PDA

View Full Version : Tim To Retire Soon?

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-19-2012, 10:41 PM
I’ve been surprised to hear fans and talking heads speculating recently that Tim Duncan could be a year or two away from retirement. When I hear that notion floated, I have to wonder... barring chronic injury trouble, why would he even consider retiring at 37 or 38 years of age?

There are two names that immediately come to mind, which persuade me to consider such speculation insane… Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone. Both played the game with finesse, sound footwork, a soft touch and guile (sound like anyone we know?), and both remained among the best big men in the league throughout their 30’s.

"Duncan reminds me a lot of Kareem. Kareem wasn't a physical center, he was a finesse center. And he played until he was 41 years old." -- Pat Riley

Kareem:
Age 36: 32.8 min per game, 21.5 ppg, 7.3 reb, 1.79 blk
Age 37: 33.3 min, 21.5 ppg, 7.9 reb, 2.05 blk
Age 38: 33.3 min, 23.4 ppg, 6.1 reb, 1.65 blk
Age 39: 31.3 min, 17.5 ppg, 6.7 reb, 1.24 blk
Age 40: 28.9 min, 14.6 ppg, 6.0 reb, 1.15 blk
Age 41: 22.9 min, 10.1 ppg, 4.5 reb, 1.15 blk

Malone:
Age 36: 35.9 min, 25.5 ppg, 9.5 reb
Age 37: 35.7 min, 23.2 ppg, 8.3 reb
Age 38: 38.0 min, 22.4 ppg, 8.6 reb
Age 39: 36.2 min, 20.6 ppg, 7.8 reb
Age 40: 32.7 min, 13.2 ppg, 8.8 reb

Duncan’s numbers are down the past couple of seasons, largely because his minutes are also down (We know how Pop likes to put Timmy on ice for the postseason) and because he simply isn’t asked to carry as much of the load as he used to. Duncan is still very capable of averaging 20 points, 10 boards and 2 blocks per game if those numbers were required of him. And so far in the ’12 playoffs, I believe he’s made that quite obvious.

I can see no reason why Duncan can’t continue to play the game at a very high level for several more years. And if he can, why wouldn’t he?

spurfan78247
05-19-2012, 11:01 PM
timmy still has a few good years left IMHO...
he hasn't had a year like this in some time and looks to be in great shape:flag:

4down
05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
The showtime Spurs... barring injury, as mentioned before, I see longevity for Tim, thanks to his skillset. He wants to win, and if he can contribute even in a diminished role, I think he would do so. He didn't seem to qualify when he said he wanted to play till the wheels fall off imo tbh

CosmicCowboy
05-19-2012, 11:29 PM
I just don't see Tim hanging around until all his JuJu is gone. I see him and Amy and the kids sliding off to the islands while he is still near the top of his game. What does he have left to prove? Every year just gets harder and he already has more money than his grandkids can spend.

capek
05-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I just don't see Tim hanging around until all his JuJu is gone. I see him and Amy and the kids sliding off to the islands while he is still near the top of his game. What does he have left to prove? Every year just gets harder and he already has more money than his grandkids can spend.

Because he enjoys playing? The fire obviously hasn't died in him. So the counter question is, why would he walk away while he still loves to play the game, and is still effective?

Anyway, I do think he'll continue to play into his early 40's. From his play this season, it's clear that he and the training staff have found the magic formula for keeping his body in tiptop shape. Like he's been quoted as saying before, he'll continue to play "until the wheels fall off."

BackHome
05-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I remember watching an interview with Kareem and he talked that Duncan's game was kinda like his. He said that he thought Duncan could play in the league a lot longer then other guys.

CosmicCowboy
05-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Because he enjoys playing? The fire obviously hasn't died in him. So the counter question is, why would he walk away while he still loves to play the game, and is still effective?

Anyway, I do think he'll continue to play into his early 40's. From his play this season, it's clear that he and the training staff have found the magic formula for keeping his body in tiptop shape. Like he's been quoted as saying before, he'll continue to play "until the wheels fall off."

