PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Offense Breakdown

LkrFan
05-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Can the Thunder (or the Hype) stop it? I'm not so sure about either doing it consistently enough to rang. Peep this vid:

hmlIRobedyg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sure, in this vid they're playing the Jazz, but they do this shit to everybody. They could attack OKC's defensive strength (their bigs) as well as exploit the Hype's bigs (especially with Bosh either out, or less than 100%).

They don't play defense like the 1999 Spurs, but as the year progressed, they improved on that end of the floor. Their offense is often unstoppable - as evidenced by their league leading 102.5ppg during these playoffs. That just may be enough to get it done.

Discuss.

UZER
05-25-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't know how many times I've heard about the spurs not playing defense like 99. Nobody can play that kind defense anymore. Rules have changed to favor the offense. It's just no allowed. And before the spurs swept the first two rounds, most of the talking heads in the media kept referring to this as a legitimate a reason they wouldn't win the title.

They still play suffocating defense for what the rules allow in today's game.

It's just pathetic how many of these guys have jobs covering the NBA, clearly have not watched the spurs play, yet comment on them with rehashed takes from the last few years. Stephen A Smith admitted he didn't even watch the spurs first round games between the Spurs and Jazz. It's your job to COVER THE NBA, not the NLHA (National Lakers Heat Association).

/rant

flipspursfan
05-25-2012, 10:08 PM
The Motion Weak offense is pretty much designed to get the Spurs the shot they want while still having multiple options in the floor. This results in the balanced scoring that we've seen from that team throughout the season. Nice find LkrFan.

phyzik
05-25-2012, 10:19 PM
As I said in another thread here in the basement, OKC is going to get exposed.

They just dont have the man-power or the discipline to take the Spurs on. I just dont see it. OKC was built to beat the Lakers and thats about it.... They are what the Mavs were for a few years when they just focused on beating the Spurs.

I just dont see how OKC can possibly beat the Spurs 4 out of 7. It isnt going to happen no matter how much OKC fan wishes it to be.

Hero-ball doesnt win championships and thats exactly what OKC is banking on. Its exactly the reason Miami had trouble with a hodge-podge group like the Pacers. You can have the best 1-2 punch in the game, but if you dont have a complete game against an all-around complete fighter those jabs aint gonna win the fight no matter how crisp they are.

OKC has a punchers chance, but this isnt a Rocky movie. This isnt an "Over the Top" movie where, at the twist of a thumb and some make believe wrestling power-gathering from the crowd is going to push them to win.

This is real life, and Spurs beating OKC is pretty much the only logical conclusion anyone with objectivity can decide on.

sorry OKC fans, this isnt going to happen.... this only happens in the movies...

txUIq2O3wPE

Life doesnt work that way....

It isnt OKC's time just yet.

(showing my age remembering "Over The Top" :depressed)

Cry Havoc
05-25-2012, 10:56 PM
The Motion Weak offense is pretty much designed to get the Spurs the shot they want while still having multiple options in the floor. This results in the balanced scoring that we've seen from that team throughout the season. Nice find LkrFan.

It should be noted that it works because we typically have at least 4 guys who can put the ball in the bucket at any time, so any "cheat" defense immediately gets exposed and destroyed.

ElNono
05-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Here's the same offense cuckolding the Lakeshow in their court:

iOfcmPyPbdw

phyzik
05-25-2012, 11:09 PM
People are just HOPING that the Thunder can somehow pull off the upset... Spurs gonna keep playing the role of Vader shitting on the hope of the NBA's heroes.

OKC is NOT stopping this Spurs team... I dont think anyone can... Anyone with even a small understanding of basketball fundimentals can see it... Spurs are playing true team ball kinda like the dominant teams in NCAA.. It's been a LONG time since the NBA has seen this brand of basketball.

Unselfish. Unfased. TEAM ball.

Beautiful to watch. Not just because they are winning either.... This is probably the most true TEAM in the NBA. None of them give a shit about their minutes on the floor... They dont bitch when the coach pulls them out.... They cheer eachother all along the bench regardless of playing time, even those that are not playing.

It's beautiful to watch.

NRHector
05-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Here's the same offense cuckolding the Lakeshow in their court:

iOfcmPyPbdw

:toast Lakers got exposed in this game

Wild Cobra Kai
05-26-2012, 12:29 AM
The thing that makes SA so dangerous is that all of their bigs, except Splitter, can shoot, and all of their bigs, except Bonner, can pass very well. Splitter is one of the top finishing pick and roll bigs, and Bonner is one of the best three point shooting bigs, so each weakness brings a corresponding strength. Tim, Tiago, and Diaw can all find the perimeter shooter.

You can't help giving them space. There are just too many shooting threats on the floor at all times. It's literally impossible to cover Tim and four shooters, or Tiago and four shooters and not give up something easy, either at the cup or at the arc. Once they rotate your defense twice, and they can do that all night long, you're toast. They're getting a good look.

tesseractive
05-26-2012, 12:41 AM
As I said in another thread here in the basement, OKC is going to get exposed.

They just dont have the man-power or the discipline to take the Spurs on. I just dont see it. OKC was built to beat the Lakers and thats about it.... They are what the Mavs were for a few years when they just focused on beating the Spurs.

I just dont see how OKC can possibly beat the Spurs 4 out of 7. It isnt going to happen no matter how much OKC fan wishes it to be.

Hero-ball doesnt win championships and thats exactly what OKC is banking on. Its exactly the reason Miami had trouble with a hodge-podge group like the Pacers. You can have the best 1-2 punch in the game, but if you dont have a complete game against an all-around complete fighter those jabs aint gonna win the fight no matter how crisp they are.

OKC has a punchers chance, but this isnt a Rocky movie. This isnt an "Over the Top" movie where, at the twist of a thumb and some make believe wrestling power-gathering from the crowd is going to push them to win.

This is real life, and Spurs beating OKC is pretty much the only logical conclusion anyone with objectivity can decide on.

sorry OKC fans, this isnt going to happen.... this only happens in the movies...

txUIq2O3wPE

Life doesnt work that way....

It isnt OKC's time just yet.

(showing my age remembering "Over The Top" :depressed)

Well, to be fair, sometimes Hero Ball does win championships. The infamous 2006 title for example.

And OKC does a lot of things right -- they have good chemistry led by a star that isn't driven by ego, for example. With the right timing -- if they were facing last year's banged-up Spurs, for example -- they might be hoisting a Larry O'Brien. But yeah, I think they definitely need to get smarter about team offense and team defense to take it to the next level.