PDA

View Full Version : Playing Patty Mills over Gary Neal next game.

GabeIsGone
05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Anyone else with me? Gary's been getting abused by the clippers small fast guards. Mills would stand a better chance of keeping up with them, and is still a decent 3 point threat.

Just keep Mills on a short leash, don't see why pop can't just try him out to see how he does.

celldweller
05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Anyone else with me? Gary's been getting abused by the clippers small fast guards. Mills would stand a better chance of keeping up with them, and is still a decent 3 point threat.

Just keep Mills on a short leash, don't see why pop can't just try him out to see how he does.

I'd want to see it, but Pop ain't gonna fix something that's not broken.

Dr Cox
05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Maybe it is me but I like Neal on the court, it keeps the opp. defense honest.

8FOR!3

This. The only way I could see that happening is if Gary Neal starts missing a lot of shots.

Spurminator
Let's wait until we lose a game.

coyotes_geek
05-18-2012, 01:08 PM

I think it would work, but then it's not like what we're doing now isn't working despite Neal's ballhandling issues.

Keepin' it real
05-18-2012, 01:10 PM

I am not with you. We need Neal out there. Bonafide 3 point assassin.

Drom John
05-18-2012, 01:12 PM
If Pop can move Blair from starter to mop-up, then Pop can bring in Mills versus Bledsoe. It was working with Blair as a starter. It has worked better with Diaw.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, because pulling Gary Neal and putting in Gary Neal Four Inches Shorter makes a ton of sense.

Bruno
05-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Neal doesn't matched up well at all with Clippers but will match up very well against Lakers with Blake and against Thunder with Fisher.

Saying that, you can have two reasoning:
- The priority is to win the Clippers series. Let's try Mills who should be able to do a better job defensively against Clippers quick guard.
- Even with a bad matchup at the backup PG spot, Spurs can easily beat the Clippers. Putting Neal in the doghouse for this series could break his rhythm/confidence and makes him worthless for the rest of the playoffs.

Right now, Spurs are winning big against Clippers despite Neal. Sticking with him seems like a good choice. If Spurs lost game 3 with Neal being a big reason of that loss, it will be time to give a try to Mills.

TampaDude
05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Let's wait until we lose a game.

Okay...so next January, then? :lol

ChumpDumper
05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't necessarily want Patty to take Neal's minutes, but perhaps see if he can take some of Tony's minutes in this b2b. He's the only player in danger of being overplayed.

Beanzamillion21
05-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Not gonna happen. Gary Neal is clutch as fuck. Mills is unproven in a Silver & Black uniform. I can recall many a time Neal has spared the Spurs out of games late, the guy has giant cajones and isn't scared of shit.

TampaDude
05-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Not gonna happen. Gary Neal is clutch as fuck. Mills is unproven in a Silver & Black uniform. I can recall many a time Neal has spared the Spurs out of games late, the guy has giant cajones and isn't scared of shit.

Yeah, Neal is iffy at point, but he's a stone cold killer from 3. :hat

roycrikside
05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Would've been a better argument if Games 1 and 2 were reversed, tbh. I thought Neal played better in game 2 than in game 1. Nothing he did in game 2 would lead you to believe he deserves to be benched. Even his defense was better.

SupremeGuy
05-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Yes, because pulling Gary Neal and putting in Gary Neal Four Inches Shorter makes a ton of sense.:lol

So damn true.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-18-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't necessarily want Patty to take Neal's minutes, but perhaps see if he can take some of Tony's minutes in this b2b. He's the only player in danger of being overplayed.

This makes sense.

timvp
05-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Neal doesn't matched up well at all with Clippers but will match up very well against Lakers with Blake and against Thunder with Fisher.

Yeah, that's why I wouldn't make a move. Neal will be needed in the WCF. And the Heat are still the favorite to make the Finals, and if the Spurs happen to reach that series, Neal is fine against Chalmers/Cole.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2012, 01:52 PM

Agreed. If one were going to do it, that would be the reasoning.

spurraider21
05-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Neal with it

Whisky Dog
05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I would definitely try to give him about 4-5 of TP's minutes in game 3 if the Spurs can afford to do so. I think he can keep up with Bledsoe well enough and by hitting that 3 in game 2 the Clippers would be likely to account for him and open things up inside. If Mills could give 5 solid minutes to rest Parker he'd be a big help.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-18-2012, 02:37 PM

I agree and already posted this on the game grades thread.

I think the offense stagnates in this series when Neal's out there. It would definitely not stagnate with Mills buzzing around.

Neal will be much more effective against the Lakers if it comes to that (unlikely). Against the Thunder, maybe, but not so much.

AlleyOopNazi
05-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Give Patty a shot in the 4th game. Give gary a rest mills will be fresh legs and can find his own shot againsst a tired clippers bench.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Neal's +/- has been south of zero for months and hes having to be yanked or played at his beneficial position of the 2.

I love Neal but when forced into the role of primary ballhandler, he wilts against plus defenders. He is not going to even be able to get away from Derek Fisher. Hill, Rondo, Westbrook or the 76ers guards would murder him.

Its bad news but I don't know that Mills is the answer. He can shoot but he doesn't do well with the spacing and angles of the pick and roll.

z0sa
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
No.

Whisky Dog
05-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Seeing how Neal only plays backup point I doubt he'd be going against Westbrook, Rondo, etc. Neal can hold his own against the bench pg Of most teams

tesseractive
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Seeing how Neal only plays backup point I doubt he'd be going against Westbrook, Rondo, etc. Neal can hold his own against the bench pg Of most teams

Fair enough, but when other teams play their starters for long minutes, it's nice to have backups that can do at least spot duty against them.

K-State Spur
05-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Neal's +/- has been south of zero for months and hes having to be yanked or played at his beneficial position of the 2.

I love Neal but when forced into the role of primary ballhandler, he wilts against plus defenders. He is not going to even be able to get away from Derek Fisher. Hill, Rondo, Westbrook or the 76ers guards would murder him.

Its bad news but I don't know that Mills is the answer. He can shoot but he doesn't do well with the spacing and angles of the pick and roll.

in what world are fisher and Westbrook + defenders?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Fair enough, but when other teams play their starters for long minutes, it's nice to have backups that can do at least spot duty against them.

It also makes it such that the opponent can dictate substitution patterns. The next two games are a back to back and I don't think you want Parker playing 40+ minutes. Neal at point is going to be a problem.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2012, 04:17 PM

Westbrook doesn't belong in there, but there's nothing wrong with Derek Fisher's defense unless you haven't been paying attention.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2012, 04:18 PM

He's athletic enough that he can press effectively. That's where Neal struggles.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Patty ha shown an ability to use his quickness to stay with quick ball handlers.

If neal was missing shots, mills would deserve a shot but neal is still knocking it down

DMC
05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
You win two in a row by 16+ each, you don't change the lineup.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-18-2012, 05:05 PM
You win two in a row by 16+ each, you don't change the lineup.

This last game Neal gave up on ball handling and ceded it to Manu. In the first game he was yanked.