PDA

View Full Version : Will Pop Covertly Throw Game 4?

timvp
05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
It sounds crazy but my Pop decoder ring is telling me that Pop would be happiest with a loss tonight. To make it happen, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the bench more than usual -- and maybe even some first half DeJuan Blair action. Why wouldn't Pop go all out for the sweep?

1. The joke among the coaching staff is that Pop is never more miserable than during a winning streak. With the Spurs on one of their most impressive winning streaks in franchise history, Pop is probably binge drinking after games to cope. In Pop's mind, a loss will stop the distracting questions about the streak and will allow the team to focus at the task at hand: winning a championship.

2. Since this current iteration of the Spurs hasn't had to deal with bouncing back from a loss, in Pop's mind it's probably better to learn how to do that now than against a team that could legitimately defeat the Spurs in a series (like the Thunder).

3. The soonest the Western Conference Finals can start is next weekend. I Pop's mind, a loss tonight probably isn't that big of a deal since the Spurs will play Game 5 in San Antonio on Tuesday. If they take care of Game 5, the Spurs would still have plenty of rest before the start of the WCF.

4. Tonight is a back-to-back after a playoff win that took a lot of energy. In Pop's mind, that could be the perfect excuse to play the bench players a lot more minutes than usual.

5. Tonight's game will be played directly after a hockey game. Last night, Game 4 between the Thunder and Lakers took place under the same circumstances. If you watched that game, you would have noticed players slipping on the floor more than usual. So not only would Pop have the back-to-back excuse, he'd have the "I don't want to risk my best players on a slippery floor" excuse.

6. Joey Crawford is reffing the game. If Pop is looking for reasons to not go all out, Crawford's presence could come into play. "Even if it's a close game, is Joey going to go out of his way to call a fair game down the stretch?," Pop's mind may ask itself.

There are two reasons why I think the Spurs may indeed win this game and sweep the Clippers:

1. As much as Pop may agree with the above points, his paranoia about injuries may overshadow any other thoughts in his mind. Pop may think no matter what, it's best to avoid having the Spurs to play 48 more minutes on Tuesday.

2. The Spurs are just too damn good.

BatManu20
05-20-2012, 03:40 PM
No. Finish them off tonight so we can rest before we battle OKC

Mugen
05-20-2012, 03:41 PM
With the way the Clippers lost yesterday and how defeated they looked afterwards, I think it'd be pretty difficult for Pop to find a way to tank this game.

HeroSquad
05-20-2012, 03:44 PM
You have to admit that the Spurs are on another metaphysical plane when it comes to their mental approach to the game. It's almost as if they've achieved basketball nirvana. I may sound like a blindly optimistic homer, but I can't see anything rattling the Spurs' psyche; if they lose, it's because they likely got outplayed--it won't be because they failed to execute their gameplan.

Personally, I'd like to see Pop wrap up the series tonight. Ideally, it would feature a heavy dose of the bench, especially Tiago, but ultimately the win has to come first. If the Clippers jump all over the Spurs in the first quarter like they did in Game 3, does Pop pack it up? It's more likely today than it was yesterday. It'll be interesting to see what he has in store.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
4. Tonight is a back-to-back after a playoff win that took a lot of energy. In Pop's mind, that could be the perfect excuse to play the bench players a lot more minutes than usual.

This is the biggest reason to me. It's a legitimate built-in excuse, especially if the Spurs get down early.

Then again, if the Clippers completely roll over, he may not need the excuse.

Robz4000
05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
All valid points. However, in regards to #5, the Kings didn't play at all Saturday. In fact, they played Friday night, which should've made the floor as bad for the Spurs Saturday. I'd like to see Pop play the bench a bit more too, but strictly to see who may be deserving of more minutes. Blair's had strong games against the likes of the Clippers and OKC, Mills may be a better option at backup PG at this point, and maybe Anderson's athleticism would help negate the Clippers'/OKC's advantage in that department.

timtonymanu
05-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree with timvp and was wondering the same thing.

