PDA

View Full Version : Why is Kobe "off limits"? (Lakers trade thread)

Kidd K
05-24-2012, 01:46 AM
I keep hearing all these guys on ESPN and whatnot talking about the Lakers trading to improve their team, but they keep saying Kobe is off limits. I'm not sure why that is, when he's aging, getting worse, and expensive as hell. They keep talking about trading Bynum when he's potentially their future. They should be building around him, not sticking with Kobe who has been shooting them out of games instead of running actual plays the coach draws up. I've never seen a player take dumber shots than Kobe who don't just get benched besides Allen Iverson.

When their offense struggles, the experts always say, "oh, well Kobe had to shoot and go 4-14 in the 4th because the rest of the team went 2-7". And it's like wait a minute, could the fact that Kobe shot twice as much as the rest of the team possibly have anything to do with it? Oh, I guess not. It's Kobe, it's not any other player in the NBA.

Anyway, I think the Lakers should trade Kobe. . .not Bynum. Gasol? Sure maybe, depending on what you can get back. But why not just trade Kobe too? I don't see why he should be off limits besides that he's just a big name. Would any Lakers fan seriously not trade Kobe for LeBron right now? Or for Derrick Rose? Or for Durant? Don't lie. Not that any of those teams would make that trade, but hypothetically speaking.

If anything, they won't discuss Kobe trade talks because they know nobody will trade for him and his bloated contract. LA needs to keep Bynum badly and build around that dude. Riding it out with Kobe will spell their team's doom.

In fact, I guarantee the Lakers don't win another title as long as Kobe's on the team. Book it. I said the same thing last year too well before the Mavs broke it off in their behinds in the 2nd round.

HarlemHeat37
05-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Kobe has no trade value, he has one of the worst contracts in NBA history..he's still a top 10 player, but there isn't a team that would take on a 30 million$ a year contract..

They won't amnesty Kobe, as the backlash would be too damaging..he's one of the 3 best Lakers of all-time, they wouldn't move him IMO..

Robz4000
05-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Kobe has no trade value, he has one of the worst contracts in NBA history..he's still a top 10 player, but there isn't a team that would take on a 30 million$ a year contract..

They won't amnesty Kobe, as the backlash would be too damaging..
This, plus he provides a ridiculous amount of revenue to the Laker franchise strictly because he's, well, Kobe. People will always pay major bucks to watch him play, and the NBA is a business first and foremost.

DJ Mbenga
05-24-2012, 01:54 AM
the revenue alone makes him valuable. he has a no trade so if the lakers do find value he can just say hell no. an amnesty is basically taking a season.

HarlemHeat37
05-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Also, some people don't seem to realize the God-like status that Kobe has in LA..he causes the most delusional reactions that I've ever seen from a fanbase, tbh..everything he does is overhyped by the Lakers fanbase, he always receives the least amount of blame, and he always receives most of the credit..

There would be riots if Kobe left LA..

mavs>spurs
05-24-2012, 02:04 AM
I disagree that he's a top 10 player

rayjayjohnson
05-24-2012, 02:16 AM
I'm pretty sure he has a 'no trade' clause in his contract too

dunkman
05-24-2012, 02:44 AM
While he's skilled and still very athletic, he's 33, doesn't make his team mates better, is owed $60M for the next two seasons and has a no-trade clause in his contract.

ElNono
05-24-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm pretty sure he has a 'no trade' clause in his contract too

He does.

Mal
05-24-2012, 03:26 AM

Kobe is not top 10 player anymore

Spur_Fanatic
05-24-2012, 03:36 AM
He is a great player.

And he is a Top 5 player (Lebron, Durant, Wade... Rose? CP3? So he is around there).
But his contract is horrible. Aside of the no-trade clause, his contract is a cap killer by itself.

TDMVPDPOY
05-24-2012, 04:41 AM
only reason his even top5 or whatever crap selections to all nba teams...dude is nothing but a volume scorer meaningless stats

Venti Quattro
05-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Because trading him will hurt the Lakers revenue-wise more than it will help them.

100%duncan
05-24-2012, 06:30 AM
He is a great player.

And he is a Top 5 player (Lebron, Durant, Wade... Rose? CP3? So he is around there).
But his contract is horrible. Aside of the no-trade clause, his contract is a cap killer by itself.

He is not top 5.

