PDA

View Full Version : 8 Year-Old Gets 'Catastrophe Award' for Most Homework Excuses

Viva Las Espuelas
05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
She's a mother :lmao
In all her parental glory, I'm sure she's more satisfied talking to a TV station about her "outrage" over her wittle baby being embarrassed at school.

Pendeja!! :rollin

The mother of an 8-year-old Arizona girl who was presented with a"Catastrophe Award" for apparently having the most excuses for not having homework believes her child was humiliated by her teacher.Christina Valdez said her daughter, Cassandra Garcia, came home one day from class at Desert Springs Academy in Tucson, Ariz., with the paper award.The document, which looks like a colorful card, contained the following message: "You're Tops! Catastrophe Award. Awarded to Cassandra Garcia. For Most Excuses for Not Having Homework."The teacher signed the card "Ms. Plowman," added the date - May 18, 2012 - and even included a smiley face.The teacher announced the award in front of the entire class, and the other students laughed at her daughter,Luck_The_Fakers_Valdez said in a Thursday interview with ABC TV affiliate KGUN-TV in TucsonLuck_The_Fakers_.When she contacted the school to complain, the principal "blew me off," Valdez added. "She said it was a joke that was played and that the teachers joke around with the children."But Valdez told KGUN that she didn't find any of it funny."I think it's cruel and no child should be given an award like this. It's disturbing," she said, adding that she was not aware her daughter had a problem with homework, and that the girl had been enrolled in an after-school homework assistance program.Desert Springs Academy's principal declined to comment to a KGUN reporter, the affiliate reported.

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm all for criticizing lazy parenting and I'm all for pointing fingers at whiny mothers but this award is obnoxious and uncalled for. If this kid was in fact enrolled in an after school program for homework can we not assume that this mother is at least seeking some guidance and help. To insult and publicly humiliate an 8 year old really shows what an egotistical self righteous coward this teacher really is. This teacher really showed her true love of teaching by mocking a defenseless little girl in front of her peers.

Not all surprised to see you defend that.

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm all for criticizing lazy parenting and I'm all for pointing fingers and whiny mothers but this award is obnoxious and uncalled for. If this kid was in fact enrolled in an after school program for homework can we not assume that this mother is at least seeking some guidance and help. To insult and publicly humiliate an 8 year old really shows what an egotistical self righteous coward this teacher really is. This teacher really showed her true love of teaching by mocking a defenseless little girl in front of her peers.

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm not fixing that either.

cantthinkofanything
05-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm all for criticizing lazy parenting and I'm all for pointing fingers and whiny mothers but this award is obnoxious and uncalled for. If this kid was in fact enrolled in an after school program for homework can we not assume that this mother is at least seeking some guidance and help. To insult and publicly humiliate an 8 year old really shows what an egotistical self righteous coward this teacher really is. This teacher really showed her true love of teaching by mocking a defenseless little girl in front of her peers.

Let's try something. Close your eyes. Replay the story in your head. Pretend your are in the classroom situated above everyone. You hear the award given out, the class laughing. Now open your eyes. What color is the girl? Is she laughing too? Does she have a knife? Doesn't look so defenseless now does she?

manufan10
05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm all for criticizing lazy parenting and I'm all for pointing fingers at whiny mothers but this award is obnoxious and uncalled for. If this kid was in fact enrolled in an after school program for homework can we not assume that this mother is at least seeking some guidance and help. To insult and publicly humiliate an 8 year old really shows what an egotistical self righteous coward this teacher really is. This teacher really showed her true love of teaching by mocking a defenseless little girl in front of her peers.

:lmao

Was this your daughter?

Viva Las Espuelas
05-30-2012, 01:30 PM
He obviously doesn't see how stupid taking this to the TV station is. Considering the source, Its no surprise.

