PDA

View Full Version : "The Great Gatsby" and "The Master" Trailers Released

BRHornet45
05-22-2012, 10:58 PM
sons what are your thoughts? both are coming out later this year.

The Great Gatsby - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan

rARN6agiW7o

The Master - Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams

1WTM8eO1Oec

CubanSucks
05-22-2012, 11:22 PM
rARN6agiW7o

that looks AWFUL! I liked the novel and the first movie and I wanted to vomit 15 seconds into that trailer. The music..WHY that music?!

1WTM8eO1Oec

I'm interested and wanna find out more so the trailer worked

Technique
05-22-2012, 11:24 PM
I'd imagine it would be hard to actually make The Great Gatsby attractive by a trailer. Most people read the book so they know what they're going to get. The actors are definitely interesting.

Probably going to watch it cause of the DiCaprio factor.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
I'll see The Master just because of Paul Thomas Anderson and Jonny Greenwood.

Not sure that books like Gatsby will ever make good movies.

Trainwreck2100
05-23-2012, 01:51 AM
that gatsby trailer looks horrendous, the fact that the director did moulin rouge makes it look worse

MavDynasty
05-23-2012, 02:47 AM
If I cringed reading the great gatsby in HS,I'm certain no way in hell ima see that

redzero
05-23-2012, 03:02 AM
I never even read The Great Gatsby and I thought that that trailer looked off.

I will see The Master because PTA is great.

davidbowie
05-23-2012, 03:42 AM
the gatsby trailer is dogshit. it honestly looks like the worst movie of all time.

and completely opposite the master looks wonderful. wouldve seen it no matter what but now im hyped.

ididnotnothat
05-23-2012, 06:30 AM
I'd check out The Master for sure.

fevertrees
05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
throwing in bullshit "i play the record player" autotune hip hop music in a movie about the early 20th century....

CavsSuperFan
05-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I really connected with the book when I was in High School…No matter how hard I work, no matter how much money I save, no matter how handsome I am, Mother always makes it known that I am not good enough & I don’t belong… :bang

mrsmaalox
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I'll probably see Gatsby because I'll see any movie with either DiCaprio or Carey Mulligan. The trailer isn't appealing, and already Mulligan doesn't seem to be playing Daisy as shallow or vacant as we know the character is.

As have been pointed out above, the 2 most aggregious factors so far are the music and Baz Luhrmann.

The Master looks much better. Philip Seymour Hoffman always delivers, one can never lose with Joaquin Phoenix as either a depressed guy or a guy tortured by inner conflicts :lol

silverblk mystix
05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
On first glance, the Gatsby trailer seems horrible. I just wonder if the actors can save it.
The music appears to be a U2 song (Love is Blindness) done by -I don't know who?

I loved the book-but I wonder if this new approach will be a plus or a minus.

The Master- I don't feel like I want to see it based on that trailer.

JMarkJohns
05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
The Great Gatsby as I have always dreamed: With a shitty soundtrack of 100 years into the future and in Real-D 3D!

The Master looks very intriguing...

Summers
05-23-2012, 10:48 AM
1) How many incarnations of The Great Gatsby can we make? Then again, my take on it is colored by the fact that I didn't understand the book when I read it in high school. Maybe I should read it again.

2) Dang, Joaquin Phoenix can look fucking creepy when he tries.

Fpoonsie
05-23-2012, 12:22 PM
1) How many incarnations of The Great Gatsby can we make? Then again, my take on it is colored by the fact that I didn't understand the book when I read it in high school. Maybe I should read it again.

Lulz. That's EXACTLY what I took away from tha trailer: "Wait. WHAT was The Great Gatsby about again???"

I think I'm gonna re-read it -- it's been over a decade since I read it the first time -- and then decide if I wanna devote the time to whatever that movie's trying to "re-imagine."

TheTreeOfWoe
05-23-2012, 12:23 PM
and already Mulligan doesn't seem to be playing Daisy as shallow or vacant as we know the character is.

:lol how can you possibly already make this inference.

ChumpDumper
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Ack, Gatsby could be a real train wreck. A valid criticism of the Redford/Waterston movie is that it didn't really capture the energy of the jazz age, but putting Luhrman on the project is probably overcompensating -- especially if that's indicative of the music used throughout the movie.

