PDA

View Full Version : From OKC- Manu must e feared

Manu-of-steel
05-28-2012, 07:10 AM
OKC Thunder: Spurs' Manu Ginobili is a ballplayer the Thunder must fear
The veteran virtually carried San Antonio in the fourth quarter of a Game 1 victory.

By Michael Sherman | Published: May 27, 2012 Comment on this article 0

SAN ANTONIO — A couple days ago, Kevin Durant wondered why so many questions leading up to the Thunder-Spurs series focused on how the Thunder would stop the Spurs, and not the other way around.

I wonder if he still wonders.

I wonder if Monday the Thunder will spend any more energy making sure everyone knows Oklahoma City respects but does not fear the San Antonio Spurs.

Because after Game 1, a healthy dose of both seems to be in order.

There should be utmost respect for the team that turned the fourth quarter in to a finishing school if Oklahoma City was paying attention. And there should be fear of Manu Ginobili.

The fourth quarter of San Antonio's 101-98 victory was Ginobili's; everyone else was just playing in it. If you don't fear what Ginobili can do — what he did — it might be tough to get serious about trying to stop it in Game 2.

The Thunder did a decent job defending everyone else. The point guard duel between Tony Parker and Russell Westbrook didn't materialize, much to Westbrook's credit.

Parker's 42-point statement when they squared off a couple months ago and overall strong play vs. OKC apparently got through to Westbrook, who for three quarters looked like the defensive wiz Sam Presti drafted out of UCLA. Parker was 4 of 12 shooting until the fourth, and there were times when he looked more than a little bit unsure of himself.

Kendrick Perkins kept Tim Duncan sufficiently in check. You can live and win with Duncan's 6-of-15 shooting, especially with Perk batting foul trouble.

Oklahoma City cannot win — and the Spurs cannot lose — with Ginobili doing this thing, his thing.

Ginobili capped a 26-point performance with a near perfect fourth quarter of shooting (3 of 3 from the field, 5 of 5 from the line) and orchestration of the Spurs pick-and-roll magic.

He split defenders trying to ambush him at the point of a pick. He nailed step-back jumpers. He had the game on a string. And so much for the talk that he'd lost his 3-point touch in the postseason (29 percent going into Game 1). Ginobili was 3 of 5 from 3-point range Sunday night.

He was most deadly, however, attacking the basket. With San Antonio trailing 71-62, Ginobili executed a perfect pick-and-roll with reserve Tiago Splitter for a layup on the first possession of the fourth quarter. And right then it felt like something had changed.

“That's Manu's game," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's a scorer. He's somebody we depend on to create and make things happen. Whether it's shooting or driving or assisting somebody else. That's what he's done for us his whole career. And it's very important to us.

“Without that, we have a tough time winning.”

Count me among the folks who have compared Thunder sixth-man extraordinaire James Harden to Ginobili. I think I've assigned a story or 12 to Darnell Mayberry on that very topic.

After Game 1, I think I'll quietly back away from that thought for a while.

“He's just left-handed and crafty,” said Harden, who knows left-handed and crafty when he sees it, even when it's blowing past him. “He can get to the rim. He made plays in the fourth quarter. We've got to do a better job of containing him and make him make passes. Like I've said, he had a very good fourth quarter.”

I don't know if James noticed, but Ginobili was pretty fierce at the end of the first quarter, when he scored seven straight points at a time the Thunder looked poised to run wild on the Spurs.

“Ginobili was terrific tonight, guys,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. “He was making shots, making threes, getting to the basket, getting to the foul line. That's what he does. He finds cracks that you don't think it's even possible.

“He figures it out to get in there and get through to our guys.”

Now it's Brooks' job to get this through to them: Manu Ginobili with the basketball in his hand is scary.

Read more: http://newsok.com/okc-thunder-spurs-manu-ginobili-is-a-ballplayer-the-thunder-must-fear/article/3679417#ixzz1wAKCjeLx

OldSilentHill
05-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Well Manu won't have a night like Game 1, at least on Game 2.

Someone else has to step up. Who?

racm
05-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Danny Green?

Tbh Manu's the kind of guy who plays best when the Spurs need a closer.

CubanMustGo
05-28-2012, 07:26 AM

If the team doesn't have a million turnovers in the first half again and shoots better than typical Playoff Bonner from three they won't need anyone to rescue them.

racm
05-28-2012, 07:28 AM
If the team doesn't have a million turnovers in the first half again and shoots better than typical Playoff Bonner from three they won't need anyone to rescue them.

