PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Danny Green and other statistical ponderings

timvp
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
For the second straight series, Danny Green led the Spurs in plus/minus per 48 minutes. Once could be a fluke. Twice in a row? Maybe there is something to those Ginobili-lite comparisons.

Plus/Minus Per 48 vs. Jazz
Danny Green +25.4
Tiago Splitter +23.0
Boris Diaw +22.9
Kawhi Leonard +22.9
Matt Bonner +21.6
Tim Duncan +19.2
Tony Parker +16.5
Manu Ginobili +12.6
Stephen Jackson +12.3
Gary Neal +11.0

Plus/Minus Per 48 vs. Clippers
Danny Green +27.3
Boris Diaw +25.4
Tim Duncan +24.5
Tony Parker +23.6
Kawhi Leonard +14.2
Manu Ginobili +4.3
Stephen Jackson -10.6
Gary Neal -13.5
Tiago Splitter -13.9
Matt Bonner -19.4

Here's a more detailed look at the stats versus the Clippers:

Team Points Scored Per 48 vs. Clippers
Danny Green 110.2
Tim Duncan 105.7
Boris Diaw 105.3
Tony Parker 103.4
Stephen Jackson 101.9
Gary Neal 99.9
Kawhi Leonard 99.9
Matt Bonner 99.0
Tiago Splitter 97.7
Manu Ginobili 97.4

Team Points Allowed Per 48 vs. Clippers
Tony Parker 79.8
Boris Diaw 79.9
Tim Duncan 81.2
Danny Green 82.9
Kawhi Leonard 85.7
Manu Ginobili 93.1
Tiago Splitter 111.6
Stephen Jackson 112.5
Gary Neal 113.3
Matt Bonner 118.4

Random thoughts:

-Danny Green has been extremely effective but it's a bit surprising that it's his offense that is supersizing his value. Then again, maybe it shouldn't be surprised since Green was 11-for-19 on three-pointers versus the Clippers.

-It's shocking that Manu Ginobili was the team's biggest offensive liability considering these stats showed he was by far the best offensive player in the entire NBA during the regular season. Let's hope he finds his rhythm in the WCF.

-Speaking of liabilities, it's amazing how Matt Bonner is the regular season king of plus/minus but gets exposed in the postseason like clockwork. It was obvious that Gary Neal sucked on defense versus the Clippers but the numbers say that Bonner was even worse. Much worse.

-Boris Diaw is near the top in all these stats. Gotta be thrilled with his level of play right now.

-In the regular season, Tim Duncan was hurting the team's offense when he was on the court. It's safe to say that's no longer the case.

-Tony Parker looked like he played a great defensive series and these numbers agree.

-For a rookie, Kawhi Leonard's ability to impact the game is outstanding. He's come a long, long way in that regard since the beginning of the regular season.

-Tiago Splitter was good against the Jazz but was a disappointment against the Clippers. I thought Splitter was pretty horrible in the first three games of the series and the numbers seem to agree.

-Even though Jackson's offense was ugly this series, it was actually his defense that was hurting the team.

-Gary Neal is who we thought he was: good enough on offense, really bad on defense.

-Spurs fans scoffed when people suggested that the Clippers were equally as deep but it turns out the Clippers bench played much better than the Spurs bench this series. That's a bit concerning going forward.

-Pop should wear a shock collar that is activated whenever he starts to think about putting Bonner into the game in the fourth quarter of a playoff game. Especially since Diaw is an option now.

-If the starters can continue to play great and the bench can regain their standing, this Spurs team is going to be very difficult to defeat, tbh.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
It's hardly a novel thought, but I've been absolutely thrilled with the way both Danny and Kawhi have played in these playoffs.

Their length and athleticism obviously make this team so dramatically different than the Spurs teams of the last few years, but their poise has been a true revelation. Even if neither plays the game the way Manu does, the fact that they've become so reliable in big moments reminds me of the way Manu (and Jack) made such huge contributions -- and not always statistically -- in 2003.

It's really too bad that Pop can't trust young players and give them meaningful minutes.

Mr. Body
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
The Clippers bench really caused some big problems, especially guys like Eric Bledsoe. Fortunately there aren't many speedy guys on the bench of the remaining teams.

Really hoping Ginobili and Jackson can start serving more of an offensive punch.

