PDA

View Full Version : Enjoy the ride

Jimcs50
05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
This quote by Spurs1990 made me realize something important.

If the spurs are gonna be beat, it'll happen with or without these praise columns.

The trick is to enjoy them now. In the moment.

Even if Spurs fall short this year, I can honestly say that I got a hell of a lot more out of this year than I dreamed possible. I am enjoying this ride every step of the way.

After last year's playoffs, I felt depressed and cheated, because I had high hopes up until the last 3 weeks of the season and I realized that the Spurs were not as good as I thought and their record indicated. I was sure at that point that the run was over, not just for the season, but the era of Duncan winning in the playoffs was over as well.:depressed

The last 3 months, my spirts have risen higher than they have in five years, because we Spurs fans have witnessed a renaissance. I would bet my last dollar that among us fans, there was not one of us that ever dreamed that our team would not only have best record in the NBA at this point of the season(58-16) but also have almost every NBA scribe singing our praises like they have never done so, even in our championship seasons.

I am eating this up, I am celebrating every victory like it's our last, I am reading every article about the Spurs, watching every live tv segment and video about our Spurs and I won't stop until their season is over.

I do not know how this transformation has occured so quickly, but it must be that Pop's philosophy has hit home to each player. This is about staying in the moment, not thinking about how great they are playing and not looking two steps ahead to the next quarter, the next game or the next round before they finish the one at hand. They are like a well oiled machine, so unselfish, so skilled, they are like cold blooded killers, killers of the other team's spirit and confidence.

Their attitude reminds me of a quote that fits Pop's philosophy:

" A noble soul is not one that can manage the highest flights, but the one that rises very little, and falls very little, but always dwells in a free, resplendent atmosphere and altitude."

If Spurs lose to Thunder,(I do not think they will) I will be sad for sure, but I experienced more enjoyment this year than I ever imagined, so I'll be good with it, I will better for the experience.

Thankyou Spurs

:toast

Ginofan
05-23-2012, 08:14 AM
The last 3 months, my spirts have risen higher than they have in five years, because we Spurs fans have witnessed a renaissance. I would bet my last dollar that among us fans, there was not one of us that ever dreamed that our team would not only have best record in the NBA at this point of the season(58-16) but also have almost every NBA scribe singing our praises like they have never done so, even in our championship seasons.

I love this! Renaissance is a great word for it! It feels exactly like 5 years ago, where I would record every single game, read every article, post like crazy on the forums...just couldn't get enough.

It's amazing to be a Spursfan right now...just feels plain awesome. :tu

timvp
05-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Sounds like someone hedged their bet.

Seriously, though, good post.

Jimcs50
05-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Sounds like someone hedged their bet.

Seriously, though, good post.

:p:

I did, and I feel dirty.

But if it is any consoltion, I bet another guy last night $50 on series and it pays double if there is a sweep.

:hat

100%duncan
05-23-2012, 08:36 AM
:cry

SpurinDallas
05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
To quote Doc Halliday in Tombstone, "The last charge of Wyatt Earp and his immortals."

Appreciate what we have here, people, and take it all in.

racm
05-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Bravo! :toast

I really think injuries have been the biggest issue for the team, particularly for the Balding Argentinian; otherwise the Spurs would have gotten their fifth championship by now.

JRHernandez88
05-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Hell yeah I feel the same way. I try not to set the bar at a championship or bust because then you miss the ride. Every game is unbelievable in this year playoffs. I've never seen us play this well. The breaks over now though it's time to see what we're really made of. :flag:

thispego
05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
The Spurs were good as their record indicated. It started when Duncan sprained his ankle. Things were shaking down the stretch after that.

But I still remember coming home from the Gym and tuning into the Suns game and checking the stats online and saw Ginobli with 3 minutes and it was Midway through the 2nd Quarter. I thought it was odd. And then at halftime they showed the replay and I was like "FUCK." I knew the Spurs where in trouble and when it came out he fractured his arm, I knew the Spurs were done last year. With a healthy Ginobili, I believe the Spurs could go all the way, without him, no way.

