PDA

View Full Version : Dirk vs. Duncan in the '06 WCSF

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Duncan: 32.2ppg, 11.7rpg, 3.7apg, 2.5blk, 1.0spg, .556FG

Dirk: 27.1ppg, 13.3rpg, 2.7apg, 0.4blk, 1.3spg, .527FG

The one knock against Duncan, who was near perfect (as was Dirk), is he slightly faded in overtime during game 7. Understandable, since he was exhausted, but Dirk didn't fade and seized control in the extra period, which is why I feel Dirk comes out on top in this head-to-head matchup despite having marginally worse stats.

However, my intention with this thread isn't really to determine who was better in the series but to ask has their been a better player duel over a playoff series in the post Jordan-era? Each player only had one game in which they shot below 50%. To remain that consistent over a 7 game series is simply unreal.

dude1394
05-22-2012, 02:08 AM
They are both beautiful. Wonderful classy competitors.

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Duncan: 32.2ppg, 11.7rpg, 3.7apg, 2.5blk, 1.0spg, .556FG

Dirk: 27.1ppg, 13.3rpg, 2.7apg, 0.4blk, 1.3spg, .527FG

The one knock against Duncan, who was near perfect (as was Dirk), is he slightly faded in overtime during game 7. Understandable, since he was exhausted, but Dirk didn't fade and seized control in the extra period, which is why I feel Dirk comes out on top in this head-to-head matchup despite having marginally worse stats.

However, my intention with this thread isn't really to determine who was better in the series but to ask has their been a better player duel over a playoff series in the post Jordan-era? Each player only had one game in which they shot below 50%. To remain that consistent over a 7 game series is simply unreal.

duncan played with PF injury man, mavs used the same tactic spurs did against the suns, which was contain 4 guys and see if the other guy have his...

whether duncan faded or not is not his fault, you going to blame him also for not stopping dirks last play where he was nowhere close to do anything

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 02:15 AM
duncan played with PF injury man, mavs used the same tactic spurs did against the suns, which was contain 4 guys and see if the other guy have his...

whether duncan faded or not is not his fault, you going to blame him also for not stopping dirks last play where he was nowhere close to do anything

I'm not blaming Duncan for fading in overtime. As much work he did that game to lead the comeback and keep the Spurs within striking distance it's understandable he struggled against Diop, an active, athletic player who was fresh off the bench after Duncan fouled out Dampier and Van Horn. Diop only played 10 minutes in that game while Duncan played 50. I'm simply saying you have to consider that in comparing the two players' series.

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2012, 02:28 AM
this is the series i hated the most, this is the series pop learnt fkn small ball and tried that shit for 4 seasons = fail

FkLA
05-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Are we ignoring the defensive end ?

Latarian Milton
05-22-2012, 06:03 AM
mavs-spurs series in 06 was the classiest matchup of all time imho

TheTreeOfWoe
05-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Are we ignoring the defensive end ?

Do you ignore the legal age of consent in the state of Texas?

Axe Murderer
05-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Memory is a little jogged, but I don't think Dirk really did anything in overtime. I remember Stackhouse hit a couple big shots and Diop had a bucket or two as well.

VBM
05-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Memory is a little jogged, but I don't think Dirk really did anything in overtime. I remember Stackhouse hit a couple big shots and Diop had a bucket or two as well.

He didn't have to. Spurs were gassed after coming back from that big deficit that game. To think Ginobili has been a part of two of the biggest heartbreakers in SA history: .4 and the foul

Obstructed_View
05-22-2012, 02:43 PM
And Duncan did it with two centers tied behind his bench.

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Iverson vs. Carter is the only other series that comes to mind, tbh..

I can think of other single game playoff duels, but not throughout a series..

Axe Murderer
05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
And Duncan did it with two centers tied behind his bench.

cool

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 03:47 PM

You're right. Just looked at the play-by-play and Dirk didn't have a FG attempt in overtime. Duncan was 1-5 in OT.

Thompson
05-22-2012, 04:24 PM
You're right. Just looked at the play-by-play and Dirk didn't have a FG attempt in overtime. Duncan was 1-5 in OT.

Dirk got them to overtime though: when Duncan was trying to score at the end of regulation, Dirk hacked him across the forearms. It was a flagrantly obvious foul that the refs ignored ('let the players decide the game' BS - if you can tackle the other guy, you're not playing basketball anymore and the refs are deciding the game by NOT calling it).

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
I'm sure Andrew Bynum and Roy Hibbert could have a comparable "epic" showdown if given the opportunity. And history would reflect back with the same reverence.

MavDynasty
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Dirk got them to overtime though: when Duncan was trying to score at the end of regulation, Dirk hacked him across the forearms. It was a flagrantly obvious foul that the refs ignored ('let the players decide the game' BS - if you can tackle the other guy, you're not playing basketball anymore and the refs are deciding the game by NOT calling it).

