PDA

View Full Version : Pop joked that OKC's hack-a-splitter strategy was "Unprofessional."

flipcritic
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
:lol

Holt's Cat
05-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Nice, though desperate is more fitting.

davidbowie
05-29-2012, 11:14 PM
they shook!

Beanzamillion21
05-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah, it was a pretty weak attempt at a turn around. Tiago was what 50% tonight from the line? Thunder about broke even on that front. What I want to know is Tiago's Season average on the road for free throws.

mVp
05-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Tiago better work on those FTs

Mr. Body
05-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Disagree with the above. It had a big impact on the game. The Spurs were completely rolling and it broke the flow completely. In the 4th quarter the Thunder were able to take the reins and force momentum in their favor.

T Park
05-29-2012, 11:20 PM
It had zero impact.

The Spurs had a 2 point bigger lead after the hack a splitter.

Floyd Pacquiao
05-29-2012, 11:22 PM
twas a good joke

ffadicted
05-29-2012, 11:25 PM
It had zero impact.

The hacking itself had some effect, they just couldn't finish the job on the offensive

ShoogarBear
05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Eh, I think the hacking may have gotten them just enough out of rhythm to contribute to the stagnation of the offense in the fourth quarter.

100%duncan
05-30-2012, 12:04 AM
It had big impact. Tony said it in his post game in the court and in the press.

Spurs9
05-30-2012, 12:09 AM
It looked like Brooks was pissed after T he got called on him, so out of a knee jerk reaction he told Perkins to foul Splitter. I don't know if he thought that would work, or he was trying to get back at Pop somehow.

ShoogarBear
05-30-2012, 12:12 AM
It had big impact. Tony said it in his post game in the court and in the press.

Although I wouldn't put it past Tony and Pop to say that because they want Brooks to do it again.

DAF86
05-30-2012, 12:15 AM
It had zero impact.

Kenny said that the Thunder were +1 during the hack a splitter stretch. Either way I think it worked but not because of the pts scored during that stretch but because it totally got the Spurs out of the zone they were in, it provoked for Tiago who was playing great to get out of the game and for Pop to change his rotations.

If they aply this strategy with a more even scoreboard and earlier in the game (like the end of the first quarter which is where Splitter usually gets in) it could present a problem for the Spurs.

T Park
05-30-2012, 12:17 AM
They had a 2 point bigger lead than they did when OKC started it.

It had zero impact.

smaka
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
I think they took this strategy in *pussy way*
I mean, you are pathetic if u do that in 3rd q..
But yeah, Tiago better work on his FT's...

DAF86

It had zero impact.

Damn, You're one close minded guy. :lol

Holt's Cat
Please have your bigs (and Durant :lol ) giving up fouls.

Aztecfan03
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Disagree with the above. It had a big impact on the game. The Spurs were completely rolling and it broke the flow completely. In the 4th quarter the Thunder were able to take the reins and force momentum in their favor.

The Spurs stopped rolling before the hacking started.

ShoogarBear
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM

It had zero impact.

That's an incredibly limited way of looking at it. What happened after they stopped doing it?

tuncaboylu
05-30-2012, 12:24 AM
It had no impact, because when it started momentum was already shifting to Thunder before that. Our wind at the start of 3rd period was slowed and they were already approaching.

OZWIN
05-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Was worth a try but didn't work out. :lol

T Park
05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Damn, You're one close minded guy. :lol

The lead got bigger after they did it.

Tell me again how thats such a win.

T Park
05-30-2012, 12:31 AM
That's an incredibly limited way of looking at it. What happened after they stopped doing it?

The Spurs stood around bricked open threes and were lazy with the basketball and their passes.

Clearly Tiago Splitter's FT are the culprit.

Obstructed_View
05-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure how hacking Tiago Splitter suddenly made Tim Duncan start booting the fucking ball when he came back in.

Steve-O-Matic
05-30-2012, 12:50 AM
The strategy absolutely worked for OKC. The lead was 16 when it started and 16 when it ended, but far more importantly it got the Spurs completely out of their offensive rhythm (and took the fans out of the game). When normal play resumed again the Spurs had lost their mojo, stopped attacking/penetrating, and couldn't hit water if they shot the ball off a boat, as the lead subsequently shrunk into the single digits from that point forward. OKC had to do something different, they did, and it got them back in the game after it had begun spiraling out of their control.

DAF86
05-30-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how hacking Tiago Splitter suddenly made Tim Duncan start booting the fucking ball when he came back in.

For starters Duncan should have been resting during that time.

Spurtacus
05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Pop will make an adjustment and not have Splitter in the game late 1st/late 3rd. It could mean minutes for Blair or just Timmy playing the entire quarter. Either way I don't see this as a factor going into game 3.

LoneStarState'sPride
05-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Pop will make an adjustment and not have Splitter in the game late 1st/late 3rd. It could mean minutes for Blair or just Timmy playing the entire quarter. Either way I don't see this as a factor going into game 3.

Giving Blair some burn would be perfect--he killed OKC during the regular season and he hasn't really even seen the floor this series.

