PDA

View Full Version : Revisitng the tablet debate

lefty
05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
In an old thread, people in this forum were debating wether tablet were a fad or not.

I resisted buying one, until last Friday as I bought a 16 gig iPad 2 for 400$

Good price, and so far I really love it, very impressed

However, I'm wondering if will eventually get bored with it or not; I might be in the "1st week of excitement" phase
In fact, a coworker of mine bought one and stopped using it after a week or so; the only person using it now is his 3 year old for gaming; it's a pretty expensive toy for a 3 year old if you ask me.

I already own a laptop and an iPhone 4
What I can do on my iPad 2, I can do it on my iPhone 4; sure the screensize of the tablet doesnt give me eye strain like a 3.5 inch screen does, and it's easier to type on a bigger keyboard

But still...

Apple has a 14 day return policy, so I will be doing so heavy evaluation work.
400$ is a good deal, but it's still money

What about you guys? Is your tablet collecting dust ?

Reck
05-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Just keep it.

Like everything else, once we get the good out of something we tend to put it away at some time.

You can still use the iPad as a tv. Certain cable providers allow you to download an app so you can watch tv on the iPad.

lefty
05-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I prefer to watch TV on a real TV :D

Reck
05-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Missing the point...

resistanze
05-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I haven't pulled the trigger on a tablet because of this reason, tbh.

My Galaxy S2 + my laptop covers all of my needs. The only thing I've for a laptop was to take up is leisure reading, which I haven't done in years. Other than that, I don't see a need for a tablet other just to play around with. Depends on the person, imo.

lefty
05-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I haven't pulled the trigger on a tablet because of this reason, tbh.

My Galaxy S2 + my laptop covers all of my needs. The only thing I've for a laptop was to take up is leisure reading, which I haven't done in years. Other than that, I don't see a need for a tablet other just to play around with. Depends on the person, imo.
Yeah

As I said I will do some heavy evaluation to see if overtime I get bored with it or not

Regardless of my final decision, I have to admit the iPad 2 is fucking nice

TDMVPDPOY
05-27-2012, 06:49 PM
u can always use it as a GPS system for the car...

Creepn
05-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Been a few months with my tab and although I still use my tab alot, it's been reduced. I hardly ever go to the app store anymore and don't play games on it like I used to. Now it's just a convenience for great many things like reading books while I'm taking a shit,checking emails and web surfing in bed, hdmi movies to the tv, ect. The specific apps I downloaded goes straight to the point of what I need to do as well. I love the damn thing and glad I bought it.

Reck
05-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Been a few months with my tab and although I still use my tab alot, it's been reduced. I hardly ever go to the app store anymore and don't play games on it like I used to. Now it's just a convenience for great many things like reading books while I'm taking a shit,checking emails and web surfing in bed, hdmi movies to the tv, ect. The specific apps I downloaded goes straight to the point of what I need to do as well. I love the damn thing and glad I bought it.

Yeah to all that.

Already have an iPhone and a computer so getting an iPad seems counter produtive really.

I like reading books on my free time so that would be one reason to get that but.........all hail Kindle.

Alot cheaper too.

Creepn
05-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah to all that.

Already have an iPhone and a computer so getting an iPad seems counter produtive really.

I like reading books on my free time so that would be one reason to get that but.........all hail Kindle.

Alot cheaper too.

I dunno about that tbh. I have all of those as except with a SII and I just ended up hardly using the desktop anymore. As a matter of fact, I'm typing out this post while I'm pushing out some logs right now. How is that not productive? Lmao. Wanna see a pic? I can snap one out real quick with the cam. No biggie.

Reck
05-27-2012, 11:48 PM
It is counter productive when you can do the same on your iPhone already.

Not sure what you're talking about when saying "pushing out logs"?

lefty
05-28-2012, 12:05 AM
He is shitting

MannyIsGod
05-28-2012, 01:11 AM
I use my touchpad a lot because I can use it for my textbooks. Haven't taken notes with it yet though. I need to get Drachen to break that down for me.

leemajors
05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
I keep going back and forth what to get with my hefty discount at the end of next month, but I can't really not choose a MacBook Air 64GB over an iPad HD 32GB for $250. Every time I use my gf's 64GB iPad HD I want one, but I can do much more with the Air. It's just whether I want to pay $100 more for 4GB RAM or not. Hard to pass up a $250 or $350 MacBook Air.

lefty
05-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I keep going back and forth what to get with my hefty discount at the end of next month, but I can't really not choose a MacBook Air 64GB over an iPad HD 32GB for $250. Every time I use my gf's 64GB iPad HD I want one, but I can do much more with the Air. It's just whether I want to pay $100 more for 4GB RAM or not. Hard to pass up a $250 or $350 MacBook Air.
Well since the AIR is very light and has a good battery life, I would go with that

Slydragon
05-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Im on my tab everyday, it sits under my sofa charging and always on. So when I'm sitting after work I can get it fast and its online ready to surf /email/ Spurstalk. No waiting for my laptop to turn on and no getting back up to sit in front of the desktop.

