PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Tim Duncan's Spurs still unshakeable to their core after 15 seasons

Uriel
05-28-2012, 05:14 AM
Another amazing article by Johnny Ludden with plenty of interesting revelations.

SAN ANTONIO, Tex. – Tim Duncan handed Stephen Jackson the ball, and suddenly it was 2003 all over again. Jackson raising up from 25 feet. Duncan's eyes growing you're-not-really-going-to-shoot-that wide. The 3-pointer sliding through the net. Duncan patting Jackson on the head, the roar of the AT&T Center falling upon all these San Antonio Spurs, another tense late-May playoff battle turning in their direction.

The Spurs rallied to take Game 1 of the Western Conference finals from the Oklahoma City Thunder, needing just three minutes to erase a nine-point deficit in the final quarter. It was their 19th straight victory, tying the NBA record for the longest winning streak extended in the postseason, and, no, Duncan didn't expect this. Truth be told, he wondered, at times, like everyone else. After all those playoff wars won and lost, wouldn't the Spurs finally dismantle themselves and try something new?

"I heard we were dead," Duncan said.

Duncan laughed. He was sitting at the Spurs' practice facility, two days before the start of these conference finals. Gregg Popovich walked past and chided him for sharing a private moment with a reporter. Across Duncan's 15 NBA seasons, the only coach he's known is Popovich. The Spurs' All-Star guards – Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili – have played with Duncan for 11 and 10 seasons, respectively. This isn't normal. Not in today's pack-for-South-Beach NBA.

So, yes, Duncan wondered. He wondered whether Ginobili would eventually want a bigger role. He wondered whether Parker, in what Duncan likes to call "his Hollywood years," wanted a bigger market. And he wondered whether his own body would allow him to keep playing at the level he needed.

"But we've all found a home here in San Antonio," Duncan said, "and we all love it here."

They've stayed for one simple reason: "It works," Duncan said. "There's no two ways about it. If something doesn't work, you break it up and you do something else. We've all accepted our roles, we've evolved over the years and we've all been happy with it because we believe."

They believe because Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford have given them reason to believe. As the league changed, Popovich adapted. The Spurs don't defend the way they did when they won four championships, but they score better. Buford gave Popovich a roster to fit, surrounding the Spurs' Big Three with young legs and sure shots. Gary Neal and Tiago Splitter arrived from Europe last season, and there they were Sunday, helping start the comeback in the fourth quarter.

Popovich has long valued toughness over talent, and the Spurs heard as much when he scolded them in a second-half huddle. "I want some nasty," Popovich barked.

Jackson's ears naturally perked up. " 'Nasty' is my middle name," he said. "Stephen 'Nasty' Jackson."

Jackson won a championship with the Spurs in 2003, left a month later and Duncan and Popovich have missed him ever since. He shouldn't be here now, but the Spurs landed him at the trade deadline while cleaning up one of their few mistakes. They'd given Richard Jefferson a four-year, $39 million extension two summers ago that was regrettable the moment the ink dried on the contract. When Golden State acquired Jackson in the Andrew Bogut trade 10 weeks ago, Buford immediately called Warriors general manager Larry Riley.

"Pop," Buford told Riley, "still thinks he can coach Jack."

Jackson had already worn out the Warriors with his tempestuousness two seasons earlier. They had no use for him now. They took the Spurs' first-round pick and Jefferson and sent them Jackson, who couldn't have been happier to hear he was returning to San Antonio.

"I lost my mind," he said. "My hair fell out and grew back in like 30 minutes."

Jackson's contract is a year shorter than Jefferson's, but the trade benefited the Spurs on the court as much as it did financially. Moving Jefferson freed minutes for rookie Kawhi Leonard. Popovich could pull Jackson or leave him sitting and not worry about wrecking Jackson's confidence the way he did with Jefferson. Jackson comes back the next day, the next quarter, ready to fight again, just as he did Sunday.

Jackson took over the assignment of guarding Kevin Durant for much of the final quarter, lining up alongside Ginobili, Duncan and Parker as the Spurs surged past the Thunder. Had anything changed from all those years ago? "Me and Manu are Danny Ferry and Steve Kerr now," Jackson said, "and Kawhi and Danny Green are me and Manu when we first came."

