PDA

View Full Version : Wetzel:Fundamental Flaw

blaze89
06-23-2005, 12:43 AM
If already posted then my mistake....

Fundamental flaw (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=dw-duncan062205&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
June 22, 2005

SAN ANTONIO – Tony Parker's jump shot caromed off the rim, and Tim Duncan was there, of course. Right under the basket, squared to the hoop, ball held tightly above his head the way you'd expect the Big Fundamental to hold it.

He tried to lay the ball in off the glass only to get it swatted by Ben Wallace. He grabbed the rebound and went back up, albeit too soft again, and got harassed by two Detroit Pistons into a miss.

It was crunch time (43 seconds left, Spurs down five) in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, with the San Antonio Spurs desperately needing a basket to come back against the Pistons and claim a third NBA title. And the best player the franchise has ever known didn't do a very simple thing.

Dunk it. Slam it. Emphatically let everyone on the court know that this is Tim Duncan and this is his NBA title.

Make no mistake – the Spurs aren't in Thursday's Game 7 in South Texas without Tim Duncan. He had another double-double on Tuesday (21 and 15), and he is averaging 23.5 points and 12.5 rebounds in these playoffs.

He is an eight-time first-team all-NBA selection. He already owns two NBA championships and twice was named NBA Finals MVP. He's a first-ballot Hall of Famer if he retired yesterday.

You can argue that he is the greatest power forward the game has ever known.

Except to do so you would have to explain why Duncan didn't dunk it on Tuesday. Or why in this series he can't hit a clutch free throw – 12 costly misses in the last two games. Or why he short-armed an easy, game-winning putback at the end of regulation in Game 5. Or why a pass slipped through his hands a few minutes later in overtime.

Or basically why, when the going gets tough in this series, Tim Duncan's mysteriously stubborn reputation keeps popping up.

He may be the best ever. But he also may be soft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Pressure can do two things," said Robert Horry on Wednesday, as the Spurs sorted through the wreckage of a missed close-out opportunity and the task at hand – a do-or-die Game 7. "It can bust a pipe. It can make a diamond."

Horry wasn't talking specifically about the Spurs' superstar center, unquestioned leader and must-have performer. But he could have been.

No one wants to say a bad word about Tim Duncan. He's too good of a guy, and San Antonio isn't home to a critical media or fan base. But Duncan's teammates know his reputation across the league, and they know that even the finest diamonds are scrutinized for flaws.

They know, deep down, that as untouchable as Duncan's legacy should be, if he doesn't bring it in Game 7 like everyone knows he is capable, if his late-game slump continues, if the Spurs lose in the playoffs again after holding a 2-0 series lead, then that too is part of the legacy.

Fair or unfair.

"If he doesn't have a breakout game with all kinds of stats, people question his leadership and his gamesmanship," Bruce Bowen said. "It's unfair to him. If he doesn't make that bank shot it's, Oh, I told you about Tim.' "

But that's the burden of being the star. In the Spurs' 2003 NBA title-clinching victory over the New Jersey Nets, Duncan delivered to the tune of a near quadruple-double – 21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and eight blocks. He carried an aging David Robinson and a collection of young role players to the title.

He was hailed as the best player in the game and his championship effort went down in Finals lore, right there with Jordan and Magic and Bird and the others.

But that was then.

This was Duncan's description of his play late in Game 5: "Absolute nightmare."

This was his description of his play late in Game 6: "I was OK. I was all right. Still not great, but just OK."

You can't be as good as Tim Duncan and be "just OK" during the biggest minutes of the biggest games. San Antonio cannot win Thursday night unless Duncan stares down Ben and Rasheed Wallace and delivers greatly.

"I think in Game 7, I'll try to be a little more [aggressive]," Duncan said. "Asking for the ball and drawing double-teams or trying to make something happen."

For Tim Duncan, that counts as bravado.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the first five minutes of Tuesday's fourth quarter, Duncan never touched the ball. After that, every time he got to the foul line he continued to struggle. In the final three minutes, other than after grabbing offensive rebounds, he didn't take a single shot.

For this, Duncan never complained. He never called for the ball. He never lashed out at his teammates who seemed to forget exactly who is whom in the Spurs' offensive pecking order.

"It's not about Tim," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We forgot about Tim Duncan. He didn't forget about anything."

That was the sentiment on the eve of these Finals' decisive game, that it was a team failure. Fair enough, but there comes a time in a great player's career when letting the game come to him isn't enough. A point guard's jersey needs to be grabbed, and the big guy needs to demand the damn ball.

