PDA

View Full Version : Parker says Westbrook hasn't faced PG like him yet

ducks
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/parker-says-westbrook-hasnt-faced-202710696--nba.html;_ylt=Amxj4RQWrpXdkvZwjVOihSa8vLYF

parker is ready to play d:hat

spurspokesman
05-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Same thing can be said on other end. Hope parker backs it up which he is more than capable of doing. Let's do this.

Budkin
05-23-2012, 04:49 PM
I like the cockiness without talking trash.

Dex
05-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Do not like. Don't add fuel to the fire, Tony.

J.T.
05-23-2012, 05:00 PM
This is a brilliant gameplan by the Spurs because I don't necessarily think it was Parker's idea to say this. What you want to do to a young superstar is play off of the few negatives that come with youth, which is that feeling of invincibility and lack of humility. OKC isn't a shit talking team so I doubt they fire back hard at this, but the idea is to get into Westbrook's head with this comment. Make him think, "Man these old dogs really don't respect me, let me show 'em what's up."

Basically you want Westbrook to take these comments the wrong way and attempt to beat Parker head to head, whilst Parker will be trying to beat the Oklahoma City Thunder. I seriously doubt Parker gives two fucks who the other team's point guard is at this point.

Bartleby
05-23-2012, 05:03 PM
:lol

Parker trolling Westbrook. Hopefully Westbrook takes it personally and shoots even more than usual. The less the ball is in Durant's hands the better.

CGD
05-23-2012, 05:04 PM
It's not cockiness, just fact. The corpse of Kidd and Sessions, seriously?

Plus the statement for the article was probably taken out of context. Probably, the question was something like, "Is it true that Westbrook, in the previous series, has not had to face a PG with your characteristics?" To which Tony probably answered, "That is correct, it will be different than that of the Laker/Mavs series." People just trying to hype the series tbh.

That said, why the F do we have to wait so long. Bring it already!

justinandimcool
05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
lmao the media narrative is dangerous. in this case it's hilarious. lmao has anyone actually seen the interview. the question was "do you want to make RWB work harder on defense". Tony's answer was yeah we don't wanna be like Dallas or the Lakers their PG's aren't aggressive. He didn't even say what the article title says.

TDomination
05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have the full quote or know what he said exactly?

I'm curious to see what he said exactly.

In this article, the only quotes from tony are "it's not going to be like Dallas or the Lakers" and ''not as aggressive".

It could be taken out of context

justinandimcool
05-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Does anyone have the full quote or know what he said exactly?

I'm curious to see what he said exactly.

In this article, the only quotes from tony are "it's not going to be like Dallas or the Lakers" and ''not as aggressive".

It could be taken out of context

Nope, that's all he said. He never says what the headline says.

The question was "do you want to make RWB work harder defensively"

and Tony says yeah we dont wanna do what Dallas/LA did, they're not as aggressive, we wanna go at him.

Yahoo OBVIOUSLY wants to portray Tony in a villain like way and make put thoughts into people's heads and create bad blood that isn't there. Nevermind all the times Tony compliments RWB and OKC in that interview.

Dave_ET
05-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Parker trolling Westbrook. Hopefully Westbrook takes it personally and shoots even more than usual. The less the ball is in Durant's hands the better.

At first I didnt want Parker to fuel the fire, but I see it now. Perfect.

G-Nob
05-23-2012, 05:38 PM
First salvo. Please do not let this esculate to Mia/Ind and we have to worry about broken noses with Nick Collison's six hard fouls on a per game basis.

Blake
05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Didn't Westbrook face him during the regular season

dbreiden83080
05-23-2012, 05:47 PM
And Tony hasn't faced one like Westbrook either. His offense scares me. The D on Westbrook is the key to the series.. We can't have Durant and Westbrook both scoring 25 plus per game with a good %..

spurspokesman
05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
cp3?

