PDA

View Full Version : Colin Cowherd

tmtcsc
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I've never wanted to call in to a radio show more than I did today.

Colin Cowherd exposed how utterly removed he is from knowing the NBA.

Here's what he said:

1. Stars win Championships, not chemistry or "systems".

2. Why are the Thunder the # 1 seed in the West ? Because they have Durant,Westbrook and Harden.

3. Why are the Thunder the overwhelming favorites to win it all now that Bosh is out for the Heat ? Because they have Durant,Westbrook and Harden.

Earlier this year, he gave the same tired take he usually has for the Spurs - They're good but "old" and OKC has too much firepower for them.

I'm not one to complain about the Spurs getting a lack of respect from the National media, but this dude's ignorance and lack of knowledge on current seeding for the playoffs was ridiculous - even for ESPN.

I'm actually one of those fans that prefers the Spurs not get any hype during the journey. -- I prefer the accolades for them AFTER they win it all. Last night's scoring drought and sloppiness was enough to remind me that the Spurs are beatable. This isn't a "done deal" as far as a Championship. OKC will be tough.

GinobiliForTres
05-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Cowherd has ALWAYS hated the Spurs. He reps Miami, Duke, and the Patriots. He's a bandwagon jumper. He apparently reps OKC now. And the thing is, he's a complete fucktard when it comes to basketball. He makes no sense when he talks.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-18-2012, 11:14 AM
This is just someone who doesn't understand basketball, so don't sweat it. We need these hordes of dumbasses who like highlights featuring uncontested dunks and tricky one-on-one moves and think that when this happens, it "swings the momentum" and "gets the crowd into the game". They pay the freight so we can keep watching the real game.

rascal
05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
It is only about drawing listeners to his show and apparantly you two are listening.

MaNu4Tres
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Not that it matters, but I'm tired of Spur fan bitching and moaning about an opinion of an ESPN analyst (whom probably doesn't watch or follow the Spurs). Who cares? I mean really.

Spurs have a damn good shot at this thing, so let's just let it play out before crying over an opinion.

Jimcs50
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I've always thought of him as a huge douche.

2. Why are the Thunder the # 1 seed in the West ? Because they have Durant,Westbrook and Harden.

I mean, how can anyone with a sports talk show not know the freaking seedings in the playoffs???

:lol

vander
05-18-2012, 11:17 AM
spurs haven't proved him wrong yet, thunder are going to be tough, and a healthy miami or chicago would have been even tougher.

Jimcs50
05-18-2012, 11:20 AM
spurs haven't proved him wrong yet, thunder are going to be tough, and a healthy miami or chicago would have been even tougher.

That is not my point....he was saying that Ok City is the #1 seed....I mean, how out of touch can one be?

will_spurs
05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah, and he can score on Bruce Bowen too. That tells you all you need to know about him.

Russ
05-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Don't be too hard on old Colin.

He's just reacting cuz he's got a Spurs fan in his face every day -- Michelle Beadle on their Sports Nation TV show.

davidbowie
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
like rascal alluded to he really does come off as some guy who just gives "controversial" or contrary opinions so he can keep his job by getting people riled up. it doesn't just stop at sports. it's movies, music, women, life lessons etc. he seriously has a terrible opinion about every subject you can think of. people will get mad and tweet him and send him hate mail and they may call occasionally and he'll talk over them and hang up before they can reply. it's a schtick. he gets ratings and is still on the air because of this i'm sure. half the people that come into the studio seem disgusted by him and even fellow espn radio dudes talk shit about him. well, at least ryen resiilo does.

even with all that though i truly think the worst part about his show is how unfunny he is. he tells the worst jokes and does this played out ron burgundy-ish voice. or he will come off as a man's man who loves chicks and winning. there is just nothing remotely likeable about him. i mean tune in to espn news right now. look at him. he is wearing a friggin disney track suit. smh.

Whisky Dog
05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
He makes a lot of sense about a lot of life type things, but he just doesn't know basketball at all. I wish he just wouldn't talk about it if he won't care to keep up and really follow it.

timvp could mainline nothing but coke and LSD for three straight days and mutter in his sleep more insightful NBA stuff than Cowherd produces.

Vito Corleone
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Isn't cowherd the guy that got his start in radio by winning the Jim Rome smack off?

Man In Black
05-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Isn't cowherd the guy that got his start in radio by winning the Jim Rome smack off?

