PDA

View Full Version : Kids Tennis

Kori Ellis
05-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Does anyone know where in San Antonio that young kids (3 year old) can get tennis lessons?

Summers
05-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I do not... but we live in San Marcos and get pretty cheap golf lessons for our kids through the university. You could see if the universities there offer junior lessons.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
05-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Shadow Cliff Swim Club, off of Henderson Pass. That's where I went from around 2001-2004 or so, and they offer all different age groups. After that I went to Thousand Oaks fitness club (which is now a YMCA) but their tennis program has fallen apart.

Not sure if the same instructors are still there at Shadow Cliff, but they were great.

benefactor
05-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I do not... but we live in San Marcos and get pretty cheap golf lessons for our kids through the university. You could see if the universities there offer junior lessons.
Off topic...but how do you like it in San Marcos? I'm going to be moving to the SA area within the next few years but I'd like to live outside the city and that was on of the places I was going to check out.

ashbeeigh
05-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Does McFarland have little tennis lessons?

The JCC has everything but tennis this summer for little ones... http://www.jccsanantonio.org/index.php?src=directory&view=jccclasses&category=ECD%20Sports%20%26%20Fitness&query=category.eq.ECD%20Sports%20%26%20Fitness&refno=890&srctype=jccclasses_detail

shyne
05-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Off topic...but how do you like it in San Marcos? I'm going to be moving to the SA area within the next few years but I'd like to live outside the city and that was on of the places I was going to check out.

I live in helotes, I love it. Everything I need is in short distance.

Kori Ellis
05-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Shadow Cliff Swim Club, off of Henderson Pass. That's where I went from around 2001-2004 or so, and they offer all different age groups. After that I went to Thousand Oaks fitness club (which is now a YMCA) but their tennis program has fallen apart.

Not sure if the same instructors are still there at Shadow Cliff, but they were great.

Thanks. It looks like Shadow Cliff goes down to age 4 but I'll call and see if they have lessons for 3 year olds.

Kori Ellis
05-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Does McFarland have little tennis lessons?

The JCC has everything but tennis this summer for little ones... http://www.jccsanantonio.org/index.php?src=directory&view=jccclasses&category=ECD%20Sports%20%26%20Fitness&query=category.eq.ECD%20Sports%20%26%20Fitness&refno=890&srctype=jccclasses_detail

Yeah I looked at JCC first. McFarlin is ages 5 and up. Thanks though.

benefactor
05-27-2012, 12:06 AM
I live in helotes, I love it. Everything I need is in short distance.
Not sure if I'd want to be that far on the other side of the city. I'd like to try to stay on the I-35 side of the city between Austin and SA if possible. I have people in Round Rock and Temple that I want to be close as possible to and I'll likely be coming back to East Texas pretty regularly to see my/my wife's family...so making that trip as short as possible is ideal for me.

ashbeeigh
05-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah I looked at JCC first. McFarlin is ages 5 and up. Thanks though.

Darnit. That's such a a pain.

Summers
05-27-2012, 03:56 PM

We like it here. We moved here from Austin about 11 years ago and it was quite an adjustment... nothing's open late, people drive slowly, there are no Indian restaurants... :lol Things like that. But once we got acclimated we loved it. It's quiet, the people are nice. I really love that we live between 2 major cities without having to deal with rush-hour traffic. When we want to do something in the "big city" we're half an hour from either Austin or San Antonio, and between those two cities, there are always travelling Broadway shows, Spurs games, amazing fireworks displays at 4th of July, good restaurants, good concerts, the rodeo, endless artsy festivals.

benefactor
05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
We like it here. We moved here from Austin about 11 years ago and it was quite an adjustment... nothing's open late, people drive slowly, there are no Indian restaurants... :lol Things like that. But once we got acclimated we loved it. It's quiet, the people are nice. I really love that we live between 2 major cities without having to deal with rush-hour traffic. When we want to do something in the "big city" we're half an hour from either Austin or San Antonio, and between those two cities, there are always travelling Broadway shows, Spurs games, amazing fireworks displays at 4th of July, good restaurants, good concerts, the rodeo, endless artsy festivals.
This is good to hear. It's what I was looking for in an area to live in when I do move down there. I really didn't want to live inside the city for the big city reasons but I wanted to be close enough to enjoy the things it has to offer. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be looking in that area when I start to think about house hunting.

ploto
05-28-2012, 08:39 PM
I can't remember if you said that you have a tennis court at your house or not. If you do, I would just pay someone to come to the house. You may be able to find someone who teaches tennis at one of those places who will do it, or see if you want to start with maybe a good high school player who would come during the summer.

Kori Ellis
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
I can't remember if you said that you have a tennis court at your house or not. If you do, I would just pay someone to come to the house. You may be able to find someone who teaches tennis at one of those places who will do it, or see if you want to start with maybe a good high school player who would come during the summer.

We don't. My inlaws do -- they live a 1/2 mile from us (also in Hill Country Village). I actually found quite a few private instructors that teach tennis in our neighborhood, so that might be the route for us to go. It looks like most other places require that the kids be 4 or older -- she's just turning 3 in August. We are going to see if she has enough interest in it over the next couple months, then go from there.

Thanks.

DAF86
05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Too young for tennis lessons, imho. Just take her to that court you named and play with her. And if it's a wall there where she can play against it by herself, even better. If she's really into tennis, she won't find playing against the wall boring and she will make great progress instinctively.

GoodOdor
05-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Make sure to sign her into soccer as well. Imho it's great for a kids development to have a team sport as well as a personal one.

I. Hustle
05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Tennis at 3? WTF?!

I thought I was crazy for coaching my little girl's 3-4 soccer team.

cantthinkofanything
05-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Tennis at 3? WTF?!

I thought I was crazy for coaching my little girl's 3-4 soccer team.

From experience, here's the best strategy for coaching 4 year-olds. Give the ball to the Mexican.

I. Hustle
05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
From experience, here's the best strategy for coaching 4 year-olds. Give the ball to the Mexican.

Uuummm not on my team. I have a little bleck girl that does nothing but play during practice and then goes ham during the actual games.

cantthinkofanything
05-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Uuummm not on my team. I have a little bleck girl that does nothing but play during practice and then goes ham during the actual games.

My bad. I thought we were talking about soccer. How high are the rims at 4 years old?