PDA

View Full Version : Can Kawhi Leonard ever develop into a go-to player like Duncan is?

Outlier
05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Or is his ceiling a system role player who plays D, makes open shots but rarely creates for himself and other teammates?

Will he ever develop into a guy who shoots over people? Or a guy who gets the ball late in the game to close the game? He seems a little slow and his vertical looks short.

will_spurs
05-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Because there's nothing between a legend like Duncan and a system role player...

Add a bit of grey and we might have a discussion.

Dex
05-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Tough to say: I think the general assumption is that he will fit into the Bruce Bowen mold...i.e. gritty defender and excellent role player. Then again, Bruce was one of the greatest role players in the history of the league: he knew his job, did it to perfection, and that contributed to three championships and several runs. Even though he didn't have the star power of Tim, Tony, or Manu, he was still such an integral part of those teams that I think he rightfully became part of the Big 4.

As for Leonard, I could definitely see him falling into that category if he continues to develop his defensive skills. The real question mark is how he will develop offensively....his shooting has already much improved and been better than advertised. He needs to work on his ball-handling skills, but he has a knack for making the right decision. And he's definitely more athletic than I was expecting. If he can continue to develop his offensive game while maintaining his defensive tenacity, he could definitely become a star in the NBA, if not a go-to player.

Setting the bar at Duncan's level may be a little high, though. Players like Timmy come around once in a blue moon.

_jin
05-23-2012, 08:37 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3X-AX7lr6PiUWy4nDOKI2Vd_5hx_YB8mF4CmHEGASdoExAiuZHg

100%duncan
05-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I hope so. I really really do. But chances are, he won't.

racm
05-23-2012, 08:42 AM
He's a quick learner. Not only is he the first rookie to start for Pop in a long while, he's also managed to do it in a lockout-shortened season.

Sec24Row7
05-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Can he be a top 10 player of all time?

No.

8FOR!3
05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I think with him you've got a guy in the mold of a Gerald Wallace, Wilson Chandler, Shawn Marion. That's still a good bit of upside, I've never heard a team complain about that type of player.

Keepin' it real
05-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Well, there's a little something called the Western Conference Finals that I'm concerned about first. And after that, the NBA Finals.

Focus.

CitizenDwayne
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, there's a little something called the Western Conference Finals that I'm concerned about first. And after that, the NBA Finals.

Focus.
The WCF will be a HUGE challenge for Kwami. Ask me about his future after I see how he handles that

Fireball
05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Just make Kawhi a Bruce Bowen with a little more offense ...

FromWayDowntown
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
These sorts of questions remind me just how egregiously even Spurs fans underrate Tim Duncan.

Sec24Row7
05-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Just make Kawhi a Bruce Bowen with a little more offense ...

These sorts of questions remind me just how egregiously even Spurs fans underrate Tim Duncan.

And Bruce Bowen...

MR-Clutch
05-23-2012, 10:50 AM

Think he just meant more like the franchises number 1 go to guy that you build around rather than one of the goat.

Kuestmaster
05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I like the kid, a lot. But let's be serious... He won't be a go-to player.

Phenomanul
05-23-2012, 11:01 AM
The better question is: "Will Kawhi's future include an All-Star berth or an All-NBA selection?"...

The problem is that no one really knows how high his ceiling may grow...

Barring health issues and given his hustle, dedication, and character he will likely garner a couple of All-NBA Defense selections before it's all said and done...

SnakeBoy
05-23-2012, 11:43 AM
He can't develop into a Duncan like role, that is a player you can build a team around. It's probably better to ask if he can develop into a Manu like role and I would say maybe. Physically he has the ability to become much more of an offensive threat and for such a young guy he seems to have good bb iq and great work ethic...so maybe.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
He has little lift so he won't ever be a high flyer like Wallace or Spreewell. He needs to first develop a go to move like a step back or a fadeaway, as well as a post move. He just needs to keep it simple at first and improve year by year.

He won't ever be a star by being a Spur and having a Mount Rushmore countenance.

Let's just hope he helps us win a title. Whatever happens after that is gravy.

AlleyOopNazi
05-23-2012, 01:01 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/PTGPOD/176711-FB.jpg (http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/PTGPOD/176711-FB.jpg)

Sure!

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2012, 01:05 PM
that depends if pop gives him the green light to chuck and move himself up the offensive rotation....

the difference between him atm and the other young players is his got a feel for shot selection which one to take and attack when needed....his got a reliable jumper and ft %, would like to see him attack the rim more and get freebies at the line....he just like the piece of shit RJ he replaced, has all the talent in the world to be able to beat scrubs at his position when thinkn about ISO play

SnakeBoy
05-23-2012, 01:18 PM
He just needs to keep it simple at first and improve year by year.

I think we can count on that. That's the most impressive thing about him. He plays completely within himself, rare for a rook. Not that he has much choice with Pop around.

Slutter McGee
05-23-2012, 01:34 PM

Focus.

Yes, because my focus as a fan will help the team win.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

MaNu4Tres
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Loul Deng, yes. Very comparable. IMO

Tim Duncan? :lol

Roger Freemason Jr.
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
I hope he can become as good as Granger.

therealtruth
05-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I guess it depends on how well the Spurs develop players.

BlackSilver
05-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Because there's nothing between a legend like Duncan and a system role player...

Add a bit of grey and we might have a discussion.

:lmao