PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Which team benefits more....

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:04 AM
....from the refs chopping up a game with weak-ass foul calls?

Because this series has been ALL about FT shooting (ty TD).

So, this is it. Tonight. Game 7.

How do you think the game will be called? Tight? Loose?

Which ever, who benefits the most from either style?

My picks:

Loose = BOTH teams benefit. Manu gets to travel to all high hell (sorry Spurs fans, the guy is a traveling salesman who doesnt get called).

Tight = Spurs. When they call the games tight, it MOST DEFINATELY benefits the Spurs. The Pistons bigs get into foul trouble (*cough*Sheed) and force the Pistons into a weird tepidness from trying to stop penetration. Suddenly, the two foreigners can drive all day. Coincidence?

But you know what? The fix was in on Tuesday (game 6), and the Pistons over came it and won. Rasheed Wallace only playing 21 minutes. What a bunch of Bullsh*t. That was a gross-misconduct, then the quick T's for...?!

Regardless, Pistons win tonight because they OVERCOME these factors. The most mentally tough team in modern sports. IF they win tonight, that fact will most definately be validated. You cant kill em.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO PISTONS!

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-23-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm not going to address the ref's part at all. Except for the part about Manu.

You're telling me that they let Manu run wild and travel like crazy, yet Tony has two/three travelling calls levied against him every game.

Come on.

Jimcs50
06-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Detroit wins FT contest, they are much better at FTs.

I am hoping for a game where the refs are not even noticed.

Let them play.

SAtown
06-23-2005, 11:12 AM
If Manu travels, why don't the refs call it?
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList
Section III.

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Detroit wins FT contest, they are much better at FTs.

I am hoping for a game where the refs are not even noticed.

Let them play.

I couldnt agree more. I am with you....I hope they arent noticed at all. Not even a little.

Detroit is a better FT% team, but check the stat line....which team has shot more free throws? I understand you have the 2 guards who can carve ALOT, but look at the numbers.

Its ridiculously weighted to the Spurs.

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:17 AM
If Manu travels, why don't the refs call it?
http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList
Section III.

I dont know why. He doesnt do it EVERY time. But he does do it ALOT. If he has a path and doesnt have to change direction on his way to the rack, he doesnt.

But if he has to change directions and PASS, he travels nearly every time. NEALRY EVERY TIME!

So, you asked why they dont call it? Because when he travels, he isnt shooting.

bigzak25
06-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Spurs cannot afford to look to the refs for ANY help.

Take it strong. Dunk the motherfucker if you can. Nothing easy tonight.

Of course a tightly called game benefits the Spurs, the Pistons foul more and the Spurs drive more...but considering the Spurs FT troubles of late...i'll call it a draw. :)

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
^ good point.

i just doubt TD will continue his woes at the line.

sa_butta
06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Spurs cannot afford to look to the refs for ANY help.

Take it strong. Dunk the motherfucker if you can. Nothing easy tonight.

Of course a tightly called game benefits the Spurs, the Pistons foul more and the Spurs drive more...but considering the Spurs FT troubles of late...i'll call it a draw. :)totally agree take it strong, but dont wait for the calls just keep playing.

Phenomanul
06-23-2005, 11:26 AM
You complain about phantom Manu traveling calls?????

Freaking Billups carries the ball on just about every possesion...
Sheed and Dice almost always move on the picks they set for your guards...
And the incessant hacking...!!! AHHHH....

Face it, your players have more "rule-breaking" idiosyncrasies than ours....

nkdlunch
06-23-2005, 11:28 AM
DarkReign

stop crying about the refs please! You're making Pistons Fans look like cry babies. whaaaa, whaaaa :cry :baby :cry :baby

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Ok...which one of your BIG-starters have EVER been in foul trouble this series?

TP and MG had 5 fouls each ONCE in seperate game. I think it was games 3 & 4.

SWC Bonfire
06-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Refs swallow their wistles in game 7. It's going to be a hockey match.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Spurs have better depth than the Pistons so a tightly called game favors SA IMO. On top of that I think that the Spurs guards are better at getting to the hoop and drawing fouls than Rip and Billups, so there's another plus. If things get called loose I really think that the Pistons are in a better position because of all the contact they create. I'm not complaining about the refs, just saying that when the game gets called loose the Pistons don't have to step up their physicality, they set the tone of it.

DDS4
06-23-2005, 11:33 AM
....from the refs chopping up a game with weak-ass foul calls?

Because this series has been ALL about FT shooting (ty TD).

So, this is it. Tonight. Game 7.

How do you think the game will be called? Tight? Loose?

Which ever, who benefits the most from either style?

My picks:

Loose = BOTH teams benefit. Manu gets to travel to all high hell (sorry Spurs fans, the guy is a traveling salesman who doesnt get called).

Tight = Spurs. When they call the games tight, it MOST DEFINATELY benefits the Spurs. The Pistons bigs get into foul trouble (*cough*Sheed) and force the Pistons into a weird tepidness from trying to stop penetration. Suddenly, the two foreigners can drive all day. Coincidence?

But you know what? The fix was in on Tuesday (game 6), and the Pistons over came it and won. Rasheed Wallace only playing 21 minutes. What a bunch of Bullsh*t. That was a gross-misconduct, then the quick T's for...?!