Agloco
05-30-2012, 01:08 AM
The strategy absolutely worked for OKC. The lead was 16 when it started and 16 when it ended, but far more importantly it got the Spurs completely out of their offensive rhythm (and took the fans out of the game). When normal play resumed again the Spurs had lost their mojo, stopped attacking/penetrating, and couldn't hit water if they shot the ball off a boat, as the lead subsequently shrunk into the single digits from that point forward. OKC had to do something different, they did, and it got them back in the game after it had begun spiraling out of their control.

Meh, I'm thinking that the small lineup with Ibaka at the 5 and switching on the PnR had more to do with the Spurs' issues in the 4th than anything regarding Splitter.

crc21209
05-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Gotta love Pops sense of humor. :lol But yeah, the Hack-A-Splitter might not have cost the Spurs their lead, but it did take them out of their rhythm a bit....

ShoogarBear
05-30-2012, 01:22 AM

Duncan was booting the ball the entire game. Other than the dunk and hitting his FTs, it was about the worst game on the offensive end imaginable from him. He did have six assists, but I would need to see the game tape to see where those came from.

Drz
05-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Hopefully this is obvious to most people, but for those unaware, the two key benefits to Hack-A-Shaq are:

1. You foul early in the shot clock, giving your team possession earlier and more time to utilize.

2. You get to setup your defense after the FT.

Obstructed_View
05-30-2012, 01:44 AM
For starters Duncan should have been resting during that time.

Um, he was. He started booting the ball when he came in for Splitter.

Josepatches_
05-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Although I wouldn't put it past Tony and Pop to say that because they want Brooks to do it again.

Good point.

They shouldn't say "hack-a-splitter" kill us if they believe it's truth.So i guess they aren't worried about and they want Brooks to do it again.

Anyway if Tiago can made 50% or better it's not really bad for us.

And when you going to the line a couple of times in a row you should shoot better. In fact his % in game 2 was better than it was in game 1. He never was Mark Price but he was a 69% FT shooter this year. He should make more when he gets in rhythm

Talking about hack a someone I can't see the point to do it except when you are afraid of some players and you want to remove them from the court or minimize their damage.

For example: Shaq or Ben Wallace.

But there is no reason to do it if you think the opposite team is better without him on the court. They would sit him so the opposite team will be better and you will be in the bonus.

So hack-a-Splitter to put Duncan again on the court isn't a great move mostly times imo.

DAF86
05-30-2012, 02:22 AM
Um, he was. He started booting the ball when he came in for Splitter.

Well, that's what I'm saying. Duncan wouldn't have came back before the end of the 3rd quarter if it wasn't for the hack a Splitter.

therealtruth
05-30-2012, 02:34 AM
So hack-a-Splitter to put Duncan again on the court isn't a great move mostly times imo.

It is if it prevents him from getting his rest and messes up rotations.

dunkman
05-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Splitter is lethal with the ball in his hands tbh, so its a good strategy to avoid the Spurs break open. But Splitter will shot better the next game.

The Spurs need either Duncan or Splitter playing to protect the rim on defense, Blair can't do that.

gsmith78
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Meh, I'm thinking that the small lineup with Ibaka at the 5 and switching on the PnR had more to do with the Spurs' issues in the 4th than anything regarding Splitter.

This. Spurs penetration all but disappeared in the 4th when OKC started to switch on every screen while they played small ball. Pop needs to figure out a way to counter that tactic (let Tony and Manu attack Ibaka one on one after the switch?) before game 3 or it is going to be an ugly, grind it out game.

OldSilentHill
05-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Nothing has zero impact. Everytime with a change someone loses and someone wins.

We didnīt win. Take you own conclusions.

Durant 35
05-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Didn't pop do it vs the clippers?

OldSilentHill
05-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Didn't pop do it vs the clippers?

Pop used sarcasm.

silverblackfan
05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I think it help the Thunder in two ways. 1) Got the Spurs out of their incredible offensive zone. 2) Slowed down the game so OKC could catch a breath.
In the end, it still was not enough. The Spurs got their Mojo back and OKC was still too tired in the 4th quarter to finish the game.
I for one am glad Tiago got some practice under the big lights and pressure. He seemed to start shooting better and got out of his own head at the foul line. Bring it on again, we can use the fouls on their bigs and Tiago can use the practice.

KaiRMD1
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
I find it funny that the Thunder needed to slow down the Spurs with the Hack-a-splitter.

Budkin
05-30-2012, 11:24 AM
It was a great strategy in my opinion. Always is.

Mugen
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Meh, i'm only a fan of it when Pop uses it like he did against the Clippers. When they're up big and trying to stop a comeback.

When's Pop used it the way Brooks did last night when they're down big, it's pretty much a desperation move and a white flag, IMO.

Legacy
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
:pop: -- The fuckers stole my strategy, dammit!!

Fabbs
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
It looked like Brooks was pissed after T he got called on him, so out of a knee jerk reaction he told Perkins to foul Splitter. I don't know if he thought that would work, or he was trying to get back at Pop somehow.
Spurs9.
Love the photo.

Is it possible to get one of Kobitch only goin fishin?

OldSilentHill
05-30-2012, 12:53 PM
2.35 about Splitter.

xTcq8pAslTw