PDA

View Full Version : lease a g25 or buy a Jetta TDI or GLI?

lmbebo
05-18-2012, 09:59 AM
My options are to lease a g25x, with intent to purchase at the end of the lease when I get a more permanent job and much better income (finishing med education career). My wife and I really do prefer the infiniti over the VW option. Added that the 1st year costs would be less since I won't be putting a down payment. Negatives are the insurance cost is higher and the fuel use is higher as well.

My other option is to purchase a 2012 jetta (tdi or gli, most likely). Which is also a good drive, but the lack of quality of the interior build construction really worries about. I've read a lot about a lot of rattles, pieces not fitting properly and the headliner breaking in the car. All this makes me wonder if I really want to deal those problems. Positives are that its a fun car to drive, its more economical and we would outright own the car. I do have doubts about the longevity of the car as well. It gets rated very poorly by JD power and Consumer reports

Any advice?

sa_butta
05-18-2012, 10:17 AM
One thing to keep in mind about the G25 and the GLI is that they use premium gas. Overall the Cost of the Infiniti will be higher, however the longevity will be greater and they offer a better warranty. G25 gives you more power, and much better interior. If the price of the vehicle and cost to maintain is not too much of an issue then the G25 is the way to go. If you are looking to save money and still get some bang for your buck then the GLI is the way to go.

Here is a comparison...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101408204&veh2=101381358&veh3=101393792|sedan&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=4528221

good luck

silverblk mystix
05-18-2012, 10:37 AM
One question;

Why those two cars in particular?

lmbebo
05-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks.

These are the 2 we have liked.

Test driven the TSX, Sonata, Accord, Mazda 3, and buick verano.

To get into the wide range, its complicated. So I'll leave it at those are the 2 options.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Lease :lol

CavsSuperFan
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
What does your accountant think you should do?

Soul_Patch
05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I was a big VW fan before their change to a shittier and cheaper look. I just think they look like cheap / generic cars now.

I looked at one the last time I was in the market, and passed on it. I get the same impression from VWs now that I get from chevy and ford cars...just kinda...meh...

lmbebo
05-18-2012, 12:02 PM
I've driven an Isuzu Rodeo and Honda accord in the past. I just find the hondas and toyotas very bland. Same with Hyundai/Kia.

Based on the offers I've received. My 1st year costs would be higher with the VW by about $2k. Long term is another story. But after next year, income should change drastically.

Soul_Patch
05-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I am usually a big fan of leases, due to the fact I like to get a new car every few years, so Im not saddled with a bunch of negative equity.

silverblk mystix
05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
It seems like you are looking at sedans.

I would seriously look at this one and I am pretty sure you can lease one of these for less than the Infiniti and actually have a more stylish car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/19/2013-volkswagen-cc-first-drive-review/

Sportcamper
05-18-2012, 02:13 PM
2013 Volkswagen CC...Not a fan of VW’s but that is a sleek sedan…IMO it looks like the larger Mercedes…I bet they share some parts…The body looks identical…

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't buy a VW unless it came with a 10 year warranty.

silverblk mystix
05-18-2012, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't buy a VW unless it came with a 10 year warranty.

That's why you would lease it and have VW fix any issues under warranty.

Also the VW CC's are still built in Germany (unless that changed in the last few months= better quality than Mexico built Jettas IMO) and will surprise you when you drive it-especially if you have been driving Asian built cars. They feel more solid and well put together and the interiors are gorgeous. It is like buying an Audi without the price tag.

Mark in Austin
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
As an Infiniti owner for 9 years I have to say the service is great and the cars are impressive. But the G25 is overpriced and 3 years behind the curve on fuel efficiency.

I would save money and look at VW's from the model years right before they switched over to the shit sandwich quality design. Given your point in life, is having a brand new car really worth the extra money lost in depreciation? (And I agree on the VW CC. It is on my short list of next cars. And I'll be looking for one that is in good shape but a couple years old.)

lmbebo
05-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't trust buying a used car in the NYC area.

My wife and I need a car once we move out of here.

Above are the 2 cars we liked. The g25 isn't as fuel efficient as I would like. I know the g sedan is due for a refresh in 2013 or 2014 more likely.

I also put out interest into the ILX. But may not be out in enough time for me to look at more seriously

Mark in Austin
05-19-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't trust buying a used car in the NYC area.

My wife and I need a car once we move out of here.

Above are the 2 cars we liked. The g25 isn't as fuel efficient as I would like. I know the g sedan is due for a refresh in 2013 or 2014 more likely.

I also put out interest into the ILX. But may not be out in enough time for me to look at more seriously

Wow. First time I've seen the ILX. I like the exterior better than the G. The downside to Acuras that I've noticed over the last couple years is that their interiors look really good in pictures but the quality of the plastics they use in the dash/center console is not nearly as... substantial as Infiniti or Lexus interiors seem to be. But I really am impressed w/ what I've seen of the ILX. It's on my list now.

You might also consider a certified pre-owned Infiniti or Lexus from the dealerships (not a third party seller). There are company-wide standards plus extended warranties that come with the certified cars - peace of mind plus a lower payment compared to new.

lmbebo
05-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I've looked at the CPO TSX. I like them, just the hassle of getting them checked out. NYC drivers have abused cars. Driving and parking them.

The infiniti and Lexus are great as well as CPO, just higher resale values.

fraga
05-19-2012, 10:03 AM
I would definitely reconsider a used TSX...

lmbebo
05-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi

So an update, ended up buying the GLI today. Got it for $700 below invoice.

Feels so great to have a car again.