What was he supposed to say? When my contracts up I'm bailing? If he retires after the playoffs this year I would just want to shake his hand and thank him for all the memories. Watching Olajuwon decline was painful to watch.

Man In Black
05-19-2012, 11:54 PM
It's Tim's fundamental brilliance where he never relied on his athleticism to carry his game that makes it possible for him to play at a high level still. He says until the wheels fall off but his wheels seem to have lots of tread.

TDMVPDPOY
05-19-2012, 11:57 PM
with how shit the league is with bigs, he can play till he feels his body is not up to it, unless he loses motivation and hangs it up...

Russo21
05-20-2012, 12:06 AM
I'll cry like a little baby the day Tim hangs em up.

With his supporting cast now, i don't see why Tim couldn't do a Kareem and pile up a few more championships into his early 40s

Wild Cobra Kai
05-20-2012, 12:15 AM
It's Tim's fundamental brilliance where he never relied on his athleticism to carry his game that makes it possible for him to play at a high level still. He says until the wheels fall off but his wheels seem to have lots of tread.

dbreiden83080
05-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Don't think past this postseason..

stay in the moment...

capek
05-20-2012, 12:35 AM
What was he supposed to say? When my contracts up I'm bailing? If he retires after the playoffs this year I would just want to shake his hand and thank him for all the memories. Watching Olajuwon decline was painful to watch.

Do you have some unique information which leads you to believe that he wasn't just speaking honestly about how he feels? Like your "inside information" about Tony having a "serious" shoulder injury just before the playoffs? :rolleyes

Capster
05-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Duncan has played fabulous in the playoffs!!! Timmy ROCKS!!!

DMC
05-20-2012, 12:53 AM
When Tim's salary drops, and it will, he will be less inclined to maintain the grind. He feels good now. Why retire with bad knees or a bad back? I wouldn't want to go out like Mutombo or Yao. I would want to be able to enjoy my retirement and my kids for years to come.

He doesn't have the ego, and like Pop I don't think he loves the game itself. He plays because he's good, but I think he would prefer to be doing something else.

Andthentherewas21
05-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Well first off he has stated recently that he believes he will be playing another couple years. But beyond that, he has also said he enjoys playing the game even now. Throw in the relationship he has with Tony and Manu, I doubt he would leave while he could still contribute to the team's success. Now if a semi-serious injury were to occur then I could see him hanging things up, but he knows when hes healthy he still has game and is going to keep it going.

Spurtacus
05-20-2012, 01:25 AM
Spurs lose he'll be back next year. Spurs win the championship and its 50-50 imho. I think the drive for a back to back win brings him back for another year.

slayermin
05-20-2012, 01:40 AM
If he could go back to back and leave a squad that can compete on its own, that would be the ultimate way to go out.

capek
05-20-2012, 04:33 AM
When Tim's salary drops, and it will, he will be less inclined to maintain the grind. He feels good now. Why retire with bad knees or a bad back? I wouldn't want to go out like Mutombo or Yao. I would want to be able to enjoy my retirement and my kids for years to come.

He doesn't have the ego, and like Pop I don't think he loves the game itself. He plays because he's good, but I think he would prefer to be doing something else.

How do people come up with this crap? :pimpslap

Ask those who know Duncan what drives him, however, and they all say the same things: He loves the game. He cares just as much as the little guys do. It's one thing to claim to love the game and another, as Ferry says, "to make the sacrifices that are necessary to win." They point out how Duncan lost those 15 pounds in the last couple of years to protect his knees, at an age when most 7-footers only get stockier (and indeed, to see him in the locker room with his shirt off, devoid of body fat, is jarring). They talk about how, in contrast to David Robinson, who was lovable and smart and marketable but never could remember all the plays, Duncan "knows every play from front to back, position one through five." As longtime assistant coach Mike Budenholzer says, "Tim could coach the team if he needed to."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1198491/8/index.htm

HarlemHeat37
05-20-2012, 04:40 AM
If they win this year, I'd be surprised if he doesn't go for the repeat, tbh..

The NBA is relatively weak, at the moment..this would be Duncan's best chance at a potential repeat..