It's better for the Spurs to get a loss out of the way and take pressure off the winning streak before they face OKC, who is really likely to steal Game 1 or Game 2 from them.

IMO, I think Pop plays everyone tonight, but manages minutes. If the Spurs somehow go down by double digits again, Pop will throw in the towel.

Marcus Bryant
05-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I think it depends on how the game goes. Had the Clippers maintained a 20 pt lead through the middle of the 3rd last night I could have seen Pop throw in the towel early.

A playoff win is a playoff win - secure the series win as soon as you can.

I could see Pop managing minutes with the Big 3 to keep them relatively fresh in the 2nd half....still, there's something to be said for coming out strong tonight at the start of the game and putting them away early.

vander
05-20-2012, 03:49 PM
because of Joey Crawford :lmao that would be so awesome, especially if he admits it in the post game interview

TampaDude
05-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Bullshit. The Spurs are going 16-0 in the playoffs this year. :hat

timvp
05-20-2012, 03:53 PM
All valid points. However, in regards to #5, the Kings didn't play at all Saturday. In fact, they played Friday night, which should've made the floor as bad for the Spurs Saturday. I'd like to see Pop play the bench a bit more too, but strictly to see who may be deserving of more minutes. Blair's had strong games against the likes of the Clippers and OKC, Mills may be a better option at backup PG at this point, and maybe Anderson's athleticism would help negate the Clippers'/OKC's advantage in that department.

Good point. Apparently my NHL takes need some work. :lol

After Russell Westbrook slipped and hurt his hip, every sports commentator was blaming the ice. I guess they forgot to mention the Spurs/Clippers also played under the same circumstances.

Apologies.

DJB
05-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Hell no. I didn't pay $280 to go to a game tonight where the Spurs tank.

No tanking in playoffs.:nope

Marcus Bryant
05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I think Pop would love to give Blair and Mills extended minutes tonight, either way.

I am sure some of the Clipper players have the pride and heart to go out and avoid the sweep, but if they get down early I think they will fold quickly.

Libri
05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
I think Pop might use the bench a little bit more but I don't believe it's for the purpose of throwing the game.

SA210
05-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Pop would be stupid to play that stupid tanking crap in the playoffs. This is the season that you play to win every game and stop messin around. Any extension of a series could be detrimental to the team, more games means more wear and tear, more confidence in the other team to drag it out by one or two more wins, etc. the who know what could happen.

Stupid, stupid, stupid if he ever thought about doing that.

Spursmania
05-20-2012, 04:20 PM
You never never throw a playoff game.

Let's watch the Spurs make more History.:tu

Keepin' it real
05-20-2012, 04:21 PM
... this current iteration of the Spurs hasn't had to deal with bouncing back from a loss ...

This could be a bigger deal than a lot of ST'ers even realize. Unless the Spurs go 16-0, they're gonna have to bounce back from a loss at some point. The longer it takes for them to suffer a loss, the worse it might be for them psychologically, given how long it's been since they lost a game. A Game 4 loss tonight followed by a win in Game 5 would be ideal.

Another point is that the Spurs have not faced a lot of 4th-quarter adversity. The closest the Spurs have come to late-game adversity was the 4th quarter of Game 4 vs. Utah, and we all remember how poorly the Spurs played in that situation.

I expect that the WCF will feature a lot of close games, so if nothing else, I hope Game 4 tonight comes down to the wire, especially so the younger fellas can get a taste of playoff pressure in crunch time.

will_spurs
05-20-2012, 04:26 PM
The bench could actually be more than enough to finish off the Clippers.

And 16-0 would look damn nice.

capek
05-20-2012, 04:28 PM
I totally disagree with this premise.

1) It's not that Pop doesn't like being on a win streak. It's that he doesn't give a fuck. Post game interviewer: "Pop, can you talk about how it's been to be on such a long, spectacular win streak?" Pop: "No." ie "I don't give a fuck.

