PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives turn on drones

Capt Bringdown
05-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Right-wing writers, from Charles Krauthammer to Matt Drudge, join the left in criticizing domestic drone use (http://www.salon.com/2012/05/17/conservatives_turn_on_drones/singleton/)

Admitting that he was “going ACLU,” conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer called Monday for a total ban on the use of drones in U.S. airspace. As reported by RealClearPolitics, Dr. K said:

"I don’t want regulations, I don’t want restrictions, I want a ban on this. Drones are instruments of war. The Founders had a great aversion to any instruments of war, the use of the military inside even the United States. It didn’t like standing armies, it has all kinds of statutes of using the army in the country.”

"A drone is a high-tech version of an old army and a musket. It ought to be used in Somalia to hunt bad guys but not in America. I don’t want to see it hovering over anybody’s home. Yes, you can say we have satellites, we’ve got Google Street View and London has a camera on every street corner but that’s not an excuse to cave in on everything else and accept a society where you’re always under — being watched by the government. This is not what we want,” Krauthammer said on the panel portion of FOX News’ “Special Report.”

- more ->> (http://www.salon.com/2012/05/17/conservatives_turn_on_drones/singleton/)

boutons_deux
05-19-2012, 01:51 AM
It happened under Obama, so they're against it. Knee-jerk contrarianism.

They'd never be against domestic drones under dubya, never a peep, just like they said nothing abou the Patriot Act. "If you've do nothing wrong, nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about."

DMX7
05-19-2012, 06:44 AM
They are not a fan of things that could adversely affect THEM either - this must have hit a little too close to home. I like how he cites standing armies as something the founding fathers were against, yet he doesn't have a problem with that.

mouse
07-18-2012, 04:00 AM
good point

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 04:10 AM
It happened under Obama, so they're against it. Knee-jerk contrarianism.

They'd never be against domestic drones under dubya, never a peep, just like they said nothing abou the Patriot Act. "If you've do nothing wrong, nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry about."
You are so wrong. Why can't you, for one moment, put the reins on your bias?

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 04:43 AM
"Why can't you, for one moment, put the reins on your bias?"

bias?

The FACTS are that the REPUGS and their VRWC hate/slander machine are 100% against anything the Dems propose or do, while supporting, or at worst remaining silent, when Repugs do something. FUCKING FACTS, not bias.

Govt snooping of EVERYTHING electronic by Human-Americans that started the REPUG Patriot Act is much more dangerous than domestic drones.

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 05:57 AM

bias?

The FACTS are that the REPUGS and their VRWC hate/slander machine are 100% against anything the Dems propose or do, while supporting, or at worst remaining silent, when Repugs do something. FUCKING FACTS, not bias.

Govt snooping of EVERYTHING electronic by Human-Americans that started the REPUG Patriot Act is much more dangerous than domestic drones.

You need to buy a clue.

Republican does not equal conservative!

Clipper Nation
07-18-2012, 06:51 AM
You need to buy a clue.

Republican does not equal conservative!

And hasn't since Newt Gingrich first got elected to public office tbh...

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Repugs are surrogates and cheerleaders for conservatives.

This "I'm a too pure a conservative to be Repug" is bogus bullshit.

mercos
07-18-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree completely. I don't like the use of drones on US soil, and I don't like much of the Patriot Act. Civil liberties have come under massive assault since 9-11, and we need a massive push back. This has been one particular area that Obama has disappointed me in.

On a side note, despite frequently disagreeing with his opinions, Charles Krauthammer is one conservative I enjoy hearing from. One of the better pundits in America, right or left.

Clipper Nation
07-18-2012, 10:16 AM

The Republican Party isn't even conservative by definition anymore, unless the Patriot Act, expensive nation-building, TARP, Romneycare, etc. somehow shrinks the scope and cost of our government, B....

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
If the Repugs are not conservatives, then the conservatives are effete, out-of-power assholes in the peanut gallery, sniffing down their self-congratulatory noses at non-"conservatives".

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 11:02 AM

bias?

lol facts

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Ummm...no.

Clipper Nation
07-18-2012, 11:31 AM
If the Repugs are not conservatives, then the conservatives are effete, out-of-power assholes in the peanut gallery, sniffing down their self-congratulatory noses at non-"conservatives".

Or simply people who disagree with the current GOP platform tbh...

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
conservatives may disagree with Repug policies, but don't they eat their ideological purity and vote Repug always?

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 11:46 AM
conservatives may disagree with Repug policies, but don't they eat their ideological purity and vote Repug always?

Nope. Some might. Others won't.

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 11:49 AM
ideologically pure conservatives vote Dem? Most probably an ineffectively small %age, but that's the kind of posts you make.

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the club, bot.

Clipper Nation
07-18-2012, 12:41 PM
ideologically pure conservatives vote Dem? Most probably an ineffectively small %age, but that's the kind of posts you make.

If a liberty minded candidate ran as a Democrat, I'd vote for them.... and no, bailouts and wealth redistribution do not equal liberty....

boutons_deux
07-18-2012, 01:07 PM
liberty!

freedom!

tri-cornered hats!

marans!

What (Dem) policies are impinging on yours??

TeyshaBlue
07-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Most probably an ineffectively small %age, but that's the kind of posts you make.

lol

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Nope. Some might. Others won't.

It's my view that if we actually had real conservative candidates, or had more conservative issues to vote on, that more conservative voters would actually vote, and we would have less liberals elected.

Clipper Nation
07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
It's my view that if we actually had real conservative candidates, or had more conservative issues to vote on, that more conservative voters would actually vote, and we would have less liberals elected.

Maybe the GOP should nominate actual conservatives then instead of forcing through the current crop of fearmongering neocons that scare rednecks and the elderly into voting for them tbh....

Wild Cobra
07-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Maybe the GOP should nominate actual conservatives then instead of forcing through the current crop of fearmongering neocons that scare rednecks and the elderly into voting for them tbh....
That would be a nice start.

DMC
07-18-2012, 06:38 PM
The title can mean two opposite things.

I have a good friend who works on UAVs in Afghanistan. He actually "turns on drones" daily.