Any suggestions?

cantthinkofanything
05-30-2012, 01:23 PM
when you say, "carpet cleaning"...

BacktoBasics
05-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I can tell you who not to use.

http://txcarpet.com/

quite an attack on the yahoo search engine. Fueled by 700 something fake reviews all with hidden profiles.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AknhJBehat5iJ8OjqT_t4N2bvZx4?p=carpet+ cleaning+san+antonio&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

I worked for Stanley Steemer for 7-8 years. Probably wouldn't touch them either.

I'd go with a small operation.

cantthinkofanything
05-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I heard Cleveland Steamer is also pretty reliable.

Bobby Junk
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I'd get rid of the carpet.

bus driver
05-30-2012, 03:09 PM
my parents got their house carpet cleaned by Sears

i used one that joe pags is always talking about and it was alright. liked until like three weeks later it looked the same it did before they came. although they did say that it would take several cleanings to see a difference.

ploto
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Stanley Steamer was good once, but no one else was ever any good that I tried again- including them. My favorite was the one that showed up with only one guy who said I was supposed to help him move the furniture. That cleaning never even started!

step up to the mike
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
my parents got their house carpet cleaned by Sears

i used one that joe pags is always talking about and it was alright. liked until like three weeks later it looked the same it did before they came. although they did say that it would take several cleanings to see a difference.

That is why joe pags brags about them coming out every month. :lol

mrsmaalox
05-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Yuck, I'm glad I don't have any carpet in my house. I just don't know how possible it is to ever have truly clean carpet.

Blake
05-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Yuck, I'm glad I don't have any carpet in my house. I just don't know how possible it is to ever have truly clean carpet.

Yeah, I'm glad it's only upstairs.

RandomGuy
05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Any suggestions?

The small apartment complext that I do the books for has used UCS for as long as I have been doing the books.

http://www.ucscompanies.com/about.html

Mid size, full service company that has been around for a while.

Can't say it is the "best", as I don't have any experience with other companies, but they get the job done, come when you call them, and have an efficient business back end.

FWIW. I don't think they are the cheapest, but they are reliable.

RandomGuy
05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
At the risk of sounding like an uncool middle aged guy:

I would also suggest a buying a small stand up cleaner.

Big long link here should work. (https://www.google.com/search?q=stand+up+carpet+cleaner&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=#q=stand+up+carpet+cleaner&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=qJLGT-WJIqPu2gXn4IjCCA&ved=0COkBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=49f59994cc17b3a5&biw=1536&bih=662)

Small unit with about a gallon or so capacity to clean carpet about once a month or every other month, then use a professional service once per year. Heh, without kids/dogs, maybe less.

These can act as a wet vac as well, in a pinch.

Twisted_Dawg
05-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Once Stanley Steamer cleaned my carpets. The tech said it is always best to be the first appointment of the day, as I guess their equipment, filters, etc gets pretty "nasty" as the day progresses.

Most of those commercial cleaning crews get in and out so quick they don't really hit the carpet like they should. And most of the commercial crews wth the truck mounted units seem to leave a lot of water in the carpet, so be prepared to run your AC at frigid to pull the moisture out of the carpet.

Frankly, you can go rent a machine, take your time and do a better job than the "big boys" do.

Wilford Brimley
05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Back2Basics is back, why not get his wife to do it?

scott
05-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I've used this company. One man operation, the owner/dude who cleans is super cool and does a great job. Highly recommend.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/executive-clean-san-antonio

lefty
05-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Sunshine carpet cleaners

BacktoBasics
05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Just to clear up some misinformation here. You cannot do as good a job with any of those store bought or rental do it yourself machines. Long term use of those machines will severely reduce the life of your carpet. It will also void any warranty you may have.

The most effective carpet cleaning solvents are designed to be used with hot water reaching temps of 210 to 260. You won't crack 130 with anything being retailed.

The most significant problem with the retail cleaners is that they use soap. Partner that with low suction and poor water flow and you'll end with far dirtier carpets weeks later than you did prior. You don't want long dry times either. 4-6 hours at the most. None of these do it yourself machines have the ability to flush the soap from the carpet. So what you end up with is relatively clean carpet but loads of soapy residue that slowly dries and ends up attracting way more dust, dirt and dander than it should.

This is why years back they suggested holding off on cleaning the carpets as long as possible because they would begin to dirty faster and faster. Cold water detergents and soap was how they did it back in the day.

It well worth it to hire someone who knows what they're doing chemically and has the equipment to do the job right. This is why I suggested going with a small operation. Owner operated would be best. They're the ones most concerned with quality and long term customers instead of building tickets and earning commissions.

A good price point to consider would be about 100-150 bucks for 3-4 rooms. That would include pre-spray and moderate furniture moving. I can't speak for all companies but I only require customers to remove their valuables and breakables prior to arrival. We move the furniture sans the really big stuff.

BacktoBasics
05-31-2012, 03:07 PM
I've used this company. One man operation, the owner/dude who cleans is super cool and does a great job. Highly recommend.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/executive-clean-san-antonioThat's a good recommendation right there. Looking on his website he uses a Rotovac and truckmount. Definitely high quality equipment.

cantthinkofanything
05-31-2012, 03:19 PM
My name is Tanya.

I wasn't going to post in this thread again but noticed I'd have 5 in a row.