PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Assistant: "We're the Underdogs"

timvp
05-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Interesting story from Buck Harvey:

The Spurs didn’t go just anywhere. In sweeping the first two rounds, they went to a place they’ve never been. Both Vegas and the national media embrace the Spurs as favorites.

All of which makes the Spurs’ staff uncomfortable. They think people have gotten caught up with the 18-game winning streak, and they can’t believe the perception that they could sweep the Thunder.

They also wonder if they are built as traditional champions are. Maybe, at best, the Spurs are the Pistons of 2004, a snug fit of pieces, when usually the best teams are the ones with the best players.

Their argument: The record books usually show someone such as Kevin Durant leading a team to a title, not someone such as Chauncey Billups.

“In my heart of hearts,” one Spurs assistant said, “we’re the underdogs.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/05/26/prediction-as-ginobili-becomes-what-he-once-was/

crc21209
05-27-2012, 12:39 AM
What do you think of that timvp? Do you think that is a good or a bad sign that the assistant thinks that the Spurs are underdogs?

ducks
05-27-2012, 12:41 AM
so basically they think a point guard can not lead the team to a title
and that their point guard is tp
so does that mean they will trade tp for a player like durant that leads the team in scoring....

I wonder if this story is leaked to keep the spurs humble..

lrrr
05-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Messin with the Thunder.

Does anyone really think ANYONE in the Pop led organization would get away with leaking anything like that?

timvp
05-27-2012, 01:08 AM
What do you think of that timvp? Do you think that is a good or a bad sign that the assistant thinks that the Spurs are underdogs?

On one hand, it's probably meant to keep the team humble, as the wise ducks said. Appropriate fear and all that.

On the other hand, that assistant (or "staff" or whoever Harvey is talking to) has a point. This Spurs team is completely different than any team that has ever won a championship. For that reason, I've been somewhat surprised that it seems like everyone is on the bandwagon now.

I mean, yeah, the Spurs are on f'ing fire but the team's construction would shatter the championship team mold that's been around since the beginning of basketball. People could point to the 2004 Pistons but that team was totally different. They had five powerful starters who basically all played 40+ minutes when it was needed. Four of those starters were All-Star level players (Billups, Hamilton, Wallace and Wallace) and the fifth starter (Prince) wasn't far behind.

History says you either need an all-time great player playing at the top of his game or a collection of four or five All-Star level players who can play big minutes.

These Spurs are trying to win a championship with a completely different formula. They have two All-Star level players right now (Parker and Duncan) and exactly one player (Parker) who has consistently played a lot of minutes when needed. To fill the holes, the Spurs have a guy who could reach All-Star status (Ginobili), six above average players and Bonner.

I hope to all that is holy that it's enough for the Spurs to win a championship. If it is, it would be one of the most amazing accomplishments in NBA history just because it's so unprecedented.

Tbh, no championship team in NBA history is anything like these Spurs.

SA210
05-27-2012, 01:31 AM
On one hand, it's probably meant to keep the team humble, as the wise ducks said. Appropriate fear and all that.

On the other hand, that assistant (or "staff" or whoever Harvey is talking to) has a point. This Spurs team is completely different than any team that has ever won a championship. For that reason, I've been somewhat surprised that it seems like everyone is on the bandwagon now.

I mean, yeah, the Spurs are on f'ing fire but the team's construction would shatter the championship team mold that's been around since the beginning of basketball. People could point to the 2004 Pistons but that team was totally different. They had five powerful starters who basically all played 40+ minutes when it was needed. Four of those starters were All-Star level players (Billups, Hamilton, Wallace and Wallace) and the fifth starter (Prince) wasn't far behind.

History says you either need an all-time great player playing at the top of his game or a collection of four or five All-Star level players who can play big minutes.

These Spurs are trying to win a championship with a completely different formula. They have two All-Star level players right now (Parker and Duncan) and exactly one player (Parker) who has consistently played a lot of minutes when needed. To fill the holes, the Spurs have a guy who could reach All-Star status (Ginobili), six above average players and Bonner.

I hope to all that is holy that it's enough for the Spurs to win a championship. If it is, it would be one of the most amazing accomplishments in NBA history just because it's so unprecedented.

Pulling for the Spurs to make history.

:flag:

DeadlyDynasty
05-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Vegas disagrees.

KD4MVP
05-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Considering pretty much everyone is picking the Spurs to win this series, i among others disagree.

tesseractive
05-27-2012, 01:51 AM
There are also precedents involving all-time greats (one of which we happen to have) toward the end of their career winning more or less by sheer force of will.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

timvp
05-27-2012, 01:54 AM
There are also precedents involving all-time greats (one of which we happen to have) toward the end of their career winning more or less by sheer force of will.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

Like who? If you're talking about Hakeem, he was only 32 and in the peak of his career in 1995. He also averaged more than 42 minutes per game in the playoffs that year.

tesseractive
05-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Like who? If you're talking about Hakeem, he was only 32 and in the peak of his career in 1995. He also averaged more than 42 minutes per game in the playoffs that year.