DBMethos
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Clippers had the best bench of any team remaining in the playoffs, save for perhaps Indiana. Since I find it highly unlikely that the Spurs will be facing the Pacers, I look forward to great things from the bench once again.

TacoCabanaFajitas
05-21-2012, 01:09 PM
-Spurs fans scoffed when people suggested that the Clippers were equally as deep but it turns out the Clippers bench played much better than the Spurs bench this series. That's a bit concerning going forward.

The only other team with even decent depth left is Indiana, and they will have to get through Boston/Miami/76ers first. I don't see OKC beating the Spurs simply because their 2nd unit has no firepower outside of Harden, and the Thunder are going to need Harden/Durant/Westbrook on the floor 40+ minutes of every game to have a shot at winning the series.

T Park
05-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Lol@ being concerned about the bench

loveforthegame
05-21-2012, 01:12 PM
The usual suspects find a way to contribute but I'm most impressed with Leonard, Green, and Diaw. They've gone way above my expectations.

For whatever reasons the Clippers were not a good match up for Neal, Jackson, and even Ginobili. I expect they'll bounce back in the next series.

Koolaid_Man
05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
" and the Los Angeles Lakers once on the verge of elimination now take a commanding 2 games to none lead in this best of 7 Western Conference Finals. We'll be back after this commercial break

ChumpDumper
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I was glad that the bench showed signs of life in game four; they were pretty terrible before that.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
lol large font fantasy

hater
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Jax looks like he's 70 years old out there

TDMVPDPOY
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
the thing with ginoboli is whether you accept how many dumb plays b4 he gets going?

tesseractive
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Am I right in thinking that Bonner ought to be useful against the Thunder? They don't have nearly as much post offense, so he won't be as exposed. And if he can pull guys like Ibaka or Perkins out to the perimeter, that's a win. I'm not saying we should be playing him ahead of Diaw or anything, but I do hope he'll be useful as a 4th man out there.

Also, congrats to Boris and Danny for the great playoffs they're having. And for Kawhi for looking way better than any rookie has a right to. :lol

T Park
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Jax looks like he's 70 years old out there

Only because he was guarding point guards.....

ChumpDumper
05-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Am I right in thinking that Bonner ought to be useful against the Thunder? They don't have nearly as much post offense, so he won't be as exposed. And if he can pull guys like Ibaka or Perkins out to the perimeter, that's a win. I'm not saying we should be playing him ahead of Diaw or anything, but I do hope he'll be useful as a 4th man out there.We'll see. The Clippers did a great job closing out on Bonner. Don't know if the Thunder could do the same.

coyotes_geek
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
-Danny Green has been extremely effective but it's a bit surprising that it's his offense that is supersizing his value. Then again, maybe it shouldn't be surprised since Green was 11-for-19 on three-pointers versus the Clippers.

Green has been in a good spot so far these playoffs. He gets most of his minutes with Tim & Tony, plus he's got a pretty quick trigger on his shot. It's harder to close out on him than it is on Leonard who needs more time and more space to size up his shot. Looking in hindsight, it certainly makes sense that he'd be the primary beneficiary of getting to face teams who don't defend the 3pt line very well.

benefactor
05-21-2012, 01:27 PM
We'll see. The Clippers did a great job closing out on Bonner. Don't know if the Thunder could do the same.
Indeed. It should probably be done on an experimental basis to see how OKC will react and if Bonner can actually make them pay for it. If he's not knocking down his shot or passing them up he needs to head back to the pine.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2012, 01:29 PM
We'll see. The Clippers did a great job closing out on Bonner. Don't know if the Thunder could do the same.

Agree with this.

But Bonner also seems to have some self-inflicted doubt going against him. He's been a willing shooter all season and against Utah, that seemed to continue as he confidently hoisted up shots throughout that series.

While the Clippers' closeouts did appear to cause him to either move the ball or put it down several times, there were a few instances in which he had good looks and seemed quite content to move the ball instead of pulling the trigger.

Bruno
05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
The Clippers series can be sum up in one sentence: Spurs starters were great and Spurs bench sucked.

Clippers bench really took advantage of Spurs bench being slow on the perimeter. In addition of that some bench players were really bad. The worst of the bunch was Jack with 1.3ppg in 14.8mpg.

Mugen
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
The Clippers did a great job of closing out on Bonner because his uberslow release + playoff passivity makes him easy to close out on.

