PDA

View Full Version : gotlieb show on espn just called the spurs boring

td4mvp3
05-28-2012, 05:11 PM
and meant it. not sure how he justifies that, he didn't try, just said they were boring.

SpursRock20
05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Gotlieb?

ColinB
05-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes, his NBA career was much more exciting.

SpursRock20
05-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah the Thunder's dunks were very exciting. Oh wait, they missed most of them, oh well.

td4mvp3
05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
i'm just looking at spursrock20's gif and wondering how is that boring?!

SpursRock20
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
i'm just looking at spursrock20's gif and wondering how is that boring?!

Because he didn't dunk it. :sleep

admiralsnackbar
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
and meant it. not sure how he justifies that
He doesn't have to. ESPN doesn't care about analysis, it cares about ratings, and for whatever reason, viewers must be more inclined to watch cartoonishly bad arguments based on bad opinion than anything resembling good analysis. There is no other explanation for their line-up of talking heads (be they pro- or anti-Spur).

I mean Stephen A. Smith? He's the closest thing in sports news I can think of to a "heel" in pro-wrestling. It's not his job to have the opinions he reads off the teleprompters, just to deliver them in the most inflammatory and arrogant way possible.

Such is life. We're still closer to getting our 5th than we have been in years, so just enjoy the ride. May be awhile before we're this close again. :toast

gaKNOW!blee
05-28-2012, 05:36 PM
It honestly makes me laugh.

Like watching westbrook dribble for 14 seconds, hand it off to durant and have him go 1 on 1 the next 10 seconds is soooo exciting.

Steve-O-Matic
05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
and meant it. not sure how he justifies that, he didn't try, just said they were boring.

Who cares. This horse has already been beaten to death, rendered, cut up into steaks, barbecued, doused with A-1, served, eaten, shit out, and spread as fertilizer.

Move on.

davidbowie
05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
who on earth gives a shit what doug gotlieb has to say hahahah

td4mvp3
05-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Who cares. This horse has already been beaten to death, rendered, cut up into steaks, barbecued, doused with A-1, served, eaten, shit out, and spread as fertilizer.

Move on.

but that's just it, folks, even at espn, have been going out of their way to say the spurs aren't boring, and the logic seems obvious: you expect the spurs to go to the finals. you can't poison the viewership well by telling everyone the spurs are boring, why would that lure people into watching?

but not only did this guy say the spurs were boring, he started gushing about how exciting and young and energetic the thunder were. i was just surprised, based on game 1, both teams seem pretty exciting.

Keepin' it real
05-28-2012, 05:49 PM

Move on.

Move on? Why, because you've had enough of it? Get real. People will stop talking about it when they feel like it, not when you say so.

SnakeBoy
05-28-2012, 05:50 PM
From a talking head perspective the spurs are still boring. No player conflicts, no star calling out the coach, no anything. If you talk about the spurs you get to talk about spacing and ball movement. Great if your a spurs fan or die hard NBA fan but on a national sports talk show still pretty boring stuff and a ratings killer.

Who cares, I like my spurs boring.

InK
05-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Oh my, lets all whine about it for the 1000th time. Thats what you enjoy the most anyways...

Keepin' it real
05-28-2012, 06:06 PM
I can't think of another major sports team that gets criticized like this, for being boring. The thing is, the Spurs are not the only team that lacks controversy, and not every team gets high ratings, but those other teams don't get labeled boring.

So again, the question: why single out San Antonio? And why criticize using something as subjective and trivial as calling a team boring? Especially in a year like this, in which it's obvious that the Spurs will likely be there until the end.

"The Spurs are BORING, so tune in tonight to watch the Spurs!" It makes no sense.

G-Dawgg
05-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Fire the idiot. He obviously is going on reputation and doesn't actually watch games. The Spurs have not been a boring team for a long time now....

doldrums
05-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I listened to the show/quell out he was very complimentary. You guys are crazy looking for the smallest slight to go off. Relax and see you for game 2 tomorrow.

joeSpurs
05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Check out Doug Gottlieb on wikipedia. Gottlieb went to college in Oklahoma, married a girl from Oklahoma, played "professional" in Oklahoma ... and so fort.
He is also good friend with Scott Brooks, current coach of Oklahoma.
Which team do you think he supports?

