PDA

View Full Version : The Thunder are being tested while the Spurs are not

Venti Quattro
05-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Will/Does this mean anything when they face off in the WCF?

Spur_Fanatic
05-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Yeah, we'll be owned. But we still playing the Clippers.

Spurtacus
05-20-2012, 01:46 AM

I'm a little worried since we haven't really had a close competitive game in the playoffs. Game 4 at Utah was about it but both teams played like crap. I don't believe Clips will lay down Sunday night and hopefully they push us in a close game.

mavs>spurs
05-20-2012, 01:48 AM
it most certainly will. the spurs won't be used to playing this level of competition. back in high school we were in a pretty shitty district one year, and it really screwed with you once the playoffs started. it was easy to almost drop a game to an inferior team until you got up to speed.

ElNono
05-20-2012, 01:50 AM
cool narrative brosep...

that said, taking care of the teams you're supposed to take care of is part of the test... you can ask Miami and Boston about that...

Spur_Fanatic
05-20-2012, 01:50 AM
I could also go the this way and say something like:

"How were the Thunder tested exactly? Jazz/Clippers > Mavs/Lakers"

But Venti is just venting/trolling, so is cool.

BanditHiro
05-20-2012, 01:51 AM
it might go to 5 games instead of 4...

lefty
05-20-2012, 01:51 AM
Venti you forgot 1 detail: experience

Yes the Jazz and Clippers are no competition, but our players are battle tested

Moreover, we have OKC's number this season

DMC
05-20-2012, 01:52 AM
It depends. Old teams like SA (their core) don't need threats and draw out series to know how to play the game. They do well on a few days rest. They should be healthy, hopefully and that's much bigger than this perceived "challenge" advantage.

This isn't training camp, it's the 2nd round of the playoffs. Either the Spurs will win or they will not win, either way it will have nothing to do with how easy it was to get to the WCF if they get there.

Venti Quattro
05-20-2012, 01:56 AM
cool narrative brosep...

that said, taking care of the teams you're supposed to take care of is part of the test... you can ask Miami and Boston about that...

scro I'm not trolling. We've seen this before -- other-worldly teams storming to the x round of the playoffs without breaking a sweat and then getting curbstomped by a more battle-tested team who have played more games in round x.

DJ Mbenga
05-20-2012, 01:56 AM
it means nothing matchbox say spurs own the thunder. They built themselves ti best la and he spurs aren't, they're going to stretch them out Perkins will be uselless

ElNono
05-20-2012, 02:27 AM
scro I'm not trolling. We've seen this before -- other-worldly teams storming to the x round of the playoffs without breaking a sweat and then getting curbstomped by a more battle-tested team who have played more games in round x.

Sure. It also has happened that some more 'battle-tested' teams shit the bed after being up 27 with home court advantage. I think every series presents different matchups and problems, and that's why the games are played. I'm still not sold SA can beat OKC, but it's not because OKC beat Dallas or Lakers.

Sense
05-20-2012, 02:46 AM
This is what the Spurs wanted... everyone knew OKC was going to go through Dallas and the Lakers, battle tested? Maybe.. but the Spurs wanted health, and so far they got that.. they're giving the young players experience and they have thrived for the most part. The Spurs still have home-court.. anything can happen, but the Spurs are playing beautiful basketball and OKC hasn't faced anyone like the Spurs either. Dallas and the Lakers were never really contenders, they are tougher opponents.. but that's it.

flipspursfan
05-20-2012, 02:50 AM

Isn't coming back to win 24 down a test? I think Game 3 tested the Spurs more than enough. It gave them the ability to stay calm under pressure and in the process, work their way to a win. From 24 down mind you.

InTheCrust
05-20-2012, 03:38 AM
A team like the Spurs don't need to be battle-tested based solely off the merit of their familiarity of the playoff environment. They know who they are, and any other opinion would insinuate they need some sort of experience.

The Thunder on the other hand benefit from going through the Mavs/Lakers, and they need old niggas to try them to keep them in game condition and to keep them focused.

