PDA

View Full Version : Magic changed his tune.

TP2150
05-19-2012, 06:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7950224

Trainwreck2100
05-19-2012, 06:40 PM
oh Irvin

timvp
05-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Magic with some pretty damn good commentary there, tbh.

P.S.

For a second, I thought he confused Jon Barry for Paxson or Kerr ... but then I realized he was probably talking to Wilbon.

TP2150
05-19-2012, 06:43 PM
That was beautiful.

Jimcs50
05-19-2012, 06:46 PM
He has been on Spurs for awhile now. He appreciates this team bball.

Mark in Austin
05-19-2012, 06:46 PM
props to Magic

Obstructed_View
05-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Watching it right now.

Yeah, I wondered who he was referring to when he said "your Bulls".

Where was Michael Irvin?

Malice
05-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Magic looks humbled, like the rest of us.

boutons_deux
05-19-2012, 06:48 PM
I thought Magic was gonna start crying

TP2150
05-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I started crying. LOL

Obstructed_View
05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Sounds like he's almost resigned to having to admit it.

SA210
05-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Not even gonna bullshit. IDGAF what anyone says, I almost got teary eyed watching this video and listening to the praise and appreciation of my favorite team that I never thought I would ever hear on national television the way Magic and the others spoke of them.

Just wow. The way Magic put it, he touched on the very thing we have been bitching about for years, exactly what they have always ignored us for...
the Anti-Ego.....TEAM.

It's a great day to be a Spurs fan, no matter what happens from here on out.

:flag:

Walton Buys Off Me
05-19-2012, 06:53 PM
P.S.

For a second, I thought he confused Jon Barry for Paxson or Kerr ... but then I realized he was probably talking to Wilbon.

:lol

I had the exact same reaction

SA210
05-19-2012, 06:53 PM
I thought Magic was gonna start crying

I almost did :rollin

100%duncan
05-19-2012, 06:55 PM
What a faggot. Get out of the Bwagon niqqa.

:lol just kidding. good shit right there

NRHector
05-19-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm not even going to comment about this clowns, I just love my boring Spurs :flag:

Sa_Spursfan20
05-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Damn. Magic was awesome there.

Thanks for the link OP. Really glad I watched that.

fraga
05-19-2012, 07:00 PM
http://www.sandlothero.com/sh/sites/default/files/images/2524558928_4b0915df60.jpg

spurs1990
05-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Amazing video for a Spurs fan to watch. Should be pinned.

And we're talking about after just game 3 in the WC semis fcol!

Jumi
05-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Not even gonna bullshit. IDGAF what anyone says, I almost got teary eyed watching this video and listening to the praise and appreciation of my favorite team that I never thought I would ever hear on national television the way Magic and the others spoke of them.

Just wow. The way Magic put it, he touched on the very thing we have been bitching about for years, exactly what they have always ignored us for...
the Anti-Ego.....TEAM.

It's a great day to be a Spurs fan, no matter what happens from here on out.

:flag:
this

No one can say anything at this point! Give respect and appreciate what we've known all year long. Everyone's eyes are open now! You just can't hate on it anymore!!!

mVp
05-19-2012, 07:04 PM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/042/2/b/happy_oh_stop_it_you_by_gallifray123-d4pe0uq.png

MmP
05-19-2012, 07:06 PM
the fact that nobody talks about the spurs makes me realise we're right on track

gospursgojas
05-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Spurs balls taste real good in all 4 of the network's mouths.

"why cant anyone appreciate that?" -Wilbon on Spurs TEAM basketball. :lol its your network that promotes those individual superstars and doesnt give a rats shit about the spurs until now.

NRHector
05-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Spurs balls taste real good in all 4 of the network's mouths.

"why cant anyone appreciate that?" -Wilbon on Spurs TEAM basketball. :lol its your network that promotes those individual superstars and doesnt give a rats shit about the spurs until now.

este wey :lol

skulls138
05-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah, he was good but that speech shouldve came along time ago, now he's just stating the obvious. The Spurs should get the benefit of any doubt simply because theyve won 4 titles but they dont. They have to win 17 in a row and 28 out of the last 32 to get respect while most of the respect goes to those who havent done squat.

