PDA

View Full Version : AFP: Spurs look forward to the challenge of game seven at home

bigbendbruisebrother
06-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Spurs look forward to the challenge of game seven at home
Agence Française de Presse
Wed Jun 22, 4:42 PM ET

Since this is only the third time in National Basketball Association history the past two champions have battled in the title series, it seems fitting this year's NBA final comes down to game seven.

"I think it is great," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "I can't think of anyone who would not want to be involved in something like this.

"Sure you would rather be 4-0 and go on vacation, but if somebody had said at the beginning of the year 'you are going to be in game seven of the NBA finals and it is a lock', I would say 'I'll take it.'"

Popovich still has many of the same players on this year's team that won the NBA title in 2003.

But in Thursday's winner-take-all contest at San Antonio's SBC Center arena, the Spurs are going to have to cut down on their mistakes and match the toughness of the defending champion Detroit Pistons.

The Spurs committed a number of late turnovers and missed seven consecutive shots down the stretch in losing 95-86 in Tuesday's game six to the Pistons.

It was the first win for Detroit in San Antonio in eight years and it set the stage for the first game seven in the NBA finals since 1994 when Houston beat New York 90-84.

"We are disappointed about the game last night but we understand that we made a lot of mistakes and we did a lot of things wrong. We hope to correct those," said Spurs Tim Duncan, who finished with 21 points and 15 rebounds on Tuesday.

"I have never been in a game seven before. I am excited about it and to get to the floor."

Duncan admits to having butterflies just thinking about being in a game seven of the finals but said it won't take him long to feel comfortable on the court once the game starts.

"It will be nerve-wracking between now and then but once you get to the floor and get a minute or two into the game I will be excited to be out there," said Duncan, who registered his 16th double double in 17 finals games on Tuesday.

"We are going to stick with our game plan and continue to move the ball. I want to be aggressive. I want to get the ball."

Like any great floor general, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili took the game six loss hard, personally accepting responsibility for the club's fourth quarter struggles.

"I didn't play that smart in the last two minutes and they did," said Argentina's Ginobili. "That's the difference between winning and losing at this point of the season.

"Little mistakes are the ones that can hurt you. That part we can control. Playing smarter and moving the ball more is something we can do. We know there is another chance."

After winning the first two games by a combined 36 points, the Spurs have lacked poise and toughness in four close contests since.

The Spurs blew a 2-0 lead against the Los Angeles Lakers in last year's semi-finals and some supporters are wondering if they are headed for another collapse.

But Duncan is confident they will be able to recover from Tuesday's crushing defeat and force the tempo in game seven.

"Devastating losses are there, but if you let them affect you for more than the time that it happens then it affects your whole game," Duncan said. "Once we get all the hoopla behind us we will be ready to perform."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050622/ts_alt_afp/basketnbafinals_050622204258&printer=1;_ylt=AkJvhDbetDDknfRj3O3P4BLZa7gF;_ylu=X 3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-