PDA

View Full Version : If we manage to keep Boris Diaw beyond this season...

Outlier
05-19-2012, 05:06 AM
Are we set at the PF/C spot for however long Timmy still plays?

PG is also set. TP's not going anywhere.

SF is set. Kawhi's not going anywhere.

I don't know about Danny Green yet, but he seems to love this team.

We have a pretty stable line-up for the next couple of years. I don't think you can say that for many other teams. You guys might argue that we still need a bigger player to start at the C spot instead of Diaw. But I think what Diaw brings is pretty special enough already. And Diaw isn't that old, he's the same age as Tony Parker.

Sense
05-19-2012, 05:13 AM
:lol delusional Spurs fan still thinks Timmy is playing PF.

Outlier
05-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Okay PF - C whatever. The point is are we set at those positions with Diaw and Duncan because I love what Diaw brings.

SenorSpur
05-19-2012, 07:07 AM
No. The Spurs are not set. They still need a young, legitimate PF/C, who can defend the rim, rebound, defend and occasionally score in the paint.

One reason the Spurs need to get this type of big into their program immediately is so he can at least have a chance to develop and tutor under Duncan, who as we all know, is expected to play another couple of years.

Of course, at this point, the only thing the Spurs currently have at their disposal is their 2nd round pick in the upcoming June draft. However, there are certainly a few rooks in mind, toward the end of the round, that could possibly fit that bill. Check out Henry Sims, from Georgetown. He's one that I hope will be available to them.

TheCerebral1
05-19-2012, 07:35 AM
What PF is young and good on defense. If you mean Splitter he's a natural C. Blair surely does not defend well. I'd see him traded for value if there is any.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-19-2012, 07:43 AM
No. The Spurs are not set. They still need a young, legitimate PF/C, who can defend the rim, rebound, defend and occasionally score in the paint.

Other than Splitter you mean?

Duncan/Diaw/Splitter/Bonner are pretty much locks assuming we can resign Diaw. I guess another PF would be nice but as for centers our backup center doesn't get any minutes behind the starter as it is.

A developmental PF makes sense but I don't see that as much of a must. Blair is done.

BackHome
05-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Pretty much why we need to get Lobrek this off season. As far as other needs well a backup PG if they are not sold on Mills...Also if they can't sign Green than SG becomes the #1 priority.

Blair is gone after this season he is good player just not good enough for the best team in the NBA.

SenorSpur
05-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Should the Spurs add Lorbek this offseason, that would be OK. However, as far as I know about him, he still wouldn't supplement the Spurs rebounding, shotblocking and post scoring deficiencies. Also, it would be pointless to have both he and Bonner on the roster together. One would have to go.

Therefore, I'm still stressing the need for a young, developmental PF into the pipeline, as a potential 5th big. This has to happen this summer.

Spurtacus
05-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Even if Diaw resigns Spurs are not set at PF/C. Blair is a decent big for the regular season but as we've seen he can't be counted on for the playoffs. Blair's entering the final year of his rookie contract and could be traded in the same manner as George Hill. I believe the Spurs also have trade exceptions from George Hill & T.J. Ford.

Immediate priority this offseason should be to resign Duncan, Diaw, Green. Assuming that happens and Mills picks up his option Spurs would be at 13 players (includes Blair & Joseph).

Knoxxx
05-19-2012, 11:31 AM
I think we will pull the Diaw/Green/Duncan re-signings, if for no other reason than Tim wants those other two guys back.

I'll be surprised if anyone offers much more than MLE money to Diaw/Green, $9 million/season for Boris surely won't happen again.

ducks
05-19-2012, 11:40 AM
hopefully blair can get the spurs higher up in the draft

tesseractive
05-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Should the Spurs add Lorbek this offseason, that would be OK. However, as far as I know about him, he still wouldn't supplement the Spurs rebounding, shotblocking and post scoring deficiencies. Also, it would be pointless to have both he and Bonner on the roster together. One would have to go.

Therefore, I'm still stressing the need for a young, developmental PF into the pipeline, as a potential 5th big. This has to happen this summer.