If Manu didn't make a dumb shit decision and foul Dirk on an obvious dunk, Duncan would've never had to be in that position and then proceed to get owned by DeSagana mf'in Diop in OT.

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm sure Andrew Bynum and Roy Hibbert could have a comparable "epic" showdown if given the opportunity. And history would reflect back with the same reverence.

Get over those two Kobe choke jobs yet?

How does a professional basketball player, much less a supposed top 15 player of all time, singlehandedly fuck up two playoff games like that?

Incredible.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
05-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Top 7 all time.

Thompson
05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
If Manu didn't make a dumb shit decision and foul Dirk on an obvious dunk, Duncan would've never had to be in that position and then proceed to get owned by DeSagana mf'in Diop in OT.

Manu fouls Dirk with 7 seconds left: called.

Dirk fouls Duncan with 2 seconds left: swallow your whistle.

And that was only 1 of dozens of stupid calls/non-calls in that series. Others include fouling Duncan out of the game when Dirk stepped on Duncan's stationary foot, fouling Bowen out of a game when Terry jumped backwards into him, saying Duncan was in the restricted area when the replay showed his heel was a full 14 inches away from the line, etc. The irony of Mavs fans complaining about the calls in the '06 Finals is that bad calls got them there.

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Top 17 all time.

I agree.

With the likes of Karl Malone, another choker.

MavDynasty
05-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Manu fouls Dirk with 7 seconds left: called.

Dirk fouls Duncan with 2 seconds left: swallow your whistle.

And that was only 1 of dozens of stupid calls/non-calls in that series. Others include fouling Duncan out of the game when Dirk stepped on Duncan's stationary foot, fouling Bowen out of a game when Terry jumped backwards into him, saying Duncan was in the restricted area when the replay showed his heel was a full 14 inches away from the line, etc. The irony of Mavs fans complaining about the calls in the '06 Finals is that bad calls got them there.

That series was reffed pretty shitty but the Spurs still shot more free throws than the Mavs and Duncan shot more than Dirk IIRC. Manus foul happened with like 35 seconds left, not 7 and it was more blatant than Dirks foul on Duncan. His was in the middle of traffic right under the basket so it was harder to see. I'm not justifying the refs that possession or series because they were shitty all around. And Mav fans have a right to bitch about the 06 finals when one player shoots 96 free throws vs a team that shoots 99 over 6 games.

Leetonidas
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Top 7 all time.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1123731

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 04:58 PM

And so could Kobe Bryant and Dirk Nowitzki. Problem was, only one player decided to be "epic."

http://oi50.tinypic.com/25u4f2f.jpg

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Stats excite many a fanboy.

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Stats excite many a fanboy.

Rofl. The old cliched "stats don't tell the whole story" rebuttal. Although, I guess you're right. Kobe was much worse in that series than the stats suggest :lmao

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
05-22-2012, 05:09 PM
It's not a rebuttal. It's the truth. Faggots like you who never picked up a ball besides the ones you fondled in bathroom stalls love stats. I'm just pointing that out.

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
It's not a rebuttal. It's the truth. Faggots like you who never picked up a ball besides the ones you fondled in bathroom stalls love stats. I'm just pointing that out.

U mad, bro?

Y U Mad, tho?

midnightpulp
05-22-2012, 05:13 PM
History's so mad. Bet his face looks something like this right now:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1132648/lakersgm_medium.gif

Latarian Milton
05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
That series was reffed pretty shitty but the Spurs still shot more free throws than the Mavs and Duncan shot more than Dirk IIRC. Manus foul happened with like 35 seconds left, not 7 and it was more blatant than Dirks foul on Duncan. His was in the middle of traffic right under the basket so it was harder to see. I'm not justifying the refs that possession or series because they were shitty all around. And Mav fans have a right to bitch about the 06 finals when one player shoots 96 free throws vs a team that shoots 99 over 6 games.

do yall mavs fans still feel butthurt about 06' finals?

stretch
05-22-2012, 05:54 PM
:cry :cry :cry

shyne
05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Dirk just predicted spurs in 7, called pop best coach in league.

endrity
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Best series I have watched, by some distance as well. Except Game 2 all the other ones were absolute classics. Never have I seen two elite teams playing at an elite level against each other every single possession like that one.

The fact that the Mavs lost the Finals probably made the series look less good in the eyes of the media. If the Mavs had finished their job in Miami, everyone would have looked back at that series and seen it as the real finals. Regardless, for all intents and purposes it was the real finals. I don't think Miami were even close to being the best team that year but I don't wanna go there anymore, the Mavs got their title in 2011 and my wounds have vanished a bit.