PDA

View Full Version : is Griffin's injury really a big factor?

K-State Spur
05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
I can definitely understand how it wants to tighten up over the course of the game, but I wonder if the overall effect wouldn't be the same.

Blake's a highlight player, but it stands to reason that he might struggle a bit in playoff basketball against bigger front lines. While he is taller and has a better frame for post play, his standing reach is actually shorter than Blair's (!!!).

The Spurs have done a decent job at taking away transition - so I'm not sure what's left for him other than taking the 15 foot jumpers, which even when healthy is a mediocre proposition for him.

And defensively, he's over-matched in this series (and most others) even on his best of days.

Destro
05-18-2012, 08:22 AM
hi ego hurts more than his knee

Agloco
05-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I think he's using it as a crutch atm....

Pauls injury otoh is a much, much bigger problem.

Doug Collins
05-18-2012, 08:31 AM
I think biggest effect it will have is on his rebounding. He only had 1 last night which won't get it done against our frontline. Even though he was actually hitting some jumpshots and free throws, he can't count on those to fall. His inability to get rebounding position and out jump our bigs on the offensive boards really hurts them with regards to easy 2nd chance pts.

I didn't think he would be a major factor even if he was healthy, due to his offensive limitations, but I thought he could contribute on the boards. We'll see how he does back at home.

MannyIsGod
05-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Its just that he's overrated. Blake Griffin is marketed like a superstar but outside of his freakish athleticism he's not even close to one. He's got a subpar post game and he's got no jumper to speak of. He's not a great one and one defender and while he'll get some great help blocks due to being so athletic that doesn't make you all that good. My biggest beef with him is how weak he plays for a big man. The last dunking four I can remember like Blake was Shawn Kemp but Kemp had a jumper and Kemp played anything but weak.

Mal
05-18-2012, 09:12 AM
He literaly got none post move.

urunobili
05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
He has a gr8 jumshot and can't miss FT's vs. us. Until the Spurs get the 3rd win, I wont stop fearing an 04 like collapse. I wouldnt pick on any of the enemy's players.

K-State Spur
05-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Looking at 82games for Griffin in last year's full season:

0-10 seconds into shot clock, Griffin gets 8.0 ppg on 60% efg
11-15 seconds, 3.6 ppg on 47% efg
16-20 seconds, 3.3 ppg on 43% efg
21-24 seconds, 2.1 ppg on 42% efg.

So it does appear that if you take away the transition (where Griffin is amazing) and put them into the half court, Griffin's numbers get worse and worse the longer the possession plays out.

Given that the Clippers want to play out the possessions if they don't get anything in the open court, it stands to reason that Blake would struggle more in playoff series.

DMC
05-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Griffin could be a beast if he had an outside shot. He needs to work with a good coach.

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2012, 09:20 AM
dude really has no posts game to speak off, when you can score against bonner, splitter and fatty, then ur being really exposed...

K-State Spur
05-18-2012, 09:23 AM
He has a gr8 jumshot and can't miss FT's vs. us. Until the Spurs get the 3rd win, I wont stop fearing an 04 like collapse. I wouldnt pick on any of the enemy's players.

The 04 "collapse" (if we should really call it that) was against the most talented team in the league who had won 3 of the previous 4 titles.

Like timvp, I do worry that LA could draw this series out longer and put us in a tougher position against the Thunder if they sweep.

But I have very few worries that they could actually take the series. The stretches (and it's only short stretches) where they have outplayed the Spurs in this series involve them hitting long jumpers and the Spurs going ice cold, then getting stagnant. That's not a winning recipe for multiple games.

Our defensive numbers are pretty good thus far, but for the last 3 halves, I actually think they could be even better if the Clippers weren't hitting some shots from spots on the floor that aren't in their favor.

lmbebo
05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Griffin can be a beast. He's just not there yet.

Outside of dunking and trying to over power people, his game really sucks.

1) Very shakey outside shot. Not a lot of post moves
2) Doesn't really involve himself in the game if he's not dunking, etc
3) Defense doesn't seem that great at all. ALWAYS looking for the ref to bail him out or give him the pass because he kind of jumped over a Kia.

If he actually looks to work on his game, he can be a really dominant big man. He's got passing skills, not always on display or utilized in the clippers offense. Work in progress with his outside shot. Needs to work on a few post moves. Those are all very makable changes. He does that and he'll be hell to deal with. Right now I see him as a young Amare Stoudamire. Plays with his athleticism only. Needs to develop that 10-12 foot shot.

He can be better than Amare if he dedicates himself to the defensive side of the game.

bus driver
05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
hi ego hurts more than his knee

:lmao

he could have two great knees, he would still suck at shooting the outside shot.
the spurs should let him get the ball every time and force him to shoot outside

100%duncan
05-18-2012, 09:29 AM
No

Whisky Dog
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Griffin and Paul have been healthy enough to beat Memphis.

cheguevara
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
no monkeyball :cry

Hooks
05-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Griffins knee has been an issue but Diaw deserves a TON of credit, he's been playing some perfect positional defense against him. Diaw shut Millsap down last series, and has done a great job against Griffin as well this series.