2) The Spurs need lesson in bouncing back from a loss? Really?! This squad has by FAR the most experience of any team in the playoffs. They don't need to be taught squat. Also, whenever Pop is asked questions about how he imparts wisdom, or lessons he teaches his players, he always responds by saying his players are grown men, are professionals, and that it'd be stupid of him to try to teach them anything. I don't think there's a chance in hell that Pop is even thinking about teaching his players how to bounce back from a loss. Utter crap tbh

3) That's crap. You close out the team when you have a chance.

4) That's crap. It's the playoffs. You go for the win.

5) That's crap. It was only Westbrook that was slipping around. No other player did at all. I think it was just an issue with his shoes.

6) FJC

In summation, fuck throwing the game. The Spurs will win tonight. Book it! :ihit

spursfanincolorado
05-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Pop would be stupid to play that stupid tanking crap in the playoffs. This is the season that you play to win every game and stop messin around. Any extension of a series could be detrimental to the team, more games means more wear and tear, more confidence in the other team to drag it out by one or two more wins, etc. the who know what could happen.

Stupid, stupid, stupid if he ever thought about doing that.

I agree, with a potential injury to anyone of the core, this sounds kinda dumb..

I realize that injuries can happen anytime: during game or getting out of the shower, etc.

I say you send a statement to the league that Spurs are dominating...

Better bring your A game -

fuck your tank game clown

CGD
05-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Maybe if the Thunder had lost yesterday, but not when they can close out the Laker tomorrow.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Playoffs are a different beast. There's no moral victories, no good losses. At most I would think that he'd have a number in mind for half time, where if the Spurs were trailing by x or more he'd tell the starters to take a seat, but after the last game?

Also I think the Clippers supporting cast won't show up to play. Hearts were ripped out yesterday. Time to take the liver, kidneys, and anything else that you can sell on the organ black market and head home.

timvp
05-20-2012, 04:51 PM
1) It's not that Pop doesn't like being on a win streak. It's that he doesn't give a fuck. Post game interviewer: "Pop, can you talk about how it's been to be on such a long, spectacular win streak?" Pop: "No." ie "I don't give a fuck.

Coaches torture themselves over success, and Gregg Popovich has been lately. He’s been wondering out loud among his staff that, well, wouldn’t it be better to lose a game?

“That’s why,” one of his assistants kidded him, “you are coach of the year.”

Popovich wasn’t laughing. He’s felt the winning streak has become a burden

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/05/08/sweep-with-a-stumble-popovich%E2%80%99s-dream-night/

5) That's crap. It was only Westbrook that was slipping around. No other player did at all. I think it was just an issue with his shoes.

kapT-Xs5KAo

Steve-O-Matic
05-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Gregg Popovich would never throw a playoff game. Never.

HeroSquad
05-20-2012, 05:07 PM
kapT-Xs5KAo

That's just Kobe footwork

8FOR!3
05-20-2012, 05:11 PM
You don't tank in the playoffs period.

DMC
05-20-2012, 05:22 PM
They can deal with loss in the next round. If the winning streak is a burden, then you have your hurdle to cross on that one, Pop. You don't need a loss to create a bridge back to reality.

Be careful about trying to over manipulate the team's psyche.

Bruno
05-20-2012, 05:27 PM
5. Tonight's game will be played directly after a hockey game. Last night, Game 4 between the Thunder and Lakers took place under the same circumstances.

Are you sure?
The game just before Lakers/Thunder game 4 was Clippers/Spurs game 3.

Bruno
05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Regarding tonight game, I don't think Pop should throw for the simple reason that you never know and a win in game 5 isn't guaranteed. Saying that Pop should use more his bench than yesterday. It's especially true at the center spot where Duncan minutes should be lower than yesterday. Hopefully, Splitter won't suck. If Spurs are done bu a lot in the secodn half, Pop should gave up quickly, rest his players and start thinking at game 5.

Budkin
05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
No way. You know Pop always instills in his players "the appropriate fear." It's over tonight.

ducks
05-20-2012, 05:37 PM
hopefully the big three will come out set the tone get up 10 -15 quick and then be able to play the bench alot

icango
05-20-2012, 05:38 PM
if you can close out a game 4 then thats the plan. let pop deal with the win streak comments.