The novelty of games on a tables/phone stop for me a long time go.

ElNono
05-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Wife replaced her desktop with it... thus, it's used every day

lefty
05-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Im on my tab everyday, it sits under my sofa charging and always on. So when I'm sitting after work I can get it fast and its online ready to surf /email/ Spurstalk. No waiting for my laptop to turn on and no getting back up to sit in front of the desktop.

The novelty of games on a tables/phone stop for me a long time go.

Wife replaced her desktop with it... thus, it's used every day
But what about your smartphones?
Don't they do the same things you are doing on your tablets?

And they are even more portable

leemajors
05-28-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm glad the novelty of games on a phone has not stopped for me, but I rarely play games on a console or anywhere else. Highway Rider ftw.

leemajors
05-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Well since the AIR is very light and has a good battery life, I would go with that

that and i could sell it at 900 if i didn't like it and buy a pimped iPad!

Slydragon
05-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Yes my phone is more portable and that's why I used it everywhere but home. When I'm home I used the tab because its a bit bigger and more easy on the eyes when reading and bigger on screen keyboard for typing.

Slydragon
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I should point out that a lot of the apps I used have syncing options so going from phone to tab isn't to much trouble. Like dolphin browser, what ever I bookmark on one shows on the other.

ElNono
05-28-2012, 05:02 PM

Substantially smaller screens. The increased real estate is great to have while browsing, etc. My wife also has some vision problems, thus a big screen + pinch-zoom everywhere = gold. Even better than a desktop for her.

lefty
05-28-2012, 09:07 PM
I do agree on the bigger screens being better for your eyes

Reck
05-28-2012, 09:40 PM
I do agree on the bigger screens being better for your eyes

Well no kidding son.

lefty
05-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Well no kidding son.
lolno

Reck
05-28-2012, 10:38 PM
lolno

http://i2.lulzimg.com/274d25eb73.gif

mingus
05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I have an iPad. It is great for surfing the web, listening to music, watching movies, recording video. Especially useful when on the toilet, in bed, in the car.

Negatives: no USB port, which makes transfering documents a relative difficulty.

Generally replaces my Asus Ultrabook when I'm not doing work.

The iPad is by no means a technological necessity, but it is a significant convenience.

Creepn
05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Basically the tablet is not a fad. You will find a use for it. Most of the apps are the fads not the tablet.

z0sa
05-29-2012, 03:09 PM
I love my Kindle Fire and use the shit out of it, but I would much prefer an Ipad2 or better obviously. The main difference between a tablet and a laptop is the convenience.. otherwise laptops are superior machines in most ways tbh. However for $199 even if I hadn't gotten it as a gift, knowing what I do now if I lost my Fire I'd probably buy another one or at least save for an ipad2 or something..

Drachen
06-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Still really like my touchpad. Not using it as much these days, but that is because school is out at the moment. I just recently bought a LG tone bluetooth headset and I have been watching netflix while washing dishes and shit on my touchpad. I love doing this.

DMC
06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
It's a fad for a large number of users who bought it because it's a fad. There are business uses that make it a convenience, but it's major market is based on a fad. I would get my money back. You can buy a decent TV for that money if you want to watch TV.

We stack so much unneeded shit in our closets that we just had to have. Imagine if all that money was stacked in there instead.

Did you just sit around before it's inception thinking "I really wish I had something like a laptop without the keyboard and other interfaces that I could carry around with me and do basically worthless shit with"?

ElNono
06-03-2012, 06:05 PM
It's a fad for a large number of users who bought it because it's a fad. There are business uses that make it a convenience, but it's major market is based on a fad. I would get my money back. You can buy a decent TV for that money if you want to watch TV.

We stack so much unneeded shit in our closets that we just had to have. Imagine if all that money was stacked in there instead.

Did you just sit around before it's inception thinking "I really wish I had something like a laptop without the keyboard and other interfaces that I could carry around with me and do basically worthless shit with"?

Might not be for you, but my tablets are not in my closet and I do worthwhile shit on them... I actually have stayed away from buying laptops for the longest time because they were too expensive and not portable enough to do the stuff I do on a tablet.

Creepn
06-03-2012, 06:48 PM

Just shut up. You were the one that started this whole "fad" bullshit. Do you even have a tablet?

FuzzyLumpkins
06-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Might not be for you, but my tablets are not in my closet and I do worthwhile shit on them... I actually have stayed away from buying laptops for the longest time because they were too expensive and not portable enough to do the stuff I do on a tablet.

Same.

From reading to microcontrollers.

Creepn
06-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I'll tell you what's most likely a fad. The new moving speaker by Bose I keep seeing. That thing will be sitting in the closet more times than not.