PDA

View Full Version : Blair at the end of the pine

Calispursfan11
05-20-2012, 01:24 AM
I think it's high time he started collecting the DNPs. No reason for him to get major minutes. Never was a reason. Worse defender than Bonner tbh and Diaw makes him even more expendable. Finally some sense in the rotation even if it means playing everyone but Blair and Anderson. Hopefully he and Anderson get along as they will be spending the rest of the playoffs right next to each other and rightly so.

Spurtacus
05-20-2012, 01:28 AM
He'll get minutes against the Thunder. Thunder don't have scoring bigs and he's played well against them this year. Bonner should be cut out of the rotation against Thunder.

DMC
05-20-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't see Pop changing it up unless we show weakness.

Hooks
05-20-2012, 02:05 AM
I wonder what his role with the team will be next year, will they use him as a workhorse during the regular season to help rest TD or will he kept on the roster just to replace injured guys?

IMO the Spurs should try to flip him for a 1st round pick, teams around the league actually think very highly of him, we may be able to get a pretty decent 1st round pick. Maybe even include Neal if we resign Green, and let Mills take over the backup PG duties.

Darkwaters
05-20-2012, 02:12 AM
If the Spurs are able to flip him for any first round pick they should probably do it. I just don't think anyone is that stupid. His value is much lower. Remember, draft picks become more over-valued as you get closer to the draft.

Jumi
05-20-2012, 02:13 AM
He was forced to play a position that he wasn't fit for, that's on Pop. Not being a beast on the boards and developing a mid range game is his fault. Hill improved, Kawhi, Green, Neal improved so he deserves to sit! He isn't a bad player and he doesn't eat cap space so I'd keep him for the right price or flip him for the right draft pick.

therealtruth
05-20-2012, 03:34 AM
It doesn't matter how well Blair plays. He weakens overall team defense.

Sense
05-20-2012, 03:40 AM
He'll get minutes against the Thunder. Thunder don't have scoring bigs and he's played well against them this year. Bonner should be cut out of the rotation against Thunder.

This is exactly why Bonner WILL be in the rotation.

Bonner and Blair are defensive liabilities.. but the Spurs get more out of having Bonner in the floor than Blair. He'll keep their bigs outside the paint and that will give either Splitter or Duncan time to work, while still being a threat at the 3. Blair on the other hand..

bigfan
05-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Blair is a very good option when you need a tough guy out there, I know there is alot of hate for the guy for some reason and I agree hes not as good as Diaw or Splitter but Im glad we have him. I think his biggest problem is weight; take a look how much better Tim is playing since he dropped some weight.

pjjrfan
05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
I was so high on this guy, my dissappointment in him is that in 3 years he hasn't worked on his game, his strength and rebounding were his main assets when he came in and now he doesn't even rely on his strength trying to finesse everything in the paint, and his rebounding doesn't seem a priority for him. I can't understand why after last season's benching in the Grizzlies matchup he didn't get some film and look at all the areas where he can improve and work on. Blair is the classic example of a guy content in just collecting a pay check.

D-rob fan
05-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Blair has had some of his best games against the Thunder. If I remember correctly, I think he had his 28 pt 20 reb game his rookie season against them.

TDMVPDPOY
05-20-2012, 09:51 AM
blair is going to move us up in the draft....

ffadicted
05-20-2012, 10:00 AM
He'll def get burn against OKC

SenorSpur
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Count me as one who believes that Blair will get some run versus the Thunder. As for next year, I don't see Blair on the team. If the Spurs can flip him for a middle second-rounder, I'd be happy. He's at the end of a very cheap contract, but his value is really low right now. I don't believe the Spurs would be able to get much more than that.

ceperez
05-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Blair plays well against smaller front lines (like the Clippers).

He's good enough to start during the regular season.

Unfortunately, Diaw is just better.

BillMc
05-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Count me as one who believes that Blair will get some run versus the Thunder. As for next year, I don't see Blair on the team. If the Spurs can flip him for a middle second-rounder, I'd be happy. He's at the end of a very cheap contract, but his value is really low right now. I don't believe the Spurs would be able to get much more than that.

All true...and, yet, Blair has had enough double/double games (mostly in meaningless games) that I almost wonder if RC couldn't find some lazy GM or owner who only half-way does his homework, to give us more for Blair.

A call to the Bobcats is worth a try.....

Despot
05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
His value is not what he necessarily does for this team, it is what another team believes he can do for them. A team that wants him will make themselves believe they will turn him around, that he is just a bad fit for the spurs, that he was unlucky to be on such a deep team, that he didn't get time because of matchups.

I a pretty sure that he will get traded in the draft and alot of people will get be very suprised at what we get for him. Better yet if he is paired with Neal.

spursfan1000
05-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Him & Neal I would love to be shipped out for maybe a vet or a good 1st rounder

BillMc
05-20-2012, 11:16 AM
His value is not what he necessarily does for this team, it is what another team believes he can do for them. A team that wants him will make themselves believe they will turn him around, that he is just a bad fit for the spurs, that he was unlucky to be on such a deep team, that he didn't get time because of matchups.