OKC will probably go small whenever Bon Bon is on the court which doesn't bode well for SA.

I don't really see a good matchup for Matty left in the playoffs outside of Indiana where he can match up with Psycho T or Almundson. I'm just happy Pops limited his mins. and that we have Boris.

Manu-20
05-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Really glad to see green and kawhi playing such big roles in just their first time in the playoffs getting playing time, hopefully we can keep those 2 together for a while I think they can be a good combo at the 2 and 3 for years to come.

ElNono
05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
It's really too bad that Pop can't trust young players and give them meaningful minutes.

:lol

Danny has been great and I pointed out in Game 3 vs Clippers that it was no coincidence that the Spurs went down by 20+ with Danny sitting on the bench with early foul trouble. He isn't just good on the perimeter, but his help defense and ability to react quickly between a double teams inside is a big plus.

TJastal
05-21-2012, 01:45 PM

I'm calling bullshit here.

In the 4 games I saw vs the clippers Bonner was left open for the most part. He was passing up opportunities for open 3's in favor of passing off or dribbling in for mid range shots which isn't really playing to his real strength.

My theory here is that this is just standard playoff Bonner. And I think the difference between this year and year's past is he's finally becoming self-aware of his lack of sphincter control at this time of year. The telling sign is his shot mechanics haven't looked the same since the playoffs started. Seems he's back to his shot put form, pushing the basketball rather than shooting it, usually resulting in a brick.

boutons_deux
05-21-2012, 01:47 PM
SJax, with so few minutes, can't be in any kind of game shape. Looks heavy, slow, befuddled and that's before he touches the ball! :lol

cheguevara
05-21-2012, 01:48 PM
yup both Bonner and Jackson have been passing up the open shot. Even Manu in some occassions. that won't cut it vs. OKC

Budkin
05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
I am so damn psyched for this series... it's going to be awesome.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2012, 01:51 PM

In the 4 games I saw vs the clippers Bonner was left open for the most part. He was passing up opportunities for open 3's in favor of passing off or dribbling in for mid range shots which isn't really playing to his real strength.

My theory here is that this is just standard playoff Bonner. And I think the difference between this year and year's past is he's finally becoming self-aware of his lack of sphincter control at this time of year. The telling sign is his shot mechanics haven't looked the same since the playoffs started. Seems he's back to his shot put form, pushing the basketball rather than shooting it, usually resulting in a brick.Considering all your other basketball takes, I'll stick with mine.

_jin
05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Team Points Allowed Per 48 vs. Clippers
Boris Diaw 79.9
Tim Duncan 81.2
against Griffin/Jordan

Tiago Splitter 111.6
Matt Bonner 118.4
against Evans/Martin (lol)

TJastal
05-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Considering all your other basketball takes, I'll stick with mine.

That he's still shooting 44% from downtown with all his hesitation and poor shot mechanics should tell you just how wide open he's been most of the playoffs so far.

Now can you imagine what's going to happen if the spurs are to get into a hotly contested series with oodles of pressure like say, the WCF?

I hope I'm wrong here, but history does have a way of repeating..

Pop should just keep Bonner on a short leash against the thunder. I'd even roll the dice on Blair given his historical success against that team.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
That he's still shooting 44% from downtown with all his hesitation and poor shot mechanics should tell you just how wide open he's been most of the playoffs so far.Or it could say his shot selection is good.

I hope I'm wrong here, but history does have a way of repeating.Your being wrong has a way of repeating.

Blake
05-21-2012, 02:28 PM
-Speaking of liabilities, it's amazing how Matt Bonner is the regular season king of plus/minus but gets exposed in the postseason like clockwork. It was obvious that Gary Neal sucked on defense versus the Clippers but the numbers say that Bonner was even worse. Much worse.

Seeing as how Bonner had a better +/- per 48 than Tim against the Jazz, I think you are being a bit disingenuous here.

Bonner sucked all year long against the Clippers. Just not a good match up for him.

His numbers in this series really should have been no surprise. it definitely wasn't to me.

T Park
05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Bonner exceeded my expectations against a bad matchup in the Clippers.