From what I understand, Lorbek has a post game. But yeah, we'll be enrolling him in the Matt Bonner School of how to not embarrass the team too badly on defense despite not having any aptitude for it whatsoever, and he's not going to be our rebounding guy. The good news is that he has legit center height, so he if he can learn at least basic defense, all the other stiff centers in the league won't be able to just shoot over him.

I would be okay with having both Lorbek and Bonner on the team as long as it's understood that once Lorbek is ready to crack the rotation, Bonner will be a full-time pine-rider. That allows us to bring Lorbek along at whatever pace he's ready for.

It would still be nice to have another big who can defend and rebound, even if he's undersized. Since we're carrying salary at 5 spots in our bigs rotation, that guy probably has to be cheap. Blair is cheap, so he would be an option -- as a 5th big, he's probably above average. If we can find a developmental guy worth the investment, that would also be great.

Admidave50
05-19-2012, 11:56 AM
At this point, it's fair to say that it's better to keep Boris than to sign Lorbek!

I don't know if we can get Lorbek in 1 or 2 years.

I'm pretty sure that Diaw will stay for a decent contract. He's been playing for crappy teams for too long, if the Spurs play deep I'm sure he will make efforts to play with his best friend!

Mal
05-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Use MLE on Diaw, sign Lorbek. Sign Duncan to 11-12 mil. Try to resign Green for reasonable price, if not, bring De Colo. Trade Blair and one of Mills/Joseph.

Slutter McGee
05-19-2012, 11:59 AM
There are a few factors in play here. First of which is what do we sign Duncan for? I doubt there is going to be anyway to sign both Diaw or Lorbeck unless some cap space can be carved out, and correct me if I am wrong, but that is virtually impossible right. Gonna have to use the MLE. If Diaw want's more than that then we go with Lorbeck.

Green is great, but who knows if we can match any offers. Probably could get DeColo as a replacement. Blair and/or Neal could make some good tradebait if there is a good Big or SG we could move up for in the draft.

I honestly don't see how we have a whole bunch of options until next season though.

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee
05-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Use MLE on Diaw, sign Lorbek. Sign Duncan to 11-12 mil. Try to resign Green for reasonable price, if not, bring De Colo. Trade Blair and one of Mills/Joseph.

Mills has a player option though right?

Slutter McGee

_jin
05-19-2012, 12:08 PM
If Diaw resigns, I doubt Lorbek is coming. First we wont be able to offer him much more than what he's making in Spain, and I don't think he'd come to be the 11th man or the 4th big when he's the man on one of the best teams in Europe. If he was younger, maybe, but that would be a big gamble at his age.

Proxy
05-19-2012, 12:10 PM

One reason the Spurs need to get this type of big into their program immediately is so he can at least have a chance to develop and tutor under Duncan, who as we all know, is expected to play another couple of years.

Of course, at this point, the only thing the Spurs currently have at their disposal is their 2nd round pick in the upcoming June draft. However, there are certainly a few rooks in mind, toward the end of the round, that could possibly fit that bill. Check out Henry Sims, from Georgetown. He's one that I hope will be available to them.

Let us be somewhat realistic here. Every team in the NBA wants a legitimate 7 foot big man that plays his role to perfection and a young big man prodigy... the Spurs getting either while Duncan is playing is laughable. This team is more "set" than any other franchise if it can keep this roster.

Sure you don't want to settle, but keeping Boris pushes an undersized Blair out of the rotation and allows Pop to use Matt to his appropriate usage. Getting rid of RJ and getting Jack changed the leadership and mentality of the team. Having Kawhi instead of George gets rid of another size disadvantage and adds the offensive rebounding the team hasn't had. Tiago is our legitimate big man who can play defense and score.

Team seems as "set" as it gets in relative comparison.

elemento
05-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Honestly my pipe dream would be :

Re-sign Duncan (2y/20m contract)
Re-sign Green to a contract similar to what Splitter got (3y/10m)
Re-sign Diaw with the MLE
Bring Lorbek with the LLE
Trade Blair in the draft for a late 1st or an early 2nd round pick.