I a pretty sure that he will get traded in the draft and alot of people will get be very suprised at what we get for him. Better yet if he is paired with Neal.

You're right. Blair would be the type of guy that could put up good numbers on a bad team, where defense doesn't matter. He could even "prove us wrong" by being a double - double machine on some lousy team that always missed the playoffs. Because of that appearence of being a real deal, someone would want him.

The only negative of getting rid of him, is he was an adequate starter to use up minutes during the meaninglessness of the regular season. There's no gurantee we'd be able to keep Boris, which means we could be stuck with Bonner or the good-but-fragile Splitter next to our 37 year old (next playoffs) centerpiece.

tesseractive
05-20-2012, 11:31 AM

If he has a lot of trade value, you're right -- I'll be surprised. Third string guys -- this includes Neal -- almost never have much trade value. The way you get trade value is the way we did it with George -- trade guys who are genuinely valuable to you, then replace them with guys other teams don't know about yet but turn out to be valuable themselves.

If it were genuinely important for us to trade for a piece, the guy who has real trade value is Tiago. If I were a GM, I would give up something valuable for Tiago. Do you know how I know he has value? Because nearly everyone reading this thread is thinking "oh shit, we can't trade Tiago!"

If there were a post player in the draft that we really liked, the complete pimp move would be to trade Tiago and Gary Neal for a draft pick and an athletic 2 that's lost on a mediocre team but that we could groom for the Manu/Harden role off the bench. Then draft a guy that's better than Tiago and bring over Lorbek besides.

The_Worlds_finest
05-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I think it's high time he started collecting the DNPs. No reason for him to get major minutes. Never was a reason. Worse defender than Bonner tbh and Diaw makes him even more expendable. Finally some sense in the rotation even if it means playing everyone but Blair and Anderson. Hopefully he and Anderson get along as they will be spending the rest of the playoffs right next to each other and rightly so.

Fuck u clown

therealtruth
05-20-2012, 01:51 PM

I don't see Pop playing him unless there's foul trouble, an injury, or blowout.

TJastal
05-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Blair? Whose this Blair you speak of?

Gagnrath
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Wait a Second we can't trade Rick Ross.

BillMc
05-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Blair? Whose this Blair you speak of?

Somesort of witch in Maryland...

MR.SILVER&BLack
05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I think Blair has more value than we all think. He was picked for team USA's select team & he averaged 10 & 6 this year as a starter. I have no doubt that blair can land an early 2nd round pick.

BackHome
05-20-2012, 03:43 PM
If the Spurs are able to flip him for any first round pick they should probably do it. I just don't think anyone is that stupid. His value is much lower. Remember, draft picks become more over-valued as you get closer to the draft.

How about we trade him for someones 2013 draft pick? I don't think we can afford to pay another one draft pick to have him play in the d-league next year.

CGD
05-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm OK with that. If he wants a future in this league, and playoff time for that matter, he needs to develop a midrange shot. If he can become a Brandon Bass-type player, that would be awesome.

admiralsnackbar
05-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm OK with that. If he wants a future in this league, and playoff time for that matter, he needs to develop a midrange shot. If he can become a Brandon Bass-type player, that would be awesome.

A reliable put-back is where he needs to start -- then he can move on to building on his skill set.

urunobili
05-20-2012, 11:58 PM
First rounder value TBH

ThePop
05-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Feel bad for the guy

DeJuan Blair ‏@DeJuan45
I kno I havent been playin but people kno wat I do 4 the team! I luv this team wonderful guys and a wonderful ORGONIZATION! Glad 2 b a spur!

davidbowie
05-21-2012, 01:36 AM
maybe it's just cause i've been following his tweets forever now but yeah i feel for him. not saying he should be starting or whatever but he is obviously a thoughtful guy that wants to succeed imo and just hoping the best for him. for whats it worth i love seeing him and patty mills getting hyped on the bench cheering the team along. props to big D BLAIR!

therealtruth
05-21-2012, 01:49 AM
maybe it's just cause i've been following his tweets forever now but yeah i feel for him. not saying he should be starting or whatever but he is obviously a thoughtful guy that wants to succeed imo and just hoping the best for him. for whats it worth i love seeing him and patty mills getting hyped on the bench cheering the team along. props to big D BLAIR!

He and Patty Mills can concentrate on their cheer leading skills. Hopefully it allows him to get over himself. Yet, I sure don't miss giving up easy baskets to the opposing power forward or weaker team defense.

_jin
05-21-2012, 04:56 AM
He seems like a nice and toughtful guy, but if he really wanted to succeed he would have improved and added other dimensions to his game, and watched his conditioning
It almost seems like he regressed compared to his rookie year