MacGuire is still a lightweight and can't live down his k d lang impression from Spider Man 3. DiCaprio is a really good choice but why is he so sweaty all the time? Did they run out of powder? And from those short clips he just looks way more obviously obsessed than comes across in the book and definitely the Redford portrayal. Gatsby was an aloof but seemingly easygoing mystery to everyone until he opened up to Nick and later Daisy and Tom. Now anyone looking at him has to think Wow, that moist guy is sure preoccupied with something.

quentin_compson
05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Looks like another Gatsby-movie that misses the point of the book.

JoeChalupa
05-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I've still never read the book or seen any movie versions of it.

CuckingFunt
05-23-2012, 02:53 PM
MacGuire is still a lightweight and can't live down his k d lang impression from Spider Man 3.

Impression?

You mean Brothers wasn't about the time k.d. lang got PTSD and fucked up her marriage to Natalie Portman?

JoeChalupa
05-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Dang, I thought I was going to read a thesis from CF.

CuckingFunt
05-23-2012, 03:01 PM
The Great Gatsby looks every bit as horrible as a 3D adaptation sounded. I'll undoubtedly see it, though. With the exception of Moulin Rouge, which I genuinely like, there's something about Luhrmann's over-the-top horribleness that I find endlessly fascinating. I feel compelled to see the train wreck in all its glory.

Kind of like all the movies for which Luc Besson has a writing and/or producing credit in that way.

As for The Master, the trailer is entirely incidental. Paul Thomas Anderson is batting .1000 in my mind and is on the shortlist of directors to whom I will forever give my monies without hesitation.

Fpoonsie
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Tbh, I'm a fan of Moulin Rouge, too. But, and feel free to flame away, it's the music I enjoy moreso than the flamboyance of the film itself.

And assuming Gatbsy doesn't break out into song midway through, not sure I could enjoy this one as much.

JoeChalupa
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Now That is more like it. Not as deep though but still what I expected.

mrsmaalox
05-23-2012, 05:11 PM
MacGuire is still a lightweight and can't live down his k d lang impression from Spider Man 3.

"I can't explain why I've become Miss Chatelaine" :lol

ChumpDumper
05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
The Great Gatsby looks every bit as horrible as a 3D adaptation sounded. I'll undoubtedly see it, though. With the exception of Moulin Rouge, which I genuinely like, there's something about Luhrmann's over-the-top horribleness that I find endlessly fascinating. I feel compelled to see the train wreck in all its glory.Oh yeah, I'm sure some of the visuals during the 1920s rave parties are going to be pretty cool in 3D, so I'll suspend disbelief and credulity and taste and just soak in the ridiculousness for a matinee.

silverblk mystix
05-23-2012, 06:47 PM
I would have envisioned the 20's era done more in a way like Midnight in Paris did instead of the trailer polished look-but it does have decent actors in it so maybe it will surprise.

leemajors
05-25-2012, 11:32 AM
no thanks on a PTA scientology movie, even if Cruise had "issues" with it.

redzero
05-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Your loss, ZZ Top.

leemajors
05-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Your loss, ZZ Top.

I don't know what to think of PTA. I liked Boogie Nights the first time I saw it, then saw it again and didn't remember why I liked it. Other than that, the only movie of his I liked was There Will Be Blood.

Spur|n|Austin
05-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Anyone see Gatsby yet? I can't decide between GG and Star Trek for this weekend..

Fabbs
05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Anyone see Gatsby yet? I can't decide between GG and Star Trek for this weekend..
She got comped tickets plus we rolled it into a dinner date.
GG sucks royal ass.
Chose Star Trek all the way. Can't promise Star Trek will be good but it has to be better.

Spur|n|Austin
05-14-2013, 09:54 AM
She got comped tickets plus we rolled it into a dinner date.
GG sucks royal ass.
Chose Star Trek all the way. Can't promise Star Trek will be good but it has to be better.

Wow ok, didn't expect to hear it sucked royal ass, but good to hear. :tu

J.T.
05-14-2013, 09:55 AM
Wow ok, didn't expect to hear it sucked royal ass, but good to hear. :tu

Fabbs is one of the most culture challenged posters on this board. Gatsby didn't suck at all.

Though in a choice between Gatsby and Star Trek, I'd pick Star Trek too.

Phillip
09-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Just watched GG... What a load of ass. This movie sucked.

cantthinkofanything
09-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Just watched GG... What a load of ass. This movie sucked.

thanks Ebert

DMC
09-29-2013, 09:21 AM
GG was probably the most uninterested I've been at the outcome of a movie. I cannot believe someone actually remade this shit bomb.