Jimcs50
05-20-2012, 05:13 AM
If he is in a hurry to get into HOF, he will retire in 2 years. I can see him playing 3 more seasons, quite honestly, if he stays healthy.

If he can win the 5th ring this year, then I think he will be somewhat motivated to win 6.

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-20-2012, 12:46 PM
While I'm confident Tim can play productively for several more years, I think he's got maybe 2 years left in which he can serve as the primary big man for a championship caliber team. We also have probably a couple of years before Parker begins to show early effects of aging into his 30's. So after this year, the team as constituted now likely has a 2-year window to add another championship (hopefully, #5 will be this year).

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-20-2012, 12:57 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/19614_o.gif

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-20-2012, 01:02 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/19614_o.gif

What?? I get what you're saying, but I don't get why you're saying it.

AlleyOopNazi
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
"til the wheels fall off". Wheels looking good so far.

Marcus Bryant
05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Obviously he is a very competitive individual who enjoys what he does.

I think if the Spurs don't have the supporting cast to compete for a title he might look at retiring, but as pointed out above his game is not built on pure athleticism, so he could play for some time to come.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-20-2012, 04:29 PM
What?? I get what you're saying, but I don't get why you're saying it.

No real point to it. Just what came up when I googled "wheels come off", made me laugh.

I guess if there was really a message to it that's that wheels can come off rather quickly, so I'm just going to savor this season for all its glory right now.

DMC
05-20-2012, 05:42 PM
How do people come up with this crap? :pimpslap

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1198491/8/index.htm

Yeah I've read all that and I could just parrot it like you obviously do, but I was expressing my opinion. Tim has the ability, I think, to walk away from the game without worrying about how many rings Kobe has.

I think Duncan is just a consummate professional and would be regardless which career he chose.

capek
05-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah I've read all that and I could just parrot it like you obviously do, but I was expressing my opinion. Tim has the ability, I think, to walk away from the game without worrying about how many rings Kobe has.

I think Duncan is just a consummate professional and would be regardless which career he chose.

:lol Timmy's statements and the words of those who work with him on a daily basis > your opinion

TD 21
05-20-2012, 06:42 PM
If they win this year, I'd be surprised if he doesn't go for the repeat, tbh..

The NBA is relatively weak, at the moment..this would be Duncan's best chance at a potential repeat..

Either way, he's made it pretty clear he'll be returning and probably for two more years. At this point, unless he falls off the face of the earth from here on out (and maybe even if he does), I'd be surprised if it's not for $28-30 million. Consider this: Nowitzki makes roughly $19 million annually, Gasol $18 and Pierce $15. For a myriad of reasons, they're comparable . . . only Duncan's been better than all three this season. So as much as that might sound like a lot, it would actually be reasonable.

Supposedly, the league is always weak when the Spurs are clearly the best team.

I don't know about it being his best chance at a potential repeat. Despite how good this team is, Parker, Ginobili, Splitter, Diaw and Mills, will all be playing in the Olympics. Given the mileage the first two and to a lesser extent, the third and fourth, already have, I'm not sure they'll have enough left in the tank next season to go the distance. Even Duncan, if they play into late June, who knows how he'll respond by next April-May. Going back to back, for a core with this mileage, hasn't been done since the end of the Bulls run.

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
No real point to it. Just what came up when I googled "wheels come off", made me laugh.

I guess if there was really a message to it that's that wheels can come off rather quickly, so I'm just going to savor this season for all its glory right now.

Never mind... misunderstood. Thought you were saying the wheels would soon come off, as opposed to saying he'll play til the wheels come off.

emanueldavidginobili
05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Him and Manu will retire at the same time :'(

ploto
05-20-2012, 08:21 PM
I think people have short memories. Sure, he looks better this year but the season was shorter. Give him a couple of full length seasons and playing far into the play-offs and I think he will retire.

DMC
05-20-2012, 08:30 PM
:lol Timmy's statements and the words of those who work with him on a daily basis > your opinion

We'll see how long Tim hangs around once the salary drops.