PDA

View Full Version : Parker withdraws from NBA draft after injury

spursupporter
06-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Parker withdraws from NBA draft after injury
Former guard ineligible to return to play at NU after hiring an agent
By Zach Silka

June 23, 2005

Former Northwestern point guard T.J. Parker withdrew from the upcoming NBA draft due to injury Wednesday. Parker said he now will pursue a professional basketball career in Europe and re-enter the draft next year.

Because he withdrew from NU over Spring Break and hired agent Marc Fleisher, Parker is ineligible to return to NU for his senior season.

"I hurt my ankle and I can't play basketball for two weeks, so that means I'm missing out on summer workouts," Parker said from San Antonio where he is watching his brother Tony Parker, a guard for the San Antonio Spurs, compete in the NBA Finals.

Parker was working out with the Washington Wizards when he went up for a lay-up and sprained his right ankle. This was the third of 10 scheduled workouts Parker had with NBA teams, he said.

"My agent and I thought about it for a long time," Parker said. "He thinks it's better if I go play one year in Europe and come back next year and do it over again."

Parker said the Seattle Supersonics had talked to him about drafting him with one of their two second-round picks in the draft, to be held June 28.

In addition to Washington, Parker also worked out with the Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks, with both also expressing interest in him, he said.

Now, Parker said he and Fleisher will be in contact with European teams in France and Spain. Parker said he is looking for a team that will give him the opportunity to play at least 25-30 minutes a night in order to showcase himself for NBA scouts.

"We're going to take a look at all the teams and we're going to see what's the best shot for me," Parker said.

Parker declared for the NBA draft on March 29, shortly after the conclusion of NU's basketball season in which the Wildcats finished with a 15-16 overall record -- one win shy of postseason eligibility.

Parker averaged 9.7 points and 2.3 assists in 33 minutes for the Cats in his junior season. In three seasons at NU, the 6-foot-2 guard averaged 10 points and 2.8 assists.