PDA

View Full Version : Why is Parker so worthless in the pick and roll?

ballhog
06-22-2005, 10:48 PM
*'ve seen them do it many times (TP & Timmy), execute a pick and roll with Parker either running into traffic, throwing it away or getting wailed on. How about a bounce pass to Duncan or allley oop or anything besides that crap?

TMSKILZ
06-22-2005, 10:54 PM
DET has been playing it so well, give credit where credit is due. TP also has been hestitant to drive @ times, instead dribbling way too much behind the 3pt play instead of attacking. He's thinking too much.

We'll be alright in Game 7, we'll win. This team has a lot of corazon too, not just DET!

gospursgojas
06-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Parker is still young

Phenomanul
06-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Hubie "Parker is looking to score first"

Parker is a ballhog...

MannyIsGod
06-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Hubie "Parker is looking to score first"

Parker is a ballhog...
Do you realize how stupid it sounds everytime one of you says this? Popovich is an insane control freak when it comes to the way his offense is run, and you think that Parker would get away with doing anything out of the offense without getting his ass riped then benched?

Give me a break.

The fact is that making that bounce pass isn't easy. We see what happens half the time when they try it: a turnover. Parker is always going to be a much better scorer of the ball than a passer. Thats what you have at the point guard spot so Spurs fans might as well start getting used to it instead of continuously spouting off. Not only that, but take into consideration that the Spurs are playing the best defense in the leauge who has scouted them to death.

And as for an alley oop, you may want to remember who you have at the 4. Duncan is not an athletic leaper, and you can forget about him playing that far above the rim.

ducks
06-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Alley Oops Are Hard To Do When Your Ankles Are 80%

Tom_Foolery
06-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Parker is going "under" the screen on Pick & Rolls in fear of Chauncy driving to the basket.

Duncan has been slow on Pick & Roll and it's probably because of his ankles.

I see lack of coaching in this area. Pop should be having Parker follow through the screens and not play off of Chauncy. Then someone needs to slide infront of Chauncy to draw a charge or trap him.

You would think Pop was smart enough to change the gameplan, but Pop is known to "force issues" and Pop doesn't like changing gameplans or making adjustments, which is why Pop doesn't have as good of a Playoffs record as he should have.

There are 2 things I really don't like about Pop: his inability to make adjustments during the course of the game and his lack of ability to mentally strengthen his team. The Spurs are the most mentally fragile team in the NBA, which is why Detroit is about to defy the history books tomorrow.

Everybody sees it. Everybody knows the Spurs fold in close situations. They just are easily discouraged and alot of it starts with Tim Duncan and his FTs. If Duncan starts choking like he always does at the line, the Spurs are done. It took one of the single-handed greatest performances by a player in Playoff history to beat Detroit by 1pt.

Sorry, but if Duncan starts choking at the line, Duncan gets discouraged at himself and his entire game, especially defensively, just falls apart.

SpursChampsIII
06-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Parker is playing HORRIBLE defense. He pretty much collapsed in the final games of the 2003 playoffs, and last year against the Fakers. I'm not buying this shit about him being too young anymore. Everybody on this board knows he can play much better. He needs focus and intensity, as do many of the other starters right now.

Tom_Foolery
06-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Parker is playing HORRIBLE defense. He pretty much collapsed in the final games of the 2003 playoffs, and last year against the Fakers. I'm not buying this shit about him being too young anymore. Everybody on this board knows he can play much better. He needs focus and intensity, as do many of the other starters right now.

Thank you. Glad someone has the balls to "tell it like it is".

AI-square
06-23-2005, 02:07 AM
That's why they need to let Manu handle the ball at crunch time. Make no mistake, he messed up in Game 6, but even Michael Jordan missed clutch shots.

I think this game will be won mentally, and Chauncey Billups will be hard to match when the game is on the line. I believe Detroit will be happy to let Duncan shoot free throws at that point.

I think 80% of the team's offense should go through Duncan, especially the first 3 quarters. But in the 4th, the Spurs may be better off letting him go for the boards instead. If Duncan can dominate the boards the Spurs will have a good chance.

In the 4th, the offense should be about making good decisions and taking high percentage shots. Throwing up 3-pointers at will is unlikely to do the business. Detroit will be ready for Duncan in the paint, so I think it's up to the likes of Horry, Parker and Manu to contribute offensively.