BillMc
05-20-2012, 05:40 PM
No. Pop will not!

ManuTastic
05-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Although I don't think he will, because it's best not to, it would be kind of bad ass of Pop to tank a playoff game.
I mean, has ANYONE ever done that before? If he does it and it works, he'll have a bit more interesting plaque in the Hall of Fame.

(Don't do it Pop.)

Darkwaters
05-20-2012, 05:42 PM
With the way the Clippers lost yesterday and how defeated they looked afterwards, I think it'd be pretty difficult for Pop to find a way to tank this game.

Thats a pretty big dose of Cory Joseph.

Darkwaters
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Hell no. I didn't pay $280 to go to a game tonight where the Spurs tank.

No tanking in playoffs.:nope

Suck for Luck!

The_Worlds_finest
05-20-2012, 05:45 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001886401/4158954845_finishhim_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

TimmehC
05-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Timmy played 38 minutes yesterday. That might be reason enough to limit his minutes tonight.

Darkwaters
05-20-2012, 05:49 PM
hopefully the big three will come out set the tone get up 10 -15 quick and then be able to play the bench alot

I don't know. Apparently when we have them up by 24 we have them right where we want them.

VNQBKFmrllo

TampaDude
05-20-2012, 05:51 PM
After the way they lost yesterday, I don't think the Clippers have anything left in the tank. They are beaten.

Sweep.

Jimcs50
05-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Had Lakers won last night, then I would have thought it a good idea to rest TD, because Spurs could have closed it out on Tuesday and still get days off waiting for Thunder to finish. But now, I do not want Thunder to finish up Monday and get 3 days off whele Sa is finishing up. I want SA to get 3 days off.

timvp
05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
For the record, I'd personally go for the win. Injuries are my biggest concern and the less games the Spurs play the better.

But this is like the perfect storm for Pop to limit minutes in a playoff game even if it doesn't put the Spurs in the best opportunity to win.

pgardn
05-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Totally disagree with the premise of using a purposeful loss to see how we bounce back from a loss.

imo this makes no sense whatsoever.

-21-
05-20-2012, 05:59 PM
It sounds crazy but my Pop decoder ring is telling me that Pop would be happiest with a loss tonight. To make it happen, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the bench more than usual -- and maybe even some first half DeJuan Blair action. Why wouldn't Pop go all out for the sweep?

1. The joke among the coaching staff is that Pop is never more miserable than during a winning streak. With the Spurs on one of their most impressive winning streaks in franchise history, Pop is probably binge drinking after games to cope. In Pop's mind, a loss will stop the distracting questions about the streak and will allow the team to focus at the task at hand: winning a championship.

2. Since this current iteration of the Spurs hasn't had to deal with bouncing back from a loss, in Pop's mind it's probably better to learn how to do that now than against a team that could legitimately defeat the Spurs in a series (like the Thunder).

3. The soonest the Western Conference Finals can start is next weekend. I Pop's mind, a loss tonight probably isn't that big of a deal since the Spurs will play Game 5 in San Antonio on Tuesday. If they take care of Game 5, the Spurs would still have plenty of rest before the start of the WCF.

5. Tonight's game will be played directly after a hockey game. Last night, Game 4 between the Thunder and Lakers took place under the same circumstances. If you watched that game, you would have noticed players slipping on the floor more than usual. So not only would Pop have the back-to-back excuse, he'd have the "I don't want to risk my best players on a slippery floor" excuse.

6. Joey Crawford is reffing the game. If Pop is looking for reasons to not go all out, Crawford's presence could come into play. "Even if it's a close game, is Joey going to go out of his way to call a fair game down the stretch?," Pop's mind may ask itself.

There are two reasons why I think the Spurs may indeed win this game and sweep the Clippers:

1. As much as Pop may agree with the above points, his paranoia about injuries may overshadow any other thoughts in his mind. Pop may think no matter what, it's best to avoid having the Spurs to play 48 more minutes on Tuesday.