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 01:36 PM
:lmao

Was this your daughter?No its just an obvious observation. No one is more critical of the current state of parenting and the absolute void of responsibility and general babying behavioral patterns we see daily. I'm always first in line to drop the blame on the home front before the school front. I think its a good thing to ride and push young kids. But what was gained by condescendingly awarding this child for failure? This was not a push in the right direction. Mocking, insulting and belittling an 8 year old is about as unproductive as it gets. Its classless and cowardly.

Had this teacher sent the mother this award I might...might have laughed but she choose to embarrass a child she should be motivating.

As a parent I would probably be pissed off too. Her job is to teach not insult, belittle or attack the psyche of a child. If the kid is unteachable or unmanageable then say something but this fucking school yard form of entertainment is in poor taste.

manufan10
05-30-2012, 01:38 PM
He obviously doesn't see how stupid taking this to the TV station is. Considering the source, Its no surprise.

If the mother and the daughter were really humiliated, by a class no larger than 30, how much more humiliated should they be now that this has been brought to light by national media? Now there is even more people laughing at them. :lol

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 01:42 PM
He obviously doesn't see how stupid taking this to the TV station is. Considering the source, Its no surprise.I never said it wasn't stupid taking it to the TV station. Its no surprise that the best you have is to create a stance that I never took so you could tear it down instead of actually discussing the topic. I would never have approached TV or print but that is besides the point.

She did in fact contact the school first. Its not as if she didn't seek an explanation.

But more importantly despite the fact that you don't agree with how she handled it the teacher was way out of line.

You want to attack the parent fine. If its justified its justified but attacking an 8 year old the way this teacher did was completely pointless and only fueled by self serving entertainment. This teacher wasn't "teaching" this kid anything.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Funny. I never made my stance about what the teacher did, either.

Considering the source, Its no surprise.
:wakeup

JudynTX
05-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Did the student pass or get held back?

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 01:52 PM

:wakeupThen redeem yourself. This mother or who you called a "Pendeja" was blown off by the school over this. Instead of standing by or letting it go she choose to go to war.

So feel free to clarify.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Going to a TV station wouldn't be on my list of options. That's why she's a pendeja. Saying that she had no idea of this problem shows that she's a pendeja. I don't believe she made any mention that she didn't receive any progress reports or anything of the such. If I was unaware of the problem and I didn't receive any progress reports, much less pay attention to her frickin' report card, then I'd be saying I never received any notification of any problem.

I'd deal with that, first, before I went to any damn TV station and before I dealt with the teacher on what she did.

Chingo Bling
05-30-2012, 02:33 PM
That dumb bish. Che's not paying attention to her hija. It's her fault that the little mensa got that award. How did che not know that her homework wasn't getting done. That afterschool chit obviously wasn't working.

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Going to a TV station wouldn't be on my list of options. That's why she's a pendeja. Saying that she had no idea of this problem shows that she's a pendeja. I don't believe she made any mention that she didn't receive any progress reports or anything of the such. If I was unaware of the problem and I didn't receive any progress reports, much less pay attention to her frickin' report card, then I'd be saying I never received any notification of any problem.

I'd deal with that, first, before I went to any damn TV station and before I dealt with the teacher on what she did.
So basically you refuse to address the teachers actions which is what specifically prompted the response from the parent.

I don't think her commit about having "no idea" that there was an issue is as telling or damning as you want it to be. It sounds like what she was saying was that she wasn't aware of any current pressing issues and followed that up with the fact that her child was receiving after school care for the very problem the teacher attacked the child over. Basically saying that the issue was being addressed and that she wasn't aware of any pressing problems moving forward...that is until her child was singled out and ridiculed by a grown adult.

Her statement doesn't at all suggest that she was completely oblivious. Only that she wasn't aware of further issue beyond the after school care her child was receiving.

I think you're quick to jump on this lady because she chose to wage a war in defense of her child instead of piling on the kid like the teacher did. You've now overreacted to her overreaction.