Some of the roles are different and they continue to adjust nightly. Ginobili led on Sunday while Parker has led for much of this season. A year ago, Ginobili played with a fractured elbow as the Spurs bowed out to the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round, and it was then that franchise officials considered breaking up their core. The Spurs talked to teams about moving into the top five of the draft. Parker was the bait – with one hefty repellant: Any team that wanted him also had to take Jefferson's contract.

Through all these conversations over the years, Popovich has clung to the same belief: The Spurs shouldn't waste any of Duncan's final years. "Will this deal make us better than we are now?" Popovich would ask. "Timmy didn't sign on to wait."

The Spurs weren't sure whether this would be Duncan's final season, and neither was he. His left knee routinely ached a year ago, limiting both his minutes and his effectiveness.

"I got to the point where I was depressed and pissed off that my body wasn't doing the things that it used to do, and that I was deteriorating skill-wise," he said. "I'm a competitor. I want to be a staple on a team, I want to be a go-to guy on a team. When that changed, that obviously hurt a little bit. But I found ways to be a part of this team and be a big part of this team."

He was again on Sunday, totaling 16 points and 11 rebounds in 35 minutes, a testament to his health. While Kobe Bryant and Alex Rodriguez went to Europe to have platelet-rich plasma therapy on their arthritic knees last summer, Duncan stayed home – "I don't think I'm cool enough," he said. "You have to be an A-Rod or a Kobe to get invited to Germany" – and adjusted his offseason workouts. In truth, he weighs the same he weighed two years ago when he first slimmed down for training camp. The doctors have found a few things to help his knee and the brace he wears has been adjusted to offer more support.

Duncan now says it's realistic to expect him to play another year or two. Three or four years, he thinks, would be a stretch, even in his improved condition. This much is certain: He has little interest in testing the free-agent market when his contract ends after this season, negotiating leverage be damned.

"Though I shouldn't say that; I have to threaten them that I'll leave," he joked. "No … I'm not going anywhere. You can print that wherever you want to. I'm here and I'm a Spur for life."

Left for dead, and now Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are on the great run of their careers. Ginobili drove for one more layup late Sunday and Duncan wrapped him in a hug. After all these years, they haven't gone anywhere. They're still standing, still together.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--tim-duncan-s-spurs-still-unshakeable-to-their-core-after-15-seasons.html

Spursfanfromafar
05-28-2012, 05:24 AM
"Though I shouldn't say that; I have to threaten them that I'll leave," he joked. "No … I'm not going anywhere. You can print that wherever you want to. I'm here and I'm a Spur for life."

Wow! TD is an angel! A franchise angel. If the Spurs win No. 5 this year.. They have to pay Duncan his due. I am sure they will. Anything less than $12mil/year will be ungrateful.

I hope TD plays for atleast 3 more years..and wins atleast one more after this one (hopefully).

timvp
05-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Got damn I wish Ludden would write about the Spurs more often. I have to read that again to soak it all up. BRB.

FkLA
05-28-2012, 05:31 AM

Timmy comes off as really loving this organization and to lesser extent this city. We were able to assume as much from his loyalty to the team but its really nice to hear some direct quotes since hes such a low key guy. :tu

timvp
05-28-2012, 05:34 AM
They've stayed for one simple reason: "It works," Duncan said. "There's no two ways about it. If something doesn't work, you break it up and you do something else. We've all accepted our roles, we've evolved over the years and we've all been happy with it because we believe." Great quote.

The Spurs talked to teams about moving into the top five of the draft. Parker was the baitTbh, I'm still not sold the Spurs were actually trying to trade Parker. I think it was more of a ploy to increase Hill's trade value.

But if the Spurs were trying to trade Parker and Jefferson for a top five pick in the draft ... that ended up being the greatest trade the Spurs never made.