All good reasons but it's gonna be difficult to lose because of our depth. We're just too damn good!!! Unless he plays a lot of Cory Joseph, James Anderson, and Derrick Byars...

Jimcs50
05-20-2012, 06:03 PM
No way. You know Pop always instills in his players "the appropriate fear." It's over tonight.

The Spurs are going to go Aladeen motherfucker.

roycrikside
05-20-2012, 06:12 PM
I generally agree with your premise, L.J., but I'm not sure how "covert" it'd be for all the reasons you stated. If they lose, it won't be with the big three playing all out.

I think Pop will be going for the win, but in regular season terms. I predict Tim and Manu will be on a strict 24-26 minute limit and Tony will be at 28-30.

If we're to sweep then the bench will have to rise to the occasion. So far it'd be extremely charitable to say they haven't pulled their weight. More like they've done more harm than good, as Splitter, Bonner, Jackson and Neal are all huge minuses this series. Time for them to sink or swim.

Hopefully the Clippers are just demoralized (and exhausted) enough where we'll get it done.

DAF86
05-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I think he will definitely play the bench more minutes.

DDS4
05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Let's just say that if the Spurs are down 24 again, the big 3 will sit this one out this time.

It would be interesting if Pop had the big 3 with DNPs. Stern's head would explode.

TD 21
05-20-2012, 06:20 PM
I generally agree with your premise, L.J., but I'm not sure how "covert" it'd be for all the reasons you stated. If they lose, it won't be with the big three playing all out.

I think Pop will be going for the win, but in regular season terms. I predict Tim and Manu will be on a strict 24-26 minute limit and Tony will be at 28-30.

If we're to sweep then the bench will have to rise to the occasion. So far it'd be extremely charitable to say they haven't pulled their weight. More like they've done more harm than good, as Splitter, Bonner, Jackson and Neal are all huge minuses this series. Time for them to sink or swim.

Hopefully the Clippers are just demoralized (and exhausted) enough where we'll get it done.

Why would he do that when, if they win, they don't play again until next weekend at the earliest? I suspect he'll be going all out for the kill. All of these pseudo problems are just that; he's not stupid enough to intentionally throw a playoff game. Not when he knows how quickly things can change. Play an unnecessary game five and maybe a key player succumbs to injury, or maybe the Clippers flat out pull off a minor miracle. You don't leave anything to chance in the playoffs.

I'm sure he'll attempt to buy Duncan a few more minutes of rest, but Ginobili still isn't playing all that much, so I'm not sure why he'd need any more rest. Parker, he might play around 40 to ensure victory. He did this game four against the Jazz, by playing him something like 21+ minutes in the 2nd half, including all of the 4th quarter.

DBMethos
05-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Why would he do that when, if they win, they don't play again until next weekend at the earliest? I suspect he'll be going all out for the kill. All of these pseudo problems are just that; he's not stupid enough to intentionally throw a playoff game. Not when he knows how quickly things can change. Play an unnecessary game five and maybe a key player succumbs to injury, or maybe the Clippers flat out pull off a minor miracle. You don't leave anything to chance in the playoffs.

I'm sure he'll attempt to buy Duncan a few more minutes of rest, but Ginobili still isn't playing all that much, so I'm not sure why he'd need any more rest. Parker, he might play around 40 to ensure victory. He did this game four against the Jazz, by playing him something like 21+ minutes in the 2nd half, including all of the 4th quarter.

This. Get the job done tonight.
Oh, and fuck Joey Crawford. :ihit

dunkman
05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
There is no tanking in playoffs. And new players get their chance only when something goes wrong - it wouldn't surprise if Del Negro starts making some changes in the Clippers rotation for game 4.

Pop tanked some regular season games in previous seasons, which was a mistake as it broke the momentum and the Spurs didn't even SPAM as usual.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Tbh . . .

spurs4real
05-20-2012, 06:52 PM
This is the playoffs you never try to lose any game.