O.J. Simpson
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Instead of wasting your time bitching to a TV station about your retarded daughter, how about using that energy to making your kid less retarded?

manufan10
05-30-2012, 02:46 PM
She should be happy that her daughter got an award, tbh.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
So basically you refuse to address the teachers actions which is what specifically prompted the response from the parent.
You obviously can't read.

Considering the source, Its no surprise.

Jt.ONE
05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
:lol how hard is it to just simply do the damn hw in the first place?

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-30-2012, 02:55 PM
lol people who can't see how lazy and egotistical teachers are and instead want to criticize a mom for defending her daughter.

If the teacher was so frustrated and concerned over the daughter making excuses for not doing homework, why didn't the teacher ever contact the mom? Teachers always bitch and moan about not being paid enough, why don't they ever take some initiative and demonstrate why they deserve more pay.

Reck
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I read the title as "8 year-Old Gets 'Castrated Award' for Most Homework Excuses"

:lol

desflood
05-30-2012, 03:08 PM
:lol how hard is it to just simply do the damn hw in the first place?
Adults see that more easily than kids do, unfortunately. So many times I've had to say, "Just jump through the damn hoops now, son, and someday when you're an adult you won't have to anymore." :lol

If the girl was actually embarrassed by this she'll start doing the homework. If not, then it's mom with the problem.

ploto
05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
If the teacher was so frustrated and concerned over the daughter making excuses for not doing homework, why didn't the teacher ever contact the mom?

But how do you know she did not. I talked with a couple of teachers last week who had screaming parents because their kids are going to fail a class, and somehow in the last month of school suddenly think something should be done about it. These are teachers who have called the home throughout the school year; sent e-mails to the home; sent notes home, and never once heard from the parent. These are schools with all the grades online for the parent to see that the kid has tons of 0's. But nothing. Too late.

If an 8-year old is not doing her homework, the parents have some responsibility. Sending her to some program and expecting them to fix it is not being a parent.

That being said- the award thing is stupid. I am guessing that the teacher (like many elementary teachers) gave every student some kind of award to end the school year, and she gave this girl the award for the most excuses for not doing her homework. All part of the idea that every kid is great at something and she was tops at this.

mrsmaalox
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Dumb teacher.

Viva Las Espuelas
05-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Dumber parent

Wilford Brimley
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Dumber kid

JMarkJohns
05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
When I was in high school a parent of the student voted "class clown" protested the result and had it removed as a "honor" section of the yearbook because she thought the idea made a mockery of education and her son. Always thought is was pretty stupid to make such a big deal, because the school wasn't so big her son could just hide or live it down.

Now, maybe the girl escapes this national embarrassment because she doesn't know most of those now laughing at the matter, her mother, her educational experience.

But, it is ironic that the mother is complaining about how this has embarrassed the daughter while technically furthering the embarrassment.

That said, teach was stupid for not just sending the card to the parents address, this way there's no "traumatizing" for the 8-YO, and we probably never hear about this mother who clearly never understood the value of the question, "Have any homework?" or its sibling followup, "Have all your homework to turn in?" while doublechecking to make sure her little irresponsible angel wasn't lying.

JMarkJohns
05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Dumber kid

Should have heeded your advice, huh!

http://turquoisehexagon.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/wilfred-brimley-for-quaker-oatmeal_-19881.jpg

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
But how do you know she did not.
When in doubt, I assume the teacher did as little as possible. Public school teachers for whatever reason are put on a pedestal and viewed as heroes in society but as a whole they're an extremely lazy group of people.

Wilford Brimley
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Bitch sound like she has diabeetus

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Bitch sound like she has diabeetus
Ya think it hurts when she pees?

FuzzyLumpkins
05-30-2012, 08:49 PM

No, you just ridiculed her actions and then said it was not newsworthy. Which is ironic because its you that put up the OP.

i don't think this is important so lets talk about it.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3426112

Other not newsworthy threads started by VLE. Soap opera stars, incest, pedophilia, OJ and Oprah and where people take a dump. That's worthy of talking about in VLE world.

ploto
05-30-2012, 11:49 PM
When in doubt, I assume the teacher did as little as possible. Public school teachers for whatever reason are put on a pedestal and viewed as heroes in society but as a whole they're an extremely lazy group of people.