Regardless, Pistons win tonight because they OVERCOME these factors. The most mentally tough team in modern sports. IF they win tonight, that fact will most definately be validated. You cant kill em.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO PISTONS!

Spurs might get the majority of the calls but did you consider all the non-calls that happened in Detroit? Tim gets raped in the paint, especially with the non-call on Wallace clearly breaking his arm for a non-call/steal.

The Pistons are constantly fouling playing defense and the refs let them get away with it. I don't blame them...if it doesn't get called, I would do the same thing too.

When was the last time you heard a 3-second violation on Ben Wallace or an over-the-back call?

And when they finally do get a call against them, they act as if it was the worst call in Pistons history. All the theatrics and overreaction will get you technicals. You never see the Spurs act that way.

easjer
06-23-2005, 11:46 AM
The fix was in during game 6? Huh? I didn't see shit like that. I saw a game called pretty evenly.

I know fans always think that their team gets shafted on the road, but seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

MadDog73
06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
With Rasheed jawing at Tim while he was shooting Free Throws, I was sure he'd pick up a Tech.

But he didn't. Fans are never happy with all the calls, no matter who wins.

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I am talking about the last 5 mins of the 2nd quarter. I am talking about our (arguably) best player only playing 21 mins because he spent 5 of those minutes not playing his usual defense because he had 5 fouls in the 4th. He gets 2 quick in the 1st (sits). 2 in the 2nd (sits until midway 3rd). 1 reeeeeal quick in 3rd (sits until the very very end of 4th).

What, you think the glorious Mr. Nice Guy never fouls and gets away with it? TD doesnt do it as much (i am not blind), but he does and gets away with it. Where is TD's 5 fouls? Or even bunk-ass Nazr?

The only reason the Spurs were even IN THE DAMN GAME was because of the refs.

It was a gift, whether you fans realise it or not, and you blew it.

violentkitten
06-23-2005, 11:52 AM
piston fan already making excuses. poor bastard.

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:52 AM
With Rasheed jawing at Tim while he was shooting Free Throws, I was sure he'd pick up a Tech.

But he didn't. Fans are never happy with all the calls, no matter who wins.

Oooooo....I seen that, too. I have to agree...that was a very small gift in comparison because he very well could have been tossed.

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 11:53 AM
piston fan already making excuses. poor bastard.

Nope. No excuses. Pistons won dude...which game were you watching?

IF they let em play tonight, Spurs are done.

The East is much more physical (Indiana, Detroit, heck even Cleveland & Philly). Who is physical in the West?

Oh, thats right. I forget that there is only ONE friggin team in the entire conference that even cares about defense. That team just so happens to be 1 game away from a championship.

The West is soft. All flash, no flavor.

easjer
06-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Wow. You are a moron.

Shrug. If that's the way you see it, ok. I won't waste my breath trying to argue with you. If the Spurs win, it's because the refs bailed their sorry ass flashy soft non aggressive no talent butts. Got it. Surely, it will have nothing to do with better play, offense, defense or anything like that. Noted!

violentkitten
06-23-2005, 11:58 AM
you're already making excuses, dude.

spurs didnt get 3 wins in this series thanks to the refs, dude. now sack up and shut up.

NallhOnesTy
06-23-2005, 12:01 PM
i hope it is called loose that is the best basketball to watch

weebo
06-23-2005, 12:02 PM
For those of you who think officiating doesn't influence a game, that's where you're wrong. I wouldn't necessarily look at fouls that are being called, rather look at the fouls not being called. Free throw disparity means squat when an official is allowed to let one team dictate the flow of the game[it also doesn't help that the Spurs are a poor shooting FT team]. The series IMO has been extremely physical and this benefits a team like the Pistons. Eliminate the grabbing, pushing, and hand slapping, the game favors the Spurs. Unfortunately, the Spurs haven't been able to adjust to the officiating.

DarkReign
06-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Wow. You are a moron.

Shrug. If that's the way you see it, ok. I won't waste my breath trying to argue with you. If the Spurs win, it's because the refs bailed their sorry ass flashy soft non aggressive no talent butts. Got it. Surely, it will have nothing to do with better play, offense, defense or anything like that. Noted!

Whoooooooa!

I never said the refs MADE them win. I never said they werent a damn fine team. Jesus!

I just said it BENEFITS them and that, yes!, some times it seems to come down to the refs late in this series (barring the 1st 4 games...I think I can speak for both sides....none of those games were indicative of the way the series SHOULD have been).

You do realise if TD hits all his damn FTs in game 5, it would have never come down to Horry? Thats one chance...

You do realise the Spurs were so handily outplayed in game 6, the score shouldnt have been that close. Check the stat line. Thats two chances...

FTs attempted / made by postion

PF - TimD: 5/10
SF - Manu: 5/8

PF - Sheed: 0-1 (foul trouble...see TDs attempts)
SF - Prince: 4/5 (2 "and-1" plays)

Granted, Manu can penetrate basically at will. He'll get his. TD is a helluva player. But this one kills me......

Brent friggin-broke-ass-old Barry: 4-5 (1 "and-1" play)

Gross to say the least.

violentkitten
06-23-2005, 12:11 PM
:baby stop complaining about the refs

DarkReign
06-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Hmmmmmm....