Capt Bringdown
05-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Throw a playoff game and risk injuries in the next game? I'd never forgive Pop or any other coach who would do something so dumb.

Paranoid Pop
05-20-2012, 07:06 PM

We won a close game @LAC with Joey Crawford reffing this year. I actually think that if anything he's in pro-Timmy mode nowadays, can still be hilariously bad don't get be wrong, but biased against us I'm not sure.

Paranoid Pop
05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
All good reasons but it's gonna be difficult to lose because of our depth. We're just too damn good!!! Unless he plays a lot of Cory Joseph, James Anderson, and Derrick Byars...

Not really, the way the series has been going if he plays the second unit a lot we're getting blow out.

Marcus Bryant
05-20-2012, 07:09 PM
As a legend in his own mind once opined...

Win Now. Worry Later. :cooldevil

timvp
05-20-2012, 07:09 PM
If Pop doesn't give these minutes to the Big 3 and the Spurs lose, I'd consider it a covert forfeit:

Tony Parker - 38 minutes
Tim Duncan - 35 minutes
Manu Ginobili - 30 minutes

Any less than that and Pop didn't coach full bore.

lmbebo
05-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I think Pop may use the bench much more in the 1st half.

But I don't think Pop would purposely throw a game in the playoffs. Everything he's done in the regular season was leading up to the playoffs. Why throw it away. Don't give life to a dying dog, it can still bite you.

Playoffs is all about taking care of business. If we can finish them off tonight, we should.

spurs1990
05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
This topic occured 3 years ago when the Colts benched Payton Manning against the Jets to "avoid" going undefeated.

Guess what happened to that team at the end of the season?

I refuse to believe Pop would ever tank a fucking playoff game.

z0sa
05-20-2012, 07:15 PM
No way, and it makes zero sense. After the heart the Spurs players showed coming back from down big in game 3, he wants to throw Game 4 to see how the Spurs "bounce back?" They already showed how they handle their business in Game 3.

If this was anyone but Timvp posting I'd assume troll and :lmao. I sincerely hope you are wrong about Pop's psyche concerning this.

Paranoid Pop
05-20-2012, 07:18 PM
If Pop doesn't give these minutes to the Big 3 and the Spurs lose, I'd consider it a covert forfeit:

Tony Parker - 38 minutes
Tim Duncan - 35 minutes
Manu Ginobili - 30 minutes

Any less than that and Pop didn't coach full bore.

35 is too much for Tim and the way Manu has been playing not sure giving him 30 is really trying to win.

Spurfect21
05-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Would never throw a game in the playoffs. An extra 48 minutes is an extra 48 minutes risking an injury that could end all title hopes.

Kori Ellis
05-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Clippers are going to lay down early and take their beating.

This game is over by the half.

Marcus Bryant
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Being down 24 should be a wakeup call, regardless of the win, for this team, and should give Pop whatever he needs to get his players' attention.

Blake
05-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Why should he go covert?

he never has before, has he?

TampaDude
05-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Clippers are going to lay down early and take their beating.

This game is over by the half.

^ this, methinks :toast

Budkin
05-20-2012, 07:37 PM
So when exactly is the earliest the WCFs could start? Friday or Saturday?

TampaDude
05-20-2012, 07:40 PM

Well, if we close out the Clippers tonight, and the Thunder close out the Lakers tomorrow night, the WCF could theoretically start as early as Wednesday, but I'm thinking Thursday at the earliest.

timvp
05-20-2012, 07:53 PM

May 28-29 -- Conference Finals begin (possible move up to May 26 or 27)

http://www.nba.com/news/key-dates/index.html

So it looks like earliest possible is Saturday.

Keepin' it real
05-20-2012, 07:58 PM
People predicting the Clips will roll over are probably the sames ones who said they'd get blown out in game 7 at Memphis. That's why they play the games.

Sec24Row7
05-20-2012, 08:46 PM
There is no way in hell Pop wouldn't go for the sweep... that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
timp should have used his John Carroll screen name for this one.