I thought this before I posted my quote tbh. Cp3 is not as athletic and explosive as westbrook. The only pg I liken to westbrook is rose. Tp has his hands full.

justinandimcool
05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Pop will start off straight up but eventually we're gonna have to shorten the floor and throw doubles to get the ball out of their hands. When this happens we'll live with them chucking up 3's, but the bigs will have to step up and prevent layups.

DesignatedT
05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
I thought this before I posted my quote tbh. Cp3 is not as athletic and explosive as westbrook. The only pg I liken to westbrook is rose. Tp has his hands full.

Going against CP3 beats the hell out of going against a 40 year old Jason Kidd and Ramon Sessions/Steve Blake. That's what Tony was getting at. Tony also said that Westbrook is a lot more aggressive than CP3.

dbreiden83080
05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
cp3?

CP3 is a harder team matchup because of how well he creates for others. Westbrook is a great scorer that Tony is gonna have to D up on and get his on the other end..

DesignatedT
05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Green will help on Westbrook when Harden isn't in the game.

T Park
05-23-2012, 05:55 PM
IMO Green plays him and Parker hides out on Sefalosha.

PDXSpursFan
05-23-2012, 05:56 PM
I really hope Yahoo made up that story and TP didn't say that shit.

justinandimcool
05-23-2012, 05:57 PM

They twisted a quote and made up the headline. Tony complimented OKC 800 times then was asked "do you want to make Westbrook work hard defensively", and he said we wanna make them work as Dallas/LA's PG's weren't as aggressive. That's IT.

Yahoo clearly had an agenda with that headline.

Fpoonsie

Nope, that's all he said. He never says what the headline says.

The question was "do you want to make RWB work harder defensively"

and Tony says yeah we dont wanna do what Dallas/LA did, they're not as aggressive, we wanna go at him.

Yahoo OBVIOUSLY wants to portray Tony in a villain like way and make put thoughts into people's heads and create bad blood that isn't there. Nevermind all the times Tony compliments RWB and OKC in that interview.

Jesus. Just look up.

DesignatedT

He said it in the practice videos. You can go watch it on spurs.com. It wasn't a knock on anybody, just the facts. Westbrook hasn't had to expend any energy on the defensive side of the ball the last 2 series going against a 40 year old and two scrubs.

Malice
05-23-2012, 05:58 PM
TP dropping truth bombs. Now. Back that shit up game one son.

justinandimcool
05-23-2012, 06:00 PM
He said it in the practice videos. You can go watch it on spurs.com. It wasn't a knock on anybody, just the facts. Westbrook hasn't had to expend any energy on the defensive side of the ball the last 2 series going against a 40 year old and two scrubs.

He never says what the headline says. Which is blackboard/cockiness material. "We're more aggressive than Dallas/LAL is at PG and want to make Russ work" is not.

spurspokesman
05-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Going against CP3 beats the hell out of going against a 40 year old Jason Kidd and Ramon Sessions/Steve Blake. That's what Tony was getting at. Tony also said that Westbrook is a lot more aggressive than CP3.

I catch your point DT but we can make a case for westbrook being a tougher matchup for parker because westbrook in iso is a more of a nightmare than cp3 due to his athleticism. He can basically rise up over parker for nearly uncontested shots. But to your point parker has faced way stiffer comp thus far in conley and cp3 than sessioons and kidd.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd be surprised if this article happened without the FO approval. This seems so contrary to how the FO works. My plan was to bait RW into a shoot out...this would play right into that. I'm going to say brilliant move for the moment until we know more.

Fpoonsie
05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
He never says what the headline says. Which is blackboard/cockiness material. "We're more aggressive than Dallas/LAL is at PG and want to make Russ work" is not.