Duncan's agreeable personality may be what it is – "You can't make people change," Manu Ginobili said – and his points and rebounds normally may come from the flow of the game.

But that isn't enough right now. The Spurs are on the cusp of again blowing the playoffs. They are only a Robert Horry rescue job from having already done it.

In each of the last four games, in the biggest of moments, the biggest of the Spurs has done little.

"I need to be assertive," Duncan said. "But I don't need to be overly assertive."

Actually, he does. This is no time for Mr. Nice Guy. This is no time to let Ginobili or Parker or Horry make the gutsy play. This is no time because there is no time left for Duncan to struggle and slide.

This is where, as the marketing slogan claims, "Legends Are Born."

On Thursday, Tim Duncan – the great Tim Duncan – can decide which way his legend is headed.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

SPARKY
06-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Oh yes, suddenly Duncan forgot how to play come playoff time.

weebo
06-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Actually, there is some truth to that article. As an unquestioned superstar of this team, Duncan must be aggressive and decisive. This is his team. He is being to passive for whatever reason. Our hopes of a championship rest on his shoulders. If he doesn't come out with a great game from start to finish, we don't have much of a chance. Manu and Tony are great, but they are role players. This team was built around Tim. He must deliver.

Rummpd
06-23-2005, 05:42 AM
Wetzel = Vescey = SAS. Idiots and inane period.

exstatic
06-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Or, it may have somthing to do with the fact that his ankles are taped so tightly, they may as well be in casts. It's not about getting your shot up in traffic. That two hand putback that he missed at the end of regulation in game 5 is a two hand flush without thought or effort by a 100% Duncan. What you are seeing is an 80-85% Duncan, at best, gutting it out.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-23-2005, 07:27 AM
I agree with one thing that article says, and that is Duncan almost never dunks it!! WHat's his problem with dunking the fucking ball!! I'm tired of seeing how Ben or Rasheed get block after block just because Tim decides its better to layup! COME ON TIM!!! WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! DO STOP FUCKING AROUND AND DO IT!!!

dn0
06-23-2005, 09:29 AM
DUNK IT using both hands and if someone wants to block it, make sure you at least break them a finger.

ZappaFan
06-23-2005, 09:41 AM
I wonder if his ankles are bothering him even more than he's letting on. He's said that they are tired at the end of the game, that might be why he's had such trouble shooting free throws in the 4th quarter. His shot is short and flat a lot of times when he misses, one sign of tired legs. Dunno. I don't see him as soft tho.

boutons
06-23-2005, 09:45 AM
"I wonder if his ankles are bothering him even more than he's letting on"

He's not letting on anything. Pop, soon after Tim was injured, said his ankles wouldn't be 100% for month. I don't to hear about it now, and nor we lose (will sound like an excuse), and maybe not even if we win (maybe only from Pop, not from anybody else, esp. Tim.).

samikeyp
06-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Yes because a dunk is worth more points than a lay-up. :rolleyes

Spurminator
06-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Tim Duncan vs. the Pistons:
PPG: 19.8
RPG: 14.7
BPG: 2.2

"Most Dominant Center Ever" vs. the Pistons:
PPG: 20.6
RPG: 7.6
BPG: 2.0

wsdp
06-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Tim Duncan vs. the Pistons:
PPG: 19.8
RPG: 14.7
BPG: 2.2

"Most Dominant Center Ever" vs. the Pistons:
PPG: 20.6
RPG: 7.6
BPG: 2.0

TOTAL NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS BY DUNCAN AND M.D.C.E. VS. PISTONS = 0

Spurminator
06-23-2005, 10:44 AM
I mean, this cracks me up... Not only did Shaq lose to the same team THIS year (while putting up below average numbers) and somehow avoid this kind of criticism, but he alomst got SWEPT by the Pistons in the Finals LAST year.

Duncan's just an easy target.

easjer
06-23-2005, 10:48 AM
I know his ankles are a problem. And the fact they are not talking about it doesn't mean they aren't. It means that no one is making excuses. But I want that noted in all this soft talk.

Should he be more aggressive? Yeah. Can't hurt. But there is a limit - if he gets the ball time and again, someone else doesn't. If he misses, then what? Keep feeding it to him or no? How many times? He wants to make sure everyone is involved.

And the article was also wrong about the lack of critical fans in SA. He'll be crucified if he's the one with the ball and it doesn't go down and we lose. He shouldn't have to carry a team with another All-Star (who has a gold medal) and a soon to be all star and the runner up for defensive player of the year. Everyone needs to be more aggressive, less tentative, and fucking step up.