PDA

View Full Version : Who here does what they love to do?

TDuncan4
05-23-2012, 10:28 PM
So that thread I started about high pay/high stress vs. low pay/low stress had some people say the solution is to find what you're passionate about, what you love to do.

I googled that and found this helpful article
http://briankim.net/blog/2006/07/how-to-find-what-you-love-to-do/ which has given me some ideas to pursue.

The whole starving artist fear comes into play though. If you do what you love, are you able to survive? How long did it take to make a livable income? Do you think it was worth it in the end?

I feel like I'm on a road with two paths in front of me. I need all the advice I can get.

I masterbate
05-23-2012, 10:32 PM
I do.

Reck
05-23-2012, 10:42 PM
I like what I'm doing right now.

I'm into the insurance business.

Work with my sister and brother-in-law as an insurance agent.

Not the most exciting line of work but it does have its advantages.

Flexible hours, 2 days off and get pay even when not working.

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2012, 10:49 PM
sometimes even ur passionate shit like crafty shit u do with hobbies dont even earn well...

building computers operate on lowest margin that u barely see any profits unless you move volumes...

DarkReign
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Love my job. Absolutely love it.

Very small auto parts supplier with large enough contracts to work crazy hours and everyone from the top down makes a damn good living with no prior skills required (besides counting to 100 and being able to read a scale (ruler for the kids)).

Avante
05-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Who wouldn't love retirement? Especially when you make more $$$$$ than you did while working. How cool is that?

silverblk mystix
05-25-2012, 10:54 AM
So that thread I started about high pay/high stress vs. low pay/low stress had some people say the solution is to find what you're passionate about, what you love to do.

http://briankim.net/blog/2006/07/how-to-find-what-you-love-to-do/ which has given me some ideas to pursue.

The whole starving artist fear comes into play though. If you do what you love, are you able to survive? How long did it take to make a livable income? Do you think it was worth it in the end?

I feel like I'm on a road with two paths in front of me. I need all the advice I can get.

Are you under the impression that this will bring happiness?

What happens if you rearrange your whole world to do this and you find out that it didn't work?

These are questions that, IMO, should be pondered before trying to rearrange your world because somewhere you were told that it would make you happy.

What if you succeed in doing this and then at the end you discover that it wasn't really your real love? You chose to be an artist and succeeded and then find yourself hating your art?

You chose to sell widgets and then sold a million of them and then discovered that selling is not satisfying or fulfilling?

These are things to ponder on before going on a quest and wasting all your energy and half your life getting there.

Slomo
05-25-2012, 11:27 AM
I do.

I've been credit free since the age of 32 (and even before that I owed very little to the banks) and it have given me the flexibility to make career choices based on my personal preferences - it has worked out very well for me. But I'll be the first to admit I got lucky quite a few times and didn't always know what I was doing.

That's the best advice i can give you.

GoodOdor
05-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I chose my major in college based on how easily I'll be able to get a job when I graduate/how much I'll get paid - however, I lucked out and I really do like what I'm doing.

SA210
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
You must do what you love. No regrets in the future. Follow your dreams. Make em happen.

:tu

cantthinkofanything
05-25-2012, 01:25 PM
and if you can't be with the one you love, Honey, love the one you're with

Goran Dragic
05-25-2012, 01:26 PM

What happens if you rearrange your whole world to do this and you find out that it didn't work?

These are questions that, IMO, should be pondered before trying to rearrange your world because somewhere you were told that it would make you happy.

What if you succeed in doing this and then at the end you discover that it wasn't really your real love? You chose to be an artist and succeeded and then find yourself hating your art?

You chose to sell widgets and then sold a million of them and then discovered that selling is not satisfying or fulfilling?

These are things to ponder on before going on a quest and wasting all your energy and half your life getting there.

Is checking large black men for drug paraphernalia something you love doing tbh

silverblk mystix
05-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Simple minds think in simplistic ways.

tlongII
05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I like what I do. I make good money at a large corporation. There's a fair amount of stress, but after 20 years I'm used to it.

PakiDan
05-25-2012, 05:46 PM
I run a company that develops video games. I am the CSO and VP. I love my job.

MavDynasty
05-25-2012, 05:52 PM

:lmao

ashbeeigh
05-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I love my job. It's consistently rated as one of the most stressful love paying jobs (social work) but I think I'm pretty good at it and its fun. I may not be able to buy a brand new house or a BMW by the time I'm thirty, but I'll have a Masters and hopefully be able to find a job with the background anywhere in the United States.

Xevious
05-25-2012, 09:58 PM
A job/career is means to an end. There are things I'd rather do, sure. But I have job security, a flexible schedule, and a nice salary. My family and I live very comfortably.

