PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Meats

SpurinDallas
05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Have used a traditional smoker with offset firebox for years now to smoke brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. When smoking chicken and ribs, not too much work, but smoking a brisket wouldn't allow me to leave the house if I ever had to because you were constantly having to feed the coals with wood chunks, not to mention always having to make sure you are regulating the temperature.

This has me leaning towards buying an electric smoker. I know there is some maintenance involved, i.e. putting a couple of chunks of wood every other hour, but nowhere near what is involved with a traditional smoker. From what I hear and read, the food comes out just as good, just without all the work.

Any guys here use an electric smoker or have a preference either way?

Magua
05-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Have used a traditional smoker with offset firebox for years now to smoke brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. When smoking chicken and ribs, not too much work, but smoking a brisket wouldn't allow me to leave the house if I ever had to because you were constantly having to feed the coals with wood chunks, not to mention always having to make sure you are regulating the temperature.

This has me leaning towards buying an electric smoker. I know there is some maintenance involved, i.e. putting a couple of chunks of wood every other hour, but nowhere near what is involved with a traditional smoker. From what I hear and read, the food comes out just as good, just without all the work.

Any guys here use an electric smoker or have a preference either way?

your mom smokes my meat

Fpoonsie
cantthinkofanything joke in 3...2...1...

Fpoonsie
HA! Goddammit, Magua.

SpurinDallas
05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
cantthinkofanything joke in 3...2...1...

Magua beat you to it. :lol

The Reckoning
05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
ive had a few quality meat smokers in my day. wish i didnt take them for granted. shit was great.

SpurinDallas
05-23-2012, 03:18 PM
ive had a few quality meat smokers in my day. wish i didnt take them for granted. shit was great.

Would be nice to be able to set a brisket in the smoker and just leave it there without constantly having to eyeball the temperature and smoke

leemajors
05-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Would be nice to be able to set a brisket in the smoker and just leave it there without constantly having to eyeball the temperature and smoke

tbh electric smokers tend to steam the meat as much as smoke it, due to the water tray above the smoking element and chip basket. you can get around this by drilling a hole about the size of a cork in the top and keeping a cork in it unless you use it.

and you still have to keep an eye on it pretty consistently. i'd stick with what you got already, turns out better anyway.

Trill Clinton
05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
i agree with lee...just stick with what you've been using. either way it goes you're going to have to keep a close eye on it.

plus real men don't bbq with electric or gas grills.

Sportcamper
05-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Used an electric for years & it works just fine…I would recommend a propane smoker instead…The electrics draw a lot of current…I am in the process of setting up “Big Green Egg” knock off…Kamado grills are very efficient…

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsgX10kTTkjeVTrzedU0NVpQjPC_W7C wn68bGH3GU9nHQCDrCq_Q

SpurinDallas
i agree with lee...just stick with what you've been using. either way it goes you're going to have to keep a close eye on it.

plus real men don't bbq with electric or gas grills.

:lol I figured something like this was gonna come out

Saved By Zero
CC will tell you how its done.

Nathan Explosion
05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
:lol I figured something like this was gonna come out

Um, you do live in Texas.

cantthinkofanything
05-23-2012, 04:54 PM
yup

Do you ever smoke the meat after it's been browned?