I'm confused by the "frustrated he won't shoot, hate when he's in the game cause he can't make a shot" crowd

Blake
05-21-2012, 02:32 PM

My theory here is that this is just standard playoff Bonner. And I think the difference between this year and year's past is he's finally becoming self-aware of his lack of sphincter control at this time of year. The telling sign is his shot mechanics haven't looked the same since the playoffs started. Seems he's back to his shot put form, pushing the basketball rather than shooting it, usually resulting in a brick.

My theory here is that you are talking out of your sphincter.

mookie2001
05-21-2012, 02:32 PM
To me this just shows how bad Manu has been. Should be his farewell season

freetiago
05-21-2012, 02:49 PM
the bench was bad because of ginobili
they rely on him to create for them
he either bricked bad shots or turned the ball over
hasnt really had one good game this playoffs
he ended up defering to neal/jackson to be the ballhandlers a lot
if ginobili can play the way we know he can and did in the reg season our bench will still be outplaying every other bench in the nba

i think the only reason bonner was in the game in the 4th was because they started hacking jordan
but they stopped after the 1st hack and then bonner kept getting dunked on

vander
05-21-2012, 03:00 PM
I thought the spurs had a bench, 5 players obviously carrying this team

2012 playoffs:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9422/captureujb.png

that's a 22 point drop from 5th to 6th best player :wow:wow

timvp
05-21-2012, 03:06 PM
If the Clippers are a bad matchup for Bonner, WTH is a good matchup? Against the Clippers, he was defended by players who often sagged all the way into the paint. The Clippers were also really bad at rotating and they are particularly bad at defending three-pointers. The Spurs aren't going to face another team as bad at defending the three-point line as the Clippers. On the other end, Evans and Martin are tough guys but the Clippers rarely if ever give them the ball.

I really want Bonner to succeed because he can make the game so much easier for everyone else but since the first game of the playoffs, he's done nothing to shed his playoff choker label, tbh. Last night, he wasn't spreading the court at all because the Clippers were able to make him pump-fake simply by running at him.

roycrikside
05-21-2012, 03:08 PM
The bench was awful for the first three games, but I felt they redeemed themselves somewhat in this final game (just as they did in Game 4 at Utah). Hopefully they'll be up to the challenge sooner against OKC. The Thunder only go about 7 deep, and Durant and Westbrook typically play the entire second half, so hopefully we'll wear them down.

Blake
05-21-2012, 03:27 PM
If the Clippers are a bad matchup for Bonner, WTH is a good matchup? Against the Clippers, he was defended by players who often sagged all the way into the paint. The Clippers were also really bad at rotating and they are particularly bad at defending three-pointers. The Spurs aren't going to face another team as bad at defending the three-point line as the Clippers. On the other end, Evans and Martin are tough guys but the Clippers rarely if ever give them the ball.

I really want Bonner to succeed because he can make the game so much easier for everyone else but since the first game of the playoffs, he's done nothing to shed his playoff choker label, tbh. Last night, he wasn't spreading the court at all because the Clippers were able to make him pump-fake simply by running at him.

Why are you ignoring his moderately successful play against the Jazz? Did they not count as a playoff opponent?

I have no good answer why he has sucked against the Clips, but he has sucked against them all year.

If he sucks against the Thunder and then on into the finals, then I won't disagree he's still an under achiever in the playoffs. I think it's a little early and little unfair to slap it on him at this point.

Spursmania
05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Aside from Bonner playing the way I suspected he would, my main concern here is Manu. Where the heck is his rhythm? Damn, did you see his 3 point shots, I mean way off. And, the turnovers have got to stop.

Aside from the obvious of wanting Manu to handle the ball over Neal, I find myself wondering when Parker's going to come back in, because I'm getting nervous about Manu handling the ball and his to's. Wow- those thoughts have never occured much in previous playoffs. I would have never been worried in the past about Manu.

I still believe in Manu and his will to win and I'm happy with his ability to still get to the rim when we need him and create in other ways. But, I'm officially worried. Where is the great Manu, the creator, the dribbler, the three point killah?:(

timvp
05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Why are you ignoring his moderately successful play against the Jazz?I've repeatedly given Bonner credit for a really good first game of the playoffs. But should really ignore the fact that he was 2-for-7 in the other three games that series? And then should we ignore the fact that he was arguably the worst player on the team against the Clippers?