The nicest thing about my job is that it doesn't come home with me. When I'm at home, I'm with my family. And while my work is never boring, there are plenty of opportunities to change directions if I feel the need.

koriwhat
05-27-2012, 04:55 AM
tattooing... it's the best and no doubt one of the least stressful and more enjoyable jobs out there.

where else can you sit around, draw, and shoot the shit until the flood of people come in to get your art on their bodies? plus, if we don't want to tattoo at the time, we don't have to. also, if someone is being a dick, we can tell them to get the fuck out of the shop and not get reprimanded for doing so.

where's all my haters at btw? man, it's been bliss not coming to this site much anymore and being more involved in something that not only pays well but brings me much joy.

Goran Dragic
05-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Simple minds think in simplistic ways.
:lol wrong. Simple minds become prison guards and think they're actually contributing to society.

Sportcamper
05-27-2012, 09:20 AM
I've been credit free since the age of 32 (and even before that I owed very little to the banks)

That's admirable but in Cali (and in this economy) there really is no benefit to being credit free…Car loans can be had @ 0% to 0.9%...Home loans under 4%...Emergency loans @ 3% to 7%...

ashbeeigh
05-27-2012, 09:42 AM
That's admirable but in Cali (and in this economy) there really is no benefit to being credit free…Car loans can be had @ 0% to 0.9%...Home loans under 4%...Emergency loans @ 3% to 7%...

He's in Europe.

rascal
05-27-2012, 09:48 AM

How about doing something you don't like to do with barely a livable income like I do.

A loser will have a job he hates going to, that also pays bad.

The Reckoning
05-27-2012, 09:53 AM
How about doing something you don't like to do with barely a livable income like I do.

A loser will have a job he hates going to, that also pays bad.

The Reckoning
05-27-2012, 09:56 AM
hands down rascal is the eeyore of the forum now.

rascal
05-27-2012, 09:58 AM
hands down rascal is the eeyore of the forum now.

What is eeyore?

Sportcamper
05-27-2012, 10:00 AM
He's in Europe.

I know that…I also know that you are very cute….

The Reckoning
05-27-2012, 10:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeyore

rascal
05-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Never had any interest in Winnie The Pooh. I didn't realize it was as old as it was.
Thought it was more modern, 1970s as the earliest.

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 10:22 AM
:lol wrong. Simple minds become prison guards and think they're actually contributing to society.

Wrong. Simple minds still believe that something outside of you will bring you happiness and live under this illusion until the day they die.
Simple minds also believe that something outside of them can bring them unhappiness and live under this illusion until the day they die.
So they live the life of a puppet being pulled this way and that way until they die.

rascal
05-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Wrong. Simple minds still believe that something outside of you will bring you happiness and live under this illusion until the day they die.
Simple minds also believe that something outside of them can bring them unhappiness and live under this illusion until the day they die.
So they live the life of a puppet being pulled this way and that way until they die.

Most of us are puppets that get pulled along by superiors on the job.

The Reckoning
05-27-2012, 10:30 AM
damn rascal you need to start being an alcoholic

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Most of us are puppets that get pulled along by superiors on the job.

If you choose to let outside events or people or conditions pull you into feeling a certain way and accept it- then yes.

Blake
05-27-2012, 10:36 AM
I make fun of Pop haters and calf tattoos.

I love what I do.

rascal
05-27-2012, 10:36 AM
If you choose to let outside events or people or conditions pull you into feeling a certain way and accept it- then yes.

That is life if you work for others.

You do what you are told(pulled around by others decisions) if you don't or even question it you will have to face negative consequences, low pay raises or fired. Then have to look for another job where it is not any different.

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 10:40 AM
That is life if you work for others.

You do what you are told(pulled around by others decisions) if you don't or even question it you will have to face negative consequences, low pay raises or fired. Then have to look for another job where it is not any different.

You are talking about doing your job and following orders. I understand.

I was referring to the thinking that a job/career or other people determine if you are happy or unhappy.

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 10:41 AM
I make fun of Pop haters and calf tattoos.

I love what I do.

I make fun of Cucks.

I love what I do.

Blake
05-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I make fun of Cucks.

I love what I do.

You like to lie.

It's what you do.

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 11:03 AM
You like to lie.

It's what you do.

A Popsucking Cuck!

ashbeeigh
05-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Here's the Winnie the Pooh reference. - http://jinavie.tumblr.com/post/4106928136/psychiatric-disorders-depicted-by-winnie-the-pooh I'm not sure how accurate it is though.

koriwhat
05-27-2012, 02:21 PM
I make fun of Cucks.

I love what I do.

Lol! I wonder how soiled his couch is with his tears as he sat back and allowed his girl to get a train run on her.

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Lol! I wonder how soiled his couch is with his tears as he sat back and allowed his girl to get a train run on her.

Well, unless he actually enjoyed watching someone going ballz deep in her...hey...whatever makes you happy. I don't judge.

mavs>spurs
05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
It's no worse than enjoying watching a prisoner going balls deep in another prisoners asshole, you have no room to judge

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
It's no worse than enjoying watching a prisoner going balls deep in another prisoners asshole, you have no room to judge

Exactly. If it was you getting butt-slammed I would just walk by and say,"I guess it is consensual" and allow you your freedom to enjoy it.

Goran Dragic
05-27-2012, 05:18 PM
lol the prison guard and tattoo artist jerking each other off

doesn't get more white trash than that :lol

MavDynasty
05-27-2012, 05:19 PM
What's the story on the Blake cucokld? I see it more and more often now from different posters. Is there a thread?

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 05:31 PM
What's the story on the Blake cucokld? I see it more and more often now from different posters. Is there a thread?

It is not pretty. I recommend you forget about it. Some things can't be unseen.

mavs>spurs
05-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Exactly. If it was you getting butt-slammed I would just walk by and say,"I guess it is consensual" and allow you your freedom to enjoy it.

You also have no room to judge gays considering your job is a bit homoerotic in nature.

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 05:46 PM
You also have no room to judge gays considering your job is a bit homoerotic in nature.

Exactly. I don't judge you...er...gays. Whatever you do with your orifice(s) is your business.

mavs>spurs
05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
gay jokes are par the course among prison guards and hs drop outs

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 06:40 PM
gay jokes are par the course among prison guards and hs drop outs

Hope I didn't offend your sensibilities and I hope the next time you swallow a cock you are not distracted.

GoodOdor
05-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Hope I didn't offend your sensibilities and I hope the next time you swallow a cock you are not distracted.

Seriously though, you never answered the question - do you enjoy performing cavity searches on inmates?

rascal
05-27-2012, 10:19 PM

This thread has gone in the tank with posts like this from young punks like this.

silverblk mystix
05-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Seriously though, you never answered the question - do you enjoy performing cavity searches on inmates?

Due to lawyers and lawsuits cavity searches are not allowed here unless there is reason to believe that an inmate has a weapon in one of his orifices.

So thanks to lawyers-if one does have a weapon up his rectum and he kills an officer or other inmates--it is just something that we have to accept.

Lawyers made sure that inmates rights are protected. Even if others die because of it.

GoodOdor
05-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Due to lawyers and lawsuits cavity searches are not allowed here unless there is reason to believe that an inmate has a weapon in one of his orifices.

So thanks to lawyers-if one does have a weapon up his rectum and he kills an officer or other inmates--it is just something that we have to accept.

Lawyers made sure that inmates rights are protected. Even if others die because of it.

So in other words, you only finger a prisoners butthole when you really have to?

Goran Dragic
05-28-2012, 07:54 AM

You seem really angry about not being able to do cavity searches anymore :lmao

silverblk mystix
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
You seem really angry about not being able to do cavity searches anymore :lmao

The safety of my guys is what is important. Your gay fantasies are a different subject altogether.

TDuncan4
05-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Hmmm.Good point. The thing is, I won't know until I try right? And if it turns out it didn't make me happy, at least I'll know rather than wonder my whole life.

TDuncan4
05-30-2012, 05:54 PM
I do.

I've been credit free since the age of 32 (and even before that I owed very little to the banks) and it have given me the flexibility to make career choices based on my personal preferences - it has worked out very well for me. But I'll be the first to admit I got lucky quite a few times and didn't always know what I was doing.

That's the best advice i can give you.
That's awesome! Being debt free definitely helps. Too many people are chained to their jobs because of debt.

TDuncan4
05-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I love my job. It's consistently rated as one of the most stressful love paying jobs (social work) but I think I'm pretty good at it and its fun. I may not be able to buy a brand new house or a BMW by the time I'm thirty, but I'll have a Masters and hopefully be able to find a job with the background anywhere in the United States.
Wow! Respect for you. I know a guy who was a social worker but he burned out because of the stress. You must be made of stronger stuff!

TDuncan4
05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
A job/career is means to an end. There are things I'd rather do, sure. But I have job security, a flexible schedule, and a nice salary. My family and I live very comfortably.

The nicest thing about my job is that it doesn't come home with me. When I'm at home, I'm with my family. And while my work is never boring, there are plenty of opportunities to change directions if I feel the need.If I had to get a job, this would be the kind of job I would want to get. I hate bringing my work home. Kudos to you for finding this kind of work.

TDuncan4
05-30-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm a trust fund kid. :depressed

never found my true calling

I drown my misery in Cristal and cocaine :depressed
Don't know if you're joking or not. If you're not, I wonder how many other trust fund kids feel this way. Keep your head up! Find what you're good at and see what kind of need you can fill with it.

TheMACHINE
05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
i love what i do..thats why im always on spurstalk and gaming from work.

silverblk mystix
05-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Hmmm.Good point. The thing is, I won't know until I try right? And if it turns out it didn't make me happy, at least I'll know rather than wonder my whole life.

You could do that.

But why waste your whole life chasing something and hope that it leads to happiness?

There is a different way.

Start from the inside and figure out how you were put together and where did the idea of finding happiness outside of you come from? Find out how you were programmed (all of us were-in one way or another) and find out why you swallowed this idea and accepted it as fact.

Everyone has a list. A list of things that you were told you needed to be happy.

A great career, a great education, an attractive partner, money,god,fame,success,etc....

Which particular ones are on your list? Or mine? Or his? Or hers?

What I am telling you is probably the opposite of what you were told and the opposite of what all of us were told.

Which is easier- trying to carpet the entire planet or just finding a comfortable pair of shoes?

People don't want to hear this-they would rather keep trying to rearrange the world to suit their desires (their list) than to do the work of re-programming themselves.

In the east there are people who do not understand how Americans hate their jobs and how they wait for their vacations or their day off to enjoy their life. They think that it is insane to spend half their lives hating something.

If you have ever read anything on Zen or Buddhism you will invariably see the Zen master assigning the student to pull weeds, wash dishes, do manual labor-
there is a reason.

They are teaching the students how to be in the present moment and how EVERY moment of their life is just as important as the next one. There aren't REGULAR moments (working) and SPECIAL moments (vacations, thrills, escaping reality by seeking distraction and thrills and seeking to fulfill desires) ---EVERY moment is the same---ALL OF THEM ARE EQUALLY IMPORTANT!

If we learned this simple thing we would not be searching for happiness OUT THERE---we would be in the middle of happiness 24/7.

Take yourself apart piece by piece and put yourself together piece by piece and whatever career you decide on will be just another piece of happiness for you.

Cheers.

Death In June
05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I enjoy what I do. I don't know that I love being in community pharmacy - I may have to go back to a residency program to do what I love (the route of instant gratification and a higher pay threshold was too tempting). It's comfortable right now, though. I would recommend that anyone with even a passing interest in medicine look into pharmacy. It's a great field. It's the perfect blend of patient care, pharmacology, chemistry, biology, business, and epidemiology.

TDuncan4
02-17-2015, 11:03 AM
You could do that. But why waste your whole life chasing something and hope that it leads to happiness? There is a different way. Start from the inside and figure out how you were put together and where did the idea of finding happiness outside of you come from? Find out how you were programmed (all of us were-in one way or another) and find out why you swallowed this idea and accepted it as fact. Everyone has a list. A list of things that you were told you needed to be happy. A great career, a great education, an attractive partner, money,god,fame,success,etc.... Which particular ones are on your list? Or mine? Or his? Or hers? What I am telling you is probably the opposite of what you were told and the opposite of what all of us were told. Which is easier- trying to carpet the entire planet or just finding a comfortable pair of shoes? People don't want to hear this-they would rather keep trying to rearrange the world to suit their desires (their list) than to do the work of re-programming themselves. In the east there are people who do not understand how Americans hate their jobs and how they wait for their vacations or their day off to enjoy their life. They think that it is insane to spend half their lives hating something. If you have ever read anything on Zen or Buddhism you will invariably see the Zen master assigning the student to pull weeds, wash dishes, do manual labor-there is a reason. They are teaching the students how to be in the present moment and how EVERY moment of their life is just as important as the next one. There aren't REGULAR moments (working) and SPECIAL moments (vacations, thrills, escaping reality by seeking distraction and thrills and seeking to fulfill desires) ---EVERY moment is the same---ALL OF THEM ARE EQUALLY IMPORTANT! If we learned this simple thing we would not be searching for happiness OUT THERE---we would be in the middle of happiness 24/7. Take yourself apart piece by piece and put yourself together piece by piece and whatever career you decide on will be just another piece of happiness for you. Cheers.Some pretty profound material here! I didn't know understand the reasons for those mundane assignments but it makes sense. The more I think about it, the more there's a Western disease of some sorts where we're always living out there and never here. Maybe a result of a capitalistic society? Who knows. Some great food for thought though!

Blake
02-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Some pretty profound material here! I didn't know understand the reasons for those mundane assignments but it makes sense. The more I think about it, the more there's a Western disease of some sorts where we're always living out there and never here. Maybe a result of a capitalistic society? Who knows. Some great food for thought though!

:lol that profound post came from the most unhappy person to ever log on to ST

mrsmaalox
02-17-2015, 11:29 AM
:lol that profound post came from the most unhappy person to ever log on to ST

Unhappy is a generous description----I would have gone with "the most vile human shit stain" :lol