PDA

View Full Version : Big 12/SEC Bowl Partnership

leemajors
05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2012/5/18/3028922/big-12-sec-announce-bowl-partnership

The Big 12 and Southeastern Conferences have announced a five-year agreement for their football champions to meet in a postseason bowl game following the 2014 season.

The champions of the two conferences will be in the matchup unless one or both are selected to play in the new four-team model to determine the national championship. Should that occur, another deserving team from the conference(s) would be selected for the game.

"A new January bowl tradition is born," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. "This new game will provide a great matchup between the two most successful conferences in the BCS era and will complement the exciting postseason atmosphere created by the new four-team model. Most importantly, it will provide our student-athletes, coaches and fans with an outstanding bowl experience."

TFloss32
05-18-2012, 12:14 PM
That's HUGE news when it comes to teams like Notre Dame and Florida State.

TFloss32
05-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Big XII and SEC giving the Pac-12 the bird.

ThePop
05-18-2012, 12:34 PM
So the two best teams will pretty much never play each other right? Because at least one team from both conferences will be in the national championship playoff thing.

DesignatedT
05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Edit:

Just read that the two leagues are planning on playing the game every year even if a conference (or both) has a team in the semis. Didn't realize that was the case.

This is a smart move IMO. If a top ranked team from the SEC or Big12 get left out of the 4 team playoff because of some conference champ requirement or something similar to last season then that team still gets to play in a big time bowl game.

The SEC and Big12 seem to be teaming up to counteract the big/pac alliance they have going on. After looking to be on the way down the Big12 has done nice for itself. They certainly don't seem to be a dying league anymore.

This will be a fun game each year.

DesignatedT
05-18-2012, 12:46 PM
dp

DesignatedT
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
But as a message, it’s profound. The ACC just found itself locked out of the public perception of being one of the major players. Now when it comes to football conferences, there’s a big four and there’s everybody else. (Unless you think there’s a lot more cachet to a ACC-Big East partnership than I do.) If you don’t think this is going to add more fuel to the FSU fire, you’re nuts. I’ll leave you to speculate on what Slive hopes to gain here. Let’s just say that if I were John Swofford’s dog, I’d be keeping a low profile today.

The SEC just chose a side. The ACC lost.

With Slive choosing the big12 to partner up with it looks like the ACC is now going to be the league that slowly dissolves.

Blake
05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Ha ha! Fuck UT and the big 12. We're headed for the big time SEC now. Laters losers!

.....wait wut?

ChumpDumper
05-18-2012, 01:32 PM
So the two best teams will pretty much never play each other right? Because at least one team from both conferences will be in the national championship playoff thing.There will probably be four SEC teams in the playoffs and the Big 12 champ will play #5, which still won't be Texas A&M.

DesignatedT
05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Blake and Chump per the usual. Two stupid ass remarks.

Get over it guys, we're gone.

TFloss32
05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
With Slive choosing the big12 to partner up with it looks like the ACC is now going to be the league that slowly dissolves.

It was just a dirty power play on so many levels by the Big XII and SEC. They've marginalized ACC/Big East/Notre Dame football if those teams should stand pat, made sure their second tier teams (that are usually fringe BCS contenders) are protected and play a quality opponent each bowl season (no more Oklahoma/UConn type games) and dictated their own economic terms by creating a new financial tier which adds even more revenue to both Big XII and SEC television contracts.

Blake
05-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Get over it guys, we're gone.

The funniest part of this is that schools like Tech and TCU will have a much better shot at playing in this game than A&M now ever will.

It's just too delicious.

DesignatedT
05-18-2012, 02:56 PM
The funniest part of this is that schools like Tech and TCU will have a much better shot at playing in this game than A&M now ever will.

It's just too delicious.

Whatever you say bud.

DesignatedT
05-18-2012, 03:00 PM
It was just a dirty power play on so many levels by the Big XII and SEC. They've marginalized ACC/Big East/Notre Dame football if those teams should stand pat, made sure their second tier teams (that are usually fringe BCS contenders) are protected and play a quality opponent each bowl season (no more Oklahoma/UConn type games) and dictated their own economic terms by creating a new financial tier which adds even more revenue to both Big XII and SEC television contracts.

Definitely right. The ACC got screwed big time in all of this.

1) Major bowls right now not counting the BCS championship game,
Rose - $18 million payout
Sugar - $18
Fiesta - $18
Orange - $18

2) 2nd Tier - a notch below
Cotton - $6.75 payout
Chicken - $3.35
Outback - $4.25
Cap One - $4.0

Conferences would like for the playoffs to be contested through the bowls with maybe only the NCG to be bid out to interested cities.

If they take two of the big bowls (let's say Fiesta and Orange for arguments sake, and the other two are tied into the B10/P12/SEC & B12 conferences, then the ACC champ will be forced to a smaller....and here is the big point....a.MUCH less paying bowl.

And if their champ gets paid a lot less, it trickles down to all of the other teams as they get forced down the ladder as well.

The next step is 16 team conferences IMO and this all but ensures the end of the current bowl system as it is.

DesignatedT
05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
I also love how the schools and the two conferences are running this bowl without the bs bowl committee getting in the way.

vander
05-18-2012, 03:30 PM
i forget, how many teams are in the former big 12? 10? is BYU in there now?

yavozerb
05-18-2012, 03:34 PM
i forget, how many teams are in the former big 12? 10? is BYU in there now?

10 teams currently...Byu may be the list but its looking like they well be near the bottom.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Get over it guys, we're gone.I was actually saying how good the SEC is. Sorry.

I know A&M is gone. They won't make the playoffs or this bowl.

Sisk
05-18-2012, 04:01 PM
I was actually saying how good the SEC is. Sorry.

I know A&M is gone. They won't make the playoffs or this bowl.

Beep beep

Blake
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Whatever you say bud.

Budhurt

ChumpDumper
05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Beep beepI personally am looking forward to UTSA's representing C-USA against a Sun Belt opponent in the Cici's Pizza Meltdown Bowl presented by Cash America Pawn.

Brad2217
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
queer