PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard Playoff Performer.

xellos88330
05-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I couldn't sleep at all last night and I got to watching some of last years playoff games against the Grizzlies. (Yes I still have them) My god RJ was invisible. So it got me to realizing just how god damned valuable Leonard has been to the Spurs this season. This kid is something else. I decided to put together a few stats moments ago courtesy of www.basketball-reference.com to make a comparison between RJ and Leonard in their total playoff time here in good 'ol SA. Here is just a few. I advise you actually check yourself because it is ridiculous.

RJ (through 16 playoff games) 510 Minutes played

46-101 FG
7-23 3FG
78 TRB
23 AST
9 STL
9 BLK

133 Total Points
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leonard (Through 7 Playoff games) 171 Minutes played.

22-42 FG
10-20 3FG
34 TRB
4 AST
11 STL
3 BLK

63 Total Points

I was a complete RJ supporter when he was with the Spurs and even started a thread complimenting his performance before he was shipped out earlier this season. (I can't help it... I root for every Spur) I was iffy about Leonard and the "potential" this kid had because well... he was a rookie. Leonard has brought to my attention that he ain't no fuckin' rookie. This kid has been unbelievable for the Spurs. Most of the above stats for RJ were in the 10 games in the 09-10 playoff campaign. Here are RJ's playoff totals for last season.

RJ (6 playoff games)

176 Minutes played

12-31 FG
6-17 3FG
25 TRB
5 AST
3 STL
3 BLK

39 Total Points

The difference in the two players is ridiculous. Hopefully the Spurs will continue the development of Leonard because this kid is proving he can handle it and more. How Leonard seemingly has taken the NBA game in stride and yet still be so young is remarkable. I remember being nervous after hearing that Hill had been traded for someone who only had limited college ball experience. Now I am nervous for a different reason. Are we witnessing a star being born?

Discuss...

Despot
05-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Pop hates rookies and has shown he will never give them playing time.

ffadicted
05-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Leonard's efforts on the glass is what impresses me most imo... I love this kid

CGD
05-20-2012, 11:35 AM
He's been amazing for us. I can't think of a player in the past 5 years that has had this much of an impact of his team during his rookie campaign.

I'm excited to see what a full training camp and non-condensed season play can do for his development. Offensively, I think the next step is for him to develop that midrange game now that teams have to respect his 3 point shooting. Defensively, he needs to work with Bruce to learn the tricks of the trade.

BillMc
05-20-2012, 11:40 AM
And he did it all without a real training camp.... Amazing!

xellos88330
05-20-2012, 11:50 AM
He's been amazing for us. I can't think of a player in the past 5 years that has had this much of an impact of his team during his rookie campaign.

I'm excited to see what a full training camp and non-condensed season play can do for his development. Offensively, I think the next step is for him to develop that midrange game now that teams have to respect his 3 point shooting. Defensively, he needs to work with Bruce to learn the tricks of the trade.

He has shown the ability to knock down the mid range shot off the dribble a few times this season. It doesn't look like he is quite comfortable with it yet though. That is his offensive priority for next season. As far as defensively, I don't really want him to be like Bowen. I want him to be like Leonard, the next great defensive ace. No disrespect to Bruce, but this guy could be on a different level just by considering the physical tools he has.

JRHernandez88
05-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes, I believe we are seeing a star rise before our very eyes. This kids attitude is what impresses me the most. You can tell that he lives for basketball. For only being 20 years old he still has a lot to improve and you can tell he's the type thats always going to be trying to progress and become better. His effort on BOTH sides of the ball is what sets him apart from the rest. Many can score in this league but it takes a certain character to also focus on stopping the NBA's greatest scorers. Thats whats going to make him great. I'm all in with this rookie! Excellent trade POP!!!!!

superbigtime
05-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Absolute stud. I love watching Kawhi play. He is clutch in every way defensively, offensively, and at the line and makes very few rookie mistakes. Good passer and ball handler. I love how he is stoic and emotionless, I would say even more than Tim. I don't think any rookie is as impressive. More tools than Bruce. He is integral to Spurs' success this season.

eric365
05-20-2012, 01:34 PM
He has not yet played against great SF so far in the playoff. Next round against Durant and maybe Finals against Lebron or Paul Pierce will be really interresting

I'll not be surprised if he become an all star in a few years along with all nba defense selection

AztecSpur
05-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I couldn't sleep at all last night...

I know, it's going to be a bummer when it ends. Here in San Diego the Padres suck so bad this year all we have is to follow KL.

therealtruth
05-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I think the key difference with KL is that he is able to contribute even without scoring unlike RJ. Then any scoring he provides is gravy. I bet our record when he scores 15+ is probably really good.

will_spurs
05-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm a really big fan of KL. Actually I'll go as far as to say that when all is said and done, he'll have the best NBA career in his whole draft class.

Spur|n|Austin
05-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm a really big fan of KL. Actually I'll go as far as to say that when all is said and done, he'll have the best NBA career in his whole draft class.

I'd have to agree with you on that, it's not that far out or unbelievable either. Me and my girlfriend have both been rockin the KL jerseys this season, the guy's a stud and the perfect Spur.

Jimcs50
05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Van Gundy went out of his way to say "I love Kawhi Leonard"

Never heard his say he loves RJ.

DAF86
05-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Never heard his say he loves RJ.

'Cause that could have started some malicious rumors.

jason1301
05-20-2012, 06:30 PM
RJ (through 16 playoff games) 510 Minutes played

46-101 FG
7-23 3FG
78 TRB
23 AST
9 STL
9 BLK

133 Total Points
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leonard (Through 7 Playoff games) 171 Minutes played.

22-42 FG
10-20 3FG
34 TRB
4 AST
11 STL
3 BLK

63 Total Points

Good Job pal (:!!

RJ vs Leonard
----------------------
Pts/min .260 .368 that's more than 40% up!
BLK/min .0176 .0175 pretty even
STL/min .001 .064 640% up :)
AST/min .045 .023 makes sense, diaw has been fantstic for us.
TRB/min .152 .198 over 30% up!

Yeap he dominates in pretty much every relevant category, let's not mention his defense. This guy is a stud :)

TDMVPDPOY
05-20-2012, 06:43 PM
how about comparing him to green, with +/- on the court etc for the playoffs....

PublicOption
05-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I know, it's going to be a bummer when it ends. Here in San Diego the Padres suck so bad this year all we have is to follow KL.

you what I find interesting is KL is from Riverside and went to SDSU and my daughter is from San Diego and is going to UCR.....weird huh?