Shook off rust and OKC pushing the pace tbh

Plus Derek Fisher won't have a near perfect shooting night again

OldSilentHill
05-28-2012, 07:35 AM
You both have a poin about the turnovers and Fisher.

joeSpurs
05-28-2012, 07:45 AM
The Thunders defense was amazing in the first 3 quarters. Took the Spurs a lot of time to figure it out and adjust. Only 2 turnovers in the second half.
The Spurs also figured out a way to slow down Durant in the second half. I'm sure Durant will see this type of defense more in game 2. Westbrook is a volume shooter. But he is a 35% shooter. Safalosha was unconscious for a while. Derek Fisher won't go 5 for 5 again, regardless ... And I'm sure Harden will play much better. I think it will only get tougher for the Thunder going forward. Let's see how good they are at making adjustments.

Jimcs50
05-28-2012, 08:45 AM

Says you.

Mnau is capable of having 3 more just like that.

wut
05-28-2012, 09:03 AM
yeh I don't get the sense that Manu is going to wilt away. Manu is a streaky player, he will go for 6 points one night, then 26 the next....but don't get the wrong idea, it's not because he is shooting poorly, it's because Manu is the ultimate team player, he steps aside when not needed, and takes the reigns when needed most.

Whisky Dog
05-28-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm becoming convinced that when healthy, Manu just knows when he's needed to raise his game and he did it on cue. He wasn't needed like this in the first two rounds, but with Green having a bad night and Parker being less than stellar he knew it was his time.

The beauty about this is that any night there are a lot of guys who can get you 26 and boost the Spurs to a win. If they focus on Manu like the article says 5 other guys might take up the slack. That's how you win all these games is having guys step up when other guys are off their game. If Durant or Westbrook or Harden are having a bad game, who on OKC will step up and give you 20+ to carry them?

TJastal
05-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Manu really made things look easy out there. He can really punish the thunder when they go small (no shot blockers). He had several very uncontested layups. And thankfully, it appears he's not trying to make the sportscenter highlight reel anymore by attempting to dunk the basketball. I was very happy to see Manu lay the ball in gently and put as little stress on those ankles and knees as possible.

OKC is going to have a tough time containing him and Splitter this series.

wildbill2u
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Like Pop says, "He's Manu Ginobilli"

TJastal
05-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh I especially loved that layup where Manu faked a pass to the corner and blew past Durant. Durant was so totally faked out his jockstrap I don't think he ever even saw Manu's layup. :lmao

In my opinion, a play like that deserves to make the highlight reel more than some random dunk due to degree of difficulty because it takes serious IQ and skill to pull off.

100%duncan
05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Eat shit, doubters.

Wild Cobra Kai
05-28-2012, 10:03 AM
The thing is, OKC had almost everything break right, and they lost. They shot well from the arc, we shot like shit. They bottled up Parker. They contained Tim. The got 11 steals and 9 blocks. Many of those things will NOT happen again next game.

To game plan for Manu, they're going to HAVE to concede something else. That's the nature of the horror facing teams facing us this year.

smeagol
05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm becoming convinced that when healthy, Manu just knows when he's needed to raise his game and he did it on cue. He wasn't needed like this in the first two rounds, but with Green having a bad night and Parker being less than stellar he knew it was his time.

The beauty about this is that any night there are a lot of guys who can get you 26 and boost the Spurs to a win. If they focus on Manu like the article says 5 other guys might take up the slack. That's how you win all these games is having guys step up when other guys are off their game. If Durant or Westbrook or Harden are having a bad game, who on OKC will step up and give you 20+ to carry them?

:tu

Very valid point . . .

greyforest
05-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Like Pop says, "He's Manu Ginobilli"

KFU-wXsRhic

tesseractive
05-28-2012, 01:16 PM
“He's just left-handed and crafty,” said Harden, who knows left-handed and crafty when he sees it, even when it's blowing past him.

:lmao

tesseractive
05-28-2012, 01:17 PM
KFU-wXsRhic

Pop with the goods. :tu

bresilhac
05-28-2012, 01:39 PM
The thing is, OKC had almost everything break right, and they lost. They shot well from the arc, we shot like shit. They bottled up Parker. They contained Tim. The got 11 steals and 9 blocks. Many of those things will NOT happen again next game.

To game plan for Manu, they're going to HAVE to concede something else. That's the nature of the horror facing teams facing us this year.

Excellent point. The chances of the Spurs offense being that horrible in a game 2 first half are next to nil. More likely San Antonio will run out to a eight or ten point lead by half time Tuesday. Then it'll be more of the same in the second half. I get the feeling that the Spurs really are genuinely unbeatable.

Proxy
05-28-2012, 01:51 PM

If they're going to guard the three point line and leave Perkins out there without ibaka backing him, Manu will have the looks he wants. Thabo would need to play better. He won't.