Yep.

dmon35
05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Parkers statements were not taken outta context, but seriously over blown... Parkers not calling him out. He's just stating the obvious.....

lefty
05-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Damn, Parker is really badass this season

capek
05-23-2012, 07:09 PM

To adapt a quote from 'Lil Wayne, "Tony don't go around fire expectin' not to sweat." :ihit

Keepin' it real
05-23-2012, 07:20 PM

My goodness, you all are a bunch of pussies, afraid about what Parker said or might have said. And yesterday's posts from ST members squeamish about positive press when the Spurs were compared to the '80s Celtics. Here's a tip:

Grow a pair.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://politicalvindication.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/big-brass.jpg&sa=X&ei=p369T_j3N4iFsgKIr-wc&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGGcVJAry3bgNxryizufxIupbhRKw

Russo21
05-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Like the swagger from Tony. Now to back that shit up. I think hanging out with Stephen Jackson is rubbing off on Tony. Even though Jax has played shit lately ever since he joined the team he's added the 'swagger factor' which seems to be contagious. It's good shit. Just back your words up and play like your the best PG in the NBA Mr Parker.

Durant 35
05-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Neither has Parker...

SA210
05-24-2012, 01:41 AM
My goodness, you all are a bunch of pussies, afraid about what Parker said or might have said. And yesterday's posts from ST members squeamish about positive press when the Spurs were compared to the '80s Celtics. Here's a tip:

Grow a pair.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://politicalvindication.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/big-brass.jpg&sa=X&ei=p369T_j3N4iFsgKIr-wc&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGGcVJAry3bgNxryizufxIupbhRKw

timvp
05-24-2012, 01:48 AM
That's about the most obvious statement one can make. The corpse of Kidd and Ramon Sessions aren't even in the same galaxy of Parker. I don't really understand what offense Westbrook could take to that comment.

And, tbh, if Westbrook wants to react by shooting more and passing less to Durant, that's fine.

gilmor
05-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Neither has Parker...

I think Paul is a better point guard than brook..

Kidd K
05-24-2012, 01:58 AM

Why? Would you also be angry if Tony said, "Kobe won't score 30+ on us", and goaded Kobe into jacking up 35+ terrible shots to attempt to prove him wrong?

The more Westbrook forces up shots the better imo. He'd be taking possessions away from Harden and more importantly away from Durant. I'd prefer that tbh. Maybe he'll charge more too.

Neither has Parker...

Chris Paul is better than Russell Westbrook. Paul got shut down, BIGTIME. Before you even think to mention "played hurt", Paul himself said it wasn't serious and didn't effect his game at all.

PublicOption
05-24-2012, 03:11 AM

Grow a pair.

Why be so scared. Prove that shit on the floor. More often than not our guys do it.

Rapper
05-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Yes Parker is damn right

TP will show westbrook what a top PG is

therealtruth
05-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Why? Would you also be angry if Tony said, "Kobe won't score 30+ on us", and goaded Kobe into jacking up 35+ terrible shots to attempt to prove him wrong?

The more Westbrook forces up shots the better imo. He'd be taking possessions away from Harden and more importantly away from Durant. I'd prefer that tbh. Maybe he'll charge more too.

Chris Paul is better than Russell Westbrook. Paul got shut down, BIGTIME. Before you even think to mention "played hurt", Paul himself said it wasn't serious and didn't effect his game at all.

Paul's good but not as explosive as Westbrook. Paul also looks to get his team involved more while Westbrook is needed to score for the Thunder.

will_spurs
05-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Neither has Parker...

Yeah, right. At Westbrook's age, Parker already had 2 rings and had gone toe to toe with both Kidd and Payton in the playoffs (among others). Just sayin' :hat

FreeMad Dan
05-24-2012, 08:18 AM
It's gonna come down to experience. OKC beat up on some weaker teams which is what they were expected to do. Playing SA will definitley be a different experience for their whole team. We shouldn't take them lightly, but we definitly shouldn't being shaking in our boots either.

MI21
05-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Can't believe people think the front office is behind Parker saying something like this.

This wasn't even controversial, but it's like some of you have never listened to a Tony Parker interview before. The guy is very candid and pretty damn honest.

cheguevara
05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
both will cancel each other out. next.

