PDA

View Full Version : Parker needs to step up tonight....

IceColdBrewski
06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
....and be a major contributor for a change. Manu and Timmy can't do it all by themselves. Tony has had a very lackluster series. There have been bright spots here and there but for the most part, it has been up to Ginobili and Duncan to get us this far. And that's mostly due to the fact that Parker's shot just isn't falling most of the time. He also hasn't been much of a playmaker either. Instead, trying to create something for himself. Poor shooting + selfish play has now taked us to game 7.

I've taken a lot of heat over my criticism of Parker up until now but I've yet to see him turn into that difference maker (in this series) that so many of you claimed he is.

This is for all the marbles. It's time for Tony to step up.

1Parker1
06-23-2005, 08:19 AM
You're calling out the wrong guy. As average as Tony has been this series, tonight rests on Tim Duncan.

IceColdBrewski
06-23-2005, 08:34 AM
You're calling out the wrong guy. As average as Tony has been this series, tonight rests on Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan is going to do his part like he always does. Will Tony do his?

ALVAREZ6
06-23-2005, 08:37 AM
They ALL need to step up, and if they ALL step up, they WILL win.

I don't even care that much about offense, let's play some hard ass defense, I don't wanna see a single shot that hasn't been contested with 100% effort.

Spurs in 7.

ducks
06-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Manu Did Not Do His Part Late In The Game Last Game

But They All Need To Do Their Part

nkdlunch
06-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Yeah, everyone needs to step up tonight. Parker is not the only one.

chriskzoo
06-23-2005, 08:47 AM
If Manu, Parker and Duncan don't combine for 70+, the Spurs are done.

1Parker1
06-23-2005, 08:53 AM

I don't even care that much about offense, let's play some hard ass defense, I don't wanna see a single shot that hasn't been contested with 100% effort.

Spurs in 7.

SMARTEST thing you've said Alvarez :princess

ducks
06-23-2005, 09:06 AM
If Parker Scores 23 Manu Scores 10 Duncan Scores 14
Ice Will Still Call Out Tp

boutons
06-23-2005, 09:13 AM
The defense must hold Pissed-Ons to low 40s, max, for FG %age.

While the Spurs offense attacks the paint and get a FG %age above 45%.

In RBs and paint points, the Spurs have won in the both previous games.

Where Spurs have been losing in stats is T0 and STL.

I don't expect the above stats to change much tonight.

The Spurs shot a fatally low 35% in the second half Tuesday.

Holding everything else constant from the Game5 and 6, the Spurs just have to shoot 45% minimum for the game.

dn0
06-23-2005, 09:24 AM

Spurs in 7.
I agree if something can win a championship for the spurs tonight that will be DEFENSE.

SouthernFried
06-23-2005, 09:28 AM
If Parker takes and hits outside jumpers...we can win. I doubt this game will be won driving into the heart of either defense...tho, parker and Manu can do it.

This game will be won on who hits the outside shots. We need Parker in that. Detroit has Rip, Chauncy, Mcdyess, Sheed and Prince who can all hit outside shots. Hopefully our guys who just shoot 3's, will be on tonight.

ducks
06-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Game 7 'dream' comes true
Web Posted: 06/23/2005 12:00 AM CDT
Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

Win or lose, Spurs point guard Tony Parker doesn't expect his life to change much after Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

"I'm still going to have the same teammates, same friends, same family," he said.

For a 23-year-old faced with defending Chauncey Billups in the kind of pressure-packed game the Pistons' star relishes, Parker sounded remarkably calm while talking to the media Wednesday at the SBC Center.

"I love it," Parker said. "One game and everything is on the line. It's a great opportunity. It's been my dream to play in (a Game 7) since I arrived in San Antonio.

"This is what you live for — to play in big games."

As an added bonus, Parker draws the assignment of shadowing Billups, who has scored 130 of Detroit's 533 points in the series and leads all players with a 21.7 scoring average.

"Mr. Big Shot," as the Pistons like to call Billups, hit 5 of 9 from 3-point range to finish with 21 points in the defending NBA champions' 95-86 victory over the Spurs in Game 6 on Thursday.

"I have to slow him down a bit," Parker said. "I'll try to pressure him. That's the only thing I can do. Try to force him to do mistakes and not leave him in his comfort zone to hit those 3-point shots."

Despite Billups' production, the Spurs' coaches have been pleased with Parker's defensive effort.

"He's working his butt off against a tough character," coach Gregg Popovich said.

Assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo noted that Parker hasn't backed down from Billups, who at 6-foot-3, 202 pounds is 1 inch taller and more than 20 pounds heavier than Parker.

"Tony has done a very good job," Carlesimo said. "All you can do is make the really good offensive players work, and Tony has really defended. The entire playoffs in general, I think it's the best defense I've seen Tony play, and he's had tough matchups."

With another title and possibly a second-straight Finals MVP award at stake, Billups is expected to be at his best tonight. But that prospect doesn't worry Parker, who said he has "embraced" the pressure of playing in a Game 7.

"You need to have fun," Parker said. "You can't think about what is on the line and how much pressure you got because then you aren't going to be yourself and you aren't going to play your game. You just have to go out there and let it go.

"You have to be happy. It is hard to explain. There is so much on the line, but you cannot be afraid now

SouthernFried
06-23-2005, 09:37 AM
One thing I've noticed...I never seem to see Parker at the FT line.

Out of our big 3...I see TD at the line, Manu at the line...but, rarely see Tony there. I think he should be able to pick up a lot more fouls with his driving ability.

And I agree...Tony has been playing his ass off defensively. But, I still think BOWEN should take BILLUPS. Tony is just mismatched on him.