PDA

View Full Version : abdominal strain vs. fractured hand

traitoravery
05-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Im not a doctor so maybe someone can enlighten me. Caron Butler is playing with a fractured hand and Chris Bosh is out indefinitely with an abdominal strain?

ffadicted
05-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Mad respect to butler, bosh is a pussy

Venti Quattro
05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
A fractured hand probably more playable than an abdominal strain because you really cannot run and twist if you have an abdominal strain. Then again, Kobe :cry fucking warrior :cry Bryant played through a strained back a few playoff series back. That also controls much of a player's movement.

I wouldn't blame Bosh for sitting out though. He looked like he was going to die writhing in pain.

JamStone
05-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm not a doctor either but it makes sense to me.

With a fractured hand, you know what it is. You know the pain threshold you have with it. You know what you have to do to avoid re-injuring or re-aggravating it.

But with an abdominal strain, it's one of those injuries where you don't know when it's healed enough. You don't know what little movement, one slight turn, could possibly re-injure it. And Shaq said on TNT after the injury, you could feel fine, play with it, go up for a rebound or dunk, and end up tearing it. It's just one of those odd injuries where it's hard to determine if it's strong enough and healed enough to play again and it's hard to avoid re-injuring it. It's like a lingering back injury or groin injury. The slightest movement might really make it worse even if you feel okay.

fevertrees
05-20-2012, 11:16 AM
I work a minimum wage job through broken bones, sprains, etc so these "athlete" p*ssies who make millions should be able to DEAL WITH IT.

ElNono
05-20-2012, 11:50 AM
sup BR

ffadicted
05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Bosh is a pussy

Agreed

HarlemHeat37
05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
:lol Jamstone summed it up well..

An abdominal strain is too unpredictable to play through, and you can probably imagine the pain that would occur by re-aggravating it..

Venti Quattro
05-20-2012, 12:11 PM
sup BR

:lol BRtrees

Shastafarian
05-20-2012, 12:15 PM
It's based on the difference in stability between soft tissue (muscle) and bone. If a fracture is simple enough to stabilize, it should be fine as long as the stabilization holds. There will be pain obviously but with soft tissue it's harder to stabilize due to the dynamics. I believe along with intercostal aka rib muscles, abdominal muscles have a role in breathing. So that would add to the discomfort.

That being said yes, Bosh is a pussy.

mavs>spurs
05-20-2012, 12:23 PM
sometimes the strangest injuries can cause the most pain and trouble. bosh may be a pussy, but i'm not so sure i'd call him one because of this. someone pointed out the fact that you can't twist or turn or move with an abdominal injury. if it's anything similar to a rib injury, then this is totally true. i once fractured just a single rib and it was the most painful experience of my life.

DMC
05-20-2012, 12:36 PM
You can't even get out of bed sometimes with an abdominal strain. The health of your lower back and abs dictates a huge percentage of your overall fitness as that's the center of your movement.

As a doctor, I would know.

pass1st
05-20-2012, 01:22 PM
You can play with a fractured hand if it's wrapped up well and the fracture isn't severe. Your shooting and handles will be affected and you run a risk of injuring it again, but it's playable.

Abdominal injuries are harder to deal with because you don't know for sure what movements are safe and what movements will stress the injury. In basketball you use your ab muscles a lot, extending your body for rebounding, twisting and turning in the paint, etc. It's very easy to mess yourself up a lot worse and be out for the entire playoffs if you played on it.

Latarian Milton
05-20-2012, 06:28 PM
the toughest part of abdominal injury is you are living like an eunuch until shit is 100% cured, during the period you can't even masturbate :cry

pass1st
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
the toughest part of abdominal injury is you are living like an eunuch until shit is 100% cured, during the period you can't even masturbate :cry

Something tells me that's not Bosh's cup of tea
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fyfB_bEJ5ro/TbhVdxk3BWI/AAAAAAAAAB4/oGPiyfiBQbI/s1600/chrisbosh1.jpg