Spurfect21
05-24-2012, 10:34 AM
This was a topic on first take today. I wouldn't be surprised if tony was told to put a little fire under westbrooks ass. Skip made a great point that Westbrook could definitely be getting baited to try and "prove himself" in a battle with tony. He will put up 30 shots while KD only shoots 20. Playing right into our hands. Taking this even a step further...He's called CIA pop for a reason and we will NEVER know, but that could have come from Pop. Westbrook is fueled by his emotion and Pop is smart enough to use that against him. But if that's true, nobody will ever know. :nope

ducks
05-24-2012, 10:45 AM
if you listened the postgame interview with tnt and westbrook
westrook said mentailly he would and hten harden and durrant would have to play tough
he then said they won several games in a row have not lost in awhile
spurs may not be thinking about the streak but the other teams are

ducks
05-24-2012, 10:46 AM
experience is not the reason spurs will beat them
lakers had more experience then thunder but lost

SenorSpur
05-24-2012, 10:54 AM

That's what I was thinking too. Now, I would imagine Westbrook will most certainly shadow Parker on the defensive end. If so, he will have his hands full.

Russ
05-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Looks like Parker (the Spurs) are trying to get into Westbrook's head -- because he's so good (and fragile) he could be the Achilles heel of OKC.

What I actually see happening is a bum rush of double teams coming at Westbrook, from front and back, to try to strip him and frustrate him. Parker and Green, and then Manu, will double him. The Spurs will bet that Leonard can hold down the fort straight up on Durant and double Westbrook big time.

That's my guess, anyway.

OKC Thunderstorm
05-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Neither has Parker...

Amen, brother. We gonna steal one of these first 2 in the "210". Sweep games 3 and 4. Lose 5 and close out the sperms in 6. They won't even know what hits them. Spurs long overdue for a bad break game they slip just once and we got this.

Parker is in for a rude awakening.

will_spurs
05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Parker is in for a rude awakening.

Parker's got his rude awakening 10 years ago. Westbrook on the other hand...

ViceCity86
05-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Parker's way of subconciously getting into Westbrooks head.Skip Bayless brought this topic on First Take.You know Westbrick was watching.Expect Russell to chuck 30 shots in game 1 about 10 more shots than Durant.

CIA Pop and Spurs PR working magic.

timtonymanurich
05-24-2012, 11:21 AM
And Tony hasn't faced one like Westbrook either. His offense scares me. The D on Westbrook is the key to the series.. We can't have Durant and Westbrook both scoring 25 plus per game with a good %..

I'm not that worried about this. Pop & CO were able to effectively limit/shut down Chris Paul. I understand he may not have been at 100% But Paul was moving pretty well out there.

Tony KNOWS what the F*CK he's doing. Tactful trash talk. WestBRICK BETTER bring his 'swing'.

Tony's BROUGHT his.

OKC Thunderstorm
05-24-2012, 11:26 AM
cant wait for sunday Ill be here watching the meltdown. Should be a great time.

I do admit Spurs do remind me of the 80's Celts, but they lost too. sometimes the other team is just better. And my Thunder will prove that come Sunday.

xellos88330
05-24-2012, 11:31 AM

I do admit Spurs do remind me of the 80's Celts, but they lost too. sometimes the other team is just better. And my Thunder will prove that come Sunday.

Will you still be here if the Thunder lose? :wakeup

benefactor
05-24-2012, 11:48 AM

that's nice

Mugen
05-24-2012, 11:51 AM

I'm just happy that Dial Up is finally available in OKC. Welcome to the Internet. :toast

OKC Thunderstorm
05-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm just happy that Dial Up is finally available in OKC. Welcome to the Internet. :toast

SAS talking crap, i have been to San antone. Beaners galore, fat chicks and way too hot. That place is a dump south of 281 and 1604.

Stone oak area and La cantera is nice. SV also has a nice HS football team. the rest of the city is just as dumpy as OKC tbh ... Oh, HEB is a nice store.

Mugen
05-24-2012, 12:13 PM
SAS talking crap, i have been to San antone. Beaners galore, fat chicks and way too hot. That place is a dump south of 281 and 1604.