Boiled down, doesn't mean shit. In fact, it benefits both squads.

Latarian Milton
05-20-2012, 07:01 AM
face off? did you mean that http://images.starpulse.com/AMGPhotos/dvd/cov150/dru800/u882/u88228cnazy.jpg

pgardn
05-20-2012, 07:17 AM
So we got two teams that run incredibly simplistic offensive systems testing each other.

We got back your man down and shoot a fadeaway vs. shoot a jumper without one pass.

Imo this is not a test. Its an ugly individual basketball competition.

midnightpulp
05-20-2012, 07:44 AM
We matchup excellent with the Thunder, in my opinion. Since Duncan and Diaw play more of a midrange game these days, I'm not worried about Perkins and Ibaka constantly packing the paint since they'll have to stay honest if they don't want to give up open jumpers to those two all day.

Durant has been incredible and is making Artest his bitch, but I hope Jackson and Leonard, two small forwards more athletic and longer than Artest, will be able to frustrate him a bit. Durant will still get his, but hopefully they keep him under 50% shooting.

Westbrook is going to be fuckin' handful. Spurs often have problems containing quick guards, so all I want is for Parker to is stay within 5 points of Westbrook every game. If Westbrook averages 25 a game, Parker needs to average 20. Same goes for Manu vis a vis Harden. If Harden averages 17-20, Manu needs to put up 12-15 consistently. I think if the Spurs' big three can maintain around a 15 point deficit against OKC's big three, they'll be fine, since I expect the Spurs' role players to outperform their OKC counterparts by a significant margin.

I also think the predictability of OKC's offense might be their undoing, especially against the Spurs, who rarely get out of line. It was almost their undoing against the Lakers.

Xevious
05-20-2012, 08:24 AM
The Lakers could easily be up 3-1 on OKC right now if not for huge meltdowns in the fourth quarter. Blame it on Gasal/Bynum's mental fortitude (or late thereof), Kobe's chucking, whatever... they know how to beat the Thunder, they just collapse. The Spurs won't.

NRHector
05-20-2012, 09:18 AM

you're so damn right the Spurs are not being tested, not this year at least, hopefully next year the WC brings a worthy opponent to test the Spurs

ChrisRichards
05-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Spurs will run a train on OKC.

Spurs in 6 I hope.

Axe Murderer
05-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Sure. It also has happened that some more 'battle-tested' teams shit the bed after being up 27 with home court advantage. I think every series presents different matchups and problems, and that's why the games are played. I'm still not sold SA can beat OKC, but it's not because OKC beat Dallas or Lakers.

Hey ElNono! After receiving well-above average rating for iPhone and iPod, yet some concerning input. We are currently developing an update for both ALL devices.(mainly focusing on small devices)

The update will be available within the next week or two . These updates will address the difficulty in dragging junk into the playing area.

We have an all new approach to the drag feature. There will be a much larger and more sensitive area to highlight and drag by default.

Also, an additional option to highlight, point and drop function, for those not wanted to drag the junk as much! We have also added an auto-pause feature instead of having to hit the play/pause to interrupt run. Now, simply touching the screen when PeaG is in motion will pause the screen, allowing you to drag or re-position the junk!

There are more updates in the works too!! We realize the importance of dragging junk on smaller devices and will be pushing this to apple first!

Thanks for everyone that download and played PEAKOUR! This will make it much easier to play! So, come back and give it a try when available. We will let you know!

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Well, one thing's for sure: The Lakers are being "tested," and as a result they're now down in the series 1-3.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Spurs in 6 I hope.

What does your signature picture mean (5 Miami Heat logos, 1 Pacers logo, OKC, BOS, two other Pacers logos blacked out?) I can't figure it out.