I have no good answer why he has sucked against the Clips, but he has sucked against them all year. No he hasn't. He was pretty damn good in this game:

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320218012

13 points, six rebounds and a clutch three-pointer in overtime. But of course that was the regular season.

If he sucks against the Thunder and then on into the finals, then I won't disagree he's still an under achiever in the playoffs. I think it's a little early and little unfair to slap it on him at this point.

:lol The small sample size for Bonner argument yet again. The last five years of playoff failure isn't enough proof that Bonner will shrink when it's money time. Of course it's not.

Seriously, I've never seen a player given a longer rope than Matt Bonner ... by fans and the team.

freetiago
05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
i was saying we should have had novak over bonner
novak at least looks for his shot and doesnt shrink
at least if teams take him out it means the floor is open
teams can sag off bonner and as soon as he sees any resistance he goes in the fetal position
are there any other decent stretch 4s available
the dream would be ryan anderson but i dont see it happening
maybe if we gave up green+another young talent and took back a bad contract but that would be too much

Spursmania
05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I'll never understand the constant Bonner homerism by some fans.

Are some fans just a bunch of retards that can't watch tapes of his performance during the regular season and then watch his impotence during the playoffs thereby making a rational conclusion of his performance pre and post regualr season play?

Bonner has a decent game in the Playoffs and all else is forgiven? Please...

Bonner plays in the play-offs the way most of us on the board knew he would. Sub-par compared to regular season thus he becomes a defensive liability since his balls shrivel up and he can't score anymore. Surprise, surprise...

Yes, I root for Bonner to make me eat crow. Go for it Ginger, make me eat crow. Hell, hit a game winner in a playoff game! You go Red!!

Menawhile, I won't hold my breathe.

therealtruth
05-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I've repeatedly given Bonner credit for a really good first game of the playoffs. But should really ignore the fact that he was 2-for-7 in the other three games that series? And then should we ignore the fact that he was arguably the worst player on the team against the Clippers?

No he hasn't. He was pretty damn good in this game:

13 points, six rebounds and a clutch three-pointer in overtime. But of course that was the regular season.

:lol The small sample size for Bonner argument yet again. The last five years of playoff failure isn't enough proof that Bonner will shrink when it's money time. Of course it's not.

Seriously, I've never seen a player given a longer rope than Matt Bonner ... by fans and the team.

It was probably close between him and Gary Neal for worst player but Neal at least contributed clutch baskets and scoring.

coyotes_geek
05-21-2012, 04:29 PM
In this series especially I think you've really got to take conclusions drawn from +/-, on court/off court about individual performances with a grain of salt. I have a hard time holding Splitter, Bonner and Jackson responsible to the extent that the numbers would otherwise suggest when both the crappy offense and crappy defense can be directly attributed to Neal & Manu's struggles handling the ball and getting the team into the offense. Neal getting his pocket picked and the Clippers getting a transition bucket going the other way doesn't mean Splitter had a poor offensive and poor defensive possession.

Blake
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I've repeatedly given Bonner credit for a really good first game of the playoffs. But should really ignore the fact that he was 2-for-7 in the other three games that series? And then should we ignore the fact that he was arguably the worst player on the team against the Clippers?

Right. All year against the Clippers.

No he hasn't. He was pretty damn good in this game:

A +3 and 2-9 inside the arc and 6 rebounds in 36 minutes is a pretty damn good game?

WTH makes it a pretty damn good game? The OT 3 pointer?

I've never seen another player with such mediocre talent become such a scapegoat for early playoff exits.

....or such burning hate for the hall of fame coach that gives him playing time

timvp
05-21-2012, 05:07 PM
:lol Bonner Apologist suddenly changes course to argue 13 points and six rebounds to go along with one of his three clutch baskets of the season doesn't classify as a good game for Bonner.

So Bonner scoring ten points the entire series should be applauded but Bonner scoring 13 points in one game should be ignored because it doesn't fit in with the agenda at hand. Got it. Thanks.

I reaaaaaaaally want Bonner to succeed because the Spurs are basically unbeatable when he plays well. But to suggest that the first two series of the 2012 playoffs have done anything to change Bonner's reputation as a playoff choker would be disingenuous, tbh.

Brazil
05-21-2012, 05:13 PM
For Bonner credit I thought he had a good serie against the Jazz by his standard, his D was ok, he hit some stuff, he hustles a bit... but against Clips he has been the Bonner I know.