Charter school

Viva Las Espuelas
05-31-2012, 09:25 PM
No, you just ridiculed her actionsyep
and then said it was not newsworthy.ummmm, i did????? see, this is another ritalin sponsored moment where you pull "my words" out of your ass. it's really quite funny because everytime to you come at me, i'm scratching my head, thinking, "where did this jackass pull this out of?". you can go back to each instance and see for yourself. my whole point for posting this here was to show how stupid it was of the mother to go to a tv station because her daughter got made fun of in front of the whole class. WHAT IN THE HELL DOES GOING TO A TV STATION DO TO MAKE THE SITUATION ANY BETTER?!!!!!!! :lmao are you that dense to get that from all of my posts in here???
i don't think this is important so lets talk about it.probably another ritalin sponsored moment of yours and i'm not about to figure out or ask what you meant

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3426112

Other not newsworthy threads started by VLE. Soap opera stars, incest, pedophilia, OJ and Oprah and where people take a dump. That's worthy of talking about in VLE world.hmmm. obsess much? this is a messageboard, flapjack. i'm sorry i'm not as refined as you, FuzzyLumpofShit, but i'm just here passing time. kindly, gfy :toast

newsworthy :lol

Drachen
05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
No its just an obvious observation. No one is more critical of the current state of parenting and the absolute void of responsibility and general babying behavioral patterns we see daily. I'm always first in line to drop the blame on the home front before the school front. I think its a good thing to ride and push young kids. But what was gained by condescendingly awarding this child for failure? This was not a push in the right direction. Mocking, insulting and belittling an 8 year old is about as unproductive as it gets. Its classless and cowardly.

Had this teacher sent the mother this award I might...might have laughed but she choose to embarrass a child she should be motivating.

As a parent I would probably be pissed off too. Her job is to teach not insult, belittle or attack the psyche of a child. If the kid is unteachable or unmanageable then say something but this fucking school yard form of entertainment is in poor taste.

Winning is rewarded/losing is punished?

apalisoc_9
06-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Listen Viva, the mother was dumb for not knowing the consequences of complaining that way she did. But she had every right to complain...I've never heard of a dumber and insulting teacher like this before..uncalled for..teacher should be fired..

FuzzyLumpkins
06-01-2012, 07:39 AM
yepummmm, i did????? see, this is another ritalin sponsored moment where you pull "my words" out of your ass. it's really quite funny because everytime to you come at me, i'm scratching my head, thinking, "where did this jackass pull this out of?". you can go back to each instance and see for yourself. my whole point for posting this here was to show how stupid it was of the mother to go to a tv station because her daughter got made fun of in front of the whole class. WHAT IN THE HELL DOES GOING TO A TV STATION DO TO MAKE THE SITUATION ANY BETTER?!!!!!!! :lmao are you that dense to get that from all of my posts in here???probably another ritalin sponsored moment of yours and i'm not about to figure out or ask what you meant
hmmm. obsess much? this is a messageboard, flapjack. i'm sorry i'm not as refined as you, FuzzyLumpofShit, but i'm just here passing time. kindly, gfy :toast

newsworthy :lol

So you felt that she shouldn't take it to the news yet it is newsworthy? uh-huh

As for obsessing. It took 2 clicks and 3 words. You are just an easy dickhead to troll and that you are a sanctimonious asshole makes it that much easier.

I really liked the part where you criticize her parenting when you have no idea other than your sanctimonious horseshit about what led up to that happening. If she had gone to the school for example and they told her to piss off then going to the press seems a good option. Whats next? Firebomb the school.

We don't have all the information but you paint it in such a way as you can play Dr. Phil but with more asshole and less concern for the kid.

And whats with your fetish with shit?

100%duncan
06-01-2012, 07:52 AM
That's harsh.