That guy is JT The Brick.
Cowherd is anti-Spur but truth...he'll be forced to talk about them soon enough. :hat

tmtcsc
05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Not that it matters, but I'm tired of Spur fan bitching and moaning about an opinion of an ESPN analyst (whom probably doesn't watch or follow the Spurs). Who cares? I mean really.

Spurs have a damn good shot at this thing, so let's just let it play out before crying over an opinion.

You are COMPLETELY missing the point of this thread. As SJax would say to Cowherd: "Fuck yo opinion fool".

I was pointing out how uninformed he is on FACTS.

1. Thunder are NOT the # 1 seed in the West.

2. Thunder are NOT overwhelming favorites to win it all. Yesterday, the bookies in Vegas made the Spurs the # 1 favorite. In fact, the Spurs have now become media darlings and are getting mad love all over the place.

My point was - Cowherd is totally ignorant to the NBA. Opinions are opinions and facts are facts. I have a problem when talk-show hosts spew uninformed garbage to back their takes.

OKC just might win it all. I have no issue with him believing it.

Man In Black
05-18-2012, 12:04 PM

That guy is JT The Brick.
Cowherd is anti-Spur but truth...he'll be forced to talk about them soon enough. :hat:downspin:

InRareForm
05-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Cowherd isn't good at critiquing the NBA. HE needs to stick to college football and NFL.

T Park
05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Don't be too hard on old Colin.

He's just reacting cuz he's got a Spurs fan in his face every day -- Michelle Beadle on their Sports Nation TV show.

Who's leaving for NBC. Like her tweet halftime last night.

"switching from Willie Anderson jersey to Terry Cummings."

:lol

T Park
05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
JT the Brick is a GIaNt spurs fan. He's been singing their virtues since mid march.

Horse
05-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Here's what he said:

3. Why are the Thunder the overwhelming favorites to win it all now that Bosh is out for the Heat ? Because they have Durant,Westbrook and Harden.

Earlier this year, he gave the same tired take he usually has for the Spurs - They're good but "old" and OKC has too much firepower for them.

I'm not one to complain about the Spurs getting a lack of respect from the National media, but this dude's ignorance and lack of knowledge on current seeding for the playoffs was ridiculous - even for ESPN.

I'm actually one of those fans that prefers the Spurs not get any hype during the journey. -- I prefer the accolades for them AFTER they win it all. Last night's scoring drought and sloppiness was enough to remind me that the Spurs are beatable. This isn't a "done deal" as far as a Championship. OKC will be tough.
That fucking moron also said the lakers have the most rings with 18. They have 16, boston has 17.

hater
05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Not that it matters, but I'm tired of Spur fan bitching and moaning about an opinion of an ESPN analyst

amen

why the fuck you listen to ESPN :lol

and if you do why the fuck you get buthurt??

jestersmash
05-18-2012, 12:51 PM
The thing is, Cowherd isn't really an NBA analyst. He's an "all-around" sports analyst, so he's required to watch basketball, baseball, football, etc. and have an intelligible (note: not intelligent, but "intelligible") position on everything.

Ultimately he ends up having a superficial, mediocre understanding of everything as opposed to any real in-depth understanding of anything.

I think Israel Gutierrez is probably a bigger joke to ESPN. He is an NBA analyst, but his takes on the non-star-studded teams have been pretty amateurish thus far.

The vast majority of ESPN NBA analysts can plainly see the problem of having a top-heavy team like Miami. Wade goes 2-13 and the Heat can't even break 80 points. Tony Parker goes 1-9 in game 1 and the Spurs drop 108 and win by 16. The results speak for themselves.

K-State Spur
05-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Cowherd isn't good at critiquing the NBA. HE needs to stick to college football and NFL.

That implies that he knows something about those sports...

jestersmash
05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
By the way, FWIW, Cowherd pulls in $2 million/year at ESPN, and every time you watch his show on ESPN you're essentially promoting him by helping his ratings.

He doesn't give a shit about hurting Spurfan feelings or readily dismissing small market teams. He's laughing all the way to the bank.

Really if you were smart, you'd realize that Cowherd has nothing useful or insightful to say about basketball and you'd just ignore him. Cowherd doesn't care that your feelings are hurt. He's probably ecstatic that he's snagging viewer ratings from pissed off Spurfans like the OP.

Spurminator
05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
You guys continue to be under the mistaken impression that these guys are hired for the breadth of their sports knowledge, and that any display of ignorance about any particular sport constitutes a failure on their part to do their job.

