.

@basketballtalk Here's to hoping he sticks around a while longer. Told me he thinks at least two more years

https://twitter.com/SI_ChrisBallard/statuses/202813594042245120

Seventyniner
05-16-2012, 01:54 PM
What's the frown for? I'm excited by the news, personally. Depending on German advances in knee medicine, Duncan might play until he's 45 or something.

Trainwreck2100
05-16-2012, 01:56 PM
at least means 2 or more

Keepin' it real
05-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Did you want him to retire after this season instead?

NRHector
05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
if the Spurs win the :lobt: I think Tim wants to repeat

Whisky Dog
05-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Ryan Richards take Duncan's place?

No one will take his place. We can just hope that Pop and RC can build around our young talent and land another big that can bring some of what 2012 Tim does.

Keepin' it real
05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
As a selfish Spurs fan, of course I want Timmeh to keep playing, but I think back to what Jim Brown, the greatest RB in NFL history, said recently on First Take (@ the 4:45 mark) in regard to retiring and leaving his legacy intact.

Although Tim is no longer on top (in terms of being a league MVP), if the Spurs can win the title this season, and especially if Tim wins another Finals MVP, does he consider retiring?

Five championships to go along with a long, long hall-of-fame list of individual awards/accolades. Why not go out on top, in John Elway fashion?

In this scenario, I hope that Tim would come back, but if he didn't, I'd understand.

btbB7F1AqZc

Arcadian
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Why would you be sad? That's the best answer he could have possibly given.

TMTTRIO
05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
he'll play more than Manu though.

timvp
05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Thread title is confusing, tbh.

Spurtacus
05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
If he can avoid major injuries and continue his workout regiment Timmy can play until he's 40. Maybe two more seasons as a 20+ minute starter. TOSB still getting double doubles in the playoffs. But eventually Spurs are going to have to find a legit big to replace him. Splitter can be inconsistent and he doesn't have a secondary offensive weapon (hell a jumpshot would be nice) to be imposing.

Dingle Barry
05-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Richards sucks and will never play in the NBA.

Typical London Boy
05-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Would be ideal if he could play with his eventual replacement for a year, to pass on his experience. Although as already mentioned, I do think he might call it a day if the Spurs clinch the championship this year.

Andthentherewas21
05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
I think two years is probably a good idea. Its enough time for him to still contribute even if he declines gradually over the next couple of seasons. It gives him the ability to keep the Big 3 core together a couple more seasons along with their rookies to groom the next generation of Spurs. And assuming they somehow could come up with the trade assets or the capspace (however unlikely) it would give him a couple of seasons to groom a successor.

TDomination
05-16-2012, 06:17 PM
People were scared that this year was his last year.

So two more years is a blessing. And hopefully by then, he will have 7 championships and fresh off a 3-peat.

Spur|n|Austin
05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
This is wonderful news, I like everyone else am curious as to why this is disappointing to the OP?

benefactor
05-16-2012, 06:30 PM
No complaints here. As long as RC is the Spurs GM, they will remain competitive. I hope that someone emerges like Ryan Richards who can take Duncan's place in the future.
I'm gonna jump way out on a limb and say that's probably not going to happen.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Why the frown emoticon? Is the OP upset that Duncan will be around for 2 more years? Or upset that Duncan will only be around for 2 more years?

spursfan1000
05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
It's going to be too sad when he leaves, he's the only legend that I can remember to stay on one them his whole career, major props

TampaDude
05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
It's going to be too sad when he leaves, he's the only legend that I can remember to stay on one them his whole career, major props

Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Cal Ripken, Jr.
Darrell Green
Stan Mikita
etc...

spursfan1000
05-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Cal Ripken, Jr.
Darrell Green
Stan Mikita
etc...

Ha I wasn't even born then... I should've known about bird & magic though. Only have been a spurs fan since 03'

TampaDude
05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Ha I wasn't even born then... I should've known about bird & magic though. Only have been a spurs fan since 03'

Heh...sorry about that...I'm an old fart... :lol

angelbelow
05-16-2012, 08:55 PM

Well, Kobe is up there. Unless the trade from Charlotte counts against him.

MannyIsGod
05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
I would not be mad if the Spurs won it all this year and Tim walked away. I think he would deserve such an epic legacy. But yeah, I'll take as much Tim Duncan was I can get.

spursfan1000
05-16-2012, 09:02 PM

No it doesn't because he was asking to be traded a couple years back.

TampaDude
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Nope...he never played any games for Charlotte, so unless he is traded, he'll qualify for the "one team" career designation.

I am 100% certain that Tim Duncan will retire a Spur. I can't say the same about Kobe retiring a Laker.

TampaDude
05-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, I think Drob comes to mind as well.

Yup...can't forget DRob...he's the reason I'm a Spurs fan...but Timmy is the greatest Spur ever.

spursfan1000
05-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, I think Drob comes to mind as well.

Yes of course :toast

DMC
05-16-2012, 09:10 PM
:cry I want a total stranger to retire from a multimillion dollar job where he just goes to the gym and shoots a basketball because I want to remember him as he was:cry

vander
05-16-2012, 09:16 PM
yeah we definitely need some advances in anti-aging science, need TD to stay 36 until he's 45

SilverSpur
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Only if he hits the weights. He needs to build muscle around the knees and get his legs stronger. Losing weight won't work after awhile. I see the same thing happening to Tim what happened to D Rob. Lower strength deterioration.

Had Robinson worked on his legs he would of played at least two more years at a high level.

Core muscles and legs will keep Tim around longer than losing weight every year.

If you watched the interview after the Clipper win Tims collar bone and back neck bones are showing. That's not a good thing

Wild Cobra Kai
05-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Only if he hits the weights. He needs to build muscle around the knees and get his legs stronger. Losing weight won't work after awhile. I see the same thing happening to Tim what happened to D Rob. Lower strength deterioration.

Had Robinson worked on his legs he would of played at least two more years at a high level.

Core muscles and legs will keep Tim around longer than losing weight every year.

If you watched the interview after the Clipper win Tims collar bone and back neck bones are showing. That's not a good thing

Yeah, I'm sure you know more than their team physicians and training staff. :rolleyes

David's problem was never his legs, it was those pesky floating particles in his back.

Reck
05-16-2012, 09:52 PM
If Spurs win it all this year, Tim will retire. Count it.

vander
05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you know more than their team physicians and training staff. :rolleyes

David's problem was never his legs, it was those pesky floating particles in his back.

as any Portland fan will tell you, team doctors and physicians always know what's best

tesseractive
05-16-2012, 10:32 PM
If Spurs win it all this year, Tim will retire. Count it.

If he's feeling good and playing well, why would he retire instead of going for the back to back?

Reck
05-16-2012, 10:48 PM
If he's feeling good and playing well, why would he retire instead of going for the back to back?

Because going on ontop its better then going out on a bad note.

Not that playing another year and not winning the championship its a bad thing but at this point Duncan doesn't have anything to prove.