"I got to the point where I was depressed and pissed off that my body wasn't doing the things that it used to do, and that I was deteriorating skill-wise," he said. "I'm a competitor. I want to be a staple on a team, I want to be a go-to guy on a team. When that changed, that obviously hurt a little bit. But I found ways to be a part of this team and be a big part of this team."Funny that TD says he was depressed and pissed off because he has always kept the same demeanor. But, yeah, I'm sure that Grizzlies series was really frustrating for him.

Duncan now says it's realistic to expect him to play another year or two. Three or four years, he thinks, would be a stretch, even in his improved condition.The more the better but I'm hoping for at least two more.

"No … I'm not going anywhere. You can print that wherever you want to. I'm here and I'm a Spur for life." :cry Awesome :cry

FkLA
05-28-2012, 05:43 AM
^Hill was a pointguardPERIOD.

The fact that the Spurs didnt trade Parker had more to do with RJ than Hills supposed ineptitude at the PG position. Agree that not finding a suitor and keeping Tony turned out to be a great non-trade though.

DespЏrado
05-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Ludden with the goods.

Duncan awes me in new ways every year.

TDMVPDPOY
05-28-2012, 06:10 AM
tp+rj thats like 20m, no way thats worth a lottery pick...

Danny.Zhu
05-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Parker really was the bait?

blizz
05-28-2012, 06:32 AM

The fact that the Spurs didnt trade Parker had more to do with RJ than Hills supposed ineptitude at the PG position. Agree that not finding a suitor and keeping Tony turned out to be a great non-trade though.

Bullshit about Hill. He shrank in the playoffs and with the emergence of Neal he had to go. We would not be here with him at the pointPERIOD

joeSpurs
05-28-2012, 06:34 AM
How much less money will Timmy take to allow other guys like Diaw, Green to get paid their market value? Can he take 10-15 mil?

flipcritic
05-28-2012, 06:46 AM
This actually got me teary eyed.

FkLA
05-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Bullshit about Hill. He shrank in the playoffs and with the emergence of Neal he had to go. We would not be here with him at the pointPERIOD

You completely twisted my post tbh. All I said was that he was a PG.

benefactor
05-28-2012, 07:17 AM
They've stayed for one simple reason: "It works," Duncan said. "There's no two ways about it. If something doesn't work, you break it up and you do something else. We've all accepted our roles, we've evolved over the years and we've all been happy with it because we believe."

:cryI luv this guy:cry

Old School 44
05-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Jackson took over the assignment of guarding Kevin Durant for much of the final quarter, lining up alongside Ginobili, Duncan and Parker as the Spurs surged past the Thunder. Had anything changed from all those years ago? "Me and Manu are Danny Ferry and Steve Kerr now," Jackson said, "and Kawhi and Danny Green are me and Manu when we first came."

Great article.

So Jack thinks he's Danny Ferry and Manu's Steve Kerr? :lol
I don't know about "making love to pressure", but Ferry could be a little "Nasty".

Russo21
05-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Fantastic read, thankyou

Russo21
05-28-2012, 07:23 AM
I wander if There really was some medical treatment in Germany that could save Tim's knee's? Surely he would do it if there was? I mean why not?

OldSilentHill
05-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Timmy 4ever. I'm crying.

Russo21
05-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Timmy 4ever. I'm crying.

Being real here. Some stories from and involving the Spurs pretty much can put you to tears sometimes. They've just been so great for us. And for me, lifechanging. I'm forever in debt to Tim for all he's done for me. The man is a freakin Angel amoung men.

flipspursfan
05-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Timmy is a classy, classy guy. Not only players but people in general should look up to this guy in how he manages himself and the people around them to make them better. Tim is a class act and I'm very happy to have grown up watching him. Inb4 my age is out there. But in all seriousness, Tim Duncan is a dime a dozen and the Spurs are lucky to have had his services in the last decade. To you, Mr. Duncan :toast

Slomo
05-28-2012, 08:43 AM
First things first:

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Smack/Miss_Ludden.jpg

I had goose bumps reading the first paragraph. Please, please, please make it happen, I feel the group we have playing for the Spurs definitely deserves another ring (yes even Bonner).

"But we've all found a home here in San Antonio," Duncan said, "and we all love it here."