I wondr how much Diaw weighs, guys like Evans, Millsap, Gasol, Griffin and others have had an extremely hard time backing him down or even moving him when going for rebounds.

K-State Spur
05-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Shawn Kemp is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over Blake, its not even close at this point. Kemp could post, hit 3's, played stellar D, led his team to the finals and 2 other WCFs in the 90's. Too bad drugs derailed his career.

HQeMhYJe5JA

Agreed with your first sentence.

To nitpick - Kemp hit 33 threes in his career. That's like saying Duncan hit 3's.

sehui
05-18-2012, 10:09 AM
is Chris Paul really hampered that badly by injuries?

Griffin is still playing decent , his numbers look about right for a young PF against Tim Duncan and a veteran frontline.

Jimcs50
05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm sure he is not too confident in his knee, but he still has his hops. It is probably his lateral movement that is limited the most.

I like the guy, so hope it gets better soon. He is good for the NBA.

sehui
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Call me classless, but I'll be pretty happy if CP3 continues to hobble and struggle for this series. Of course I hope he has a speedy recovery after they get bounced out, but, there's only one thing in my mind.

It's been 5 years people, enough with the nice guy act, WE NEED DAT CHAMPIONSHIP

TheChillFactor
05-18-2012, 10:56 AM
even if his knee hurts he can still out jump Tim, Tiago, Bonner, Diaw, etc. There's no excuse for ONE REBOUND IN A WC SEMIFINAL.

GuillermoDiazFan
05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Griffin has a single post move and it's not even a very good one. A pump fake with a backspin to his right. Nobody believes Blake is the new Olajuwon. Saying he can't beat Duncan in the post is missing the point.

Blake's biggest assets are that he's a formidable cutter and his quickness attacking from the mid post with a couple of power dribbles.

He's lacking the explosiveness and the quickness to attack the Spurs bigs facing up or off-the-ball.

Besides that, he should be dominating the boards and he isn't because he's lacking mobility and explosiveness, vertical quickness. Not to mention he's completely statuesque defensively. He's no Kevin Garnett, but he generally isn't this bad on defense.

So yeah, I'd say Blake's injury is easily the second biggest reason Spurs are ahead. The first one is Paul's injury.

therealtruth
05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Griffin is 6-10 260. Kemp was 6-10 240. Kemp was faster and still powerful.

Spurtacus
05-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Games 1 & 2 would have been closer with a healthy Paul & Griffin. No question Spurs would have won both games. I still don't believe the Spurs have played their best ball of the series. Game 3 would be the time to bring it.

angelbelow
05-18-2012, 03:05 PM
The thing about Blake is that he is still very young and very capable of adapting and evolving his game. Adding a mid range jumper and developing a more consistent back to the basket game would catapult him into the "best offensive PF" conversation.

As of right now, he simply doesn't have the skill set needed to make an impact offensively against playoff caliber teams.

So no, I don't believe Griffin's injury is a big factor.

jestersmash
05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Of course it's a factor, but nobody other than Clipper fans will care once everything is all said and done.

Non-spurs fans don't care that Manu was playing with a broken elbow against Memphis or that Memphis barely won games 1 and 3 (with Manu sitting out of game 1 all-together) on timely, arguably fluke-ish shots. Spurs-Memphis last year could have so easily been 3-0 spurs to start. It's funny, if you go to the Clipper boards before the series started, a lot of them using flawed "basketball" math of the following -

"Well Memphis destroyed the Spurs last year and we beat Memphis, so we should have a great shot! Spurs were 'destroyed' by their bigs and we have great atheltic bigs too!"

In this regard, I have great respect for Chris Paul. Yeah he's not playing up to his usual level, but he refuses to use it as an excuse.

Just like Clipper fans and other non-spurs fans don't give a damn about Duncan playing on one leg and Manu playing literally with a broken elbow last year, non-Clipper fans won't care or won't remember the Clippers being hobbled this year. It's just a fact of basketball homerism.

Knoxxx
05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Griffin is 6' 8.5" barefoot.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Blake-Griffin-1268/

Wingspan is 6' 11.25", nothing special.

Vertical 36" is special, but stay in front of him is the key.

Clippers808
05-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Shawn Kemp is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over Blake, its not even close at this point. Kemp could post, hit 3's, played stellar D, led his team to the finals and 2 other WCFs in the 90's. Too bad drugs derailed his career.

HQeMhYJe5JA

What's your point? That at some point in Shawn Kemp's 14 seasons in the league, he was better than Blake Griffin now who is just in his second second, with no offseason and barely any practice this year?

I'll excuse your premature speculation and just point out that Blake is as hard a worker as you'll find, and there's little doubt around the league that he will improve his shot/ft%/post moves/positional defense. His athleticism is a gift that will only help him develop all of these aspects of his game.

For as harsh as everyone is on him, I dare you to argue for any other player from the last 3 drafts you'd take over him.