PDA

View Full Version : CNN article (not SI): San Antonio Spurs poised to win 5th NBA crown, but ... yawn?

trypldubl
05-25-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/25/us/san-antonio-spurs-ambivalence/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Do not think this has been posted yet but just thought I post it since the article is on the main page of CNN. The article covers most of what us Spurs fans already know. It's just pretty cool to the see a overview of the team sort of broken down so the casual fan could understand what the Spurs are about.

:flag:

SA210
05-25-2012, 02:55 PM
(CNN) -- LeBron James is cocky. Kobe Bryant is a ball hog. Kevin Garnett is a thug. Dwight Howard got his coach fired. And Metta World Peace? Ugh, Metta World Peace.

These are the constant groans of NBA fans filling message boards and Twitter. We'll leave it to you to debate their merits in the comments below, but the message is (supposedly) clear: We want better role models, less individualism and players who show respect for the game.
Starts off great :tu

CGD
05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Meh we SAY we want better role models, but in the end we all cant get enough of who Kim Kardashian is sleeping with right now.

trypldubl
05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
As much as I hate the Lakers or Heat, I still have to tune in to see how Bynum is going to act if Kobe is not passing him the ball or how much of b*th Wade is during a game.

CubanMustGo
05-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Followed by the chorus of "Spurs are boring" comments from the masses who haven't seen the team play since the slugfest against Detroit.

TheCerebral1
05-25-2012, 04:21 PM
An unbiased opinion at least. As a Spurs fan my entire life, I could care less what people say. Look at the stats, the culture and how they play. I have always believed in that it takes the right mentality to win.

IX_Equilibrium
05-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Great read. I love how it points out the hypocrisy of sports fans in the US.

thOOdee
05-25-2012, 05:44 PM
looking through the comments in the article, you would think the spurs are the underdog. Is the rest of america that retarded. A lot of talk about how thunder are "too deep", even after reading an article basically saying if your outside of San Antonio you probably haven't been paying attention.

The Whopper
05-25-2012, 05:52 PM
If you have a sophisticated understanding of the game of basketball, you know that the series between San Antonio and OKC should be the most interesting basketball of this years playoffs.

If you are a casual fan, then your opinion is useless and you shouldn't even bother posting it on a basketball message board. Why would anyone want to read it? I don't go into Astrophysics message boards and clutter them up with a bunch of uneducated blather.

Spursfan092120
05-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Meh we SAY we want better role models, but in the end we all cant get enough of who Kim Kardashian is sleeping with right now.

You got a mouse in your pocket? I could give a shit about any of those girls who are celebrities because of daddy's money.

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-25-2012, 05:57 PM
The only sad thing about the Spurs beating the Heat in the Finals is that the media will focus more on the Heat's defeat rather than the Spurs' victory.

Obstructed_View
05-25-2012, 06:15 PM
If you are a casual fan, then you're who the NBA and ABC want to cater to because you're the ones who drive playoff ratings.

Fixed.

Budkin
05-25-2012, 07:19 PM
The only sad thing about the Spurs beating the Heat in the Finals is that the media will focus more on the Heat's defeat rather than the Spurs' victory.

That sounds familiar.

SenorSpur
05-25-2012, 07:57 PM
An unbiased opinion at least. As a Spurs fan my entire life, I could care less what people say. Look at the stats, the culture and how they play. I have always believed in that it takes the right mentality to win.

:tu
I'm with that!

I don't give a shit what the rest of world thinks, what the analysts say or what drives TV ratings. I can honestly say that there is really no other team I enjoy watching and rooting for more than my Spurs.

Of course I am still a basketball fan, so I do tend to watch other NBA teams come playoff time. Because I only watch the Spurs during the regular season, it's really quite interesting to watch other teams. With the exception of only a couple of elite teams, I usually find that the offensive sets are not as fluid, the ball movement is subpar and the attention to defense and detail is quite poor. For example, the Indiana Pacers were up 2-1 and had a rare chance to put a choke hold on Game 4 of their series with the Miami Heat. Instead, they got away from what was working for them. They forgot about their size advantage, then tried to become "fake" tough guys, while playing themselves right into Miami's hands. In the process, they made mistake after mistake. They ultimately doomed themselves and lost the series. A team with more mental toughness would've capitalized on their advantage.

When watching the brand of basketball the Spurs play versus other teams, it's almost as though the Spurs are playing on a level unique to only themselves. The fact that the organization goes about its business quietly and without fanfare makes it even better. The focus is on substance - not style.

As a lifelong Spurs fan, it's truly a joy to watch this team and revel in the success of this organization. They're truly on another level.

urunobili
05-25-2012, 08:23 PM
gr8 read!

KaiRMD1
05-25-2012, 08:48 PM
I just heard the Heat are now the favorites and considered unbeatable after finishing off the Pacers

Russo21
05-25-2012, 09:23 PM

I'd love to kill all the Kardashian's

Matty2Cool
05-26-2012, 01:09 AM

Not if we ride into the finals on a 12-0 playoff run, we'll just look like the juggernaut that no one could stop and hopefully they will talk more about teh spurs dominance than the heats inability to defeat us. but you're probably right either way

tmtcsc
05-26-2012, 08:09 AM

I think there's a who lot less "we" than you think. I can't stand the side circus, celebrity nonsense that is Kim Kardashian. Props to her for making an empire out of nothing - that's amazing.

But I really don't want to see it or know about it. And when it creeps in to a basketball game where they pan the cameras toward her, well that's just sad to me.

tmtcsc
05-26-2012, 08:14 AM
That sounds familiar.

I'm not so sure about that. I think the media is falling in love with the Spurs' "Team" mentality. In return, the Spurs are providing entertaining basketball to watch.

There's been a little too much love if you ask me. I'd rather the Spurs win it all before anyone hurts their hand patting the guys on the back. The players have said it and its true. They haven't done anything yet.

The four titles are in the past and the win streak is meaningless. You have to win the next game until there are none left and you've reached 16. We're only halfway there right now.