We go to the next season with :

Parker/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal
Leonard/S-Jax
Diaw/Lorbek/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter

elemento
05-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Parker/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal
Leonard/S-Jax
Diaw/Lorbek/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter

AlleyOopNazi
05-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Well a lot has to happen during the off season to either re-sign the contract players or cut for veteran acquisitions ie. Batum. They should not do anything to alter the line up except attempt to get a late1sttrustworthy 1st round pick via trade IMO.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-19-2012, 12:37 PM

Parker/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal
Leonard/S-Jax
Diaw/Lorbek/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter

That would be none too shabby, but they might be gunning for cap room for the coloring summer

tesseractive
05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
That would be none too shabby, but they might be gunning for cap room for the coloring summer

With both Jack and Manu potentially coming off the cap in 2013 (depending on how long Manu keeps playing), I don't think there's much we could do this year that would keep us from having cap next year.

BackHome
05-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Parker/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal
Leonard/S-Jax
Diaw/Lorbek/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter

I like except take out Joseph he still needs another year in the D-Leauge.

CGD
05-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Parker/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal
Leonard/S-Jax
Diaw/Lorbek/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter

I don't think that is a pipe dream; I thinks that's the plan. Maybe even package Neal with Blair.

SenorSpur
05-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Let us be somewhat realistic here. Every team in the NBA wants a legitimate 7 foot big man that plays his role to perfection and a young big man prodigy... the Spurs getting either while Duncan is playing is laughable. This team is more "set" than any other franchise if it can keep this roster.
Getting a project big is NOT an unrealistic notion. After all it just in 2005 that the Spurs invested in a never-before-heard-from French prospect named Ian Mahinmi. My point is that it's not an impossible task. The reason I bring up Sims is that he's a projected "late" second round pick. He's 22 years old, meaning most teams are going to be scared off by his age AND he's considered a late bloomer. Here's the book on Sims, according to one source:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/3821

Sure you don't want to settle, but keeping Boris pushes an undersized Blair out of the rotation and allows Pop to use Matt to his appropriate usage. Getting rid of RJ and getting Jack changed the leadership and mentality of the team. Having Kawhi instead of George gets rid of another size disadvantage and adds the offensive rebounding the team hasn't had. Tiago is our legitimate big man who can play defense and score.

Team seems as "set" as it gets in relative comparison.

I agree the Spurs are not set and that they now have an opportunity to correct some of their size and skill disadvantages. Resigning Diaw should push Blair off the roster entirely. Lorbek would hopefully and eventually push Bonner off the roster.

SenorSpur
05-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Parker/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal
Leonard/S-Jax
Diaw/Lorbek/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter

It would be quite a coup if the Spurs could flip Blair to improve their position in the upcoming June NBA Draft.

tesseractive
05-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Parker/Mills/Joseph
Manu/Green/Neal
Leonard/S-Jax
Diaw/Lorbek/Bonner
Duncan/Splitter

I'd keep Blair as a 5th big in that scenario unless I could sign/draft a developmental player with defense and rebounding skills as a 5th big. Bonner/Blair is a below-average pairing, but if Duncan or Splitter went down, Bonner/Lorbek would have us absolutely pining for Blair. They both suck at the same things.

ducks
05-19-2012, 01:07 PM
I get the feeling one if not both bigs for the lakers get traded in this offseason
lakers with only one big is a total different game for them

Spurtacus
05-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I like except take out Joseph he still needs another year in the D-Leauge.

He's on a rookie contract and will likely be playing for the Toros. Nobody but the Spurs can call him up. He'll still count as being on the Spurs 15 man roster.

Thomas82
05-19-2012, 01:44 PM
I have the feeling that another George Hill-type trade is in the works for the Spurs. I think we'll end up with a player that NOBODY saw us getting.

BackHome
05-19-2012, 01:57 PM
He's on a rookie contract and will likely be playing for the Toros. Nobody but the Spurs can call him up. He'll still count as being on the Spurs 15 man roster.

Can we still trade him?

tesseractive
05-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Can we still trade him?

Yes, if he has any trade value. Given that he's a complete developmental player on a guaranteed contract, I'm skeptical about that.

Mal
05-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Mills has a player option though right?

Slutter McGee

Oh, I guess he has. My point is that Spurs dont need both