Thanks God for Diaw who eat most of his minutes.

Spurtacus
05-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Green gonna get paid this summer. I hope Spurs can lock him up for 5 years at around 4-5 mil each yea. Leonard, Green, hopefully Joseph. Just need a couple of young bigs to groom for the post Duncan era.

therealtruth
05-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Bonner can help make the wins come easier but this deep in the playoffs I don't think teams are bad enough to allow him uncontested 3's in rhythm. Really TD, Diaw, and Splitter should absorb most of the minutes before Bonner. Even KL and SJax are pretty good as small ball power forwards.

Russ
05-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Bonner also had a good Game 1 last year vs. Memphis, hitting a couple of late threes that nearly pulled it out. Then he disappeared for the rest of the playoffs.

You almost get the feeling that the first game of the playoffs is a rite of passage for Bonner -- he's transitioning, shedding his skin from the regular season Bonner to the post-season Bonner.

maverick1948
05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
"-Speaking of liabilities, it's amazing how Matt Bonner is the regular season king of plus/minus but gets exposed in the postseason like clockwork. It was obvious that Gary Neal sucked on defense versus the Clippers but the numbers say that Bonner was even worse. Much worse"

You take on this is silly. He played the first 50 games with a lot time with starters, now he is playing more with Neal and Splitter. We all know Bonner is not a favorite on Spurstalk but the man helped get us here, so stop running him down. He was not the reason for any run in this series.

Venti Quattro
05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
So what's the O/U that someone from ESPN Insider is plagiarizing this article? :lol :lol :lol

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2012, 08:00 PM
-Speaking of liabilities, it's amazing how Matt Bonner is the regular season king of plus/minus but gets exposed in the postseason like clockwork.

Amazing that anyone would find this amazing. The jury came in on Bonner's playoff potential a long time ago.
Expecting anything other from him than failure is madness IMO.

T Park
05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Blake is 1000% right. I've never seen a bench player that plays so little get vilified so much. But hey, there's always someone that's gotta draw the ire.

Blake
05-21-2012, 08:08 PM
:lol Bonner Apologist suddenly changes course to argue 13 points and six rebounds to go along with one of his three clutch baskets of the season doesn't classify as a good game for Bonner.

So Bonner scoring ten points the entire series should be applauded but Bonner scoring 13 points in one game should be ignored because it doesn't fit in with the agenda at hand. Got it. Thanks.

You started with this:

-Speaking of liabilities, it's amazing how Matt Bonner is the regular season king of plus/minus but gets exposed in the postseason like clockwork.

You changed course praising his points and rebounds in that regular season Clipper game. I'm now asking what direction we are going as far as criteria goes.

I reaaaaaaaally want Bonner to succeed because the Spurs are basically unbeatable when he plays well. But to suggest that the first two series of the 2012 playoffs have done anything to change Bonner's reputation as a playoff choker would be disingenuous, tbh.

You gave Bonner 2 C and 2 B grades in the 4 games against the Jazz, giving him pretty high praise in game 4.

He was 5 for 10 from downtown for that series.

He plus/minused the shit out of them.....better than Duncan.

Did the Jazz expose Bonner or not?

TD 21
05-21-2012, 08:36 PM
It's incredible how poorly Ginobili has played in the playoffs . . . and how easily they've gotten away with it. And its not like Parker has exactly played out of his mind either. Criticize the competition all you want, but if someone would have told you those two things a month ago, you probably would have still had them in the Conference Finals (once you knew the match-ups and health situations of one of the teams two best players), but not by way of going 8-0. I think this is more law of averages than anything with Ginobili. His shooting was off the charts in the regular season, so he was due for a tough shooting stretch. But still. I've never seen him so poor reflected via advance stats.

Shabazz
05-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Why do you think Bonner is coming in as the back-up PF instead of Blair?

tesseractive
05-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Why do you think Bonner is coming in as the back-up PF instead of Blair?

Because he (theoretically) stretches the defense and pulls a big out of the paint to create more of a lane for our guards to penetrate.

T Park
05-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Because he's a better defender than Blair, has better height, and is a better offensive player.

Its not even close.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Bledsoe was the biggest influence from the Clipper bench because we had no-one on the court who could keep up with him. I'm a little surprised Pop didn't throw Mills at him occasionally.

