PDA

View Full Version : Who knew? Aerobic activity can be evil.

adrienne
06-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Okay, so I've always been a bit of a workoutaholic. But since I miscarried a couple months ago, it's been even more so...it's a release. Tonight I was running like mad on the treadmill in the gym of our apartment complex, a usual daily activity....and suddenly I woke up in a heap at the end of it. Luckily my husband was there, he's now scolding, lecturing, ordering me not to move from the couch and forcing gatorade and water down my throat.

I hope this calms me down...is there some kind of actual diagnosable (is that a word?) disorder that has to do with this? I'm trying to decide if I should talk to a doctor.

theinstitute
06-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Adrienne, sorry to hear the news. Hope you are feeling better.

Did you actually black out? I have seen people pass out on a treadmill before - one lady had all the skin scraped off her nose and some from her lips and cheeks. If you literally passed out, you might want to get checked out. I would suggest your OB-GYN and tell him/her what you were doing.

When you say you were running like mad, how hard would you rate the activity? For example, on a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being the max, what number would you assign it? If you only rate it a 5 or 6, I would certainly see your doctor and preferably the OB-GYN.

Also, had you eaten regular meals throughout the day? Sometimes skipping meals, a lack of hydration and our hot summers coupled with an intense workout (like a 9 or 10) can cause this sort of thing.

At the very least, take it easy for a couple of days and maybe just do some walking on the treadmill.

E20
06-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Open a window and have a bottle of water or sports drink near. Also, never take powder supplements while you're working out or drink Milk(regular) an hour before a workout. I had to learn the hard way.

adrienne
06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, I was inbetween a jog and a run really, not sure how fast....problem is I was approaching 40 minutes of it after an hour before work and 45 minutes when I got home. I just overdid it. I always have plenty of water with me...my problem is knowing when to say it's enough.:(

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 10:11 PM
45 minutes on a treadmill at a medium pace is not overdoing it. I think you may want to see a doctor regarding the episode, it could be the sign of something. Better safe than sorry Adrienne.

adrienne
06-22-2005, 10:13 PM
I know that itself isn't overdoing it...but including two previous hours in the day, and about that much every other day....that could be overdoing it.

theinstitute
06-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow - that's alot of cardio in one day. It sounds like all you did was overdo it. If I were you, I would take it easy for a couple of days and see how you feel. If you start feeling better then obviously over doing it is all you did, but if you don't start feeling better, get to the doctor.

Kori Ellis
06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Adrienne, go to a doctor and get checked anyway. Passing out isn't something to be taken lightly no matter the circumstances.

kris
06-23-2005, 02:35 AM
See a physician, not the forum.

travis2
06-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Doctor. Now. Don't make us call your hubby.

ObiwanGinobili
06-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Okay, so I've always been a bit of a workoutaholic. But since I miscarried a couple months ago, it's been even more so...it's a release. Tonight I was running like mad on the treadmill in the gym of our apartment complex, a usual daily activity....and suddenly I woke up in a heap at the end of it. Luckily my husband was there, he's now scolding, lecturing, ordering me not to move from the couch and forcing gatorade and water down my throat.

I hope this calms me down...is there some kind of actual diagnosable (is that a word?) disorder that has to do with this? I'm trying to decide if I should talk to a doctor.

Adrienne - speaking as a women who has had 4 miscarriages and who, in the past, has also worked out like it was the end of the world - I would say this disorder is called "please keep myslef ultra busy and preocuppied so I don;t have to deal or think about the loss i've suffered".
I could be wrong. but i might be right. just sayin.
In the meantime - over work out does nothign for you and can actually be damaging. Working out for more than 30-60 min. with weights and 2 hrs aerobicly is not recommended. You need to give your body and muscles time to repair after they have been "broken down" from a workout. Try to keep aerobic activity to 5 or les times a week and weight trainign around 3. Also - while eating right before workout is silly - try to carb up an hour or 2 before and keep yourself well well hydrated.
^^ that part is from my husband who is a certified personal trainer - althoguh he doesn't practice becasue he discovered he really doesn't like "people" :lol

hope that helps.. if not, well I suck. :princess

ObiwanGinobili
06-23-2005, 07:43 AM
I know that itself isn't overdoing it...but including two previous hours in the day, and about that much every other day....that could be overdoing it.

yeah. thats over doing it.

MiNuS
06-23-2005, 11:19 AM
2 months ago and a missed carriage. My wife also had the same thing two months ago. I know what you have been going through. My sister in law is now pregnant and all of sudden other couples that we know are pregnant. You should walk and not try to over do you work. My wife wanted to start running and doing aerobics but she found out that it isn't the same as before.
We have now been overkilling the restaurant tour. We went to Hooters,Picadillo and Whataburger during our visit to San Antonio. DON"T Go to Picadillo if you can go to MI Tierra. Very differrent.Picadillo was horrible!Flys all over and drunk old men with Stacy shoes! It was father's day when we went but save yourself the visit.

adrienne
06-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I got into see the doctor this morning before work....he sort of gave me the same lecture as my husband and some of you. I'm forbidden to do anything but walk on the treadmill for the next few days....

Should have realized I was out of control, but it had to take a blackout to get it through my head.:)

travis2
06-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Good girl, Adrienne. Us oldtimers didn't welcome you back to see you hurt yourself. :)

tlongII
06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Could be tachacardia. That is rapid heart beat and is usually not life-threatening. I have it myself so I'm familiar with it. My mother has it and had passed out a couple of times before she had a cauterizing procedure done on some nerves on her heart. Now she's fine.