Axe Murderer
05-20-2012, 09:49 AM
What does your signature picture mean (5 Miami Heat logos, 1 Pacers logo, OKC, BOS, two other Pacers logos blacked out?) I can't figure it out.

have I told you my favorite Tommy Nunez story yet?

you sound like you might want to hear it

Dr Cox
05-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I get the Parker and Westbrook scoring totals need to be similar but I don't think Manu needs to match Harden. Spurs bench just needs to score more as a group. Neal, Splitter, Jack, Manu and Bonner baby : )

DPG21920
05-20-2012, 09:53 AM

2001 Lakers

ulosturedge
05-20-2012, 10:02 AM
In my opinion the Lakers are exposing the Thunder. Making the game ugly and slowing it down is giving the Thunder problems. They rather not be stuck in the half-court game. And I think the Spurs have been tested. The Jazz have been coached to play tough and hard regardless of the situation. The Spurs were just better. The Clippers have been playing tough as well especially game 3. The Spurs weathered the storm. No pun but what you see as a the Lakers being a big test for Thunder seems more like a lack of execution on the Thunders part. Lakers have no depth, Kobe isn't the same player he once was; there whole existence relies on the combination of Bynum and Gasol.

Brazil
05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Coming back from 24 is what I call being tested. The team didn't panic at all and more important the rookies, newbies kept their cool which is a good sign.

Now what is true is that OKC is gaining a lot of experience on how to finish a game which is a big improvement vs. last year. They learned two decisive things: Harden needs to run the show in the last minutes and Durant needs the ball. To sum-up Westbrick is becoming less dumb.

Reck
05-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Venti, Spurs are already battle tested. There is no need for any test.

The Thunder haven't wont a thing so that's your only good point here. If someone needs to be tested it definately is the thunder.

The Spurs have been here many a times, for good and for bad. If they end up losing to OKC badly it wont be because they weren't "tested."

I find all of this funny, there its always some sort of excuse for Spurs losing. Can it just be a simple loss? Does it always have to have some sort of bad meaning behind it?

Oh they will lose because they haven't played in a week, they will lose because that other team is simply better, they will lose because Timmy is old..blah blah.

ElNono
05-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey ElNono! After receiving well-above average rating for iPhone and iPod, yet some concerning input. We are currently developing an update for both ALL devices.(mainly focusing on small devices)

The update will be available within the next week or two . These updates will address the difficulty in dragging junk into the playing area.

We have an all new approach to the drag feature. There will be a much larger and more sensitive area to highlight and drag by default.

Also, an additional option to highlight, point and drop function, for those not wanted to drag the junk as much! We have also added an auto-pause feature instead of having to hit the play/pause to interrupt run. Now, simply touching the screen when PeaG is in motion will pause the screen, allowing you to drag or re-position the junk!

There are more updates in the works too!! We realize the importance of dragging junk on smaller devices and will be pushing this to apple first!

Thanks for everyone that download and played PEAKOUR! This will make it much easier to play! So, come back and give it a try when available. We will let you know!

:lol

jag
05-20-2012, 11:54 AM
it most certainly will. the spurs won't be used to playing this level of competition. back in high school we were in a pretty shitty district one year, and it really screwed with you once the playoffs started. it was easy to almost drop a game to an inferior team until you got up to speed.

I know it's troll bait, but lately I've found myself skipping over many of mavs>spurs' takes. Shit reeks of menstruation, tbh

Budkin
05-20-2012, 12:07 PM
The Spurs can beat anyone with the right gameplan. Were they not "tested" during the regular season or at any point during the last several years? You think Scott Brooks or Mike Brown can outcoach Pop with a team like he has? As long as they play like they have been, I don't think anyone can beat them in a seven game series.

mavs>spurs
05-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I know it's troll bait, but lately I've found myself skipping over many of mavs>spurs' takes. Shit reeks of menstruation, tbh

it's actually not troll bait at all, it's a real life phenomenon. i didn't say that you guys don't stand a chance against them, honestly i think it will be a good one. but i'd expect you guys to lose game 1 simply because of what i mentioned. how you guys respond will be key.

JRHernandez88
05-20-2012, 12:43 PM

I think it could effect our rookies that haven't been there but we have proven veteran leadership. A good majority of our team out there are as battle tested as possible so I guess well just have to wait and see.