Anyway, our bench has been so good all year that I'm sure they'll return to form in the coming series.

Let's take a look:

Fisher vs Neal/Mills
Harden vs Manu
Cook vs Jax
Collison vs Bonner/Grizz
Mohammed vs Splitter

I'll take our bench over theirs any day of the week. Harden and Collison are their two best bench players, and we match up on them pretty well. The weak points in our rotation are Neal's awful D, which Fisher is unlikely to exploit given that he's virtually a corpse, and the Grizz-Bonner chimera, although we're likely to see very little of them unless foul trouble is a factor.

I think we'll see our bench vastly outplay OKC's, except in those periods when Harden becomes unstoppable. The Harden-Collison pnr is the key to their bench, just as Manu-Splitter pnr is important to ours. However, we can also expect strong contributions from Neal and Jax, while anything they get from the rest of their bench is definitely an unexpected bonus for them.

TJastal
06-04-2012, 06:53 AM
That he's still shooting 44% from downtown with all his hesitation and poor shot mechanics should tell you just how wide open he's been most of the playoffs so far.

Now can you imagine what's going to happen if the spurs are to get into a hotly contested series with oodles of pressure like say, the WCF?

I hope I'm wrong here, but history does have a way of repeating..

Pop should just keep Bonner on a short leash against the thunder. I'd even roll the dice on Blair given his historical success against that team.

Bonner exceeded my expectations against a bad matchup in the Clippers.

I'm confused by the "frustrated he won't shoot, hate when he's in the game cause he can't make a shot" crowd

Or it could say his shot selection is good.

Your being wrong has a way of repeating.

My theory here is that you are talking out of your sphincter.

:lmao cuck crew

:lmao binomial distribution

:lmao

Blake
06-04-2012, 08:14 AM
:lmao cuck crew

:lmao binomial distribution

:lmao

:lmao :lmao still talking out of your sphincter

TJastal
06-04-2012, 08:24 AM
:lmao :lmao still talking out of your sphincter

Yah, Bonner's been a real factor in this series.. NOT. Try to do us a favor and stay up to date on current events, cuckoldboy.

Blake
06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
NOT.

TJastal using bads from 1992 is so good.

Bill_Brasky
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Ummm Bonner clearly was the reason that the Thunder sparked a second quarter run the other night and he is clearly not fast enough to be worth a shit on defense(namely transition, which they try to score on every time he clanks a 3).

Add in his incredibly slow release and he's fucking useless against a fast team. Shouldn't get even one more minute.

Spur|n|Austin
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Ummm Bonner clearly was the reason that the Thunder sparked a second quarter run the other night and he is clearly not fast enough to be worth a shit on defense(namely transition, which they try to score on every time he clanks a 3).

Add in his incredibly slow release and he's fucking useless against a fast team. Shouldn't get even one more minute.

This. The Thunder smell blood every single time he steps onto the court. Pop HAS to see this!

Goran Dragic
06-04-2012, 12:32 PM
I can't decide who's dumber, the people who hyper-criticize Popovich's decisions, or the people who dismiss any blame thrown at Bonner. I think two things are pretty clear:

1) Popovich has gotten more out of this team than any other coach would and is maybe the best coach in the NBA but definitely top 3.

2) Matt Bonner has been extremely detrimental to San Antonio while he's been on the court in this series, and it was definitely a mistake for Popovich to play him so much in game 3.

Blake
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM

I can't decide who's dumber, the people who hyper-criticize Popovich's decisions, or the people who dismiss any blame thrown at Bonner. I think two things are pretty clear:

1) Popovich has gotten more out of this team than any other coach would and is maybe the best coach in the NBA but definitely top 3.

2) Matt Bonner has been extremely detrimental to San Antonio while he's been on the court in this series, and it was definitely a mistake for Popovich to play him so much in game 3.

Has anyone disagreed with these sentiments?

Goran Dragic
06-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Has anyone disagreed with these sentiments?
T-Park seems to disagree with the one about Bonner, and Mustang Sally the one about Popovich.

Blake
06-04-2012, 02:17 PM
T-Park seems to disagree with the one about Bonner, and Mustang Sally the one about Popovich.

Mustang Sally thinks there are two different Pops.

He thinks winning Pop is awesome and has done everything Sally has told him to.

He thinks losing Pop is a fuckhead.