PDA

View Full Version : E. coli found in SA restaurant salsa

JudynTX
05-23-2012, 10:11 AM
SAN ANTONIO - One of the hottest foods in San Antonio is put to the test.

Between the raw ingredients and the necessary handling, there is certainly opportunity for bacteria to make it's way into freshly prepared salsa.

KSAT's Defenders sampled salsa at Casarita on Thousand Oaks, Las Palapas on Callaghan, Alamo Cafe's I-10 location, Don Pedro on Southwest Military and at Taco Cabana on Broadway.

At all but two locations, the salsa samples came back clean.

Tests revealed Taco Cabana's salsa to have more than 3,000 colony forming units per gram of coliform. A second sample at Taco Cabana came back worse with a coliform level of 79,000 CFUs per gram.

"That would be a high count. We would certainly want to look at that facility," said Metro Health Sanitation Services Manager Stephen Barscewski.

Barscewski said there is no specific level of CFU/gram that would be considered safe or acceptable.

"As the levels go up, we become concerned," Barscewski said.

"Obviously, we want to follow up on any kind of concern that's raised by the public or the media (and) make sure we are following the strict code set by the health department," said Taco Cabana's Chief Marketing Officer Todd Coerver.

Coerver said they reviewed several locations, including the one in question, and found that everyone is following procedure. He also noted the most recent inspection prior to the Defenders' testing produced a score of 97.

Alamo Cafe's samples also yielded greater than 3,000 cfu/gram, but more concerning was the presence of E. coli at 100 CFU/gram. A second sample at Alamo Cafe came back clean.

In an email response, management explained, "Our salsa is prepared fresh daily and tasted by all managers on duty to ensure it's quality and consistency. We take the health and safety of our customers very seriously."

In response to the Defenders' inquiry about acceptable levels of E. coli, the health department said no level of E. coli is acceptable.

"That would be a definite issue. Whenever you have E. coli present, it's an issue. We would certainly want to go out and have a look," said Barscewski.

The health department did follow up with both restaurants and while they didn't find any violations they found a couple of procedures at each place that prompted some recommendations.

http://www.ksat.com/news/E-coli-found-in-SA-restaurant-salsa/-/478452/13513578/-/wnan5cz/-/index.html

boutons_deux
05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
a few years ago, a local TV station collected lemon slices from serveral restaurants. many had e.coli.

employees with shit on their hands, not washing. yum yum.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Uh,oh. That's not good. Time to warm it up, meow.

I knew a person that got e. Coli poisoning and she was in the hospital for weeks. She was a waif and it got pretty bad before she pulled out of it.

mrsmaalox
05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't know how places like Taco Cabana, with self serve salsa bars, can NOT have a little e. coli going on.

JudynTX
05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I think this is how my hubby got sick. :(

E-Coli
05-23-2012, 10:35 AM
:bang

JudynTX
05-23-2012, 10:35 AM

get out poison!

mrsmaalox
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Oh dear, he has food poisoning now?

Sal Monella
05-23-2012, 11:10 AM

I know the feeling.

Blake
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM

I know the feeling.

All these type of trolls do is just win.

The_Worlds_finest
05-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Ha wow surprise surprise third world problems in San vato. I can't wait for a typhoid out break!

Bartleby
05-23-2012, 11:47 AM
a few years ago, a local TV station collected lemon slices from serveral restaurants. many had e.coli.

employees with shit on their hands, not washing. yum yum.

Yep. Lemon wedges in your water/tea can expose you to some nasty bacteria.

BlackSwordsMan
05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
My mom got sick from eating salsa from taco cabana. D=

robino2001
05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Uh,oh. That's not good. Time to warm it up, meow.

I knew a person that got e. Coli poisoning and she was in the hospital for weeks. She was a waif and it got pretty bad before she pulled out of it.

I got E. coli from the totinos pizza outbreak in 07/08 (whenever it was)... HORRIBLE experience! Taught me not to trust a $1 pizza anymore :lol

lefty
05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Fattening food + E.Coli :lol
San Antonio :lol

JudynTX
05-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Fuck Canada! :lol You get this shit up there too.

The Reckoning
05-23-2012, 01:18 PM
dont tell chuck

Blake
05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
I got E. coli from the totinos pizza outbreak in 07/08 (whenever it was)... HORRIBLE experience! Taught me not to trust a $1 pizza anymore :lol

Mmmm.... Totinos.

leemajors
05-23-2012, 01:34 PM

tbh they find E. Coli all the time on tomatoes.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-23-2012, 01:41 PM
dont tell chuck

:lol
he's gonna have a horrible stay there

lefty
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Fuck Canada! :lol You get this shit up there too.
http://www.dotgif.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DGDO_Junior_TurnAround.gif

JoeChalupa
05-23-2012, 02:56 PM
You gotta keep that salsa at the right temp. I've never gotten sick from e-coli or at least I don't think I have. My caca gets runny sometimes but that is about it.

bag of spinach
05-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Wash your veggies people.

baseline bum
05-23-2012, 03:07 PM
tbh they find E. Coli all the time on tomatoes.

No prob, since I like making my salsa with habaneros, onions, and cilantro. Or serranos, tomatillos, onion, and cilantro.

Nathan Explosion
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM

What I want to know is how you get E coli from a pizza that is cooked in an oven at 450F?

robino2001
05-23-2012, 03:50 PM
What I want to know is how you get E coli from a pizza that is cooked in an oven at 450F?

450F means nothing unless the food gets to temperature X. If I remember right, the temp for E. coli is ~70-75 C/~160F... You pop a totinos pizza in for what - 8 minutes? 11 minutes? Very easy to see how submerged/buried pepperoni might not have gotten to the magic temperature. Just like how can a hamburger have E. coli after 10 minutes on the grill... the outside might be cooked but the inside can easily rare/medium rare and be below that 160F.

And it is highly likely I was hungry enough to eat a pizza that was not 100% steaming hot :lol

AmericanPsycho
05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
never understood why anyone would go to fast food texmoundex when there is a plethora of actual texmex restaurants ar

Same reason anyone would go to a fast food burger place when there are plenty of great burger restaurants around?

leemajors
05-23-2012, 05:47 PM
No prob, since I like making my salsa with habaneros, onions, and cilantro. Or serranos, tomatillos, onion, and cilantro.

sounds good if you drop the soapy tasting cilantro.

baseline bum
05-23-2012, 05:47 PM
never understood why anyone would go to fast food texmoundex when there is a plethora of actual texmex restaurants ar

For the most part Taco Cabana can't really compete, but their chicken fajitas are the shit. Everything else is kind of meh, but they come proper on that one dish.

baseline bum
05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
sounds good if you drop the soapy tasting cilantro.

Sucks that you got the guero gene. :cry

That first one would be kind of bland without the cilantro too. And I can't imagine borracho beans without it.

mouse
05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Wash your veggies people.

That won't do much for those radioactive avocados from California