Obstructed_View
05-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Magic just gave the eulogy for the the NBA's marketing campaign since 1986, at least until the Kobe vs Kevin game starts.

Proxy
05-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Magic know his shit... and Wilbon too. What's nice is seeing the other two conform.

capek
05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/capek/697322_o.gif

Biggems
05-19-2012, 07:58 PM
yeah but at halftime Magic said the Spurs would not be able to come back...that they would fight hard, but come up short......so of course he is speaking with such disbelief....the Spurs just shoved a big fat Silver and Black dick in his piehole and forced him to drink their Kool-Aid

CitizenDwayne
05-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Compare this to Stephen A Smith's arguments with Skip Bayless not too long ago.

Splits
05-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, he was good but that speech shouldve came along time ago, now he's just stating the obvious. The Spurs should get the benefit of any doubt simply because theyve won 4 titles but they dont. They have to win 17 in a row and 28 out of the last 32 to get respect while most of the respect goes to those who havent done squat.

28 of the last 31 actually.

Kidd K
05-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Jon Barry was hating on SA all season too until the ass end of it. So I don't give him much of a pass either.

Magic hated on SA less than Barry from what I recall, so I'm not sure why there's a thread about Magic when Jon Barry was doing most of the anti-Spurs trash talk on that panel (and obviously the typical Chris Brousard, "any team that didn't just play in the Finals isn't a contender" crap he spews).

As usual, the Spurs get counted out until the WCF when the idiots are forced to admit the Spurs are legit. That's why you gotta talk crap all season so it's even funnier when you get to ram it down people's throats for being wrong later. :D

CitizenDwayne
05-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't recall Magic ever "hating" on the Spurs. In fact, out of all the analysts, he has been one of the biggest Spurs supporters this season.

Still not sure why he chose the Clippers to come back, but he clearly admires the Spurs a lot.

The most interesting thing about Magic's little speech was not his Spurs love, but his love for team basketball. While not surprising coming from him, seeing an analyst openly call out ESPN's practice of superstar marketing was a great thing to see.

J21
05-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Watching it right now.

Yeah, I wondered who he was referring to when he said "your Bulls".

Where was Michael Irvin?

I think Wilbon is from Chicago

Beaverfuzz
05-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Fuck off Magic.

Beaverfuzz
05-19-2012, 08:59 PM
And fuck you too Jon Barry, no talent ass clown

Beaverfuzz
05-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Wilbon and the other mulatto are simply no-names

manustarting2gd
05-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Magic with some pretty damn good commentary there, tbh.

P.S.

I thought he was referring to the era Jon Barry played in and the team that was carving them up then was the Bulls. Who the heck knows but the rest was so , so pretty. :lobt2::flag:

TDMVPDPOY
05-19-2012, 09:02 PM
magic has a point at half time though

i dont think the spurs had ever played from behind like a +20pt deficit this season...just shows how hungry we were to win the game

easjer
05-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Jon Barry was hating on SA all season too until the ass end of it. So I don't give him much of a pass either.

Magic hated on SA less than Barry from what I recall, so I'm not sure why there's a thread about Magic when Jon Barry was doing most of the anti-Spurs trash talk on that panel (and obviously the typical Chris Brousard, "any team that didn't just play in the Finals isn't a contender" crap he spews).

As usual, the Spurs get counted out until the WCF when the idiots are forced to admit the Spurs are legit. That's why you gotta talk crap all season so it's even funnier when you get to ram it down people's throats for being wrong later. :D

I'm going to guess it's because of Magic's ridiculous comments during halftime that the Spurs couldn't come back, when they were only down by 10 at the half. Any top team should be able to at least make it a game if they are only down 10 points with an entire half to play.

Since he went from 'Spurs can't come back' at half to this praise of the Spurs, it is worth comment.

SenorSpur
05-19-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't recall Magic ever "hating" on the Spurs. In fact, out of all the analysts, he has been one of the biggest Spurs supporters this season.

Still not sure why he chose the Clippers to come back, but he clearly admires the Spurs a lot.