Spurtacus
05-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Pop with hack a jordan in the first. Tells me he wants to win this game.

GrandeDavid
05-20-2012, 10:57 PM
You never never throw a playoff game.

Let's watch the Spurs make more History.:tu

Exactly! That would be the dumbest thing ever!

Arcadian
05-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Couldn't the Western Conference Finals start on Wednesday? Game 5 of the OKC-LAL series is tomorrow. If OKC closes out, then the series could start two days later.

Keepin' it real
05-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Another point is that the Spurs have not faced a lot of 4th-quarter adversity. The closest the Spurs have come to late-game adversity was the 4th quarter of Game 4 vs. Utah, and we all remember how poorly the Spurs played in that situation.

I expect that the WCF will feature a lot of close games, so if nothing else, I hope Game 4 tonight comes down to the wire, especially so the younger fellas can get a taste of playoff pressure in crunch time.

timvp
05-21-2012, 12:15 AM
Pop limits Duncan and Leonard. Spurs still win.

Well played :tu

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
It's funny how quickly a postseason goes by when your team advances to the WCF by playing just eight games!

urunobili
Pop trolling timvp TBH :lol

easjer
I hope Pop is satisfied with that close 4th quarter. Frankly, I feel lucky that they escaped with the win (the last two minutes of play notwithstanding).

Sec24Row7
05-21-2012, 12:17 AM

No... the right troll was... intentionally kept it close to get the young players close game experience... then just won by accident.

therealtruth
05-21-2012, 12:23 AM
No... the right troll was... intentionally kept it close to get the young players close game experience... then just won by accident.

That was no accident. Green's late game defense was huge. You saw how CP was able to pull out games against the Grizzlies.

05-21-2012, 12:23 AM
I would have liked a loss but a win is never a bad thing. Spurs get some extra rest, good days to practice, and have plenty o time to prepare against the thunder. Pop is the best coach in the world so the extra time for planning will be pretty nice.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2012, 12:27 AM

Why would he intentionally limit Leonard's minutes under any circumstances?

Spurfect21
05-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Honestly pop has been holding back with the team this series. He hasn't run everything, not even close. I think he will use this time to plan an onslaught for okc

therealtruth
05-21-2012, 12:47 AM
I would have liked a loss but a win is never a bad thing. Spurs get some extra rest, good days to practice, and have plenty o time to prepare against the thunder. Pop is the best coach in the world so the extra time for planning will be pretty nice.

Losing a game never helps. OKC may close out the Lakers next game.

MannyIsGod
05-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Pop isn't throwing games in the playoffs to make a point. Thats regular season shit.

capek
05-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Pop trolling timvp TBH :lol

Actually, it's timvp underestimating Pop's Jedi mastery. Pop just allowing things to get to the edge of a loss. Gives his players some stress. Then pulls them from the brink with his mind. HIS MIND! :elephant

jiggy_55
05-21-2012, 03:45 AM
There was never a chance of this happening.. Pop knows this is the PLAYOFFS regardless of a 3-0 series lead.. You just don't do that ever in a playoff series no matter the circumstances

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-21-2012, 04:54 AM

The final point proved to be correct in the end.

However, the last two games have also been really good for the Spurs because they've had to fight back from a huge early deficit in game 3, and close out a gritty win in game 4, two things they hadn't had to do yet these playoffs.

While I'd have preferred them not to have to sit around for 5 days waiting for the Thunder, it also means that any niggling injuries should be gone by game time.

I'm going to mentally prepare for a rusty Spurs outfit in the first half of game 1 (as they were for the first half of game 1 in this series), and hope that they don't fall too far behind before they get their timing and rotations right and click into gear. ;)

PS Time for the SA crowd to really flex their muscles and influence this series - no going quiet when things aren't going well!

PublicOption
05-21-2012, 05:03 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-05-17/san-antonio-spurs-gregg-popovich-lebron-james-mike-krzyzewski-team-usa