Late-career Russell didn't have nearly the supporting cast he had earlier. He had some great teammates, but as far as I can remember, nobody on par with the top-5 MVP candidate season Tony submitted.

For that matter, he had Magic on his side, but an absolutely ancient Kareem won a Finals MVP.

Edit: I also don't think anyone would describe '98 Jordan as at the peak of his game.

Of course, if you look at this very short list, it suggests that this may only apply to Top 5 all-timers. But if Duncan lands one for the thumb... it still only applies to Top 5 all-timers.

ElNono
05-27-2012, 02:12 AM
What's tricky to measure with this team is what's the ceiling for a couple of players (ie: Green, Leonard). So far they've played well above the "rook" level. Is it just a fluke or is it a sign of how good they're going to be?

Also, the Spurs have some players that might not be flashy/popular enough to make the AllStar team, but are damn productive. For example, Euroleague MVP Splitter.

Lastly, this team no longer has "known" crap performers in major roles (read:Bonner, RJ). You can have some guys not producing as expected in general (Manu) or depending on the matchups (Jax), but that's common for every team.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-27-2012, 02:17 AM
C.I.A spurs

timvp
05-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Late-career Russell didn't have nearly the supporting cast he had earlier. He had some great teammates, but as far as I can remember, nobody on par with the top-5 MVP candidate season Tony submitted.He had Havlicek playing 40+ minutes in the playoffs plus a couple other Hall of Famers playing big minutes. Russell himself was still able to play almost the entire game.

For that matter, he had Magic on his side, but an absolutely ancient Kareem won a Finals MVP.MVP level Magic plus HOF Worthy and Byron Scott all playing huge minutes.

I also don't think anyone would describe '98 Jordan as at the peak of his game.Jordan was still ~90% of his prime and he and Pippen played more than 40 minutes per game in the playoffs.

If you stretch it, you could say those are somewhat close. But it's definitely a stretch. Duncan has turned back the close but he's definitely past his prime and his minutes are limited. Parker has had a really good season but he's not an all-time great or anything. No one else on the team is playing at an All-Star level ... much less a HOF level.

This Spurs team spreads the responsibility of winning between ten players like no other championship contending team that I know of.

tesseractive
05-27-2012, 03:14 AM
If you stretch it, you could say those are somewhat close. But it's definitely a stretch. Duncan has turned back the close but he's definitely past his prime and his minutes are limited. Parker has had a really good season but he's not an all-time great or anything. No one else on the team is playing at an All-Star level ... much less a HOF level.

This Spurs team spreads the responsibility of winning between ten players like no other championship contending team that I know of.
You're right. There's never been a title team quite like this one. The distribution of minutes is downright bizarre by historical standards

But the fact remains that we have an all-time great who looks like he's turned back the clock, and we had an MVP-type season submitted by Parker, who spent all season proving that he had moved beyond what most of us previously thought of his ceiling and consistently get his teammates involved and make them better. I don't know whether that means that he's potentially an all-time great, but probably the only better season a teammate of Duncan's submitted in a title season was Robinson in '99.

I like our chances.

baseline bum
05-27-2012, 03:18 AM
People could point to the 2004 Pistons but that team was totally different. They had five powerful starters who basically all played 40+ minutes when it was needed. Four of those starters were All-Star level players (Billups, Hamilton, Wallace and Wallace) and the fifth starter (Prince) wasn't far behind.

That '04 Pistons team had some nice depth too: Lindsey Hunter & Mike James backing up the guard positions and Elden Campbell + Mehmet Okur backing up the 4/5. Thank god they couldn't hold onto Okur, as he would have been huge in the 3rd quarter of game 7 in 05 when Tim got McDyess + the Wallaces into foul trouble.

thOOdee
05-27-2012, 03:28 AM
pretty drunk right now.......but honestly never been more prouder to be a spurs fan....shit load of heart.

therealtruth
05-27-2012, 03:47 AM
The Spurs haven't handled expectations properly in the past like all the years after their titles and the last few years. I can see why they would feel uncomfortable.

therealtruth
05-27-2012, 03:54 AM

How different is it really from '07 Spurs or even last year's Mavs?

100%duncan
05-27-2012, 03:59 AM
Damn. Thunder's a good team but how can we be underdogs?

Russ
05-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Interesting story from Buck Harvey:

In sweeping the first two rounds, they went to a place they’ve never been. Both Vegas and the national media embrace the Spurs as favorites.

Not to worry.

If the Spurs lose even Game 1, just watch how fast the media goes back to -- "The Spurs are just too old . . ."

Anonymous Cowherd
05-27-2012, 07:57 AM
We absolutely are the underdogs. OKC Thunder have been unanimous pick to come out of the West from before the season started right up until we won game 4 against the Clippers.

silverblackfan
05-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Pulling for the Spurs to make history.

