PDA

View Full Version : What books does Gregg Popovich read?

Outlier
05-26-2012, 10:03 AM
In the TP thread, I learned that Coach Pop gave TP a Tony Montana book.

But what I'd like to know is what kind of books does Coach Pop read, like non-fiction books, etc. Any of you guys know what are his favorite books? He is a great person who seems highly intelligible, and doesn't just seem like the only thing he is good at is coaching basketball.

Thank you.

Slomo
05-26-2012, 10:27 AM
The only other book I remenber that coach Pop mentioned reading is "My name is Red" by Benim Adım Kırmızı. I remember it because I was reading it when the interview came out.But it's a work of fiction.

Spur|n|Austin
05-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I wish Pop would write a book one day, though I remember him being asked if he ever would once and he said "nobody wants to read what I have to say" jokingly.

Calavera
05-26-2012, 11:04 AM
The only other book I remenber that coach Pop mentioned reading is "My name is Red" by Benim Adım Kırmızı. I remember it because I was reading it when the interview came out.But it's a work of fiction.

"Benim Adim Kirmizi" is a novel written by the author Orhan Pamuk.

CGD
05-26-2012, 11:09 AM

Orhan Pamuk is the author. Great read.

Not sure what he has read, but I think Pop should write a book on management, like Coach John Wooden did (btw "On Leadership" is excellent and I highly recommend it). I bet Pop's insights would be gold.

tesseractive
05-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Not sure what he has read, but I think Pop should write a book on management, like Coach John Wooden did (btw "On Leadership" is excellent and I highly recommend it). I bet Pop's insights would be gold.

Hell would freeze over before he got into that kind of bullshit-shoveling. As far as Pop's concerned, the ideas are easy: you find a group of guys who complement each other and are willing to sacrifice individual goals for the success of the team. You analyze strengths and weaknesses and put people in a position to succeed. You get to know your players and understand what makes them tick so you can be more effective at helping tem improve. Collectively, these ideas are easy to understand and can be covered in a short magazine profile -- they don't need a book.

Everything else is about actually doing the work. No magic, no big ideas, no shortcuts. Anyone who needs a book to tell them that is the kind of dumbass Pop has no time for.

Outlier
05-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Wow, Coach Pop's job sounds so easy. You should be the coach after he retires.

SpursRock20
05-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Hell would freeze over before he got into that kind of bullshit-shoveling. As far as Pop's concerned, the ideas are easy: you find a group of guys who complement each other and are willing to sacrifice individual goals for the success of the team. You analyze strengths and weaknesses and put people in a position to succeed. You get to know your players and understand what makes them tick so you can be more effective at helping tem improve. Collectively, these ideas are easy to understand and can be covered in a short magazine profile -- they don't need a book.

Everything else is about actually doing the work. No magic, no big ideas, no shortcuts. Anyone who needs a book to tell them that is the kind of dumbass Pop has no time for.

Pop, is that you? :lol

He makes it seem that way and we all know he is a very humble guy that does not like the limelight. I'm willing to bet he makes his job sound much easier than it really is.

Outlier
05-26-2012, 06:48 PM

This is good. Thanks. Any reason why he mentioned this book?

ginobilized
05-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Pop probably just re-reads "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and uses it as a negative barometer for his interviews

Capt Bringdown
05-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Wine Investment Strategies and Etruscan cuisine, amongst other things.

lefty
05-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Red Hood

Uriel
05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
http://blog.equip.org/wp-content/uploads/hitchens.jpg

Colin McIlroy
Question: Dear Coach Pop, you mentioned previously that you were reading Orhan Pamuk's 'My Name Is Red'. Did you enjoy it, and do you have any other book recommendations?

GP: I really enjoyed it. Orhan Pamuk is a great Turkish writer and has become internationally known since he has won prizes for his literature. Right now I'm reading a book by Christopher Hitchens and its title is "God Is Not Great," it's his point of view on things. I'm reading that just to look at the other side of the coin so to speak.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_1011.html

Outlier
05-27-2012, 05:52 AM
Muchos gracias Uriel!!! Although I'm kinda disappointed because I'm a Christian and I don't want to read a book like that :(

I wish Pop would share what books he has read about history and stuff, how it has influenced his coaching, life, etc.

Outlier
05-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Uriel, do you have a link to all Spurs Mailbags (Q&As)? Thank you.

Slomo
05-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Muchos gracias Uriel!!! Although I'm kinda disappointed because I'm a Christian and I don't want to read a book like that :(

I wish Pop would share what books he has read about history and stuff, how it has influenced his coaching, life, etc.

Don't judge a book by it's cover (or even title).
That is not a book about God, it's about religion - and those two are not necessarily (or ever?) the same.