The thing Im glad about, it was the first time in 5 years that the Spurs were fully healthy going into the postseason. This stretch of bad luck reminded me of the 3 year run where the Spurs were injured every year going into the postseason after winning the title back in '99. Frustrating to say the least.

Right now, I am enjoying this run of play by the Spurs and I hope they bring another hardware back to SA this year.

You knew the spurs were done after the finals ended? you're real prophetic.

KaiRMD1
05-23-2012, 09:08 AM
I strongly agree, it has been a great couple of months to be a Spurs fan.

Jimcs50
05-23-2012, 09:37 AM
No, they diagnosed Ginobli with a hairline fractured 4 weeks before the Finals was over, but he was wearing full cast and usually that because it is something more serious than a hyperextended elbow. Either way, watch the replay again, his arm got bent backwards and it wasn't pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXK6WVcxYn8

This is what I saw when I came home and I was super pissed. I was like really, the last freakin game of the season.

That was how I felt in 2000, when TD had his meniscus tear in the Sacto game at end of the season. I knew right then that the Spurs would not be able to defend their title.

The Spurs are very fortunate to have their injury problems early in season this year, rather than late. If they can stay healthy for 8 more wins, they will have accomplished something that none of us Spurs fans even dreamed about this year.

The_Worlds_finest
05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
TL;DR; win or lose atleast fuck face jefferson is gone

thispego
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
No, they diagnosed Ginobli with a hairline fractured 4 weeks before the Finals was over, but he was wearing full cast and usually that because it is something more serious than a hyperextended elbow. Either way, watch the replay again, his arm got bent backwards and it wasn't pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXK6WVcxYn8

This is what I saw when I came home and I was super pissed. I was like really, the last freakin game of the season.

I recall not hearing about the arm being broken well after the playoffs ended, but whatevs. and yes, it was BS. Sours would have at least made it past grizzlies

thispego
05-23-2012, 10:26 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/23/ginobili-says-he-played-with-broken-arm-in-playoffs/
you were right, news came out before finals were over but the spurs were already done for the year when you heard the news and realized they were done for the year. :lol

BlackSilver
05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
This is about staying in the moment, not thinking about how great they are playing and not looking two steps ahead to the next quarter, the next game or the next round before they finish the one at hand. They are like a well oiled machine, so unselfish, so skilled, they are like cold blooded killers, killers of the other team's spirit and confidence.

Beautifully put. I agree. I did not expect them to be this good. But more importantly, I have truly enjoyed watching them, one game at a time. And I have reminded myself all year that as Spurs fans, we are So. Fugging. Spoiled. 15 straight years of going to the playoffs. 15 years of a winning road record. Unselfish stars. Unexpected contributors. Team ball. One day this era will end and we will be pining for a chance to get the 8th seed.

This time is wonderful. I almost wish they wouldn't sweep every damn series, because the wait between series is killing me.

Jimcs50
05-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Beautifully put. I agree. I did not expect them to be this good. But more importantly, I have truly enjoyed watching them, one game at a time. And I have reminded myself all year that as Spurs fans, we are So. Fugging. Spoiled. 15 straight years of going to the playoffs. 15 years of a winning road record. Unselfish stars. Unexpected contributors. Team ball. One day this era will end and we will be pining for a chance to get the 8th seed.

This time is wonderful. I almost wish they wouldn't sweep every damn series, because the wait between series is killing me.

I know Peter Holt is hating all this sweeping....

Peter: "Pop, could you please get me at least 3 home games in a freaking series"?

Pop: " Damn Peter, what can I do? Even I am surprised by this team winning so many in a row." "I think if we win the first 3 games this time, I will pull Timmy out of the game with another DNP OLD in game 4."

:p:

tesseractive
05-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Great post. I'll be disappointed if they don't win the title just because a team playing this well deserves a title. But either way, this has been an incredible run so far, and a ton of fun.

Spurs Brazil
05-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Great post Jimcs50

Since 2008 we not been alive to late May. It feels great

therealtruth
05-23-2012, 04:45 PM
If the Spurs play great defense like they did at Staples center I think they should be fine. We know the offense is elite they just need to be committed defensively.