Yes it's funny how SA is often made fun of in the media and how a lot of good people seem to like it. Tony said some really nice things about it in that documentary, and Tim is basically confirming all that.

If I was a San Antonian (sp?) I really would not pay any attention anymore to Cuban's or Chuck's joke, I mean how can you take those comments seriously when you know guys like Robinson, Bowen, Tim, Tony.... came over and decided to stay because they like it?

Left for dead, and now Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are on the great run of their careers. Ginobili drove for one more layup late Sunday and Duncan wrapped him in a hug. After all these years, they haven't gone anywhere. They're still standing, still together.

Wow! just wow. Confident, smart, modest and one the best basketball players ever to walk this earth. It's a privilege to root for a Duncan lead team (and a hell of a pleasure too).

Kuestmaster
05-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Amazing... Got to love Timmy's quotes

And the "Still standing, still together" ending. Just fantastic

MI21
05-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I haven't read this yet and I'm about to now, but my initial reaction on seeing a Ludden article = :cry :cry :cry :cry

polandprzem
05-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Jeez you such crybabies

You have his article nad you are crying not getting more :rolleyes:

Tough up !

Dr. John R. Brinkley
05-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Where has Ludden been? I didn't know he was still writing. Btw, yahoo has so much access it's like they're part of the team.

Russo21
05-28-2012, 09:50 AM
"No … I'm not going anywhere. You can print that wherever you want to. I'm here and I'm a Spur for life."

So amazing. Thankyou Tim Duncan.Thankyou Greg Popovich. Thankyou Tony Parker. Thankyou Manu freakin Ginobili. As consistent as gravity they have and never will let me down. I truly love these Spurs.

manufan10
05-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Man, what a great read. I'm enjoying the way this team has been playing, and I hope these guys can get one more championship on their way out of stellar careers. :cry

Russo21
05-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Lets hope this continues 'THE GREAT RUN' and finish it with title 5, will be so amazing.

Russo21
05-28-2012, 09:58 AM
"No … I'm not going anywhere. You can print that wherever you want to. I'm here and I'm a Spur for life."

That typifies the spurs right there. Their Leader, their emotional leader, on the court and off. Basically putting it in concrete he is a spur for life. That is fantastic.

Other teams have superstars demanding to be traded to other teams and all that stupid shit. Tim just stays in Texas, chilling in San Antone, on the path to the greatness that is championship number 5.

To have your superstar say that and to actually do it, doesnt happen around this league anymore.

Tim Duncan, you are a true superstar, a legend amoungst mortal men. I love you mate.

Spursmania
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Timmy and the guys deserve at least one more.
Timmy one of the least selfish and humble superstars that has ever played the game.
Fantastic article.

bigdog
05-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I swear I was about to tear up a little. Damn, I miss Ludden's writing for the E-N. From the first paragraph to the last, this was awesome. Great quotes from Timmy and Jack. I hope we get number 5.

Russo21
05-28-2012, 10:04 AM
lovin the passion for our spurs on here. Great stuff.

Marcus Bryant
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
I am glad the one pro team I live and die with can have an article like that written about it.

Russo21
05-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I am glad the one pro team I live and die with can have an article like that written about it.

:toast we are very blessed to follow this team so closely

smeagol
05-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Got Damm! WHat a great effing article!

Spurminator
05-28-2012, 10:43 AM
I got chills about eight different times during that article.

silverblk mystix
05-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice article.

Timmy.

roycrikside
05-28-2012, 11:50 AM
To me it looks like for some reason Tim respects Ludden more than any other writer. He wouldn't give any other writer those kind of quotes and he certainly wouldn't talk to anyone individually during a practice. For whatever reason he doesn't give Harvey or Monroe stuff like this (though a lot of people on the Spurs brass seem to like Buck).

I don't think he even gave Chris Ballard from SI stuff this good, though Ballard was asking him more big picture legacy questions than ones specific to this year.

blizz
05-28-2012, 02:52 PM
You completely twisted my post tbh. All I said was that he was a PG.
Gotcha

ShoogarBear
05-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Another great Ludden article.