Russo21
05-24-2012, 07:01 AM
He has 3 years for a league leading, by far, 25 million per year contract remaining. That shit is crazy.

His contract is bullshit basketball wise, but as stated, considering his god like status in LA, is worth it for them giving them a cult following and excess revenue created.

Pau and Bynum make a great PF/C combo. The Lakers might be better off on the court to trade Kobe and his 25 million contract elsehwere, thus keeping their two talented 7 footers.

A trade that could make the Lakers better off is with New Jersey.

Derron Williams and Gerarld Wallace for Kobe. Salaries are pretty similar. Lakers get an awesome Point guard and athletic all around SF in Wallace.

Bynum
Gasol
Wallace
?
Williams

Luol Deng and Derek Rose for Kobe

Bynum
Gasol
Deng
?
Rose

Chicago would never do that but you see what i'm saying. They could get some great pieces for Kobe while keeping their two headed interior monster.

There's heaps of options the Lakers could pursue to make their team better and utilize there 2 fantastic bigs better. The Lakers strength is on the interior but Kobe is a detriment to that. Multi Talented 7 footers don't grow on trees..

Latarian Milton
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
why not trade kobe? dude has a clause in his contract by which he can veto any trade, the only way to get rid of him is using the amnesty provision imho

Kidd K
05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
So pretty much the main consensus here is that Kobe's good for merchandise and ticket sales, not for actual winning? I guess that makes sense. It sure as hell isn't because he's making the team much better. For a guy that some argue has borderline Jordan-status, he sure as hell is a LOT worse than Jordan was at that age.

He is a great player.

He is not top 5 and hasn't been for at least 2-3 years now.

LeBron
Howard
Durant
Wade
Rose
Paul
Anthony
Westbrook (yeah I said it)
Ginobili (when healthy. He was better than Kobe last year)
Bynum
Williams (Deron)
Parker
Randolph (when healthy)
Dirk
Love

I would take those 15 before Kobe right now. Some of them have health issues, but when healthy, better than Kobe. Imo, you could only "argue off" maybe 3-4 dudes from that list max, and I'd disagree with each one. I'm not talkin about stats either, I'm talkin about positive game impact. I'd also take Duncan over Kobe, but I'm a little spoiled with Duncan so I didn't include him to make it as unbiased as possible. Still, I think putting Duncan on any good team makes them better, whereas Kobe wouldn't neccessarily make many teams better besides a select few with already terrible offense like the 76ers.

why not trade kobe? dude has a clause in his contract by which he can veto any trade, the only way to get rid of him is using the amnesty provision imho

I know that. No trade clause doesn't mean he won't agree to waive the clause for certain trades. Happens in baseball all the time (the sport with the most no trade clauses in it).

So that isn't really a reason not to trade Kobe, it's just a reason why a trade involving Kobe might potentially not fall through.

Cry Havoc
05-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Lakers need to ditch Bynum. He's their only valuable trading piece, they won't get equal value for Pau, and they could still rebuild a fantastic team around trading Bynum, who doesn't give a shit who he plays for or where he plays. Dude wants money more than a title. Not the kind of franchise player you want to construct the next dynasty around.

Reck
05-24-2012, 03:23 PM
He is not top 5.

My guess its he's talking current players.

Kobe its nowhere near top 5 overall material.

Mugen
05-24-2012, 03:32 PM
My guess its he's talking current players.

Kobe its nowhere near top 5 overall material.

He's not top 5 currently either.

Donkeybong
05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Kobe is still better than Wade

pass1st
05-24-2012, 03:44 PM
From a business standpoint, he's irreplaceable

Fans forget that making a profit is more important to most owners than winning a chip.

DeadlyDynasty
05-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Kobe can do whatever he wants. He's the most polarizing player to ever play the game. Just saying his name can cause one to give a heart-tugging soliloquy in his honor...and incite uncontrollable rage from his detractors.:lol

The NBA will suffer greatly without his global fan support.

midnightpulp
05-24-2012, 03:56 PM
From a business standpoint, he's irreplaceable

Fans forget that making a profit is more important to most owners than winning a chip.

This.

Buss even stated that Kobe is worth 70 million a year for the revenue he brings in alone.

He'll never be traded, even if he declines to an 18 per game scorer on 30% shooting. His brand is too valuable to the Lakers franchise.