They're opinion peddlers and their job is to excite you emotionally.

jestersmash
05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
You guys continue to be under the mistaken impression that these guys are hired for the breadth of their sports knowledge, and that any display of ignorance about any particular sport constitutes a failure on their part to do their job.

Well, to be fair, Cowherd is hired for his "breadth" of (albeit superficial) sports knowledge. He isn't hired for his depth of NBA/NFL/NHL/etc. knowledge.

Spurminator
05-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, to be fair, Cowherd is hired for his "breadth" of (albeit superficial) sports knowledge. He isn't hired for his depth of NBA/NFL/NHL/etc. knowledge.

I'd say it's more for his sports "awareness" but my main point is that he's hired for his ability to articulate an opinion.

703 Spurz
05-18-2012, 01:32 PM
In fact, the Spurs have now become media darlings and are getting mad love all over the place.

I happened to eat lunch today at a place that has TVs all over and on SportsCenter, there wasn't any mention of the Spurs game last night. All they discussed was the Heat and Lakers.

From the Heat cancelling practice today, to Wade and Spoelstra, to then asking if the Lakers can come back.

This was fine by me as I had already seen the highlights from last night's Spurs game. I just had to sit back and laugh at how biased that channel is.

DDS4
05-18-2012, 01:36 PM
This is the same guy who liked Oden over Durant before draft day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LulSsTbflGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC3NlkiqF8A

Axe Murderer
05-18-2012, 01:43 PM
This is the same guy who liked Oden over Durant before draft day?

I know right? Who the hell would be so crazy to think that????

Other than every owner in the NBA but what do they know about basketball?

SupremeGuy
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
The fuck are you talking about?

I don't know how you all do shit up in America's hat, but owners are usually clueless and barely involved day to day process of running a team. They hire professionals to run the team for them. Ever heard of team presidents and general managers?

FromWayDowntown
05-18-2012, 03:45 PM
They play the hits; they talk about things that get ratings, in the belief that it will enhance their own ratings.

It can be a vicious cycle in some ways; if they bothered to acknowledge how good the Spurs have been, people might tune in more to see what the Spurs are up to -- they choose, instead, to stick with the tried-and-true and then complain that the Spurs can't bring them any ratings.

The ignorance is laughable, but others are absolutely correct: if you acknowledge it, particularly with anger, you basically encourage it.

cd98
05-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Everyone knows Colin is dillusional. He thought he could score on Bruce Bowen, so they had a one on one game, probably on Youtube, and Bruce did not go easy on him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5048734

Obstructed_View
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
He's an idiot, but he's not unaware of the Spurs. He's just doing what he does to tweak Michelle Beadle. And who in their right mind wouldn't enjoy tweaking Michelle Beadle?

Solid D
05-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Last year, fairly well into the baseball season, Cowherd said on his show that the Texas Rangers didn't have the pitching staff to make if far in the playoffs. That's a year after playing in the World Series and on their way to their 2nd consecutive WS appearance.

SnakeBoy
05-18-2012, 08:10 PM
I was actually listening to cowherd when he said OKC was the #1 seed and was like WTF!

On my way home I was listening to two black guys on espn radio (don't know their names) and they just flat out admitted they disrespect the spurs because even though they're a great team the spurs don't get ratings and they have stock options to think about. At least they're honest about it.

Spurtacus
05-18-2012, 08:16 PM
http://www.beertripper.com/OffTopic/2010/off-pics/Michelle_Beadle/Michelle_Beadle_red_dress.jpg

i'd tweak

She's leaving ESPN.

:depressed

bayareaspursfan
05-18-2012, 08:19 PM
I always hated cowherd. Couple of weeks ago, he said tony parker has passed his prime so the spurs is not a contender.

BadOne
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Bowen owned this fool.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5048734&categoryid=2459788

Pretty much throw's his "knowledge" of basketball out the window.

:hat

Obstructed_View
05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Bowen owned this fool.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5048734&categoryid=2459788

Pretty much throw's his "knowledge" of basketball out the window.

:hat

Throws ESPN's knowledge out the window that they referred to Bowen as "former NBA defensive player of the year".

lefty
05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
http://www.beertripper.com/OffTopic/2010/off-pics/Michelle_Beadle/Michelle_Beadle_red_dress.jpg

i'd tweak
Lovely

tesseractive
05-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Throws ESPN's knowledge out the window that they referred to Bowen as "former NBA defensive player of the year".