Goran Dragic
05-20-2012, 01:11 PM
This isn't training camp, it's the 2nd round of the playoffs. Either the Spurs will win or they will not win, either way it will have nothing to do with how easy it was to get to the WCF if they get there.
I agree with this. This site has discussed things the Spurs don't have that most other championship teams do have (elite defense as oppose to the Spurs' above average defense, a dominant offensive player who can get his shot whenever he wants, size, etc.) countless times. Either those weaknesses will prevent the Spurs from beating a team like Boston that plays elite defense or a team like OKC that has an elite scorer who can carry a team when the offense isn't clicking perfectly, or the Spurs' strengths (great shooting, great passing, great chemistry, etc.) will be enough to compensate. Them being "battle tested" doesn't seem like it'll matter imo.

pass1st
05-20-2012, 01:16 PM
OKC is pretty beatable, but you just have to play all 4 quarters instead of giving up in the third because you have the lead.

jag
05-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Playing your collective asses off in the 4th to make up for poor execution throughout the game doesn't exactly make a team "battle tested". This goes for both the Thunder and the Spurs. I believe the Spurs will execute more efficiently and more consistently than the Thunder. That's why I believe they will win the series. The rest of this talk is nonsense.

xellos88330
05-20-2012, 02:09 PM
The biggest flaw in the OKC Thunder is the lack of low post scoring. Perkins is a terrible jump shooter. Ibaka has made some strides towards becoming a threat from 15-16ft, but isn't consistent enough to really qualify as a priority threat. The Spurs just have to turn Westbrook, Harden, Durant into jump shooters, clog the lane and rebound. Aside from those guys, Cook will need to be HUGE for the Thunder to have a chance.

My only concern is to see what the defensive gameplan for the Thunder will be. What will they be giving up in order to slow the SA offense? The Spurs have weapons to counter every defensive scheme that has been thrown at them. It seems lately that the only way for the Spurs to lose, is for the Spurs to miss.

The_Worlds_finest
05-20-2012, 03:05 PM
OP I expect better out of you....I thought you were a basketball fan not a player fan....

slick'81
05-20-2012, 07:55 PM
lol lakers

urunobili
05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
24 has a point here. I still believe the Lakers would be a WAY worse match up for the Spurs anyway...

VBM
05-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Spurs got tested tonight. Played their ugliest ball in Game 4s so far

slick'81
05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
spurs test will be vs okc

Vash StampedE
05-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Maybe the "battle-tested" the OP is referring to is a situation in where the game is close/the team is trailing coming to the 4th quarter, then close game in the final minutes but with great defense ad execution, the said team is able to finish with a win. The Thunder already have been through that since their first round against the Mavs. On the other hand, the Spurs have not been put into that situation other than their game 4 against the Clippers. But we can't blame or do anything about it that the Spurs are facing a weak or test-worthy opponents. If they would have wanted to be in that kind of situation, then they should have put themselves in the 3rd vs. 6th, 4th vs. 5th seeding.

Nevertheless, it is at is it. The Spurs got into a pretty easy walk to the WCF. But I know they would be ready against whoever they face in the WCF, most probably OKC.

Spurs9
05-21-2012, 09:52 PM
The Spurs have been battle tested since the big 3 have been together for 10 years. Just because we swept doesn't mean we weren't tested, the spurs are just that good this year.

Vash StampedE
05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
The Spurs have been battle tested since the big 3 have been together for 10 years. Just because we swept doesn't mean we weren't tested, the spurs are just that good this year.
The Big 3 will be there for sure. They won't shy out of any challenge. But the question is if the supporting cast would step up when put into those clutch defining situations (which I know the team would have to face during the WCF). Hopefully, they won't choke and make love to pressure.:toast

Venti Quattro
05-27-2012, 11:51 PM
didn't matter. :lol

lefty
05-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Eh

spursfan1000
05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Thunder are just a warmup for the finals tbh

lefty
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Thunder are just a warmup for the finals tbh
Heat are battle tested while Spurs are not

spursfan1000
05-29-2012, 09:16 PM

LkrFan
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
What a shitty pre-ejac thread. :lmao