dmon35
05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I just heard his comments on espn.com, but i gotta say its not that big a deal. He admitted he hates the Spurs. He admitted that he loves the superstar drama kinda basketball. He praises the Thunder cause theyre so young. But what the dumb fuck seems to forget, is that the Thunder takes after the Spurs. Either way, we all know, that any real respectable NBA analyst who is worth a darn, can appreciate fundamental basketball.

dmon35
05-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Check out Doug Gottlieb on wikipedia. Gottlieb went to college in Oklahoma, married a girl from Oklahoma, played "professional" in Oklahoma ... and so fort.

no wonder he sucks the Thunders dick....the dude praises the hell outta of them, but hates the spurs cause theyre "so boring" and "they win in such a boring fashion". Now that is an OBVIOUS hater. what a tool

DMX7
05-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Doug finds stealing people's credit card numbers much more exciting.

MajorMike
05-28-2012, 07:48 PM

You should read closer. He went to school at Oklahoma State, AFTER he was kicked out of Notre Dame for credit card fraud.

Doug is NOT "good friends" with Brooks. They used to play AAU ball against each other but not with each other and didn't know each other well at all. This all happened in the OC, not Oklahoma.

If you are going to flame on someone, at least don't make $hit up.

And it is Gottlieb, with two T's.

They are actually from the OC. His sister Wendy works in the Raiders' front office and his brother Gregg wasan assistant BB coach at Cal Berkley and is now their basketball operations lead.

Even OSU fans don't like Doug. He is a college analyst and knows nothing about the pro game.

He works thru WWLS in OKC which is the OKC flag station, so he gets local interviews. If E$PN wants to 'get inside' with people from OKC the ask Doug because WWLS lets him have free access to facilities and whatnot.

He doesn't have a homer bone in his body, and in fact, is known to be tougher on teams/people he has associations with.

And to top it all off, I thought his piece on the Spurs was very positive.

So, all in all, nothing you said in your post is correct other than he married a fellow OSU alum.

Solid D
05-28-2012, 07:50 PM
I heard the show today on ESPN. It wasn't Gottlieb. It was a guy sitting in for him.

DMC
05-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Wow, someone I never heard of finds the Spurs boring and it's thread worthy how?

100%duncan
05-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Gotlieb who? Seriously.

SenorSpur
05-28-2012, 09:22 PM
He doesn't have to. ESPN doesn't care about analysis, it cares about ratings, and for whatever reason, viewers must be more inclined to watch cartoonishly bad arguments based on bad opinion than anything resembling good analysis. There is no other explanation for their line-up of talking heads (be they pro- or anti-Spur).

I mean Stephen A. Smith? He's the closest thing in sports news I can think of to a "heel" in pro-wrestling. It's not his job to have the opinions he reads off the teleprompters, just to deliver them in the most inflammatory and arrogant way possible.

Stephen A. Smith also has repeated his mantra of "I'm tired of going to the Riverwalk". News Flash: The NBA playoffs are not decided based on Smith's preferred vacation spots. This jerk needs to get over himself and cover the playoffs without whining about the nightlife. Nobody cares about his personal destination preferences. For his sake, I hope Boston and San Antonio meet in the NBA Finals.

jimo2305
05-28-2012, 09:37 PM
as a spurs fan.. embrace the hate and just let our game do the talking

tesseractive
05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Tbh, basketball is boring unless dunking over a Kia in an in-game situation.

ViceCity86
05-29-2012, 09:53 AM
He's a dickhead.Always hating the Spurs.
He has dissed them on numerous espn shows.

housious
05-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Dear Clowns,

Gottlieb wasn't even on air yesterday. He had some no-name local hack filling in for him while he was on vacation.

Poolboy5623
05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
His show is the definition of boring...and so is he as a host! Why would you even watch those garbage ESPN shows?

Sean Cagney
05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
who on earth gives a shit what doug gotlieb has to say hahahahI don't even know who the F he is nor care to find out. :lol

PublicOption
05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Dear Clowns,

Gottlieb wasn't even on air yesterday. He had some no-name local hack filling in for him while he was on vacation.

gottlieb filled in for cowherd yesterday.

housious
05-29-2012, 12:59 PM
gottlieb filled in for cowherd yesterday.

Guess I'm the clown.

Carry on clowns.

LoneStarState'sPride
05-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Guess I'm the clown.

Carry on clowns.

Fuk yo clowning, clown :lol:toast