George Hill per 36 minutes: 4.1 assists, 1.5 turnovers
Gary Neal per 36 minutes: 3.5 assists, 1.8 turnovers

So if George Hill is a PG, Gary Neal must be a backup point guard.

TDomination
05-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Man I miss Ludden being with SAEN.

What a great article, I loved his parts on Jackson. And the quote about Timmy wanting to be a spur for life made my heart melt.

dakota_spursfan
05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
when duncan finally does decide to hang it up, i see myself going into a state like the show "awake" on nbc. if i cant picture duncan out there playing in the black and silver, then i really dont want to come back to reality. love that man

Spurs Brazil
05-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Great read. Tim Duncan is the BEST

SA210
05-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Enjoy this season guys, every moment of it. I will never forget.

Arcadian
05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Great article.

To all the Spurs fans who thought about trading Parker or Ginobili in the 2008-2011 drought: LOL, you were wrong.

Juanobili
05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
It's been five years since our last championship. Winning it all this year... might be the sweetest one yet. To see these guys give 100% year AFTER year makes me really appreciate this team and proud to call myself a Spurs fan. I can already see the tears in most of these guys' eyes if they make it all the way. Believe!

UZER
05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I think the Spurs lost any chance of repeating when they lost Stephen Jackson and signed Hedo Turkoglu. They needed that "nasty" against the Lakers in '04 and in '06 against the Mavs.

I hated the day that guy left the Spurs. Glad to have him back.

Capt Bringdown
05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Just goes to show ya how quickly and dramatically things can change. Getting rid of Jefferson was like hitting the reset button.

Dingle Barry
05-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Tim Duncan, I love you, man.

-21-
05-28-2012, 07:07 PM
One or two more years? Damn, I'm gonna miss Tim.

Whisky Dog
05-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Wow it's Mighty dusty in here. Damn allergies

Stringer_Bell
05-28-2012, 09:15 PM
That's easily one of the best articles I've ever read, not just for sports but in general. The Timmy and SJax quotes are superb, and it really drives home how wonderful it's going to be when the Big 3's jerseys take their place among the rafters. Our team has had intelligence (Timmy), intensity (Manu), and confidence (Tony) at consistently high levels for over a decade...and we're still standing!

SenorSpur
05-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Great read!

Duncan is truly the creme de la creme of NBA superstars. What the article didn't say was that Kobe Bryant would've never allowed another teammate to emerge as the featured player in the offense. Kobe Bryant would've never nutured young players the way Duncan has. He has truly been a gift for the franchise.

Boy, do I miss Ludden.

tesseractive
05-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Great read!

Duncan is truly the creme de la creme of NBA superstars. What the article didn't say was that Kobe Bryant would've never allowed another teammate to emerge as the featured player in the offense. Kobe Bryant would've never nutured young players the way Duncan has. He has truly been a gift for the franchise.

Let's not forget, Duncan had an amazing mentor in that regard.

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. :toast

Russo21
05-28-2012, 09:59 PM
when duncan finally does decide to hang it up, i see myself going into a state like the show "awake" on nbc. if i cant picture duncan out there playing in the black and silver, then i really dont want to come back to reality. love that man

lol very true

Holt's Cat
05-28-2012, 10:17 PM
The Spurrrrrs are what Americans claim to want their professional sports teams to be like, but in reality, Americans want to cheer crackheads.

Libri
05-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Excellent article by Ludden. :tu

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2012, 10:42 PM
We were definitely spoiled by having Johnny as our beat writer. Given the candor Timmy provides to him for this piece, it also sounds like Timmy has a strong relationship with Johnny as well and is willing to give him access that few others ever get. Pop ribbing him about it makes it sound as if the organization has great affection for Johnny. He's certainly missed around here.

crc21209
05-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Damn, Ludden does it again. What a perfectly, beautifully written article. I am truly soaking up every bit of this run right now, and these last great years...because soon...#21 will be gone. But until that day comes, you know him, Tony, Manu, and Pop are going to come out guns blazing and fighting like theres no tomorrow! Heres to the Spurs! :toast