Reck
05-29-2012, 10:45 PM
What a shitty pre-ejac thread. :lmao

Venti seriously shitting the bed. That's 2 failed threads in a few days. :lol

NRHector
05-29-2012, 11:17 PM
the thunder weren't being tested they played a shitty Mavs team and a old Lakers team, now they are being tested against a real contender

tesseractive
05-29-2012, 11:20 PM

True. :depressed

Stalin
05-29-2012, 11:40 PM

Co sign

Venti Quattro
05-29-2012, 11:45 PM
haha faggot LkrFan trying to dig dirt on me. No you ain't finding dirt because I tried to get an opinion. :nope

LkrFan
05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
haha faggot LkrFan trying to dig dirt on me. No you ain't finding dirt because I tried to get an opinion. :nope

Spur_Fanatic
05-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Venti just jinxing the Thunder. He loves to jinx around.

Kidd K
05-30-2012, 02:10 AM
I know it's a bit too late to comment on this thread, but the whole tested thing didn't matter because SA already had playoff experience. OKC needed it a lot more, and it will help them in the years to come. Just not now since SA is playing significantly better atm.

Spurs in 6 I hope.

I don't like your sig, it's deceptive. LeBron started at 19, Jordan at 22. Comparing them at "certain ages" is dumb. . .compare on seasons played. LeBron is in 9th season. Jordan had 3 titles by his 9th season.

I also don't agree in "6". . .Spurs in 5 imo. Spurs taking game 4 at least, if not game 3 depending on how badly refs try to give it to OKC.

Venti Quattro
05-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Venti seriously shitting the bed. That's 2 failed threads in a few days. :lol

I am shitting the bed where? I didn't make a proclamation.

Venti Quattro
06-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Lol, so I guess it matters. :lmao

icem
06-05-2012, 12:56 AM
good thread tbh

ElNono
06-05-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm still not sold SA can beat OKC, but it's not because OKC beat Dallas or Lakers.

:hat

LkrFan
06-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Lol, so I guess it matters. :lmao

:lmao

ChrisRichards
06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Venti Quattro with the goods.

LkrFan
06-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Venti Quattro with the goods.

This. :lol

DJ Mbenga
06-05-2012, 01:11 AM
the nigga with the well timed bump

midnightpulp
06-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Don't get the bump, to be quite honest. The Spurs not being "tested" at the time Venti made this thread had nothing to do with the Spurs losing 3 straight in this series. It's not as if VQ's proclamation turned out to be prophetic in some way.

Thunder are just a better team right now. Parker can't figure out their defense. The Spurs' once imposing depth has disappeared. OKC is younger, more athletic, and has far-and-away the best player in this series.

I'm still highly pissed at Popovich for playing Gary Neal that many minutes, but rather than play the "would've, could've, should've" game, I'm just going to credit the Thunder for being a damn good team.

Venti Quattro
06-06-2012, 10:47 PM
:lmao it mattered
:lmao backdoor swept
:lmao couldn't adjust when push came to shove

LkrFan
06-06-2012, 10:56 PM
:lmao it mattered
:lmao backdoor swept
:lmao couldn't adjust when push came to shove

:rollin

Reck
06-06-2012, 11:15 PM
lol look at him bumping a thread he made even before the series started. :lmao

KDtrey5
06-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Better luck next year 20 win streak=0 rings LOL

Reck
06-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Better luck next year 20 win streak=0 rings LOL

Yeah this post makes so much sense. :rolleyes

lefty
09-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Venti was right :cry

TE
09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
imagine the spurs ring as regular season champs once more only then to have to face the winner between lal-okc in the wcf

:cry

Venti Quattro
09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
WTF is this schtick lefty? Why are you digging out threads from the grave again?

lefty
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Bored

AussieFanKurt
09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Bored

Really?

lefty
09-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Really?

Yes !

Blame baseball TBH