The most interesting thing about Magic's little speech was not his Spurs love, but his love for team basketball. While not surprising coming from him, seeing an analyst openly call out ESPN's practice of superstar marketing was a great thing to see.

All true. Magic has always been complimentary of the Spurs and their organization - and his mild adulation didn't just start this year. He's done so, when warranted, in years past.

Having said that, you don't often see Magic in awe publically, but his commentary on the Spurs were genuine, thorough and so very honest. As perhaps the greatest PG of all time, he would certainly be the one retired player who can truly appreciate team basketball - in a new NBA world of individual stars. I'm so glad he framed his comments in the manner that he did. The most surprising thing to me was Magic giving Jon Barry props for being on the Spurs bandwagon longer than him.

Thanks for posting the link.

superbigtime
05-20-2012, 12:59 PM
oh Irvin

"Earvin"

Libri
05-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I really liked that video.

JRHernandez88
05-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow. I can't believe what people are saying about us. Pounding the rock baby! We get no credit all these years but we never care about it and just keep doing our job. Finally after just doing it year after year we are getting our recognition. The truth will always come to light! Pound the rock baby...

GSH
05-20-2012, 02:20 PM
You know this team is something special. That's what it took to get those four to agree on something. And, more importantly, to admit that team ball is really beautiful to watch. But it's no surprise that Magic was the one who delivered the speech. For those baggin on him, he was someone who made the players around him better. And you can't blame him too much for thinking that game was over. No team had ever come back from that big of a first quarter deficit in the playoffs.

EVAY
05-20-2012, 03:18 PM
What impressed me was the acknowledgment that the NBA markets personalities rather than teams. And they started doing that after MJ.

That is, imo, the reason that the Spurs don't get much appreciation. It is because the NBA markets personalities and skills, so that the casual fan never really knows what constitutes good basketball, much less appreciates it.

If the NBA would educate their fans as to what the game should look like, they might be able to market it to a wider audience. Look at the tv commercials and think about what market segment they are assuming. It is certainly not mainstream America.

Some of us even loved the old 'defense first and last' Spurs because it really was great basketball. But the league couldn't sell that to a casual fan, and so it sold personalities and athletic skills alone. That's why you still hear more about Blake Griffin in national commercials than you do about Tim Duncan...but look whose team is winning.

Johnson saying it is unusual, but the reality has been there since the days of Michael Jordan.

DBMethos
05-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Brilliant video. It's refreshing to see their true opinion on this team and the state of the NBA as well, instead of spouting the usual Kobe/LeBron-centric garbage that they're known for perpetuating.

spurastic
05-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Nice little speech. It did seem to ring true that he meant what he said. But first thing that crossed my mind was that encouragement being given to hype the Spurs to encourage higher ratings for future playoff games. Labeling the Spurs as boring in the past certainly didn't help revenues.

pgardn
05-20-2012, 06:52 PM
ESPN already raided this board once. This is NOT the old "grind it out defensively" Spurs. How long does it take to realize this...

They ate crow way too late. And it was forced fed crow as other posters have already noted.

Even if we dont win the whole thing we are easily the best TEAM to watch. If the rest of the country has not seen this, screw em. They dont know basketball.

The only way to market us now is as an invicible juggernaut that cant be beat. Then maybe Durant or Lebron or whomever has the most recent best stat game can beat the massive favorites.

slayermin
05-20-2012, 09:08 PM
What made me tear up were the mariachi's playing the national anthem before game 2. Spurs probably had that before at other games but that was the first time I saw it live. Cool stuff.

As for Magic's comments, he shouldn't be surprised. TD said Magic was his favorite player growing up.

KenziE
05-20-2012, 10:43 PM
the spurs dont get clowns - wilbon

hehe so true

DMC
05-20-2012, 10:50 PM
They shunted the Spur talk and got right to talking about the Clippers and what they need to do, and right after Magic gave his "team" speech, Jon goes into talking about Chris Paul and Blake Griffin.

What "rung true" to me was that he was wrong, and he never even admitted it.

KenziE
05-22-2012, 03:14 AM
gotta love wilbon here