PDA

View Full Version : lol at the suggestion that phil jackson

FkLA
05-30-2012, 04:44 AM
is a better coach than Pop.

One is an Xs and Os genius, great motivator, that commands respect. The other is a glorified manager of headcases that lets his GOAT players 'play themselves out of rough stretches'.

William Hung
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't see why one has to be better. I just consider them both great coaches. You can argue rings and talent all day, but I don't think you can classify coaches in a top 10 like you could with a player imo. Red, Riley, Brown, Jackson, Popovich - all great coaches

lebomb
05-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Jackson has always had the best NBA player on his squad. Why has he never taken over a coaching job where he has to build the team? Yeah, he may be smart for not doing that, but it tarnishes his coaching legend to me.

Budkin
05-30-2012, 01:43 PM
I do respect him for being able to get all those egos to work together. And he's got 10 rings. I prefer Pop though.

lebomb
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Give me Jordan or Kobe in their prime...........with anyone...... custodians and shit. We would win titles.

Spur_Fanatic
05-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Different coaches, different systems.

For example, I'd hate to have Phill on a "must develope this rookie" situation, or in a rebuilding phase. His system relied more on a big name or two, and center on them, and try to get the best out those roleplayers around them.

And he did well on that system.

tesseractive
05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
11 titles with 3 different best players... that's pretty overwhelming success. I have no problem with calling Phil the GOAT, really.

But I personally like the Auerbach/Pop approach of building a team year after year, plugging away approach better. After Phil leaves a team, the Magic Man is gone and the situation deteriorates. After Auerbach stepped back from coaching, the team kept the system in place and kept competing at a high level through rebuilding periods. I think Pop's system here is going to prove to be like Red's.

Spurs da champs
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Give me Jordan or Kobe in their prime...........with anyone...... custodians and shit. We would win titles.

What did Kobe win after Shaq got traded & before Gasol got their? And you can argue you that in all his championship teams but the 1 in 2010 he wasn't even the best damn player!

BRHornet45
05-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Sons Phil Jackson is nothing more than a glorified baby sitter.

LOL at people saying "wow he got all of those egos to work together" ... big deal. Let's just be real and call it like it was. Jackson was paid $10 million a year to "coach" the media friendly teams with the absolute best players in the world and told to just show up and be their friend and make sure they got along. Oh and to just tell everyone to pass the ball to Jordan and Shaq.

rayjayjohnson
05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't see why one has to be better. I just consider them both great coaches. You can argue rings and talent all day, but I don't think you can classify coaches in a top 10 like you could with a player imo. Red, Riley, Brown, Jackson, Popovich - all great coaches

this.

why does everything have to be an argument.

Pop and PJ are both amazing coaches. Nuff said.

rayjayjohnson
05-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Sons Phil Jackson is nothing more than a glorified baby sitter.

LOL at people saying "wow he got all of those egos to work together" ... big deal. Let's just be real and call it like it was. Jackson was paid $10 million a year to "coach" the media friendly teams with the absolute best players in the world and told to just show up and be their friend and make sure they got along. Oh and to just tell everyone to pass the ball to Jordan and Shaq.

Son, I don't entirely agree. Wouldn't you think coaching a team in a media market like LA gives PJ one big challenge Pop doesn't have to worry about.

And also son, that argument covers 7-9, but knowing as you do that Kobe is a glorified chucker with a penchant for white hotel workers, how does that explain 10-11?

JamStone
05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Something to be said of having a system, firmly believing in it, making players (great or not) believe in it enough to win 10 championships. How many rings do Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe have before and after Phil Jackson? 1. Seems you have to give at least some credit to Phil Jackson. How many rings would Popovich have without Tim Duncan? Honestly, how many? Great coaches, successful coaches need great players or they won't have success.

That's not to say one is better than the other or that neither is a great coach. But without great players, a coach will experience very little success. That's just the way it is. It's not like Duncan wouldn't have been a great player without Pop. And posters on these boards, specifically Spurs fans, always argue how Ginobili and Parker are HOF players too. So now you're talking about Pop having some combination of (arguably) 4 HOFers on each of his title teams. Coaches don't get that success without great players.

JamStone
05-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Something to be said of having a system, firmly believing in it, making players (great or not) believe in it enough to win 10 championships. How many rings do Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe have before and after Phil Jackson? 1. Seems you have to give at least some credit to Phil Jackson. How many rings would Popovich have without Tim Duncan? Honestly, how many? Great coaches, successful coaches need great players or they won't have success.

That's not to say one is better than the other or that neither is a great coach. But without great players, a coach will experience very little success. That's just the way it is. It's not like Duncan wouldn't have been a great player without Pop. And posters on these boards, specifically Spurs fans, always argue how Ginobili and Parker are HOF players too. So now you're talking about Pop having some combination of (arguably) 4 HOFers on each of his title teams. Coaches don't get that success without great players.

rayjayjohnson
05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
PJ deserves props for having to try to coach MJ and Kobe in the first place.

FkLA
05-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Obviously every other all-time coach relies on their superstars pretty heavily but I think its fair to say that no modern coach has had the talent Jackson has had to work with. The guy is good at managing egos and good at managing headcases like Rodman/MWP. But wasnt Tex Winter basically his offensive coordinator in Chicago? And his whole approach to games is to basically sit back and let his stars win it for him. He gets credit for stupid shit like not calling timeouts during opposing teams big runs and letting his teams 'play themselves out of it'. Doesnt get the most out of his players, at times even being a detriment by putting them down publicly. Hes not even a good motivator tbh.

Nothing really stands out about the guy other than being a solid team manager, or in BRSpirits words a glorified babysitter. Ill take Brown and Pop over him easily would probably take guys like Karl and Adelman too.