Stone oak area and La cantera is nice. SV also has a nice HS football team. the rest of the city is just as dumpy as OKC tbh ... Oh, HEB is a nice store.

Not in San Antonio.

Never been to OKC but I assume it's horrible. They've got a solid team tho.

Spurfect21
05-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Lmfao beaners galore! Racist as fuck but kinda funny that you freely put that like a casual part of your argument lmao. Further stereotypes where u come from. Now when you tell us how you and your first cousins wedding reception went we will know your true Oklahoma roots :toast

Kidd K
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Paul's good but not as explosive as Westbrook. Paul also looks to get his team involved more while Westbrook is needed to score for the Thunder.

And Westbrook shoots 37% lifetime vs Parker. Therefore his scoring isn't even a threat. The fact that his passing ability is so mediocre makes it even more of a wash since he won't be able to impact the game that positively as he won't score well and clearly won't be a threat passing the ball.

Parker's main concern will be to not allow him to catch hail mary passes on fast breaks for cherry picked baskets. If Westbrook doesn't get any of those and Parker keeps him off the line, his "scoring efficiency" drops through the floor. He's mediocre in the half court.

GrandeDavid
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Spurs 8-2 against Thunder last ten games. Spurs smoked Thunder in San Antonio. Spurs solidly beat Thunder in OKC. What were you saying again?

GrandeDavid
05-24-2012, 12:38 PM
And Westbrook shoots 37% lifetime vs Parker. Therefore his scoring isn't even a threat. The fact that his passing ability is so mediocre makes it even more of a wash since he won't be able to impact the game that positively as he won't score well and clearly won't be a threat passing the ball.

Parker's main concern will be to not allow him to catch hail mary passes on fast breaks for cherry picked baskets. If Westbrook doesn't get any of those and Parker keeps him off the line, his "scoring efficiency" drops through the floor. He's mediocre in the half court.

I couldn't agree more. Spurs should win this series in about five.

GrandeDavid
05-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Btw, this is not a true OKC fan. This is a troll trying to make OKC fans look worthless.

thunderfan
05-24-2012, 12:41 PM
What's up guys? From OKC here. Been a big fan since the team relocated. I like to view other forums sometimes, especially during playoffs. Always good to get other viewpoints and I'm neither a trash talker or a troll.

You guys are right, RW is in for a rude awakening relative to who he has defended in these playoffs in guys like Sessions, Blake, Kidd. SA hasn't really lost in 2 months and its easy to see why with a very sharp and savvy guy like Parker, a very smart and savvy (even if past prime) Duncan, and about 5 guys who can light it up from 3 point range. Pick your poison. The penetration and then ability to find open looks from deep (thus the highest 3 pt % in the NBA) is somewhat of a problem for any opponent, to say the least. I felt strongly that OKC was a better team than both Dallas and LA (as it showed), but it's really difficult, even being very optimistic, to see them as a better team than SA.

z0sa
05-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Exactly. +1

spursfan09
05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
What's up guys? From OKC here. Been a big fan since the team relocated. I like to view other forums sometimes, especially during playoffs. Always good to get other viewpoints and I'm neither a trash talker or a troll.

You guys are right, RW is in for a rude awakening relative to who he has defended in these playoffs in guys like Sessions, Blake, Kidd. SA hasn't really lost in 2 months and its easy to see why with a very sharp and savvy guy like Parker, a very smart and savvy (even if past prime) Duncan, and about 5 guys who can light it up from 3 point range. Pick your poison. The penetration and then ability to find open looks from deep (thus the highest 3 pt % in the NBA) is somewhat of a problem for any opponent, to say the least. I felt strongly that OKC was a better team than both Dallas and LA (as it showed), but it's really difficult, even being very optimistic, to see them as a better team than SA.

:toast

Look OKC is a great team. A Team of the future for sure, so just let us have this year. One last Hurrah! :lobt2: