PDA

View Full Version : no media bias?

Uncle Donnie
09-12-2004, 03:47 AM
link (http://www.billoreilly.com/currentarticle)

Say It Ain't So, Ted Turner

By: Bill O'Reilly for BillOReilly.com
Thursday, Sep 09, 2004

So now we find out that CNN commentators James Carville and Paul Begala have signed on with the Kerry campaign as unpaid advisors. Traditionally, that would mean they would have to take a leave of absence from CNN or any news organization which employed them because journalistic ethics (oxymoron?) dictate that news organizations remain totally separate from political campaigns. But since we live in strange times, CNN says it will keep the guys on the air.
In the wake of the vicious attacks on Fox News for allegedly being "GOP TV," I expected the media to brutally dismember CNN and the new boys on John Kerry's bus. But instead it's been the silence of the lambs from the press. Can you say media bias?

A central thesis of the mainstream media is that Fox News caters to conservative Republicans. That thesis has been played out in newspaper articles, books and even in movies. Those right-wing bully boys from Fox, they're just awful aren't they? How many times have we heard that?

But when it comes to CNN, well, that's another story. That network apparently feels comfortable allowing daily commentary from two Kerry strategists. Shouldn't CNN now be compelled to give equal time to the Bush campaign? How about a new program called "What's Up, George," starring Mary Matalin?

The CNN decision should come as no surprise since CNN's founder and still-involved mogul Ted Turner despises President Bush. Last July, Mr. Turner opined on The Charlie Rose program that "history will look back on this debacle in Iraq as one of the greatest mistakes that any major country has ever made."

Turner went on to say that the USA has no right to the high moral ground in Iraq when "we're terrorizing and sodomizing prisoners of war ..."

Keeping the press and political campaigns apart is what the founders had in mind when they granted us special first amendment privileges. Thomas Jefferson and the gang hoped the press would keep an eye on those seeking power--not try to help them obtain it. Editorial endorsements of candidates are fine and there's nothing wrong with former political operatives being hired to analyze the news. However, there is plenty wrong with CNN's present situation.

The fact that the media is allowing CNN to get away with this tells you all you need to know about how fair the American press is these days. I'll submit to you that if Greta Van Susteren and I signed on with Bush/Cheney 2004, The New York Times would have passed out torches and the media mob would have stormed the Fox News castle. There's a fox in the hen house all right--it's called the left-wing press allowing their brothers to slide.

Personally, I don't care if Carville and Begala want to help Kerry. And I don't care what they say on CNN. Everybody knows those guys are Kool-Aid liberals; they're not going to change many minds.

But I must say that CNN has some gall. It has consistently put itself up as the beacon of broadcast journalism and taken snarky shots at those it considers of lesser quality.

Well, the halcyon days at CNN have now come to an end. The network's ratings have collapsed and so have its ethical standards.

I don't know what's in your pipe, Ted Turner, but if there's room, put that assessment in there, and smoke it.

Nbadan
09-12-2004, 04:28 AM
What's not surprising is that supporters of Fox News, who actually sued to have the law clarified about their right to lie in their news programs, are so adamant about attacking CNN even though I have proven time and time again that CNN isn't exactly a progressive bastion either.

It's like Fox has taken on the personality of the current administration and become the big bully on the news block and it's supporters the Fox mafia.

MannyIsGod
09-12-2004, 05:26 AM
you know, this might have relevance if they WERE FUCKING REPORTERS!!!!!

THEY ARE HOSTS ON A SHOW WHERE THEY REPRESENT THE LEFT!!!!

give me a fucking break.

Uncle Donnie
09-12-2004, 12:36 PM
AFAIK Fox was not the only news organization involved in that suit, and that's some major spin on what the suit was about.

And ethically it most certainly does matter even if they are not reporters. They are actively working for Kerry's campaign. Do you seriously think the media would not be all over Fox if they pulled something like this with the Bush campaign?

I do agree that in the end it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference, but it's pretty fucked up nonetheless.

SpursWoman
09-12-2004, 01:01 PM
How about a new program called "What's Up, George," starring Mary Matalin?

:lol :lol

I don't really GAF one way or another about media bias honestly. In the basketball offseason, my TV is usually stuck on the Disney Channel.

I do like Bill O'Reilly, though. Go figure. :wink

SpursWoman
09-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Because if I want to witness a liberal circle jerk, I just come in here.

:lol :lol

Spurminator
09-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't really think it's a problem either... We live in a sensationalist era where 24-hour news programs are less interested in giving the news and more interested in providing fireworks for the audience to increase their ratings.

But I do agree that if Fox had hired two Bush advisers, they would have been crucified.

Tommy Duncan
09-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Because if I want to witness a liberal circle jerk, I just come in here.

:lol

Nice.

Joe Chalupa
09-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey now, conservatives (although they won't admit it) have quite a few circle jerks in here with talk about "whacking" and "ointments". 8)

Hook Dem
09-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Joe... this may not set well with you, but you are viewed in here as a conservative Democrat.

Joe Chalupa
09-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Well...I have been known to "touch myself". :p

Yeah, and you know what....I've officially become an "undecided" voter. Can you believe it?

Yonivore
09-13-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I can believe that Joe...we've been calling you from the dark side for months now...

Undecided is cool.

Joe Chalupa
09-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Make my decision on Nov. 2, I will.

NeoConIV
09-14-2004, 12:37 AM
I've officially become an "undecided" voter. Can you believe it?
No.

The Dubya vote is officially an option?

http://www.crookdimwit.com/sou_smirk.jpg

Smirk and all?

Naaaaaah. Ain't no way Joe can get past the smirk. :wink (smirk)

Joe Chalupa
09-14-2004, 09:50 AM
You may be correct sir! Poppa Smirk does get on my nerves.