:flag:

Thay have done it before. First former ABA team to win the LOB, for example.
The will just rewrite the history books again.
One game at a time.

ginobili fan
05-27-2012, 08:36 AM
The spurs know they're the best in the league.
But saying they're the underdogs always been the rule.

cheguevara
05-27-2012, 09:02 AM
I called it a week ago. If you use logic and math, Spurs have a mountain to climb vs. OKC.

Not surprising Spurs office agrees with El Che.

SA210
05-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I called it a week ago. If you use logic and math, Spurs have a mountain to climb vs. OKC.

The only mountain imo are the refs. If they call it fair, we got this easier than some think.

silverblk mystix
05-27-2012, 12:27 PM

:lmao

Hater.

baseline bum
05-27-2012, 01:15 PM

Of course the Spurs have a mountain to climb vs a hell of a team in OKC, but that mountain is only Half Dome; Everest comes if they make the Finals and line up against Miami.

roycrikside
05-27-2012, 01:32 PM
He had Havlicek playing 40+ minutes in the playoffs plus a couple other Hall of Famers playing big minutes. Russell himself was still able to play almost the entire game.

MVP level Magic plus HOF Worthy and Byron Scott all playing huge minutes.

Jordan was still ~90% of his prime and he and Pippen played more than 40 minutes per game in the playoffs.

Parker put up a superstar level PER in rd 1 and Duncan did likewise in rd 2. If either of them (or Manu) do it in rd 3, it should be enough. So the Spurs are like the past championship teams, but different. They do have that one superstar, it just rotates...:lol

JRHernandez88
05-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm also trying to convince myself we're the underdogs. Being the favorite makes me feel uncomfortable, like we have everything to lose. The thunder lost 1 game out of 9 to the to the two past defending champs and have multiple young superstars. Their clutch, been battle tested, perhaps the best home court in the league, reigning scoring champ... Ahhh are we underdogs yet?

Cant_Be_Faded
05-27-2012, 01:54 PM
I have been wondering about this for a while.

Depth is supposed to not matter in the playoffs.
Yet here we are.

gameFACE
05-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Spurs are always the underdogs, IMO. In championship years they've always had an unexpected underdog who broke the other teams heart. Kerr in '06. Horry in '05. SOmeone not talked about as a big contributor in this series is Jack, He's the underdog. He'll come up big in OKC, Game 6. Not sure where this is coming from. Just believe.

Maddog
05-27-2012, 02:14 PM

great analysis- summed my fears and hopes
The only team I can think of is the 72-73 Knicks during the watered down pre-merger days
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpI06T8o6eY

ShoogarBear
05-27-2012, 02:42 PM
The last NBA champion to go this deep was the 1975 Warriors, but they still had Rick Barry playing at an all-time level as a lynchpin. (He should have easily won the MVP but everyone hated him so much.)

The comparison to the 69 Celtics is not so far off in terms of not having anyone performing at a dominant level, but they basically sleepwalked (sleptwalked?) through the regular season, then got down to business in the playoffs.

Probably the best comparison is the Knick teams of the early 1970s. (Ed: Maddog just beat me to it.)

thispego
05-27-2012, 04:30 PM
They have two All-Star level players right now (Parker and Duncan) and exactly one player (Parker) who has consistently played a lot of minutes when needed. To fill the holes, the Spurs have a guy who could reach All-Star status (Ginobili), six above average players and Bonner.

:lol

thispego
05-27-2012, 04:31 PM

:rolleyes

Whisky Dog
05-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Luckily there's no Jordan, No combination of Magic/Worthy/Kareem and no combination of Bird/McHale/DJ out there to recon with. The Thunder have Durant and Westbrook, but only Durant is among the all time skilled. Outside of that Harden is a guy who can produce but the rest of the team isn't above average offensively.

Miami has James, Wade, a decent big in Bosh, and a bunch of trash.

The Celtics have Rondo and some truly ancient players.

If there was any year a star level Tony Parker with an all star for 35 mpg level Duncan and very solid role players in a very solid system can win it I think this landscape is it. No truly great teams out there, just a few great or very good players on teams with holes.

Whisky Dog
05-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Luckily there's no Jordan, No combination of Magic/Worthy/Kareem and no combination of Bird/McHale/DJ out there to recon with. The Thunder have Durant and Westbrook, but only Durant is among the all time skilled. Outside of that Harden is a guy who can produce but the rest of the team isn't above average offensively.

If there was any year a star level Tony Parker with an all star for 35 mpg level Duncan and very solid role players in a very solid system can win it I think this landscape is it. No truly great teams out there, just a few great or very good players on teams with holes.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-27-2012, 05:30 PM
To a man the Spurs believe they've done nothing yet. This is good.

The real playoffs start now. Spurs, Thunder, Heat, Celtics. It's gonna be fun.

thispego
05-27-2012, 06:08 PM

It was good enough to say twice :lol :tu

ducks
05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
maybe this back fired
spurs did not come out with confidence