DAF86
05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
What got Manu going was his awful start. After he turned the ball over a couple of times and got his shot blocked another pair he was disgusted with himself, you could see it in his face.

How many times do you see Manu taking a forced fade away jumper with a guy on his face and a lot of time on the clock like he did on his first FG yesterday? He just wanted to end with his bullshit play once and for all.

DAF86
05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
What got Manu going was his awful start. After he turned the ball over a couple of times and got his shot blocked another pair he was disgusted with himself, you could see it in his face.

How many times do you see Manu taking a forced fade away jumper with a guy on his face and a lot of time on the clock like he did on his first FG yesterday? He just wanted to end with his bullshit play once and for all.

timtonymanurich
05-28-2012, 02:55 PM

__________________________________________________ _______________

I seem to remember posting something like this not too long ago...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198060&highlight=Obi-WAN

:toast:hat

Spursfan092120
05-28-2012, 03:01 PM

Why not?

TDomination
05-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh I especially loved that layup where Manu faked a pass to the corner and blew past Durant. Durant was so totally faked out his jockstrap I don't think he ever even saw Manu's layup. :lmao

I was :lol at Durant, but thats what Manu does. Durant had'nt seen that all year. He doesn't know lol

Nathan89
05-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Manu steps up when Parker plays like shit. He did the same thing in game 1 vs the Clippers.

Or is he only capable of producing in 1 game after a long break?:stirpot:

emanueldavidginobili
05-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I was :lol at Durant, but thats what Manu does. Durant had'nt seen that all year. He doesn't know lol

He knows that Manu might come out of no where and block his dunk though LOL. Manu is honestly incredible. Its just a joy to watch and we wont be seeing this for much longer, him and Timmy..its just been a hell of a ride to watch them over the years and is just blessed to see them play. If the Spurs make it to the finals and end up winning, I hope Manu goes off and wins finals MVP, that would just be perfect.

Ghjkll
05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Manu is capable of playing like this for short periods of time, like 5-10 games...People here forget that he is a rhytm player, when he is on a tear and healthy, just wach out...Of course, sometimes he goes cold for strechtes too, like the first 8 games in this playoffs, sans one or two good ones...But even in those bad games, he is due to make the game-defining play. It´s certainly a rare and unique talent. Even Kobe had a game in which he went 2-18, and then proceeds to hit the game winner. Manu has the same quality. He lives to make things happen in the biggest stage. The nice thing here is that we are deep enough to avoid overusing him. That´s great. Of course, if he goes 20-5-5 in the low 30´s minutes he plays in the series, the Spurs are almost unbeatable. Let´s hope that we are witnessing the start of a great streak of games, and that lead us to another ring and a Finals MVP for him. It would be a perfect final act to an amazing career and cement his place as an all-time great.

kaji157
05-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Manu steps up when Parker plays like shit. He did the same thing in game 1 vs the Clippers.

Or is he only capable of producing in 1 game after a long break?:stirpot:

Bost assestments are quite wrong, first because he produced well against Utah in the 4th game (17 points on 11 shots) and second because Tony Parker has been horrible shooting the ball since the first 3 games of the PO.

BEFORE SOMEONE CALLS ME ANTI PARKER CHECK BELOW.

Tony Parker has been far from dominating this playoffs, he is just shooting a lot, his averages have been great during the first 3 games against Utah (he shot .565 during those games), but on all the other games he is shooting .350, which is awfull for a first option.

His playoffs average are also far from great at .426

Actually Ginobili´s and Parker´s averages are pretty similar given that Manu has also been shooting so-so at .438 .

Here is a FG% by series comparision:

----------Ginobili----Parker
1st Round---.394------.500
2nd Round --.405------.361
WCF(GM1)---.643----- .400

Sometimes is better to check out the boxscores, even when they don{t tell all the truth, but they also don´t lie.

skulls138
05-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Says you.

Mnau is capable of having 3 more just like that.

Agreed. Whats the logic in Manu's performance being a fluke?

Wild Cobra Kai
05-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Agreed. Whats the logic in Manu's performance being a fluke?

I also agree. It's not like he dropped 40 or 50 on them. He can drop 26 about any time he wants to. If they think the timing (crunch) is a fluke, I invite them to review the playoff career of one Emmanuel David Ginobili. Clutch is his calling card.

m33p0
05-28-2012, 09:31 PM

is that timvp behind you with a pair of scissors to snip your testicles off?

The Reckoning
05-28-2012, 10:00 PM
7tUHdSBYSQg

PublicOption
05-28-2012, 11:21 PM
When everyone elses butthole shuts under the pressure, our guys are shitting all over the floor.