I laughed at that too.

BadOne
05-18-2012, 08:35 PM

:lol Wow, I didn't notice that at first. Good ears man. Very true they shoot themselves in the foot yet again.

PublicOption
05-18-2012, 11:02 PM
:lobt2:He knows OKC isn't the top seed. He just wants to pretend to ignore us again....Soon he won't be able to anyway.:lobt2:

Spursfan092120
05-19-2012, 12:32 AM
JT the Brick is a GIaNt spurs fan. He's been singing their virtues since mid march.

Yup...Brick's been a Spurs fan for a while now. I remember back in 02-03 he called them to win it all before everyone..even went to SA for the River Parade after they won it.

skulls138
05-19-2012, 01:01 AM

Yeah, I heard what he was saying today and if you wouldve called him, he wouldve cut you off when he wanted to and manipulate what you had to say to fit his arguement. Colin Cowherd is a nobody.

davidbowie
05-19-2012, 09:29 AM
She's leaving ESPN.

:depressed

to go work with Bill Bush at Access Hollyowood :lol

she goes from one awful co-host to even worse one

8FOR!3
05-19-2012, 09:37 AM
On the Cowboys board we call the guy Colin Cowturd, because he is a complete moron. I wouldnt take anything this guy says with a grain of salt.

haha yup. CowboysZone? Or The Ranch?

Budkin
05-19-2012, 10:34 AM

Here's what he said:

:lol I thought that's what he said. I was sitting there thinking... did he just say that the Thunder were the number one seed?? He's the ultimate LeBron and big market team defender though.

SenorSpur
05-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Cowherd thinks he knows the NBA, but he's nothing more than a overly-opinionated, whiny, loudmouth blowhard. In fact, he should be called Colin Blowhard.

Don't worry, in about a month, he, and all of the other so-called knowledgeable NBA analysts, who've been Heat-suckers and Thunder-suckers all year, will be kissing the Spurs kneecaps.

ViceCity86
05-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Colin Cowherd is a skinny dickface.
Michelle Beadle is a Spurs fan but she annoys me.

Kidd K
05-19-2012, 07:49 PM

That's stupid though. You're essentially giving ignorant people like Cowherd free reign to say the dumbest possible crap because they 'can't be proven wrong' until the Spurs win the title.

Instead, it's up to Cowherd to prove with facts and actual logic why the Spurs are worse than the Thunder. It isn't up to us to be like oh well that's a great point, when he's saying who WILL win and who WON'T. So clearly he can't be completely proven wrong until the team he chose gets knocked out and the Spurs go on and win.

So it makes no sense to excuse an idiot just because the season's not already over. He's nonsensical and illogical, and provides no good reasoning whatsoever. He doesn't even know the current seeding. He was all over the Thunder's ballsacks and they choked away the top seed.

Not to mention the Spurs have won 10 of their last 12 meetings against OKC, with 4-5 blowout wins. OKC's only two wins were @OKC and both were with SA missing key players. The Thunder sure as hell aren't favored to beat SA, nor should they be considering SA has been better this year, much better for the last half of the season, and have dominated OKC in head to head matchups for years.

skulls138
05-19-2012, 08:35 PM
That's stupid though. You're essentially giving ignorant people like Cowherd free reign to say the dumbest possible crap because they 'can't be proven wrong' until the Spurs win the title.

Instead, it's up to Cowherd to prove with facts and actual logic why the Spurs are worse than the Thunder. It isn't up to us to be like oh well that's a great point, when he's saying who WILL win and who WON'T. So clearly he can't be completely proven wrong until the team he chose gets knocked out and the Spurs go on and win.

So it makes no sense to excuse an idiot just because the season's not already over. He's nonsensical and illogical, and provides no good reasoning whatsoever. He doesn't even know the current seeding. He was all over the Thunder's ballsacks and they choked away the top seed.

Not to mention the Spurs have won 10 of their last 12 meetings against OKC, with 4-5 blowout wins. OKC's only two wins were @OKC and both were with SA missing key players. The Thunder sure as hell aren't favored to beat SA, nor should they be considering SA has been better this year, much better for the last half of the season, and have dominated OKC in head to head matchups for years.

Well said.

dbreiden83080
05-19-2012, 08:36 PM
ESPN does not really hire experts on sports.. They seem to like ignorant talking heads..